The Community Spotlight 2020.03.28

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to yet another edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and as always I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host this week as we look back at the best user-created offerings! I know it must seem tiring whenever I say, "Gosh, that sure was a week," but this time I really mean it. I know for some of you it was a rougher go about it than others, but again, from the bottom of my heart, do your best and know this community is here for you if you need it. Likewise, it was another SOLID week of video content from the staff barring a handful of technical issues here and there. We bonded over a rat with Jeff and chilled out with Abby in Animal Crossing. And for those of you who like hard numbers, the staff have been outputting and average of six to eight hours worth of video content per weekday since the shelter in place orders hit much of the United States. So, join me in thanking them for their hard work and bringing smiles to all of our faces! With that in mind, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!

• The Giant Bomb staff will continue to work at home as the California and New York "shelter in place" orders are still in effect. However, be aware the staff will move forward with premium/subscriber content. This week saw the return of Mass Alex, and the staff are exploring other subscriber only series to restart in the coming weeks.
  • Rorie is still processing tickets and bug reports, but be aware that due to the pandemic the processing time of tickets will be longer than normal.

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run

Can't stop, won't stop!
Can't stop, won't stop!

Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run X Announcement Thread (By: @thatpinguino)

It;s that time of the year again! That's right, it's time for the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run! For those unaware, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is a long-running spring-time charity event hosted by Giant Bomb community members, myself included! Use the link above and donate what you can!

Here's a link to my personal donation page. I'm going to continue linking my own page as every week someone has donated at least $5. If you enjoy the Community Spotlight or my activities with the GB Duders Feed on Twitter, help me reach my goal of $2,500 raised for Pencils of Promise, a charity that builds schools and invests in clean water sources in developing nations like Ghana, Guatemala and Laos! Small amounts are appreciated! Seriously, I'm happy to take $1 to $5 donations!

Tweets Of The Week

Clips Of The Week

Every Time They Fail in GB Crime Crew (By: @jeremym)

You can always count on JeremyM for a good Giant Bomb compilation video to bring a smile to your face, and this week is no different. With this video they went ahead and compiled every time the Crime Crew "failed" at a mission.

Giant Bomb Galleria

Rorie x Daria +

Jeff & Brad x Beavis & Butthead(By: @jearum)

For whatever reason, Giant Bomb artist jearum decided to mix the works of Mike Judge with various members of the Giant Bomb staff! So, without further ado, here are two of their most recent creations for you to enjoy!

Community Activities

Because what I need in my calm city builder is a volatile stock market simulation.
Because what I need in my calm city builder is a volatile stock market simulation.

The Giant Bomb Stalk Market Community Spreadsheet (By: @meatsofevil)

Are you having a hard time getting reasonable turnip prices in your town? Well, here's a community spreadsheet for you to consult that has up to date turnip prices across several Giant Bomb user's towns!

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Fruit Trading Thread (By: @damaged6)

Calling all Animal Crossing: New Horizons players! Who wants to trade fruit?! Here's a link to the official community fruit trading thread! Let out a yelp if you need help completing your set!

Giant Bomb Community Bleeding Edge Group Up Thread (By: @ethanielrain)

Are there any of you playing Bleeding Edge and want to play the game online with Giant Bomb users? If so, here's a link to the community online hookup/meet-up thread! Drop a comment if you are interested in playing the game with other GB Duders!

Club VinCo For Disney Sorcerer’s Arena (By: @egopoisoning)

Are there any users playing Disney Sorcerer’s Arena? Here's a link to the community online club! If you want to hook up with some other Giant Bomb users in the game, use the link below!

Blogs

Obviously, Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing were the major talking points this week, but don't use that as an excuse not to give any of these user blogs a read!
Obviously, Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing were the major talking points this week, but don't use that as an excuse not to give any of these user blogs a read!

Going From Doom 2016 To Doom Eternal (By: @purpleshyguy)

PurpleShyGuy's latest blog on Giant Bomb compares and contrasts Doom (2016) to Doom Eternal and attempts to crown a king between the two modern Doom reboot games.

Indie Game of the Week 163: The Hex +

Timesink, Inc. (By: @mento)

First, Mento 's latest "Indie Game of the Week" is all about The Hex! Read their blog on Giant Bomb to discover why they recommend it to fans of Pony Island! Finally, Mento is working to categorize the ways and many approaches games go about creating time sink gameplay experiences! Read over the many categories they have thus far, like "Builders," and share any examples you think they missed!

March Memories: Murder, Museums, and Mancubus (By: @jeremyf)

jeremyf played Murder By Numbers, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Doom Eternal while sheltering in place. Read what they thought of each, and their recommendations, by using the link above!

Not sure about you, but I have had a TON of people try to give me unwanted advice about how to better manage my town. Animal Crossing
Not sure about you, but I have had a TON of people try to give me unwanted advice about how to better manage my town. Animal Crossing "Alpha Gamers" are the worst.

The Last Guardian, And Lost Friends (By: @mooseymcman)

MooseyMcMan got around to playing The Last Guardian and discusses how the game manages to conjure same the feelings of caring for and eventually losing a pet.

What I’ve Been Playing: 03/23/2020 (By: @haz)

haz tried to get their mind off of the pandemic by talking about the games they have played while under self-isolation. Learn all about their experiences with Yakuza 0, Animal Crossing, and Gears of War 3!

Hitman 2 Completionism Continued (And What It's Like Playing Patient Zero Under Quarantine) (By: @notnert427)

notnert427 has been using their time under quarantine to continue their quest to 100%-ing Hitman 2! Read their latest blog on the site to discover why the missions at Colorado drove them bonkers!

Discussions & Threads

Image provided by @_cckirby on Twitter!
Image provided by @_cckirby on Twitter!

The Animal Crossing New Horizons Photo Thread (By: @gerbilsinspace)

To everyone marathoning Animal Crossing! Here's a link to the Giant Bomb Community photo sharing thread for Animal Crossing: New Horizons! If you have any impeccable screenshots, feel free to post them over there!

Why Would People Cheat In Animal Crossing: New Horizons (By: @sombre)

Some have noticed an influx of Animal Crossing: New Horizons players "cheating" to get stores, museums, and items far earlier than they should. Have you used exploits and cheats to get stuff? What are your feelings?

Gripes Sharing Thread For Animal Crossing: New Horizons (By: @skyline7284)

Calling all Animal Crossing: New Horizons players! Is there anything about the new Animal Crossing that is driving bonkers? Some users hate how you can't craft multiples of the same item. Share you nitpicks about the game with the rest of the community!

Image provided by GerbilsInSpace on Giant Bomb!
Image provided by GerbilsInSpace on Giant Bomb!

Good Introductory Music Creation Tools? (By: @clagnaught)

A handful of users have expressed interest in learning how to make electronic music! If you have any introductory music creation tool recommendations, use the link to suggest them!

So A New Half-life Just Came Out - Reviews & Discussion (By: @glots)

Have any of you tried out Half-Life: Alyx? Here's a link to our community discussion about the game, and feel free to share your thoughts about it as well as your tips for setting the game up! Also, did any of you complete your "rat runs?"

Lockdown Content Appreciation Thread! (By: @acura_max)

Here's a community discussion about your favorite Lockdown 2020 livestream thus far! What's the new series or one-off that has given you the most joy so far! What are games you'd like to see get covered in the coming weeks?

CHERRIES ARE BEST STARTING FRUIT! DON'T @ ME!
CHERRIES ARE BEST STARTING FRUIT! DON'T @ ME!

What Device Or Object In You Home Has Broken During Your Enforced Social Distancing? (By: @monkeyking1969)

Have any of you had pieces of electronic or devices break while under quarantine? How did you MacGyver a solution? Share your stories, fixes, and general advice for repairing tech to the community!

So The Start Of Doom Eternal... (Minor Spoilers) (By: @spyder335)

Calling all Doom Eternal players! A lot of users feel like the game's start is missing a mission or two that tie it and Doom (2016) together. Do you feel the game does a poor job of telling you what the hell you're doing!

Control DLC - The Foundation Impressions (By: @sethmode)

Calling all fans of Control! What are your impressions of The Foundation? Is it a nice follow-up to the main game? Does it make you excited for future story expansions and DLC?

Where do you think Control will go next?
Where do you think Control will go next?

Computer Chair Recommendations (By: @macog)

Here's an interesting discussion thread for PC centric users: what are some good computer chairs that are not incredibly gaudy "gaming chairs?" Can you think of any choices for people on a budget? Share your picks over here!

What Keyboard Are You Using For PC Gaming? (By: @isomeri)

Speaking of PC gaming hardware, what keyboard are you using? Are "gaming keyboards" worth the investment or a luxury item you can live without? Share your two cents' worth and suggestions!

#ZAKU4LYFE
#ZAKU4LYFE

What Is Your Favorite Mobile Suit From Gundam? (By: @decoyoctopusx)

Here's a forum thread that would make Vinny proud: What is your favorite Mobile Suit design from Gundam? Is there a particular era that stands out to you the most? Share and discuss your pick(s) using the link below!

Lists

Facts or Harsh? Use the link to share if you agree with Capt_Blakhelm's assessment of Doom 3!
Facts or Harsh? Use the link to share if you agree with Capt_Blakhelm's assessment of Doom 3!

DOOM Tier List aka Ranking Of DOOM (By: @capt_blakhelm)

With the release of Doom Eternal, Capt_Blakhelm had a go at ranking every Doom game they have played from best to worst! Give it a read and see if you agree or disagree with their rankings!

User Reviews

How about those platforming sequences?
How about those platforming sequences?
  • @sethparmer's Doom Eternal review praises its pace and visceral combat while criticizing its platforming sequences and story.
  • @nateandrews wrote a review for Doom Eternal on and explains why they consider it "one of this generation's most stunning spectacles!
  • @infantpipoc burned through Doom Eternal over a weekend and discusses why they think the 2016 reboot is a better and more welcoming game than Eternal.
  • @infantpipoc used some of their spare time to play and complete Quantum Break. Use the link to read why they found the game to be critically flawed through and through!
  • @natesolo22 played a lot of the Voidheart Edition of Hollow Knight on PS4 and discusses why it is the definitive Hallow Knight experience for fans and newcomers!
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

That picture doesn't have Ryan in it. *shakes head*

rgdraconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

@cornbredx: ryan haunts me in my dreams well enough

HeelMAGGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHERE IS RYAN?!?! WTF? 0/10

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

i had the same exact thought. RIP Ryan

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Are you sharing? Are you enjoying?

I certainly hope so.

Brinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

HeelMAGGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HeelMAGGLE

Ahh! I see, touche to you madam! I revise my earlier superfluous and pedantic review for another superfluous and pedantic rating of 10/10.

*approving nod*