Hello and welcome to an incredibly "charitable" edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week as we look back on the best creative endeavors from the community! First off, apologies if this edition of the Spotlight is a bit short than what you are accustomed to nowadays. As many of you may be aware of, I am participating in the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run, and that made making this edition of the Spotlight a bit of a rush. So, apologies for that, and you can expect me to be on my "A-Game" next week! Regardless, let's jump into the site housekeeping!
- Abby, Vinny, Bakalar, and some guy named Dan managed to raise $13K for Direct Relief! If that's a charity you are still interested in supporting, use the link and donate what you can!
- Earlier in the week, many of you may recall Alex hosting a livestream for Old World. As Alex explained during Episode 256 of the Beastcast, the NDA for the game wasn't particularly clear about stream, and the video had to be pulled down. It will return at another date.
- Several users have reported experiencing issues with the Staff Twitter box on the front page of the site. However, the bug reports so far have not been detailed enough for Rorie or one of the engineers to duplicate the issue. If this problem has been giving you issue, please file a full report with the name of your browser, the version number of the browser, your OS, and any extension you may be running.
Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run
Depending on when you read this, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is either in progress or over! For those unaware, the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run is a long-running spring-time charity event hosted by Giant Bomb community members, myself included! However, the event has changed its charity so the event raises money for COVID-19 relief! Use the announcement thread to get all of the details and learn how you can help even after the event is over!
danielkempster is throwing their hat in the Community Endurance Run! Read how they plan to marathon Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater in the name of COVID-19 relief!
Moderator ZombiePie uses their latest blog on to talk about how they plan to stream OpenRCT2, Final Fantasy X-2, AND Paca Plus (I'm looking at you Drew Scanlon) in the name of COVID-19 from the 17th-19th! Use the link for more info!
Hey, you! Yes, you right there! Do you like old-school CRPGs or Eurojank games? In honor of Dave Snider, ArbitraryWater is playing Troika’s The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure for the Community Endurance Run!
Moderator RioStarwind is planning on hosting a tribute stream to the PlayStation Portable for their contribution to the Giant Bomb Community Endurance Run! If you have any nostalgia for the platform read about how you can support their efforts!
electricviking has a very "ambitious" plan for this year's Community Endurance Run: for every $100 they raise, they will COMPLETE The Bouncer! You heard that right... they plan to start and finish The Bouncer, up to five times, in the name of charity!Learn how you can make the magic happen, using the link above!
Tweets Of The Week
Thank you all for donating and joining! We raised almost $13k for @DirectRelief WOW!!! And stick around the rest of the weekend as folks from the GB community will be streaming and continuing to raise money for a good cause! https://t.co/o7QZLdrqQr— abby russell (@ybbaaabby) April 18, 2020
I call this "Surprise". It’s based on a shirt from yesterday’s @GiantBomb charity Jackbox stream! @ybbaabby@PackBenPack@alex_navarro@Janina@RonFunches#AnimalCrossing#ACNH#TeeKO#NintendoSwitchpic.twitter.com/4zOpURpjus— Brian Doyle (@TheMasterDS) April 11, 2020
Humanity's getting wasted, so let's get wasted!— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) April 15, 2020
- Alex Navarro, 2020
Is Jeff okay? pic.twitter.com/LQn5OD72S2— Cole (socially distanced) Henry (@colehenry19) April 17, 2020
Escape to a deserted island and create your own #Heathcliff adventure! Befriend the #GarbageApe and other beloved villagers - friendly faces will lend their services and happily help you grow your budding community! #AnimalCrossing#GiantBomb#HeathcliffCrossingpic.twitter.com/3jSJhJsxx3— Digital Logjam (@DigitalLogjam) April 14, 2020
Clips Of The Week
In the place of a "normal" video clip, we have this highly entertaining reaction .gif featuring Xavier Woods during one of Giant Bomb's E3 aftershows. If this doesn't start its own meme, then I do not know what will.
Giant Bomb Galleria
You can always count on jearum to make some fun works of art that combine the staff with popular gaming icons. This week they went ahead and combined a dapper Brad Shoemaker with Mario and made a "mature" version of Tom Nook based on Jeff and Ben's comments about him on the Bombcast.
Over on Twitter, user psydyl was the only user to take up the Giant Bomb staff coloring book challenge from Dan Auer! Let's turn that around and get more users attempting to color within the lines!
Inspired by Alex's coverage of Civilization VI, moderator ZombiePie talks about their love for roleplaying in Civilization VI and the house rules they have developed to make the game more "spicy!"
In a return to form, moderator Mento is back with TWO blogs this week. First, Mento is up to their usual tricks with a look at the games that released on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive! This week they look at the battleground months of January and February back in 1992! Likewise, Mento has a new episode of their "Indie Game of the Week" series and this episode looks at Moonlighter! Give their blog a read to see if they were impressed by the capitalistic dungeon crawler.
If you don't mind anime talk, Giant Bomb user PurpleShyGuy blogs about how they have fallen in love with "Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken" almost as much as their favorite video games thus far!
Giant Bomb user ClayPax briefly comments on why Astroneer has become one of their most played games during the quarantine and a much needed break from their real-world stress.
Discussions & Threads
Crysis Remastered is coming soon and it will have ray tracing! Also, what are the chances that Crysis runs reasonably on the Switch, and what graphical fidelity do you expect that port to have?
Have any of you picked up the two free games Sony is offering for PlayStation 4 owners? Is anyone bummed that Knack II is exclusive to Germany only? Share your impressions of the neat offer with the rest of the community.
A lot of users are just now getting around to play La-Mulana 1 & 2, the special edition La-Mulana compilation! If that includes you, which version did you pick up and how has your experience with the game been like so far?
Some users on the forums have expressed issues with some of the "low-res" textures in Final Fantasy VII Remake. Have you noticed this issue while playing the game?
To all of the professional wrestling fans out there, what do you make of the possible cancellation of WWE 2K21? Is a "break" exactly what the WWE 2K franchise needs right about now? What is your dream pick for a "different kind" of WWE game?
What's your reaction to XCOM: Chimera Squad? Do you find a smaller-scope XCOM game enticing, or is making an endless army of automatons part of the series' appeal? How about the game's aesthetic? Join the community discussion using the link above!
Here's an interesting discussion thread on the forums!: how did YOU get into the Souls/Souls-likes genre? Which game served as your introduction? What do you think is the best or most pure representation of the genre?
To all the Giant Bomb users who picked up Persona 5 Royal, what are your impressions of the game? Is this the "definitive" version of Persona 5? What tips and tricks do you have for newcomers?
- @kalimando uses their review of Final Fantasy VII Remake to detail how the game "breaks the limits of nostalgia" throughout its epic journey with Cloud and company.
- @sethparmer uses their review of Persona 5 Royal on to discuss why it isn't just a fancy port of Persona 5; it's the definitive version of Persona 5 from here on out!
- @hansschultz uses their review of Doom Eternal to explain why they think Doom (2016) is one of their favorite games of all-time, as well as, why Eternal does not quite match its predecessor.
- @yyninja finally got around to playing Hollow Knight and uses their review of the game to explain why they think it is "the best Metroidvania inspired indie game of this generation!"
- @rgdraconic's Beautiful Desolation review shares why it's one of the most beautiful adventure games they have ever played, and worth a looking for an old-school Fallout-like experience.
- @capt_blakhelm played Fight'N Rage and shares why its punishing difficulty spoils an otherwise robust beat-em-up experience!
- @capt_blakhelm decided to give Empty Clip Studios' 2012 music-action game, Symphony, a shot and uses their review to discuss why it is a "pleasant and exciting way to experience your music collection."