The Community Spotlight 2022.08.27

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best community-created works form the previous week! After a busy site-related news week yesterday, things were decidedly calm, which makes my life easier. As reviewed last week, the new t-shirts are back up and available through the Giant Bomb store! Furthermore, the bumper stickers that were made on-stream are now available for purchase.

However, people are continuing to report poor printings of shirts they ordered from the Giant Bomb store. It is believed that these shirts are delayed orders of shirts printed from the same batch of bad shirts from before. If you have any issues, email support@giantbombstores.zendesk.com OR drop a comment in the new shirt thread. Rorie is responding to comments posted in the thread daily and feel free to @reply him if he doesn't send you a response.

There were a few scheduling issues last week.

Finally, and I hate to do this, but if you read and enjoy this feature, please consider dropping a comment. These Spotlights do not write themselves and for the past two weeks, the lion's share of comments and replies have been from spambots. The Spotlights are not going anywhere soon, but they help keep my motivation up.

Tweets

Galleria

Expectation vs Reality (By: @kone)

There's been a deluge of Fortnite content on the site and Kone continues to mash the Giant Bomb staff with promotional Fortnite skins with a work of art that adds a twinge of realism to the mix.

No Caption Provided

Giant Bomb x Punch-Out(By: @jearum)

jearum enjoyed Dan and Jeff Grubb injecting some Super Punch-Out!! content on Giant Bomb so much that they wnet ahead and envision the two, and Jan, as fighters in a Giant Bomb-themed Punch-Out game.

No Caption Provided

“How To Catch A Duck, Blind Folded.” (By: @jearum)

If you have a Twitter account, you may recall a video going viral in which blindfolded people attempt to catch a duck. Jearum couldn't help but imagine a world where the Giant Bomb staff try to get in on that hot viral action.

No Caption Provided

Final Fantasy XII T-Shirts(By: @kone)

When Mike Minotti and Jeff Grubb heard that the Final Fantasy anniversary t-shirts were making a comeback they got excited. However, that excitement was dashed when they discovered the Final Fantasy XII shirt was not one of the ones getting rebooted. Luckily, Kone has them covered.

No Caption Provided

Game Mess Spin-off Show Coming Soon+

Funko Pop! x Giant Bomb (2022) +

Giant Bomb: Into the Meta-Verse (2022) (By: @kone)

A while back you may recall the "Game Mess Spin-off Show" logo, Giant Bomb Funko Pops, and Metaverse staff models Kone made for Giant Bomb staff. Well, this week they re-posted their logo on Giant Bomb! If you have yet to thank them for their AMAZING WORK, now is the time to do so!

Fun With crAIyon - AI Based Images - Game Edition (By: @monkeyking1969)

Alright Giant Bomb community, I have been promoting community-created works in the crAIyon thread for a month now and I don't think anyone is one-upping this. Here's a link to the thread if you think you are up for the challenge, but honestly....

No Caption Provided

Activities

As Dusk Falls Is The 16th selection Of The UUGPGC. Completion Date 9/5/22. Mark All Spoilers! +

Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club FAQ and Game Suggestion Thread (By: BIGSOCRATES)

It's time to make some dialogue choices with this edition of the Game Pass Game Club!
It's time to make some dialogue choices with this edition of the Game Pass Game Club!

If you are looking to join a fun video game group, don't forget about the Community Game Pass Game Club! The current game pick is As Dusk Falls! If you have any early non-spoiler impressions, click the first link! Second, don't forget to send bigsocrates your suggestions for future edition of the Game Pass Game Club!

The GB Album Club 003 - Where Owls Know My Name by Rivers of Nihil (By: @unclejam23)

The third edition of the Giant Bomb Community Album Club took a note from Albummer and picked Where Owls Know My Name by Rivers of Nihil as their next discussion point! If you have thoughts about the album or associated act, drop a comment!

Clips

Another Giant Bomb Premium-only Shirt Leaked (By: @kone)

Ask and you shall receive! Kone has a YouTube and blog version of their fake "Premium-only shirt leak" video from a while back! Use either of the links to marvel at their work and send your appreciation!

Giant Bomb - Ryan And Dave Get Frightened By Thunder In Morrowind. (By: Pranav Behari)

On YouTube, Pranav Behari is going through the Giant Bomb archives and is trying to find the site's funniest moments no one talks about! This time they found a time when Dave Snider and Ryan Davis got spooked by lightning in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind!

Blogs

Finishing Final Fantasy VI - Episode 3: Dat Plot Twist, Huh? (Also, Only Monsters Don't Get The Party Back Together) (By: @zombiepie)

Weird dungeons are the best dungeons!
Weird dungeons are the best dungeons!

Moderator ZombiePie has a new episode of their retrospective on Final Fantasy VI up on the site! This 10,000+ word post looks at the Floating Continent, The World of Ruin, and every character recruitment mission! Click the link to read it!

Indie Game of the Week 284: Siactro Showcase (By: @mento)

Mento has a new episode of their "Indie Game of the Week" series on the site and this one is a grab-bag for indie developer Siactro! Click the link below to learn about Macbat 64, Toree 3D, and Toree 2 and if they recommend people check out any of the studio's titles!

All PS1 Games In Order: Part 005 (By: @borgmaster)

Would you be surprised to learn this is a modern 2021 release?
Would you be surprised to learn this is a modern 2021 release?

CyberSpeed, PGA Tour 96, Off-World Interceptor Extreme, and Mortal Kombat 3 are all the big talking points of borgmaster's latest blog on Giant Bomb looking at the PS1's library in chronological order! Give it a read when you have the chance!

Korok Seeds: Meaningful Play in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (By: @gamer_152)

When so many open-world games are full of perfunctory tasks, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild managed to make every job feel meaningful. This week on their blog, Gamer_152 explores how it pulls it off and why they think it will stand the test of time.

Discussion Threads

Sony Announces Price Increases For PS5 In Certain Markets (By: @abs_b)

Are any of you passing on a PS5 after the price increase?
Are any of you passing on a PS5 after the price increase?

Sony has announced the PlayStation 5 will go up in price in Europe, UK, Canada, China, Japan, Australia and Mexico. What is YOUR REACTION to this news? With Microsoft and Nintendo confirming they are not raising the price of their consoles, how do you think Sony looks?

Play Rollerdrome's Post Game, It's Super Good (By: @csl316)

A handful of Giant Bomb speak highly of Rollerdrome's post game! Have you checked out that part of the game? What are your thoughts of how the game ends as well as the game in general? Join the community discussion NOW!

Short Throw Projector Suggestions (By: @kevinwalsh)

Are any of you having a good time with Rollerdrome?
Are any of you having a good time with Rollerdrome?

Who is using a projector as their display for playing games? Do you have any advice about limiting input lag or latency when using a projector? How about using short throw projectors? Share your advice HERE!

Battleifeld 2042 Season 2 Comes Out On August 30 (By: @pauljeremiah)

Battlefield 2042 Season 2 comes out on August 30! What are your impressions of the new map? Is this enough to get you back into Battlefield 2042? What more needs to be done to improve the game?

The First Two Project CARS Games Will Be Delisted From Digital Stores Soon (By: @gtxforza)

Is this enough to turn around 2042's fortunes?
Is this enough to turn around 2042's fortunes?

The first two entries in the Project CARS franchise are set to be delisted! Do you plan to pick up the games before they disappear? What does this mean for game preservation? Is this another example of car licensing sucking?

Destiny 2 is Now A Strand Game! - Lightfall Expansion Reaction Sharing Thread (By: @axl159)

With the recently announced new Lightfall expansion, there are some on Giant Bomb calling Destiny 2 a "strand game." What are your thoughts? Share your impressions of what has been shown of the new expansion by clicking the link.

GRID Legends Coming To EA Play & Xbox Game Pass by September 1st, 2022 (By: @gtxforza)

A strand game? You tell me.
A strand game? You tell me.

GRID Legends is coming is coming to EA Play & Xbox Game Pass by September 1st! Would either program be a great way to experience the game? Are there any other racing games you think would benefit being on a stream platform?

Cult of the Lamb Bugs (By: @axl159)

A majority of the community is happy with Cult of the Lamb, but a growing number are becoming frustrated by the game's bugs and glitches? Have you encountered issues? Some say the game soft locks on them or that the Xbox version is the buggier one.

Lists

The 13 Sentinels, Ranked (By: @mento)

Spoiler warning, obviously, but this is a definite read for anyone who enjoyed 13 Sentinels.
Spoiler warning, obviously, but this is a definite read for anyone who enjoyed 13 Sentinels.

Calling all fans of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim! Moderator Mento wrapped up the game and decided to rank the sentinels based on their story and mechanical value! As long as you don't mind spoilers, this list is a real treat!

Wiki

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I have a soft-spot for people uploading screencaps of games in their original Japanese form.
I have a soft-spot for people uploading screencaps of games in their original Japanese form.

Many thanks to @sombre for reminding me of the original wiki page for Phoenix Wright and how it is an all-time banger on the wiki. Special thanks to @bowl-of-lentils for updating and overhualing the page to make it as amazing as it is today!

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I enjoy the spotlight every week. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to put it together. Thank you.

Cyklone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The amount of work you've done for the site ever since it started has been paramount. Long time visitor, (very) sparse writer here but you're doing God's Work Marino!

spiderspud007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also read these every week and appreciate the time and work that goes it to them . Thank you for your hard work every week.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no! I only have 9000 munnies! Great art as always Jearum. Thanks for the spotlight Zombiepie!

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the spotlight work! I always read them though this is my first time commenting =P

Avatar image for absoluteunit207
AbsoluteUnit207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AbsoluteUnit207

Thanks for all your hard work!

Also shout-out to @jearum for the gray duck deep cut.

Edit: Mention.

obrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to seeing how Dan intends to lay flat on the ground and still move his body like a clock hand. I think he should be allowed a post in the middle to hold onto so that the very basic physics of his idea will at least be possible.

Thanks for doing the spotlight.

jearum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jearum
chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for these posts. I don't use twitter so being

able to see the great artwork by jearum and kone and the like is a highlight of my week.

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Manburger

Had to smash my poor piggybank, but The Spotlight is worth every munny, every time! I always read 'em but usually forget to comment - so I'll just say I always appreciate all the hard work you put into these every week, @zombiepie!! Also enjoy your other writing very much! ♦️

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am here to leave a comment on a feature I enjoy every week!

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I legit had the same train of thought as Dan for catching a duck blindfolded. Awesome work as always, @jearum.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read these most weeks but I'm not sure I've commented on them, it's great to have the wider GB stuff here on the forums and I'm grateful for your efforts.

Thanks for bringing all this stuff together and presenting it so well every week.

Avatar image for scheitzenfruten
Scheitzenfruten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love what you do here! Community Spotlight is one of my favorite things to read through every weekend!

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Spotlight is ace!

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey ZP, the Community Spotlight is still some of the best content put out on this site every week!

kone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again, thanks for the shares and showcasing what people have been up to this week, CreamZombiePie.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The Bubsy gun freaks me out ALMOST as much as the Garfield fightstick.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seeing my username in Spotlight is genuinely surreal to me, ZP! Thank you so much for the great work!

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I HATE the community spotlight!!!

(I don't actually mean this. I'm just trying to drum up more engagement.)

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hey, I read these every week and click on at least a couple of the links! Keep up the good work!

(I suppose now is a bad time to mention I make 8,OOO dollars a month working from home and that I have a hyperlink for a very not-suspicious stream of an NFL game?)

maian1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love reading the spotlight every week. Where else can I see beautiful monsters like the Bubsy gun?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Love your posts. Keep at it !!

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Gang gang

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing we have all of these helpful people to tell me how to work from home so that I don't have to worry about the price hike on the Community Spotlight going forward.

and yes, i do read and enjoy these every week. its a good service since i dont have a twitter account to keep up with a lot of these.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Gang Gang!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just wonderful artists one and all.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Thom_Paine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate the Spotlight, it's the only way I would ever find content that's not on the front page ticker.