The GB Album Club 025 - Untrue by Burial

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Duders! Welcome to the 25th of edition of the Unofficial Giant Bomb Album Club! Last week, we went to Mars with Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie. It was Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie, therefore it was good. This week, we're hitting the dance floor, but we're also feeling isolated and depressed. Like we're not at a dancefloor in a fun club but a dingy underground one in Europe where gothed out hackers hang out. That's right, this week's album is Untrue by Burial!This album was selected by @dain22, and you can listen below:

Spotify

Apple Music

Bandcamp

Youtube

The Unofficial Giant Bomb Album Club! For this cycle, we made a pool of albums with a theme: Albums We Always Meant To Listen To But Didn't. (This is why we've been so classic rock heavy this cycle. Not that I'm complaining!) Every week, we pick an album at random and discuss. We're a little late in the cycle for new submissions as there's just this one and the next album left. But come on down to the Discord to shoot the shit and maybe get in on cycle 3, the theme of which you'd get to help decide! So get the fuck over here.

the_kempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This (along with his self-titled debut) is one my favorite albums ever. I was in college in Chicago when it came out and it became my soundtrack for long 3AM walks home from parties that ended up being not-so-fun. Archangel is rightly the standout song, but the whole album is near perfect.

It's kind of a shame he hasn't released a full length LP since, but the EPs are really good.

Also, adding a shout out to the documentaries of Adam Curtis: he frequently uses Burial in his films about our confusing modern existence.

9.5/10

Tsiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thatpinguino  Staff

I don't think I get this album. It reminds me of Moby, but without the hooks. Are the folks who really love this album actively listening to it or listening to it for ambiance? I have a hard time separating the songs, but they all have a pretty good beat and a general sense of melancholy. I don't know that I love what I'm hearing. Given how much people seem to like this album, I'll at least give a few songs a second listen.

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This was my first time listening to Untrue, and two major memories came to mind.

The first is from 2013. I was interning at a production company and my job for the day was to take the gigantic pile of business cards and enter them into the company's Outlook contacts. It was a mindless enough task that I did it while listening to music, and the last album I listened to that day was Since I Left You by The Avalanches, an album that's now a desert island favorite of mine. Like Untrue, Since I Left You is a mostly sample-based album you can dance to or listen to with headphones. The difference, however, is entirely in aesthetic. Since I Left You is an album of boundless joy and energy and Untrue sounds like the sharp comedown that happens after you experience something like what Since I Left You has to offer.

Yet I thought about Since I Left You a lot while listening to it. Maybe it's from growing up in a "rap is crap" house, but I still feel like sampling is dismissed much too easily. Yet you listen to these albums back to back and it becomes clear what sampling can accomplish and the wide range of emotionality it can cover. It's not that I've never listened to something like Burial before. As a matter of fact, I had to constantly remind myself that I was listening to something from 2007 and not 2017. But I could still feel this album stimulating parts of my brain that rarely get touched. The musical marriage of drum patterns that make your head nod and a frigid mournful tone. Melancholy dance music. (The only other example of that union I can think of at the moment is the 2021 self-titled album by For Those I Love, which is a genius album everyone should listen to.)

The other memory was from 2011. I was in a musician buddy of mine's dorm and he found this mixtape called House of Balloons from this dude called The Weeknd. We were freaking out about how this is the next guy well before it was over, but this memory came to mind because I thought a lot about how hard "What You Need" hit me on my first listen.

Loading Video...

The idea of taking a poppier sample like the one from Aaliyah's "Rock the Boat" and bringing it to this much more subdued moodier place was a revolutionary idea for me at the time. I didn't know then that Burial had treaded those waters years before. Of course, there was also DJ Shadow (who I was a fan of since high school) and other stuff like that existed as well. Albums that brought a more emotive philosophy to their sampling. But something about that Weeknd song didn't feel like DJ Shadow or anything like it. It's the feeling I got from Untrue.

I hear the influence of Untrue everywhere. And not just in The Weeknd and that wave of haunted R&B, but in so many other places as well. Yet, thanks in large part to its production and unique sampling, it feels very singular. It's an album that's simultaneously everywhere and nowhere else.

The video @tsiku linked to ends with a quote from Burial. "What I want is that feeling when you're in the rain, or a storm. It's a shiver at the edge of your mind, an atmosphere of hearing a sad, distant sound, but it seems closer - like it's just for you." I thought about the rain a lot while listening. Granted, some of that has to do with the fact that I was listening to this album while playing Minecraft, and it was raining in the game too. (No, YOU'RE embarrassed to admit that!) But... I don't know. A lot of people associate rain with sadness, but I like rain. It makes me think of grass growing. It's exactly the kind of duality that makes Untrue sing. It took me to musical moments in my past of being hit with more icy music as well as moments of musical bliss.

So yeah, I liked it.

Favorite Songs: "Ghost Hardware," "Untrue," "Homeless"

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I get this album. It reminds me of Moby, but without the hooks. Are the folks who really love this album actively listening to it or listening to it for ambiance? I have a hard time separating the songs, but they all have a pretty good beat and a general sense of melancholy. I don't know that I love what I'm hearing. Given how much people seem to like this album, I'll at least give a few songs a second listen.

Yeah, I'm also thinking about this. Sounds like the kind of thing someone would listen to whilst they wait an hour to catch the last bus home or something. I already have DJ Shadow's Endtroducing for that. I've still got a few tracks left to go but, even as ambience goes, it's not ... raising the needle much.

The album doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. It stays with the same mood, the same disembodied vocals and only the song I've heard before, Archangel sounds like it's trying to kick the tempo up a notch. But this album has like ... three tracks pulling the same trick.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By redwing42

@shindig: I agree. The album is pleasant enough, but there just isn't anything going on that grabs me and makes me pay attention. Even on past chill albums we have covered, there was usually some virtuoso instrumentation or a couple tracks with guests that I could grab on to mentally, but this is just a whole bunch of well made beats with basically nothing else going on for me. Certainly didn't dislike it, but it is easily forgettable.