The Community Spotlight 2020.01.18

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best creative offerings from the Giant Bomb community! With GOTY thoroughly behind us, we all can finally relax and enjoy the scenery. And by "scenery" I mean wonderful works of art and writing from users like you! I don't know about you, but it is finally starting to set-in that we are at the start of a new decade. The site, in general, has come a long way since its humble beginnings, but fingers crossed, I have a good feeling about the site's prospects in the 2020s. How could I not, what, with the busy community and wonderful staff that make each day a memory worth preserving! With that aside, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!

Tweets Of The Week

Giant Bomb Galleria

3D Printable Gerstmann (By: @Blinkenlights)

Using a design by buzz_clik, Aaron Franz created a 3D printable design of Jeff inspired by their "Garfield with Gerstmann" video series. Donations are appreciated, but not required. That said, support artists however you can!

No Caption Provided

Abby Drawing (By: @humanity)

Here's a wonderful sketch from Giant Bomb user Humanity featuring Abby!

No Caption Provided

Best Of Blogs

Always happy to promote a game heavy on STATS!
Always happy to promote a game heavy on STATS!

The People's Game of the Decade (By: @devoureroftime)

Giant Bomb user DevourerOfTime has taken up the monumental task of crowning a "People's Game of the Decade!" Check out their latest blog to discover how they went about handing out their special commendation!

Indie Game of the Week 153: Avadon 2: The Corruption +

The Games That Would Be King (2010s Edition - Part One) (By: @mento)

As always, moderator Mento showcases a smattering of blogs this week each with a different game or topic worth exploring. First, they finally got around to playing Avadon 2: The Corruption for their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog! Use the link to read if they think this Spiderweb Software title is worth your time! Second, they looked at the 2010s and attempted to determine which game deserves the title of "most influential."

Mento this week takes another stab at the wonderful works of Spiderweb Software, the indie developer before being indie was
Mento this week takes another stab at the wonderful works of Spiderweb Software, the indie developer before being indie was "cool."

Games of the Decade: 2010 (By: @gla55jaw)

Giant Bomb user gla55jAw is starting a new blog series where they go back and examine the previous decade in gaming! This week, they checked back on 2010 and how a few games from then cracked their all-time list!

Pro Wrestling, and Catching Up on a Childhood I Didn't Have (By: @dinosaurcanada)

DinosaurCanada is finally starting to get into professional wrestling thanks to Giant Bomb. Read all about their steps into the sport on their latest blog!

Join The Discussion

Sony Will Not Attend E3 2020. Thoughts? (By: @redcream)

Is E3 dead? Join our discussion!
Is E3 dead? Join our discussion!

What is YOUR reaction to the news of Sony not attending E3 2020, the same year they plan to launch a new console? Where do you assess the long-term viability of E3 as an event?

Your Favorite Dragon Ball (OG, Z, GT, Super) Game That's Not FighterZ? (By: @liquiddragon)

Inspired by recent Bombcast and UPF discussions, here's a link to the Giant Bomb community debate over the best Dragon Ball (OG, Z, GT, Super) game that's not FighterZ!

Does Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Look Better Than 1313? (By: @liquiddragon)

It's always a bummer when people get angry about other's finally getting the chance to play a game.
It's always a bummer when people get angry about other's finally getting the chance to play a game.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was on several people's 2019 GOTY lists, but as this discussion thread suggests, does it live up to the promise of Star Wars 1313? Does Fallen Order reach the meteoric heights of the original E3 demo for 1313?

Horizon Zero Dawn PC Port Speculation Thread (By: @rorie)

How many of you would be excited about a PC release of Horizon Zero Dawn? Can you think of any new bells and whistles you'd like to see? Would those of you who already bought the game once, be excited to play it on PC?

Are your memories of Kinect positive or negative?
Are your memories of Kinect positive or negative?

Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Until September 17th (By: @glots)

What is YOUR reaction to the Cyberpunk 2077 delay? Are you welcoming the news or starting to become concerned about the game's development? Join the Giant Bomb community discussion using the link above!

Interesting Article About The Rise And Fall Of Kinect (By: @rorie)

Have any of you read Polygon's article on the rise and fall of Kinect? Regardless, join the community discussion about the failed motion-detecting device and feel free to share any memories you may have had using it.

Slay the Spire On Switch Discussion Thread (By: @sloppydetective)

Also, which deck did you use in Slay the Spire? I rock Defect 99.99% of the time.
Also, which deck did you use in Slay the Spire? I rock Defect 99.99% of the time.

Slay the Spire is now three-years old, but only recently has the game come out for the Nintendo Switch. As a result, we have a handful of community members discussing the quality of this port and if the game plays well in handheld mode. If you have any thoughts, join our discussion using the link!

Any Advice On How To Finish Outer Wilds? (SPOILERS!) (By: @baewest)

On the forums, a handful of users have expressed issues with "finishing" Outer Wilds, especially the game's last act/sequence. If you have any advice, feel free to share it using the link below!

Lovable Lists

Games of the Year, 2013 +

Gone Home is a good game. You heard it here first!
Gone Home is a good game. You heard it here first!

Games of the Year, 2014 (By: @frontman12)

Giant Bomb user frontman12 decided now was as good enough reason as ever to look back at the 2010s and re-rank their GOTY lists with games they did not play at the time of their release included. Give each of their lists a read, and think about doing a similar feature on your own when you have the time!

GOTY 2018 (Adjusted) (By: @mento)

On a similar note, Mento re-visited their 2018 GOTY list and re-ranked the games on it with releases from that year they finally got around to playing!

Don't forget, MK wasn't the only fighting game released in 2019.
Don't forget, MK wasn't the only fighting game released in 2019.

2020 - Nervous And/Or Exciting (By: @danjohnhobbs)

danjohnhobbs took the time to annotate all the games they can't wait to play during 2020! Give their list a read using the link below and don't forget to consider making a list of your own!

2019 GOTY (By: @partyelectrify)

Giant Bomb user PartyElectrify thought 2019 was an especially strong year for fighting games. Read all about why they think that by checking out the games that made their list!

Ian isn't the only person who fell in love with Legend of Heroes.
Ian isn't the only person who fell in love with Legend of Heroes.

My Top Games of 2019 (as of Jan 2020) (By: @thewildcard)

It took Giant Bomb user TheWildCard longer than they would have liked, but they eventually got around to making a 2019 GOTY list!

Fakey's 2019 Games of the Year (By: @fakekisser)

FakeKisser finally got around to making a 2019 GOTY list, but with their list, they pitted games both new and old in a fight to the death!

Always happy to see Giant Bomb users make happy choices.
Always happy to see Giant Bomb users make happy choices.

2019 Top 10 (By: @ronald)

Giant Bomb user Ronald finally got around to making a 2019 GOTY list! Feel free to give it a read and show your support if possible!

Favorites Of The Decade 2009 - 2019 (By: @heart1lly)

Giant Bomb user Heart1lly decided to have a crack at listing their ten favorite games from 2009 to 2019! Use the link below to see which games managed to make their list!

Someone put OG Luigi's Mansion on their GOTY list and I challenge you to find out who!
Someone put OG Luigi's Mansion on their GOTY list and I challenge you to find out who!

My Favorite Games of 2019 Remastered Special Edition (By: @shinofkod)

shinofkod already is making updates to their 2019 GOTY list after playing a handful of games they missed during the year. Read which games got added and bumped out!

Useful User Reviews

9 years is a long time.
9 years is a long time.
  • @moonlightmoth uses their comprehensive review of Star Wars: The Old Republic to assess where the game stands today and if it has any appeal to post-Disney Star Wars fans.
  • @chlomo went on a total bender and started a new review series wherein they examine some of the "forgotten" gems of the PlayStation One's catalog of games. This week they reviewed: Hogs of War, Fluid, and V2000

Wonderful Wikis

First Game Shown on a Platform

Also, Death Jr. was the first shown PSP game?
Also, Death Jr. was the first shown PSP game?

Many thanks to @marino for creating this incredibly interesting wiki page! As you can see when you click the link, they have created a table for each qualifying game. As a result, you can only add a game if you can site an appropriate source. That said, there are plenty of consoles with no entries!

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Big fan of bikin' Abby, and that new wiki page is a smart addition!

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@y2ken said:

^_^ hell yeah! Me too.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@y2ken said:

^_^ hell yeah! Me too.

Funny thing about that picture is that I drew it when Abby joined GB as a show of welcoming newcomers with some fan art because I like doing that stuff - that being one of my only interactions with Abby on social media - and I recently checked and I am both muted and blocked by Abby on Twitter. So you know, go figure.

Avatar image for billy_ray_valentine
Billy_Ray_Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@humanity: LOL!!!!! Wwoooooooooooowwwwwww (Alex Navarro)

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Ronald

Oh no!

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

billyjack77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Biking Bad-Ass Abby is perfect

Sto_Ln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0_o

Jondamnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Oof. Well, I'll tell Dings and Jessica to never block you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity: sigh...I wish I could claim to doubt this story.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21