The gang is gonna have a field day with Most Disappointing

• 128 results
dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel like lots of big games let down the GB crew this year, Destiny, WatchDogs, etc...am I crazy?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Destiny, Watch Dogs... er... what else? EDIT: Akiba's Trip.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm not sure that anyone on the staff had expectations high enough for Watch Dogs to consider it a particularly big disappointment.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought both of those games when I bought an Xbox One, and maybe it was my extremely low expectations, but I'm enjoying my time with them (so far).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Infamous: Second Son would be mine. Loved the previous 2 games, and it was my favorite new IP of last-gen. This one was so scaled back and launch-gamey that I'm soured on Sucker Punch, as a whole.

Seems like Brad's in a similar boat. He had a lot of nice things to say about the series, but he didn't finish this one (neither have I, honestly). Granted, Jeff seemed to like a lot of it so Destiny's probably the shoe-in. Watch Dogs may have been disappointing if it launched last year, but the guys seemed to temper their expectations a lot after the delay.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Jeff has expressed his lukewarm opinions on Destiny, but Brad seemed more upbeat on it. Beyond that, we really haven't heard from the rest of the crew on it.

Speaking for myself, I'm thoroughly enjoying Destiny, though I recognize it has some massively missed opportunities for improvement. Watch Dogs however, was OK... until my game locked up and corrupted my save. Not really grounds for Most Disappointing, but still unfortunate all the same.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Jeff has expressed his lukewarm opinions on Destiny, but Brad seemed more upbeat on it. Beyond that, we really haven't heard from the rest of the crew on it.

Patrick and Alex both talked about their experience with Destiny on Friday's Bombin' in the AM. Neither was particularly upbeat. Certainly, there are parts of the game that they feel are done well, but the rest of what's there doesn't hold up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Destiny, Watch Dogs... er... what else?

Patrick seemed pretty down on Dark Souls II and I am willing to guess that at least one big release this holiday will be a bummer of one sort or another (my money is on Far Cry 4 personally, though I could also see Dragon Age Inquisition if that goes bad)

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think they even had high expectations for Destiny; they were curious as to what it even was and when they did finally find out it was them playing the Alpha. Unless they talked about it during bombcasts, I'm ignorant in that aspect.

Same with Watch Dogs, they didn't seem to be hugely disappointed and agreed it was a competent video game.

I have a feeling the most disappointing will be a game not yet released this year; maybe Sunset Overdrive (I hope this ends up good) Alien Isolation, or god forbid Far Cry 4

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@omniscientcajun said:

Patrick and Alex both talked about their experience with Destiny on Friday's Bombin' in the AM. Neither was particularly upbeat. Certainly, there are parts of the game that they feel are done well, but the rest of what's there doesn't hold up.

Speaking of Bombin', Patrick and Alex might give a vote for The Walking Dead Season 2 (which I would disagree with), but I don't know if they'd push for it to win.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@believer258 said:

Destiny, Watch Dogs... er... what else?

Patrick seemed pretty down on Dark Souls II and I am willing to guess that at least one big release this holiday will be a bummer of one sort or another (my money is on Far Cry 4 personally, though I could also see Dragon Age Inquisition if that goes bad)

I don't think the majority of the staff could give two shits about Dragon Age. Vinny and Patrick are the only ones I think will even play it (and who knows if Vinny will even have enough time considering his personal life), and the only way it gets a review is if Patrick decides to do one. However it turns out, there is nowhere near enough interest from the staff for it have any chance of being most disappointing.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Ahh, pretty much the one regular piece of content here that I don't often tune in to. OK, good to know.

Destiny's in a weird spot when it comes to Most Disappointing with a First Look Alpha, an early Beta, and a public Beta, all of which was very similar to the opening hours of the game. You could get a decent understanding of both how the game played and how its story was going to be told. That much prerelease exposure could temper vehement feelings of disappointment. Like @arbitrarywater and @somedelicook said, my money's on a title yet to be released.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're going the hypothetical route on games that have yet to be released then pretty much all games have a potential to be disappointing.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about GOTY? It's going to be interesting to see what gets considered for that award. It doesn't feel like there were many games this year that really belong in that conversation.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15 FinalDasa  Moderator

Destiny will certainly be up there, especially if their updates and DLC doesn't help, but I don't know if that will win. I think Watch Dogs inability, even with a delay, to stand out against older games like GTA 4 will have a 'better' chance.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're going the hypothetical route on games that have yet to be released then pretty much all games have a potential to be disappointing.

We're talking biggest disappointment though. If Far Cry 4 comes out and is garbage it will be far more devastating for this website than if say Dragon Age or Assassin's Creed turn out bad.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: Given that Dark Souls II is still the frontrunner for GotY that seems unlikely (might get mentioned and removed rapidly). Destiny is probably going to win most disappointing easily, Watch Dogs is not amazing but it's a perfectly competent game and is slightly innovative, Destiny is just a grind with no real benefit associated with it other than pretty good shooting.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Yeah, it'll probably be easy to find nominees.

But Dark Souls 2 is gonna win.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

We can't have this conversation until we hear their opinions on the hot new Pokemon (re-)releases this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see a situation where Destiny or Watchdogs are most disappointing and also somewhere on the Game of the Year list. We're running out of big released this year.

Maybe expectations this year are higher than what the industry seems capable of delivering? Or it massively over promised.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunter5024

This category is so weird, because you have to take into account not only how bad the game was, but how high the crews expectations were. Because those expectations are always different from dude to dude, that's what they always argue about. It's always fun to listen to though, and holy shit I just imagined Dan in goty for the first time and now I'm so excited.

I think those 2 games are kind of a shoo in though. Also I bet Titanfall will be the third.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@arbitrarywater: Given that Dark Souls II is still the frontrunner for GotY that seems unlikely.

Maybe for you, but I think you're on the high-end of reception for that game. Vinny and Rorie liked it well enough but Brad didn't finish it (the excuse being that he was going to play the PC version and then oh wait DOTA happened) and Patrick has been negative/ambivalent on it the entire time. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if DS II was in my top 5, but if that game ends up as my personal GOTY then it means someone messed up.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunter5024
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: EDIT, Only Vinny caring about Dragon Age didn't stop DA II from winning most disappointing 3 years ago. I think public sentiment is enough to sway them one way or the other.

@arbitrarywater: Given that Dark Souls II is still the frontrunner for GotY that seems unlikely.

Maybe for you, but I think you're on the high-end of reception for that game. Vinny and Rorie liked it well enough but Brad didn't finish it (the excuse being that he was going to play the PC version and then oh wait DOTA happened) and Patrick has been negative/ambivalent on it the entire time. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if DS II was in my top 5, but if that game ends up as my personal GOTY then it means someone messed up.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To add a bit of positivity to this thread, Wolfenstein for best out-of-nowhere surprise =D

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: Well I'm not saying based on my opinion; I mean except for Titanfall there isn't anything even remotely close so far. If you have one objectively good game that is varying degrees of good depending on your point of view and a whole bunch of shit then the good game is going to win. There's some chance it won't win on this site because they have 6 or 7 people on the Game of the Year podcast and only 2 of them played it but it will probably win at the majority of other websites and it's still an extremely strong contender for at least top 3 here.

There's a decent chance Brad will play through Dark Souls II right near the end of the year because there's only a few more games coming out and it's hard to compile a top 10 if you haven't played 10 games.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really unfortunate that we are nearing the end of the year and people are bringing up Titanfall and Destiny as candidates for "Most Disappointing." A year ago I would have told you with confidence that those games were going to be huge critical hits.

But onto the real question... will DOTA be on Brad's Top 10 again?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't know. This is a tough year what with so few interesting games coming out in general this year.

To those talking about Dark Souls 2 being GOTY; don't forget that Dan works here now. I'm not entirely sure what he even thinks about that series in general. I think they've mentioned it before in conversations with him, but I don't recall his comments of it or if he's even played them. And then there's Alex, although I don't remember what his stance on Dark Souls is either. I think he liked it, but I forget if he's even played those games.

I kind of wonder what GOTY this year will even be like. It's going to be interesting. Maybe all the late year games will be the best stuff, I don't know.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@arbitrarywater: @cornbredx: Woops forgot Hearthstone technically came out this year, that's probably going to win (also has a huge playerbase which generally shifts favoritism a la Skyrim); but Dark Souls 2 is not going to be a frontrunner for most disappointing regardless. D3 has a shot at GoTY, which is amusing to me.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corevi

Transistor or D3: Reaper of Souls/Ultimate Evil Edition are my current GOTYs. I do like Watch Dogs and really like Destiny but I can recognize the problems they have.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cornbredx

@fredchuckdave: Oh no. I wasn't trying to imply DS2 was disappointing at all. I think it's fine even if its only 95% Dark Souls. That's better than most games haha

What do you mean by "D3"?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. This is a tough year what with so few interesting games coming out in general this year.

To those talking about Dark Souls 2 being GOTY; don't forget that Dan works here now. I'm not entirely sure what he even thinks about that series in general. I think they've mentioned it before in conversations with him, but I don't recall his comments of it or if he's even played them. And then there's Alex, although I don't remember what his stance on Dark Souls is either. I think he liked it, but I forget if he's even played those games.

I kind of wonder what GOTY this year will even be like. It's going to be interesting. Maybe all the late year games will be the best stuff, I don't know.

My gut feeling for game of the year (from Giant Bomb specifically) is Far Cry 4. They all loved Far Cry 3 and while there's no telling how well 4 will turn out, that's one game everyone will certainly play. Considering right now there's no front runner at all (again, among this staff specifically), I think if Far Cry 4 is good it walks away with GOTY.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@cornbredx: A game by Swery!

Diablo 3 actually. The expansion, Reaper of Souls, is pretty good.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ya, if Farcry 4 fixes all the problems with 3 (my early predictions is it won't, but that's just me guessing based on experience; who knows it could be amazing) and have an amazing villain and story throughout then that's very possible. I really liked Farcry 3 also- I had less problems with the game then they did but it came out in a pretty jam packed year. There was a lot of games worth talking about that year (2012).

Ya, you make a very good point.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: It is, but I don't think Giant Bomb counts expansions/re-releases/port overs in GOTY deliberations. I could be wrong, though.

I agree that it made the game better, though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@cornbredx: I'm not actually sure, obviously most DLC and whatever shouldn't count but a big old fashioned expansion seems like it would, granted Blizzard is the only company that really does that still. I'm pretty sure Heart of the Swarm factored in, could be wrong though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@cornbredx said:

@ll_exile_ll: Ya, if Farcry 4 fixes all the problems with 3 (my early predictions is it won't, but that's just me guessing based on experience; who knows it could be amazing) and have an amazing villain and story throughout then that's very possible. I really liked Farcry 3 also- I had less problems with the game then they did but it came out in a pretty jam packed year. There was a lot of games worth talking about that year (2012).

Ya, you make a very good point.

I don't even think it needs to be any better than Far Cry 3. I think if Far Cry 3 came out this year they would give it game of the year, I don't feel like there's a single game this year any of them really enjoyed nearly as much the stuff that beat out Far Cry back in 2012.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's got to be between Titanfall and Watch Dogs I'd think. I don't know how early the GB crew started souring on Watch Dogs but it had HUGE hype at one point pretty much across the board.

Then there's Titanfall, oh Titanfall, the game that was going to re-revolutionize console FPS games and everyone was done with two weeks after it coming out.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot see Dark Souls 2 listed as a major disappointment at all. Perhaps not fulfilling it's highest promise, though I think it did quite well despite the first dlc.

Titan fall seems to have come and gone, decently conceived but severely limited. Destiny is very mixed. Watch Dogs seems clearly the front runner to my mind. I wonder if Destiny has done a first assassin's Creed, and will climb out of the pit. It is certainly not all failure, and has potential w/ the depth of it's developer.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I'd really like Far Cry 4 to be really good, but I hope for something more for GOTY. Obviously thats the fault of having more sequels over new ip's, but it almost feels like Far Cry 4 would win by default.

Who knows, maybe the upcoming games I listed as possible most disappointing could end up being GOTY. Alien Isolation taking it by surprise would be fresh, especially considering the situation the Alien brand was in last year in video games.

Shadow of Mordor would be really great for Monolith; I'm afraid if it bombs Monolith might be made no more, and we need a new FPS from them dangit!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I would argue the expansion itself, the added story and "map" (for lack of a better word), is a little disappointing (only a little). The game was improved by the removal of the real money auction house, and update that improved loot drops- which happened before the expansion was released.

The expansion did add the end game stuff (forgot what it's called- Adventure mode?) and reasons to continue playing, which were good, but all that is superfluous to the actual game part which I don't think much was added. And again the rest (loot drops specifically) was not actually from the expansion, but was released before the expansion came out.

So, just with that thought process in mind (keep in mind I'm just being this critical due to a GOTY discussion thought process here- I loved the expansion) I don't think it would cut it even with what little competition it would have if it does count.

Honestly, it wont be on my personal GOTY list- and I had vanilla Diablo 3 on my 2011 list, but that's just me.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cornbredx

@ll_exile_ll: I can agree with that, but I know developers always try to one up themselves and sometimes this can be a detriment to a game. So it just tends be better or worse. I would be fine if it just hits the same bar and doesn't go above it.

I suspect they want to, though. The problems with 3 are easily top-able without ruining the experience. I'm just not completely sold on the new villain yet, really. There hasn't been that "definition of insanity" moment for me yet.

Maybe it's just because I don't follow PR and hype much before games I like come out, I don't know haha

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall should be right up there for most disappointing but Jeff seemed to like it so, who knows?

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best DLC / expansions have their own category, don't they? Unless they removed it. I think I remember Minerva's Den winning however long ago that was.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Goty should be limited to five games this year due to the absence of quality.

Watch Dogs was disappointing but despite its shortcomings I'm really enjoying it at the moment. Just need DLC to bring in helicopters, Bazookas, more missions, more gang hideouts and no more fixer contracts, especially transporter ones.

As for Destiny and Titanfall, well they always were going to be mediocre.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like the year AAA development disappointed while indie games blew it out of the water.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjaparttime: That's right. I don't remember if they still do that (last years GOTY is a blur) but ya... you're right.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

It feels like the year AAA development disappointed while indie games blew it out of the water.

I don't really think indie games have really blown it out of the water this year.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SomeDeliCook

They haven't had best DLC the last two years