The Community Spotlight 2022.10.15

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

Welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back on the best community-created works from the previous week.

With the site making a full recovery from the Great Giant Bombathon and the staff making the long journey back to their homes, things are finally getting "back to normal" with the usual programming populating the site.

Before we transition into the site-related news, I first want to issue a huge congratulation to a couple of Giant Bomb members. Over on Twitter, @MoonRei_Razing got married to another Giant Bomb fan and even ended up getting a tattoo in commemoration of all the memories the site and its many staff members have provided them. Please join me in wishing them and their partner a very happy marriage and a wonderful journey in the next stage of their lives.

News

For those of you wondering, the archive of the Great Giant Bombathon is now on YouTube and the site! The plan is to add timestamps to the 14-hour event at some point, but that is a work in-progress as of right now.

For those of you that have been impacted by the t-shirt recall, please note, you should have until the end of the month of October to get a refund, but after that it will probably be more difficult to issue them with the previous t-shirt partner. As a result, email support@giantbomb.com if your shirts aren't what they look like in the sample photos, or if the status of your order is ambiguous or unclear. For more information on how to opt into a refund, check out Rorie's post on the matter.

Mr. Rorie has stated that in the coming weeks, Giant Bomb plans to put more effort into organizing and recruiting for the site's Giant Bomb Extra Life Team! Currently, the team has 39 members and has raised over $5,000, with the final goal being $223,566! Even if you can only stream for a few hours, please consider creating an account and being part of Giant Bomb's charity effort!

Tweets

Galleria

Get In Dweeb (By: @jearum)

The Great Giant Bombathon might be over, but the fan art for the event is still rolling in! This week, jearum decided to have some fun taking the many outfits and disguises the staff donned during the event with their new favorite show on the site, Dan playing Sonic the Hedgehog (a.k.a., Sonic '06)!

No Caption Provided

Who's The Real Giant Bombathon Hot Dog? (By: @kone)

Multiple staff members have donned a hot dog outfit, and if you pressed me to check my drawers, I could probably find a Patrick Klepek flamin' hot dog t-shirt. Nonetheless, Kone used their mastery of art to combine the staff's penchant for hot dog costumes with one of the most iconic Spider-Man moments of all time.

No Caption Provided

It's Sonicman! (By: @permanentsigh)

Over on Twitter and Discord, permanentsigh decided to have some fun taunting Dan like Jess and Jan normally do during a Sonic '06 stream. This time they took one Dan's outfits and photoshopped it into a memorable moment during a recent Sonic stream.

No Caption Provided

Activities

Paradise Killer Is The 19th Selection Of The UUGPGC! Completion Date Is 10/17/2022. Mark All Spoilers!+

Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club Voting Thread For Cycle Starting 10/17/2022 (By: @bigsocrates)

Feel free to join the discussion for this game this week!
Feel free to join the discussion for this game this week!

Paradise Killer is the 19th selection for the Community Game Pass Game Club! If you have any non-spoiler impressions of the investigative adventure game, share them by clicking the FIRST link! Also, the Game Pass Game Club threw in some SPOOKY GAMES to vote for! The choices include Olija, Inside, Coffee Talk, Immortality, Metal: Hellsinger, You Suck at Parking, Tinykin, and Scorn!

The GB Album Club 010 - What's Your Favorite Album of 2022 So Far? (By: @unclejam23)

Don't forget to vote for what you'd like to play for the next Game Club!
Don't forget to vote for what you'd like to play for the next Game Club!

For this edition of the community Album Club, the group is taking a "vibe check" and is asking what your favorite album has been thus far and what you'd like the group to do different! Join the discussion by clicking the link!

Blogs

All PS1 Games in Order: Part 012 (By: @borgmaster)

It was definitely a different time.
It was definitely a different time.

NHL FaceOff, Hi-Octane, Thunderstrike 2, and Shock Wave Assault are the topics on borgmaster's latest blog on the site looking at the PS1's catalog in chronological release order! If any of these jump out to you, here's a link to their blog!

64 in 64: Episode 18 +

Indie Game of the Week 291: Astalon: Tears of the Earth (By: @mento)

Mega Man 64 (i.e., Mega Man Legends) and Big Mountain 2000 are the topics of Mento's latest retrospective and ranking blog series on the N64's massive catalogue of games! See if Father Time has been kind to either game by clicking the first link! With the second link, we have the latest episode of Mento's "Indie Game of the Week" series and this one checks out Astalon: Tears of the Earth and sees if its 2D Metroidvania-style and gameplay does anything to stand up in a crowded field.

The Quest For The Worst Adventure Game Puzzles - The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One [Part 2] +

I Fear Edgerunners And Sequel Hype Is Whitewashing CD Projekt Red's Many Mistakes With 2077 (By: @zombiepie)

I thought we were playing indie games, not Warframe?
I thought we were playing indie games, not Warframe?

Moderator ZombiePie has the second and final part of their puzzle design retrospective on The Legend of Kyrandia! Click the first link to read why they consider it an underrated gem from the Golden Age of adventure games! ZombiePie also penned an essay on why the hype surrounding Edgerunners and Cyberpunk sequels has them worried consumers and the gaming industry are letting CD Projekt Red whitewash their problematic road to 2077's release.

Discussion Thread

What Is Your List Of MAINLINE Mario Games? (By: @propagandapanda)

The Tweet that set off a shitstorm.
The Tweet that set off a shitstorm.

OKAY FINE! We have a discussion thread on the forums where anyone can chime in about Mike Minotti's comments about what constitutes a "mainline" Mario game. Also, you can join the fun in ranking the mainline Mario games as well.

John Carmack On The Metaverse: "Yeah, This Sucks" (By: @rorie)

What are your impressions of John Carmack's unscripted talk/interview about the state of Meta? I sure is SOMETHING hearing him complain about how slow it is loading people into the metaverse!

Your Worst Game Addiction?(By: @sombre)

Have you ever experienced struggles with limiting yourself from playing a game that started to impact your school, work, or social life? What did you do to set boundaries or limits to your "addiction?" Share your advice on how to avoid games messing up one's life balance and past struggles.

What's This Franchise's (BlazBlue) Future Is Going To Be? (By: @gtxforza)

Is this a monster worth taming?
Is this a monster worth taming?

FGC, this thread is for you! Things are doing pretty well with Guilty Gear, but what do you think the future holds for BlazBlue? Do you think there will be any movement regarding the series' hiatus any time soon?

4090 Reviews Are Hitting (By: @rorie)

The reviews for the 4090 are starting to hit and for many it seems like an exotic luxury good rather than something you'll ever build towards. Share your thoughts about its benchmarks and viability with the rest of the community.

Cartoon Network Has Come To An End (By: @av_gamer)

The end of an era?
The end of an era?

Cartoon Network as the animation channel we all remember it, might be dead. What do you make of the recent news surrounding its merger with Warner Bros. Animation?

Need For Speed Unbound Gameplay Clips Discussion Thread (By: @gtxforza)

The first gameplay clips for Need for Speed Unbound have hit the internet and some in the community like what they have shown and others are still skeptical that the game will help the series turn the corner. Share your thoughts!

Manor Lords - Demo (By: @monkeyking1969)

Are you up for some fantasy grand strategy and city-building fun?
Are you up for some fantasy grand strategy and city-building fun?

Anyone out there checked out the demo for Manor Lords? If you have, what do you make of its mix of city building and real-time strategy? What do you want to see get changed before the full release?

High-Profile or Low-Profile - Which Type Of Keys You Prefer For Mechanical Gaming Keyboard? (By: @gtxforza)

Here's a discussion thread that is bound to get Jeff B's attention! For those of you that care about keyboards, where do you stand in the High-Profile vs Low-Profile debate?

Overwatch 2's Cleaning House Weekly Is Pure RNG Garbage (By: @fatalbanana)

What do you think of what they have shown of the new NFS thus far?
What do you think of what they have shown of the new NFS thus far?

For those lucky members of the community able to play Overwatch 2, what are your impressions of the Cleaning House Weekly system? The majority of the comments in the discussion thread for the system HATE IT WITH A PASSION!

Speculation On The Nintendo Switch's Successor (By: @gtxforza)

It's crazy to think, but the original Nintendo Switch is nearing six years. What do you think Nintendo has planned? How many more console revision rumors do we need to go through before Nintendo does one?

Assume I Haven't Played An Xbox Since The 360 - What Do I Need To Play? (By: @sombre)

This sure does not seem like a good time!
This sure does not seem like a good time!

sombre hasn't been tapped into the Xbox ecosystem since the 360 but is considering getting a Series S because Game Pass seems like a good deal to them. What game releases do you recommend between the 360 and today?

Formula 1 World Champion of 2022 Season Is.... (Spoiler Alert!) (By: @gtxforza)

To all of the F1 fans in the community, what do you make of the final result of the Japan Grand Prix race and Formula 1 World Champion of 2022? It wouldn't be an F1 season end without a little controversy!

Lists

Wiki Pages I Created / Contributed Heavily Towards (By: @melodicvirus)

Always happy to see someone get into editing the wiki!
Always happy to see someone get into editing the wiki!

MelodicVirus might not be one of the usernames that leaps out at you, but they are actually one of the fewer members to join the site's wiki editing community! Check out their list of pages they have worked on to learn more!

My Worst Fighting Games That I Played (By: @sirkinsella98)

Sirkinsella98 has played their fair share of fighting games but this week they took the time to list out what they consider the worst games in the genre they have ever played!

Wishlist Of Hypothetical Guest Characters For Twisted Metal PS5 (By: @jessemb27)

Don't forget to consider making a list of your own!
Don't forget to consider making a list of your own!

There haven't been rumblings about a possible Twisted Metal reboot, but jessemb27 went ahead and envisioned a possible new entry in the series, but as a crossover game with other established Sony characters.

Retro Games I Digitally Own (By: @daniel_newton)

Daniel_Newton ended up making a list on Giant Bomb some of us should consider authoring. They went through their multiple digital libraries and annotated all of the digital copies of "retro" or "classic" games they own, including duplicates.

Wiki Of The Week

Mafia (Franchise)

A series I always wanted to try but never have.
A series I always wanted to try but never have.

I mentioned @melodicvirus at the top of the list section, but credit to them for recently overhauling and updating our franchise page for the Mafia games! If you want an easy-to-read but comprehensive run-down on the series, this is a great place to start!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

On October 13th, we all gather to say: "Fuck you, Brad Garret. I hope you burn in shit!"

Blessed be!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thank you for featuring my five threads!

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4 ALLTheDinos  Online

Congrats to “lord anime” on the wedding! My wife and I haven’t seen you in a while (2014?) but we’re very happy for both of you!

kone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the weekly roundup of all things Giant Bomb community, ZombeefcakePie.

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There has to be more people than just myself who would want a supercut of Vinny's "Does Not Compute" reactions to Dan Ryckert's out of left field comments. Pirates, and now Horny Horror, are definitely making my list.

TheDrumkid92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will there be a full schedule/list of Community Extra Life streams created before the big weekend?

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiketail: So another 14 hour long video basically?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just incredible art!