The Community Spotlight 2020.03.14

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to another edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back and enjoy the best user-created offerings from the previous week. Well, this was certainly a week. There have been mass cancellations of schools and many of us are now living under various states of emergency. I wont go any further in discussing COVID-19 as many of you have enough breaking news-based anxiety, but please keep safe. Wash your hands; don't touch your face; isolate yourself if you get sick; and don't forget to tell your friends and family that you love them. On a lighter note, given the circumstances, I think we can all agree the staff absolutely hit it out of the park with their at-home live streams. While I personally missed a majority of the morning streams, I found Jan and Jason's streams to be especially entertaining. Likewise, Jeff playing Super Mario Bros. Special might be the best new Giant Bomb video series of 2020 yet. With all that out of the way, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!

• Currently, all signs point to Giant Bomb needing to stream video content from home for another week. If there are any changes follow Giant Bomb on Twitter.
  • Design lead, Dan Auer, and director of engineering, Will Carle, celebrated their fifth-year anniversary of joining the CBSi family. Use the link to send your thanks for everything they've done the past five years.

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run

Can't stop, wont stop!
Can't stop, wont stop!

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run X Announcement Thread (By: @thatpinguino)

It;s that time of the year again! That's right, it's time for the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run! For those unaware, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is a long-running spring-time charity event hosted by Giant Bomb community members, myself included! Use the link above and donate what you can!

Here's a link to my personal donation page. If you enjoy the Community Spotlight or my activities with the GB Duders Feed on Twitter, help me reach my goal of $2,500 raised for Pencils of Promise, a charity that builds schools in developing nations like Ghana, Guatemala and Laos! Small amounts are appreciated!

Tweets Of The Week

Community Activities

There are plenty of ways to enjoy some Call of Duty action with your fellow Giant Bomb users this week!
There are plenty of ways to enjoy some Call of Duty action with your fellow Giant Bomb users this week!

Unofficial GB Warzone PC Discord (By: @buds312)

If you are interested in playing Call of Duty: Warzone with some fellow users, here's a link to the announcement thread of a user-run Discord server! Learn how you can join the fun using the link above!

Giant Bomb West Coast Regiment(By: @binarydragon)

Speaking of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, The community has a new "West Coast" regiment that is accepting new members! If you are interested, here's the link to sign up!

Giant Bomb EU PC Clan Now Has Spaces! (By: @casualblue)

To any European users interested in playing Tom Clancy's The Division 2, the EU PC Clan now has spaces! Just use the link below to let out a yelp that you're interested in joining!

Giant Bomb Galleria

Giant Bomb Inspired Hand Washing Guides (By: various)

Over on Twitter, a lot of Giant Bomb users have taken to https://washyourlyrics.com/to create hand-washing guides using Giant Bomb quotes or songs the Giant Bomb staff have expressed a liking to. Feel free to have a go at it using the link and feel free to share your creations here for inclusion next week!

Best Of Blogs

Hey, there's someone on the site talking about Final Fantasy that isn't me!
Hey, there's someone on the site talking about Final Fantasy that isn't me!

A Few Words About Final Fantasy XV (Royal Edition) (By: @humanity)

Humanity hasn't played a ton of JRPGs, but that didn't stop them from checking out Final Fantasy XV. Give their exhaustive blog on what they thought were the good and bad of the game!

Persona 3 FES: Memento Mori (By: @barthvader25)

barthvader25 decided to take the time to finally strike Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES from their gaming "backlog." Read their latest blog and discover what parts of the game they wish were still represented in the Persona series.

This [Record of Lodoss War] Is Out Now On Steam In Early Access. It's Very Promising! (By: @squirrelgod)

I'm not gonna lie, I've never been a fan of JoJo.
I'm not gonna lie, I've never been a fan of JoJo.

SquirrelGOD gave the Early Access release of Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- a try and shares why they were pleasantly surprised despite the game's obvious rough edges.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in: Systems Shock +

Indie Game of the Week 161: Downfall (By: @mento)

First, Mento wrote a sweeping blog about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 everyone should check out when you have the chance! Read what they though about the game's inordinate number of systems and mechanics. Second, they have a new "Indie Game of the Week" blog this week this one is all about the 2016 remake of Downfall by Harvester Games! Read why they think the game is an intense and perturbing sequel to The Cat Lady!

Battle Tendency Is What Made Me Love Jojo (By: @purpleshyguy)

PurpleShyGuy felt like blogging about anime and this week discusses why they think "Battle Tendency" is the BEST season of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure! Also, yes, anime blogs are FAIR GAME for the Community Spotlight!

What I’ve Been Playing: 03/13/2020 (By: @haz)

Haz needed to get their mind off of the coronavirus and uses their latest blog to talk about their impressions of games like Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yakuza 0, and Ori and the Will of the Wisps!

Join The Discussions

I could listen to this game's menu music in perpetuity and be okay with that.
I could listen to this game's menu music in perpetuity and be okay with that.

What Cross-Coast Cast Pairings Would You Like To See? (By: @ak1mbo)

It goes without saying that Giant Bomb has been doing an OUTSTANDING JOB given the circumstances. However, what are some cross-coast staff pairings you'd like to see next week? Do you have any specific game picks?

Corona (COVID-19) - Is It Affecting You? (By: @mellotronrules)

It's having an impact on the site, but is Corona (COVID-19) impacting your everyday life? Feel free to share your experiences with the Giant Bomb community, and, remember, talking to friends and family is a recommendation by the CDC and WHO during these trying times.

E3 2020 Officially Canceled (By: @itsahme)

Will this crossover work? Join our community discussion with your thoughts!
Will this crossover work? Join our community discussion with your thoughts!

What is YOUR reaction to the cancellation of E3 2020? Was this the only logical step for the convention? Would you support an entirely "digital" E3 2020 experience? Is this the end of the road for the event entirely?

What's Your Favorite Wrestling Game? (By: @dichemstys)

The wrestling forum board welcomes you to share and discuss your FAVORITE WRESTLING GAME! Is there a game that got you into wrestling in general? If you wanted to know, you can find my pick to the right!

Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Discussion Thread (By: @thepartisanspy)

Have any of you played Ori and the Will of the Wisps yet? Is the game a respectable follow-up of the original? In what ways does it improve upon the first Ori? Join the community discussion and share your thoughts RIGHT NOW!

Lay Off Tom Nook, Watch Out For Isabelle (By: @tom_omb)

CALLING ALL ANIMAL CROSSING FANS! The debate of the century is raging on the Giant Bomb forums: is Tom Nook or Isabelle the bigger threat? Share your two cents' worth with your fellow Animal Crossing fans.

Guns In Destiny Should Be Collectibles Discussion Thread (By: @xrayzwei)

How is the sequel to Ori treating you? Share your impressions with the rest of the community!
How is the sequel to Ori treating you? Share your impressions with the rest of the community!

There's a new discussion thread on the forums discussing if the guns in Destiny 2 are comparable to Magic: The Gathering. Share if you think your guns and modes should be collectibles or timed exclusives/events.

LEGO Trying A Physical Mario Maker (By: @curiosus)

What do YOU make of the Lego Super Mario announcement? Is this a match made in heaven or a crossover of dubious quality? Join the friendly community discussion using the link above.

Reggie Fils-Aime Joining GameStop Board of Directors (By: @yourbrain)

What do you make of Reggie Fils-Aime joining Gamestop's Board of Directors? Do you think the company has a chance to turn its fortunes around? Is it weird to think of Reggie coming out of retirement?

Many thanks to Giant Bomb user effache for this image! Fuck Tom Nook
Many thanks to Giant Bomb user effache for this image! Fuck Tom Nook

Call of Duty: Warzone Discussion Thread (By: @jjbsterling)

Call of Duty: Warzone has been officially released! What is YOUR gut-reaction to the reveal? Do you plan to check it out in the coming months? Is the F2P model a good fit for something like this?

For The Music Theory Folks: Fun Time Signatures in Game Soundtracks? (By: @meatsofevil)

Here's an incredibly fun discussion thread for any musically minded users! What are your favorite video game songs or tracks with "unusual" time signatures? Share and discuss your picks with the rest of the community!

Lovable Lists

Favorite Games (By: @zorochii)

Giant Bomb user zorochii also needed to take their mind off the news and as a result, took the time to list their favorite games in a highly entertaining list.

Useful User Reviews

Farewell E3 2020, I hardly knew ye.
Farewell E3 2020, I hardly knew ye.
  • @moonlightmoth is always down to play a classic CRPG and adventure game, and was thoroughly impressed at how Sunless Skies accomplished being both in the same game!
  • @blueholeprod continues to explore the PS3's exclusive catalog with a look at Resistance 3! Read their review to find out why they found it to be the best game in the series.
  • @solarco uses their review of The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan to discuss how the game reminds them of "movie night" but not always for the best.
  • @chlomo continues to look at horror games with a review of Slender: The Arrival! Use the link below to read why they think it mucks up everything that made Slender: The Eight Pages appealing.
  • @solarco also wrote a review of Control that explains why they think game's "intent" is more than admirable, but its "performance" is incredibly taxing.
  • @rgdraconic loved The Surge when it released in 2017. However, they use their review of The Surge 2 to discuss why they think its sequel was a horrible disappointment.
  • @capt_blakhelm uses their review of Bezier on to discuss why they think it's more than just another indie twin stick shooter and worth a look.

Wonderful Wikis

Yup, we officially live in a dsytopia.
Yup, we officially live in a dsytopia.

Promotional DLC

Yet again, we have Marino to thank for another NIGHTMARISH video game concept page on the Giant Bomb wiki. This concept, "Promotional DLC," seeks to list the number of times games have forced players to buy physical or digital products outside in order to gain access to the exclusive content.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Thanks to everyone doing awesome stuff!

Dr_Mel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

......DOWN

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey. Uhh... What’s happening with Mass Alex? Thanks.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marino  Staff

Hey. Uhh... What’s happening with Mass Alex? Thanks.

What about it?

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Thanks GB staff for all the hard work you do!

I really appreciate the home streams, but can't wait until you can get back into the office!

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A big thank you to whoever makes these threads, because they highlight some threads I wish I saw during the week

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: Do you know if it’s still happening in some form?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Marino  Staff
Deadstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see some more Dreams coverage, just checking out different levels.

Avatar image for ijkkjcccdkrszyr
ijkkjcccdkrszyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: Probably wondering because everyone staying home.

alexadroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By alexadroog
DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DrM2theJ

ROFL, this Promotional DLC page gets me every time. I have *more* stuff to add to it, actually.

@marino Did you want us to add details around the promotional DLC campaign to the bullet list when we update the list and add images? Because I have some details...

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Marino  Staff