Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and as always I, @zombiepie, am honored to be you host as we look back at the best user-created works from the community. Every Spotlight has a "theme" and this time around it is quite obvious the community has been writing up a storm. We have the most amount of blogs I have seen in months and there are even lists and user reviews which rival some of the blogs I have to share in terms of length. Likewise, the community as a whole is still buzzing about the Xbox Series X event as well as Assassin's Creed Valhalla and the merits of its theme. Regardless, we have a moderate amount of site-related housekeeping, so, let's jump right into it!
- Giant Bomb is hosting a premium membership sale! The sale will go until the end of May, and any new subscribers will help keep the flow of awesome content from the Giant Bomb staff during Lockdown 2020!
- Abby's FINAL FRIDAY CHARITY STREAM raised over $10K for Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières! As mentioned earlier, this was the last Friday Charity Stream but you can still donate using the link.
- Jan guested on another podcast, this time he appeared on the The New Entertainment System Podcast where a randomizer "pitches" a random video game. It makes sense in context, trust me.
- A lot of user reported experiencing issues with the Roku App, and Rorie announced the GameSpot app broke too so the engineering team are assuming something happened on Roku's end. Feel free to continue reporting issues over here.
Tweets Of The Week
Giant Bomb Galleria
This week resident Giant Bomb artist, jearum, whipped up an adorable portrait of the Giant Bomb icon. Later, they even made an animated version of the same picture which you saw in the "Tweets of the Week" section. As always, don't forget to support and follow artists however you can!
Giant Bomb East has had a handful of technical difficulties in the past few weeks, and in response, Twitter user wolfpupy went ahead and made this fun photoshop in honor of Vinny.
Inspired by the recent batch of coverage from the staff, the Giant Bomb Community Sea of Thieves Xbox Club & Discord Server want you to know they are still happily accepting NEW MEMBERS! Just drop a comment asking for a new invite to the Discord.
With all this talk about Final Fantasy VII Remake, moderator ZombiePie went back to Final Fantasy V and discusses why they think Square-Enix should bring back the goddamn job system to Final Fantasy!
danielkempster likes OG Final Fantasy VII and uses their latest blog to talk about why the re-envisioning of the Wall Market sequence shares the remake's highest of highs and lowest of lows of the game.
If you haven't heard about Doraemon: A Story of Seasons, then you should check out stantongrouse's blog about the game and read why it has become a part of their quarantine routine!
jeremyf has played a decent amount of XCOM: Chimera Squad and uses their latest blog to detail why a bite-sized XCOM is exactly what they want out of the series right now.
ArbitraryWater continue their "Wheel of Dubious RPGs" blog series on Giant Bomb with a look at Lands of Lore III and Sacred! Give their blogs a read to see if Father Time has been kind to either game.
Sombre talks about their struggles with nostalgia as they play more "classic games" during the quarantine. What advice do you have? Join the conversation using the link above!
First, Mento tried to play the cult-classic CRPG, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. Read why they could not get past the game's inscrutable design and lack of technical polish. Second, have you ever heard of the indie game "Burly Men At Sea?" If not, check out their latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog! Finally, Mento wraps up their week with a look at Gothic II! Give their blog a read to learn about their initial impressions of the cult-classic!
Discussions & Threads
It seems to be the big talking point of the week, but what are YOUR IMPRESSIONS of the Inside Xbox Event? Most Giant Bomb users seem disappointed or misled by what was initially promised before the event started.
It's the Xbox Series X reveal that everyone is talking about: how do you feel about the Series X's boot screen music? Does it compare favorably to classic jams like the PS1 or GameCube boot screen tunes?
Are you excited to play a viking themed Assassin's Creed game? Share your excitement or concern about Assassin's Creed Valhalla with the Giant Bomb community by using the link above!
Here's an interesting poll and discussion thread: on a normal day or week how much of Giant Bomb's video content do you consume? How has that changed during the pandemic?
Where do you stand regarding the soundtrack controversy surrounding Doom Eternal? Does Mick Gordon's departure from id make you less enthusiastic about what's next for Doom or id/Bethesda in general?
MajorMitch took a long look at every GOTY list they have made and "rank" the years based on how strong the game releases were from best to worst! See how the years stack up.
Inspired by Jan and Ben's recent anime podcast with their friends at GameSpot, supermutant42 played around with a topic Jan mentioned in passing: the best Power Rangers.
- @squirt_vonnegut isn't the type of person who plays beat-'em-up games, but they use their review of Streets of Rage 4 to discuss why that did not stop them from falling in love with the game!
- @riostarwind only recently got into visual novels, and as a result, gave AI: The Somnium Files a try. Read why they were charmed by its mix of silliness and drama.
- @yyninja shares in their review of Ori and the Will of the Wisps how a few "blemishes" in its story and combat prevented them from fully falling in love with the game.
Alright, I'm including this wiki page for a very specific reason: we need to talk about character pages for wrestlers. Wiki moderators @marino and I would like for you to read the new rules about character pages for wrestlers from this point forward! For example, Papa Shango and The Godfather should have separate pages even if they are the same person.