The Community Spotlight 2020.01.11

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello, and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight, and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to your host this week! This week, Dan officially started his job at WWE, and the remaining staff returned to the regular swing of things. However, don't let that convince you the Giant Bomb community wasn't up to its old tricks in making some really cool and wonderful things this week! With that in mind, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping as there are some items worth mentioning.

• Issues with embedding videos into blog and forum posts should be fixed. If you are still having issues, please use this link to file a bug report.
  • Voting for the 2019 Community GOTY is closed and you can expect the results soon-ish.
  • Some users are reporting the hamburger menu is not appearing when using Giant Bomb on the iPad. If that's you, please file a report using this link!

User-Created GOTY 2019 Content!

Author's Note: This will be the last week where I have a dedicated GOTY section in the Spotlight. I'm more than happy to continue showcasing GOTY lists and blogs, especially "Game of the Decade" lists and blogs. However, those lists and blogs will exist in the standard format from before GOTY.

User GOTY Lists

Geese continue to be assholes!
Geese continue to be assholes!

User GOTY Blogs

2019: REVIEWT Scamander! (By: @xenturik)

Giant Bomb user XenturiK is surprised and disappointed they haven't seen some of the games on their 2019 GOTY list pop up during discussions more often! Use the link to discover why!

Good to see Pokemon getting some love from the Giant Bomb community!
Good to see Pokemon getting some love from the Giant Bomb community!

Eat My Shorts, 2019 (By: @tizzzzzz)

Giant Bomb user Tizzzzzz took the time to look back at the games they played in 2019, and I think we can all agree they "nailed" the title of their blog!

My Favorite Video Games of 2019 (By: @gla55jaw)

gla55jAw finally got around to listing their favorite games from 2019! Use the link to give their blog a read and see which games topped their list!

MocBucket62's Top 10 Games of 2019 (By: @mocbucket62)

Giant Bomb user MocBucket62 has some real heavy-hitters on their 2019 GOTY as well as dozens of hilarious animated .gifs! Use the link above to enjoy both!

The Top Ten Games of The Year That I Probably Played (By: @liontard)

And this was certainly a
And this was certainly a "video game."

2019 wasn't a great year for Giant Bomb user Liontard, but they still managed to create a list of the ten games from the year that rocked their socks off. Give their blog a read and see which games managed to top their list!

Top Ten Games of 2019 (By: @samcb)

Samcb shares their GOTY list in video form.

Tweets Of The Week

Giant Bomb Galleria

Tingle x Alex & Yoshi x Abby (By: @monkeyman04)

If you want some nightmare fuel in your life, earlier this week, Giant Bomb user Monkeyman04 fused the faces of Alex and Abby to beloved Nintendo icons Tingle and Yoshi respectively.

Sorry, not sorry.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Best Of Blogs

If you want to read about an adorable game where you play as a frog, then Mento has you covered!
If you want to read about an adorable game where you play as a frog, then Mento has you covered!

Wiki Project: Awesome Games Wiki'd Quick 2020 +

Mento's Month: December +

Indie Game of the Week 152: The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game (By: @mento)

This week Mento has a trio of entertaining and helpful blogs for you to enjoy! Their first blog is your go-to source of information about the Awesome Games Done Quick event! Their blog has a list of all the games and their respective wiki pages! Also, use the link below to join their conversation about the event! Second, they compiled a list of all the games they played during December! Give it a read to see how they ended 2019 on a positive note. Finally, their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog is all about The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game! Give it a read and discover why they were thoroughly charmed by the game's amphibian protagonist!

StarvingGamer's GotY 2019 Biggest Disappointment Addendum: Disco Elysium (By: @starvinggamer)

StarvingGamer uses their latest blog to discuss why Disco Elysium is their "biggest disappoint" of 2019. Give it a read to discover what moment(s) rubbed them the wrong way.

My Top 10 Korean Songs of 2019 + My Top 10 Japanese Songs of 2019 (By: @wemibelle)

Ah yes, Giant Bomb, your go-to resource for music recommendations!
Ah yes, Giant Bomb, your go-to resource for music recommendations!

Wemibelle shares their love for K-Pop and J-Pop with their retrospectives of the best musical songs and acts from each genre during 2019! If you are looking for music recommendations, then these are the blogs for you!

Assassin's Creed 2 Is The T2: Judgment Day Of Video Games. Bigger, Better, And More Conventional +

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Feels Like An Unnecessary Direct To Video Sequel To ACII (By: BIGSOCRATES)

BigSocrates continues their retrospective on the Assassin's Creed franchise with a look at Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood! First, read why they think the ACII is the "T2: Judgment Day of video games." Second, discover why they thought Brotherhood felt like "an unnecessary Direct to Video sequel."

The Day A Childhood Hero Dies - RIP Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7 2020) (By: @xanadu)

While not entirely gaming related, xanadu's tribute to Neil Peart is a must-read for any fans of Rush mourning the drummer's passing.

Join The Discussion

Oh, hey, Kentucky Route Zero is
Oh, hey, Kentucky Route Zero is "finished."

PS5 - And Backwards Compatability to Play Old Games (By: @monkeyking1969)

With rumors about the PS5 growing by the minute, Giant Bomb user MonkeyKing1969 welcomes you to their discussion about the "necessity" of the PS5 having some form of backwards compatibility. Share how you feel using the link above!

A New Decade And A Big Year For The Game Industry Ahead (By: @monkeyking1969)

It seems risky to do, but if you have any BIG predictions about the course of video gaming during this decade, feel free to share them with the rest of the Giant Bomb community using the link!

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition Coming Out On The 28th Of January (By: @glots)

Are any of you excited for the "FULL" release of Kentucky Route Zero? If so, here's our link to the Giant Bomb Community discussion about Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition!

For me, the appeal of watching movies in a crowded theater is zero.
For me, the appeal of watching movies in a crowded theater is zero.

Most Disappointing Game of the Decade? (By: @sloppydetective)

Here's a community discussion thread that struck a chord with the community: what is the most disappointing game of the decade? Was it a big AAA title that didn't live up to the hype, or a well-reviewed indie title that didn't click with you? Share and discuss your pick with the rest of the community!

How Do You Choose Your Movie Theater? (By: @asmo917)

What are you looking for when you decide to go to a movie theater? Is it reclining seats? Matinee prices? State of the art audio? Or how about a full-service bar? Share what you look for in a modern movie going experience!

Lovable Lists

See? Not everyone hates her and her messed up hitbox!
See? Not everyone hates her and her messed up hitbox!

Teams And Team Formations For The King Of Fighters XV Wishlist (By: @jessemb27)

jessemb27 has their fingers crossed that King of Fighters XV comes out in 2020. In prep, they made this comprehensive list of the Teams and Team formations they most want to see in the game!

100+ Rad af Games that Might Come Out in 2020 +

85 Games of 2019 I Wish I Played (By: @devoureroftime)

First, DevourerOfTime thinks there are going to be plenty of great games in 2020! Don't believe them? Here's their list of 100+ games they think will be rad if they come out in 2020! Finally, there are a ton of 2019 releases Giant Bomb user DevourerOfTime wished they had gotten around to playing. Here's a list of the 85 Games of 2019 they wished they'd played!

Game of the Decade (2010-2019) (By: @majormitch)

Giant Bomb user MajorMitch tried their hand at making a "Game of the Decade" list and some of the games on this list might surprise you!

Useful User Reviews

It's always good when the site has a diversity of game reviews!
It's always good when the site has a diversity of game reviews!
  • @count_zero felt up for starting their 2020 by playing a Japanese Visual Novel! This week they played Utawarerumono: Mask Of Deception and shares their thoughts on what they liked and didn't like!
  • @bonbonetti picked up a copy of Motorsport Manager during a winter sale and uses their review to share how it's an odd game that is both absorbing and totally lacking balance.
  • @laszlokovacs picked up a copy of Murdered: Soul Suspect while it was on sale and discusses why it's an odd game that speaks to a bygone era of video game development.
  • @undeadpool loved the previous games in the franchise and decided to give Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order a try! Check out their review to see why they couldn't help but be a little disappointed.
  • @infantpipoc decided to give John Woo Presents Stranglehold a shot since it became available on GOG. Read their review to discover why they were not impressed.
  • @vookatos uses their review of Yoshi's Crafted World to discuss why they think the game overstays its welcome and becomes a chore.
  • @bhlaab played Risen 2 and 3 and uses their review of ELEX to discuss how it's a "step in the right direction" for developer Piranha Bytes.
conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Giant Bomb won’t be the same without Dan, but new blood is always exciting. I hope they don’t take too long to bring someone on board, thought, because GBE felt like it was struggling with manpower even before Dan left.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MocBucket62

Thanks for the shoutout! All of those GOTY lists were fun to read!

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Twiggy199

Hmmmm P85?. That's not how you do cool S's Where i'm from...

Joking aside, I miss Dan, he was a top tier GB presenter, his creativity will surely be missed. The last episode of the Gbeast cast where he hosted was one of my all time favourites. "Not a fan".

Those nintendo Characters, burn them, burn them with fire!

WiFiPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's still surreal to see the dumb creations/edits I've done show up in this. Thanks so much.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I went way past the deadline composing my top ten list but better late than never I guess.