The Epic Games Store Holiday Sale is Actually Pretty Good

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Given a lot of peoples feelings about the EGS I think their holiday sale might have slipped under the radar.

A lot of games are discounted until January 1st and if you log on within then you also get a 10 euro coupon and a new coupon for every game you buy.

The coupon can be used on games costing 14.99 euro or more leading to some pretty good discounts, a good example is Division 2, which you can get for 5 euro at the moment.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The free stuff is fantastic. So far I've got Into the Breach, Ape Out, TABS and Towerfall Ascension

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's really good. Free games have been great, rumor is that Kingdom Come is going to be one of the other free games which I'm stoked about if that's the case. And the discounts are pretty crazy.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah- i haven’t purchased anything, but everyone should be scooping up the free stuff. i have yet to use the client for actual games, but just grabbing the free stuff has given me a fairly absurd library on there.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W A T T A M

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Scooped up Div 2 and Breakpoint for about the cost of a month of UP+, so I'm pretty pleased.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By frytup

I created an account months ago and have never actually installed the client. Happy to collect the free stuff through the web site, though.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Bonbonetti

Yeah, I bought a whole bunch of games during the sale, including The Crew 2, Outward, Watchdogs 2, and Vampyr.

The 10€/$ coupon also applies to non-sale games, so I got Phoenix Point at a pretty good price.

I'd especially suggest Surviving the Aftermath, which you can get for €10 with a coupon. This is a Paradox title, so the price will jump dramatically close to launch, to at least €50. It will probably also get a whole bunch of expensive DLCs, so if you get the core game cheaply you can save some buck in the long run. Paradox games are also rather slow to drop in price once launched. The game is quite playable even at this stage.

One thing I really like about these non-Steam platforms (Epic, Uplay, Origin...) is that there is no "community" to insult your senses; these alternative platforms are just about the games, and I prefer that over Steam.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bonbonetti: I do enjoy looking at those Steam reviews - 134 hours played: Would not recommend.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

@humanity: That's a good point; I'm amazed it takes some people 100+ hours to figure out they don't like a thing.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Don't know if anyone noticed, but that $10 coupon actually lasts until May 1st, 2020. So even if you don't buy anything now, it's still going to kick around in your account. Between that and free games, Epic is giving people a reason to make an account if nothing else haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Yup I now have more games on Epic than Steam, but I'm also not big on PC gaming and have a weaker machine. Still, all the free games have made me use my PC more and is making me think of just upgrading it instead of going right in on new consoles.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonbonetti: Yeah. Even back when folk hated EGS with a passion (what WAS the game that made people tolerate it?) I kept pointing ut that feature parity isn't necessarily a good thing.

I want 2fa, integrated xpadder/controller mapping, cloud saves, steam workshop, and MAYBE achievements. I actively don't want any community bullshit

And I know plenty of folk who have zero need for cloud saves. I am stupid and game across three different windows installations. I know folk who only ever use their laptop to play fortnite.