The Community Spotlight 2021.09.04

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best community-created works from the last week. First, let's talk about quick "programming note!" Jeff Grubb's GrubbSnax is changing its start time to 8:30a PT/11:30a ET! This week's edition was the first to air at this time, so, please keep that in mind in the future.

Dan Auer, the previous design manager for Giant Bomb and GameSpot, has announced they are leaving and have cited mental health and betterment as their reasons. Please respect their privacy on the reason, but also thank them for the many logos and works of art they have provided over the years!

In better news, Jan announced they were promoted to the position of "Senior Producer" at Giant Bomb! Congratulate them in this new step forward with their career if you have not done so already! Speaking of Jan, their mother recently retired.

VoidBurger was the editor behind "The Very Online Show 05: Breaking Brendan Fraser" and while I feel like I say this every time, but this is her best work yet. If you have any civil and polite suggestions, please use the link above to send them her way.

Finally, here's your roundup of premium content from the past week in case you were worried about missing something. Also, some users are reporting that they are having a hard time finding premium audio/video on the site. Jan's advice is to select the "Premium Audio" in the drop down and the RSS button should generate a link to pop into your podcast service of choice! Here's a picture of what it should look like as you review the shows this week.

No Caption Provided

Galleria

Adult Swim Turned 20 (By:@jearum)

Did you know that Adult Swim is celebrating its 20th anniversary? Well, jearum decided to mix one of their favorite Adult Swim shows from yesteryear with Jeff Bakalar.

Also, the real OGs remember when Adult Swim's programming block was "The Midnight Run." If you remember that era of Cartoon Network, let me know in the comments and hold your VHS recordings of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop in pride. Oh god... please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers this.

No Caption Provided

Tweets

Activities

Aliens: Fireteam Elite PS4 & PS5 Online Hookup Thread (By: @lenny)

Anyone having fun with this?
Anyone having fun with this?

Are there any users playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite on PS4 or PS5? If you want to hook up with others users online, here's the link for you! Also, if you are interested in different platforms, please consider making a different thread!

Blogs

Gamer Madness or Go Ask Emilio – Gaming, Moral Hysteria, and The Bishop of Battle (By: @lostsol)

LostSol's blog is a definite read for anyone who wants to see a compelling mix of video games and history.
LostSol's blog is a definite read for anyone who wants to see a compelling mix of video games and history.

If you want to go down a real gaming "rabbit hole" check out LostSol's blog about James Dallas Egbert III and how their disappearance had a major impact on gaming and gaming culture.

Psychonauts 2: Double Fine's Zenith (By: @jeremyf)

jeremyf wrapped up their time with Psychonauts 2 and shared on their latest blog on the site why they consider it a "triumph" despite a few missteps here and there.

What's the Greatest Video Game: Jade Empire +

What's the Greatest Video Game: Loco Roco (By: @imunbeatable80)

imunbeatable80 took the time to give BioWare's Jade Empire a shot. Read why they do not think the game holds up as gracefully as other games in BioWare's wheelhouse. Likewise, they also played LocoRoco and had an easier time assessing how well it has aged over the years.

The Dredge of Seventeen: August +

Indie Game of the Week 235: Opus: Rocket of Whispers (By: @mento)

It is good to have you back Raz.
It is good to have you back Raz.

Moderator Mento played The Mummy Demastered and a little bit of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd last month. What more can anyone ask for? Well, a lot more indie games apparently! Read all about their August using the first link! Likewise, Mento has a new episode of their Indie Game of the Week series on Giant bomb and this one is about OPUS: Rocket of Whispers! Use the link below to learn why it had enough of a story hook to maintain their interest!

Yes, You Should Watch Odd Taxi (By: @purpleshyguy)

PurpleShyGuy wants more members of the Giant Bomb community to give Odd Taxi a watch. If you don't mind anime talk on your video game website, read why using the link and before you complain, I have promoted blogs about anime since this feature started.

Discussion Threads

How Is 2022 Going To Be For Video Games In General? (By: @gtxforza)

woof
woof

We have a lot of talk on the forums about how PACKED 2022 will be with quality video game releases! What are your thoughts? Do you think next year will be a great year for games? What are your most anticipated titles?

Which Dragon Warrior Game Is A Must Play? (By: @chummy8)

Which Dragon Quest games do you think are the most essential? Which games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras still hold up in your book? Share your recommendations with the community using the link above!

Which Do You Choose At A BBQ - Hotdog Or Burger? (By: @monkeyking1969)

I would not wish DQ's time commitment to even my worst enemy.
I would not wish DQ's time commitment to even my worst enemy.

When you go to a BBQ and want a non-smoked or sauced protein, do you go for a hotdog or hamburger/cheeseburger? Join the Giant Bomb community discussion and vote for your choice!

Is FIFA 22 Worth Buying? (By: @vgkd9517)

Are there any soccer/association football fans in the Giant Bomb community with strong feelings about FIFA 22? The next entry in the tentpole franchise is being met with general malaise by even the most ardent fans of the community.

Metroid Dread Caught Plagiarizing (By: @dragonmoony)

As I say in the thread, I prefer a burger as long as it is not overcooked. Hotdogs are way harder to fuck up than hamburger patties.
As I say in the thread, I prefer a burger as long as it is not overcooked. Hotdogs are way harder to fuck up than hamburger patties.

A recent video dropped on YouTube accusing Metroid Dread of "plagiarism." Check out the video and feel free to share if you buy their claims that Nintendo borrowed heavily from other sources when making Dread.

Which Game Soundtracks Do You Love To Listen To While Relaxing During The COVID-19 Lockdowns? (By: @gtxforza)

Have you been listening to any video game soundtracks during the pandemic or while locking down? Which recent or old OSTs have helped you the most in processing what's going around in the world?

First Game You Remember Playing? (By: @liamo)

Some real solid editing work from VoidBurger this week!
Some real solid editing work from VoidBurger this week!

Here's a fun thread and thought experiment on the Giant Bomb forums: what is the first game you genuinely remember playing? How old were you and what was the game?

Just Bought A PC - What Next? (By: @constantk)

We have a really AMAZING thread on the forums where users are helping someone out after they made/bought their gaming PC. Do you have any tips and freeware recommendations for someone booting up their gaming PC for the first time?

Lists

GOTY 2019 Redux (By: @majormitch)

Have you considered going back and editing older GOTY lists to include games you have recently played? If you do, send me a yelp and I'll promote your updated list!
Have you considered going back and editing older GOTY lists to include games you have recently played? If you do, send me a yelp and I'll promote your updated list!

MajorMitch has played a TON of games from 2019 as a result of the pandemic as well as part of their effort to get to their gaming backlog. As such, they decided to "revise" their 2019 GOTY list!

Clean Box Art (By: @daniel_newton)

Editing Giant Bomb's wiki is a thankless job, and editing images to have "clean" box art especially so (just ask Marino). Daniel_Newton has started a tally of every game page they have edited to have better box art on its wiki.

User Reviews

Read why Pinstripe isn't a trip through Hell worth having.
Read why Pinstripe isn't a trip through Hell worth having.
  • @yyninja's Pinstripe review discusses why they found it to be an "incomplete" indie action/adventure experience despite its compelling grim aesthetic.
  • @misterreese's review of Call of Cthulhu - The Video Game quickly details why they couldn't help but find it to be a shallow but nice introductory trek into the world of cosmic horror.

That's Hardcore

No Caption Provided

13 years after building Giant Bomb, Dave Snider finally has a Person page on the wiki. That's right. Hardcore Dave himself has a home in the annals of video game history. It turns out that Supergiant Games gave him a Special Thanks in both Pyre and Hades. Even Dave didn't know they did that!

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yo @zombiepie you're not the only one "The Midnight Run" was badass. The little animations they played between shows were pretty cool from what I remember.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gtxforza

Pretty good article!

For soundtracks, I prefer to listen to '80s, '90s and retro wave game soundtracks, so I can feel nostalgia to make me chill and avoid boredom but I do feel bad for those who got infected especially Rick May (Voice actor of Soldier from Team Fortress 2 who passed away).

I hope 2022 will be a good year for gamers.

My most anticipated 2022 games are BTCC The Game, GT7, Forza Motorsport Reboot, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga and many others that I will look forward to seeing.

YapaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats to Jan and his mom! He's been doing incredible work on the site!

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mbdoeden

I was a small child and I remember being hyper excited that The Midnight Run has less edited anime.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Jeff Bakalar confirmed for "Hangin' With Dr. Z Season 2"??

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By knoxt

Space Ghost Coast To Coast is and forever will be my favorite show of all time, and this is my favorite website of all time, it was only a matter of time...

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

This might not pick up on a radar for community spotlight, because it's not in the forums, but I made a silly list