The Community Spotlight 2022.07.30

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host as we look back at the best community-created works from the previous week. Obviously, the big news this week pertains to the seven new shirts, one of which is exclusive to premium subscribers, that just dropped in the Giant Bomb Store! If you have yet to check them, give them a gander and be amazed by the wide variety of styles this time.

However, with a major release of merchandise like this, a few issues have cropped up.

1. The site is working with its partners to deal with the cost of international shipping and Rorie will keep you updated with positive news hopefully soon.
  2. The sizes of the new shirts are currently capped out at 3XL. Rorie will check to see if 4x and 5x can become available in the future, but this issue is likely connected with one of the site's suppliers.
  3. If you encounter any issues with premium coupons or shipping, Rorie has set up a special sub-thread on the Giant Bomb Discord where you can report Giant Bomb store-related issues or bugs. As always, if you have issues with a product or order you can also send an email to support@giantbomb.com.
Even if you are not
Even if you are not

Tweets

Galleria

The Ultimate Giant Bomb Staffer (By: Reddit)

Someone on the Giant Bomb subreddit decided to take every staff member to have ever graced the site and merge them into a single photo.

I saw this and now shall you.

No Caption Provided

Tamoor Painting Meme (By: @MarmaladeBus, @to5calp3rs, @grandtourstan, @PleaseBexcited, @CreakyLegs, @JupiterJazz92, @vrunt, and @moolapie)

What can one say about Tamoor other than the man is a meme magnet. After getting his cat reported on CNN thanks to it reaction to Stray, he also posted an image of him stone-faced while posting next to a portrait and the internet had a field day. If I missed your version or take of this meme, feel free to drop me a comment and I will happily include it next week.

Dan Ryckert WWE Meme (By: @CarlNeubert, @HarrisFoster, @tytbone, and @Bezerker85)

And we have not one, but TWO memes of Giant Bomb staff members. As some of you are aware, Greg Miller is hosting a new documentary series on WWE and Dan was a talking head in one of the first episodes. A screencap of Dan's appearance has since become a small meme on Twitter. Again, if I missed your version or take of this meme, feel free to drop me a comment and I will happily include it next week.

Videos

Trivia Tower - Giant Bomb Vs. MinnMax In Game Trivia! (By: MinnMax)

Many thanks to everyone who participated in the first Giant Bomb vs. MinnMax video game trivia night! For those of you that missed it, using MinnMax's Patreon and the Giant Bomb Discord, both communities duked it out in a battle of wits and you can now catch the archive!

Activities

Escape Academy Is The 14Th Selection Of The UUGPGC! Completion Date Is 8/8/2022! Please Mark All Spoilers! +

Unpacking Is The 13th Game Of The UUGPGC! Finish By July 25, 2022. Spoilers Open! Share Your Opinion! (By: BIGSOCRATES)

No Caption Provided

Escape Academy is the 14th selection for the Community Game Pass Game Club! If you have any non-spoiler impressions of the escapist adventure puzzle game, feel free to share them by clicking the first link! Also, the community Game Pass Game Club discussion thread for Unpacking is now OPEN TO SPOILERS! What were your thoughts of the game's story? Did the ending and final level make you feel anything? Join the discussion!

Blogs

That’s Good, That’s Bad: Inscryption [SPOILERS WARNING] (By: @purpleshyguy)

This is definitely a fun read
This is definitely a fun read

PurpleShyGuy is back blogging on Giant Bomb and this weeks looks at the good and bad of Inscryption! Read why they enjoyed the game's style and moody character but butted up against its sometimes bizarre puzzle design.

Indie Game of the Week 280: Coffee Talk (By: @mento)

First, Mento's latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog is all about Toge Productions's Coffee Talk! Use the link to see if they recommend the fantasy casual adventure game!

The Quest For The Worst Adventure Game Puzzles - The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time (Part 1) (By: @zombiepie)

If you want some FMV in your life, do I have a game for you!
If you want some FMV in your life, do I have a game for you!

It's time for another deep look at a 90s era FMV adventure game on Giant Bomb! Check out the first part of moderator ZombiePie's mini-series on The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time and its "interesting" puzzle and game design.

50 FOR 50, PART 2: My 50 Favorite Games Ever (By: @jeremyf)

jeremyf published a blog on where they annotated their fifty favorite games of all time! Check out which games managed to cracked their list by clicking the link below and don't forget to consider making a blog or list of your own!

All PS1 Games In Order: Part 001 (By: @borgmaster)

borgmaster is starting a new series on the site where they look at every video game released on the original PlayStation in chronological order! This week they start things off with the launch titles of Air Combat and Battle Arena Toshinden.

The Bimmy To My Jimmy (By: @pauljeremiah)

I am glad history has shaken itself out of its stupor when it comes to Battle Arena Toshinden. I thought this game was always bad.
I am glad history has shaken itself out of its stupor when it comes to Battle Arena Toshinden. I thought this game was always bad.

Timing is everything is video games. This week, pauljeremiah examines Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones on Giant Bomb and discusses how its timing feels wrong when compared to its predecessors and how that all but ruins the game as a whole.

Lo-Fi Plays IV: Science Edition (By: @gamer_152)

This week Gamer_152 wants you to chill out with them as they look at six little indie games about physics and space that you've probably not played before. If you are looking for some game recommendations, this is the blog for you.

Discussion Threads

Are Video Games Too Focused On Meta Rather Than Enjoyment Now? (By: @pauljeremiah)

This sure did take the gaming internet by storm. If only it was over a good game. (Editors Note: Do not engage with ZombiePie regarding his notoriously bad opinions. It only gives him more strength. -Marino)
This sure did take the gaming internet by storm. If only it was over a good game. (Editors Note: Do not engage with ZombiePie regarding his notoriously bad opinions. It only gives him more strength. -Marino)

To those of you that play online-focused games or games as a service, do you feel like developers are a little too focused on the meta rather than the "fun factor?" Join the community discussion about "balance" with modern video games!

NieR:Automata Unfinished Area Uncovered? (By: @dochaus)

Where does everyone in the community regarding this "secret door" stuff for NieR:Automata? Are you a part of "Team It's a Fake" or "Team This Is Real?" If you ask me, I wish people were excited and speculating for a good game.

Facebook Increases Meta Quest 2 Price By $100 (By: @zombiepie)

I'll down to seeing Facebook lose money.
I'll down to seeing Facebook lose money.

Facebook is increasing the price of the Meta Quest 2 by $100 with no new features to coincide with the price jump! Was it weird to see that news alongside Sony announcing new stuff for PS VR?

KOTOR Remake Indefinitely Delayed (By: @rorie)

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake by Aspyr is delayed and on hiatus. What's your reaction to the news and do you think the project can be resurrected?

What's The Last Game You Purchased Just Based Off The Cover Art? (By: @topcyclist)

This news sure came out of nowhere.
This news sure came out of nowhere.

We are all guilty of doing it at least once as kids, but when was the first and last time you bought a video game exclusively because of the cover art? Did the actual game turn out to be fun or good?

Is Miyamoto’s Quote About Delays Really Irrelevant Nowadays? (By: @pauljeremiah)

Does the famous Miyamoto quote about video game delays still apply to Nintendo and the industry today? Is it such a bad thing that developers can update and improve games via online? pauljeremiah debates the possible pitfalls of this topic.

Now That Stray Is Out And Beloved... Can Blinx The Cat Get A Sequel? (By: @topcyclist)

An all-time video game trash boy.
An all-time video game trash boy.

Don't ask me why, but there's a discussion topic on the forums debating if the release of Stray should lead to a "Revival" of the Blinx IP. I don't know what's real anymore. Help?

Lists

Deep Space 9 Cast (By: @galamoth)

This is so true, it hurts.
This is so true, it hurts.

Calling all Star Trek fans! Galamoth is trying to create a list of every single Deep Space Nine actor that went on to get a video game voice acting credit, whether it be for Star Trek or something else! Help out if you can!

My Personal Top 10 Games Of 2018 (By: @camitalo)

camitalo has been here for a while, but they realized they had never made a 2018 GOTY and this week they decided to correct that problem! Give it a read by clicking the link above.

Wiki Of The Week

Heihachi Mishima

If you give me to further my Tekken Tag Tournament 2 agenda, I will take it.
If you give me to further my Tekken Tag Tournament 2 agenda, I will take it.

In light of recent events, the "Wiki Page of the Week" is Heihachi Mishima's character page! If you want to learn the ins and outs of Heihachi's journey throughout the series beyond his wacky endings, give it a read!

Genessee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

"Reduced Fat...Reduced Fat...Reduced Fat..."

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shoutout to Giant Bomb support for being the best.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

GI Replay quotes in 2022? #THISISAWESOME

Avatar image for mrmckrinkledink
MrMcKrinkledink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dan Auer's GB bomber jacket would have been pretty great

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Am I going to have to get on the Discord? It feels like I’m missing out on stuff more and more, but, man, maybe I’m an outlier but I really can’t stand Discord.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@beggary said:

Am I going to have to get on the Discord? It feels like I’m missing out on stuff more and more, but, man, maybe I’m an outlier but I really can’t stand Discord.

This is a totally natural reaction and something even I have been struggling with recently. I now have five (?) Discords due to Patreon subscriptions and it is impossible to follow everything or remain up to date with current events. As things stand, the only things you are missing out on by not being subscribed to the Discord are:

1. Giveaways
  2. Q&As when they happen
  3. Increased possibility of staff interactions.

Some people will say the last of those is the most important to them, but at the end of the day the staff are also still responding to site comments and are still using chat.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew Brian David Gilbert was the ultimate avatar of internet, but that a morphing of all Giant Bomb members results in Brian David Gilbert is unexpected and uncanny.

beggary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: thanks for the response! I teach technology, so I know I have to get back on Discord, but every once in a while you just reject one. Anything Slack-esque is oogy to me. :)