The GB store needs a knitted hat for winter, but what do you call a knit cap (other than knit cap...)

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for seriuzbiznus
Posted by SeriuzBiznus (164 posts) 1 year, 10 months ago

Poll: The GB store needs a knitted hat for winter, but what do you call a knit cap (other than knit cap...) (497 votes)

Beanie 53%
Tuque 19%
Woolly Hat 7%
Stocking Hat 5%
Toboggan 3%
Snookie 0%
Tea Cosy 1%
It's a fucking hat, who cares? 12%

I'd like to make a suggestion that the GB Store should add some winter suitable hats in addition to the caps currently available, but firstly I think the naming issue (as discussed on various podcasts) needs to be settled once and for all.

Avatar image for dave_tacitus
#2 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2507 posts) -

I wanted to vote for 'knit cap' since here it's called a knit cap, but as knit cap is not one of the options I can't vote for knit cap.

Knit. Cap.

Avatar image for monkeyking1969
#3 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7649 posts) -

Winter hat. I have a half a dozen my mother has hand knit for me, but we don't call them anything other than 'winter hat'. And, over the years I must have had 50! That is the thing about a hand knit items, you give them to a kid because s/he will LOSE IT. Up until 30 years ago, hand knit items were made because they were cheap.

Avatar image for sparky_buzzsaw
#4 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8925 posts) -

Beanie or a watch cap if it's long enough. Would really love a good, long GB beanie.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
#5 Posted by RalphMoustaccio (302 posts) -

I went with "stocking hat," but it really should be "stocking cap."

Avatar image for franstone
#6 Posted by Franstone (1534 posts) -

Winter hat all the way.

Avatar image for monkeyman04
#7 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2801 posts) -

I would love if they sold a BEANIE in the store.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#8 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1548 posts) -

Yes a GBeanie would be great.

Avatar image for poveren
#9 Posted by poveren (320 posts) -


Avatar image for oursin_360
#10 Edited by OurSin_360 (6197 posts) -

@ralphmoustaccio: a stocking cap is something completely different, stocking hat might be a regional term i am not familiar with.

I guess a beanie is what i would call a knitted cap.

Edit: huh, google has another thing as a stocking cap. Guess its a culture thing, stocking cap was always the tight cap made out of a womens stocking material you wear to get waves. We always referred to those other hats as "Elf hat's" or "Christmas hats"

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for oldenglishc
#11 Posted by oldenglishc (1547 posts) -

"Snookie"? What?

It's weird. The only answer that doesn't apply, besides snookie (What?), is the leading vote getter. The internet is the first time in my life that I've ever seen that type of hat referred to as a beanie. It's either knit cap, stocking cap, or winter hat.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
#12 Edited by RalphMoustaccio (302 posts) -

@oursin_360: Yeah, calling those items “stocking caps” makes total logical sense. My comment was meant to reflect that I’ve never heard someone say “stocking hat” when referring to the knit winter hats, only ever “stocking cap.”

The regionaity of the nomenclature for this particular article of clothing has always fascinated me. We all seem to agree upon calling a shirt a shirt, but there’s a ton of different names for a relatively ubiquitous type of hat. Odd.

Avatar image for ripelivejam
#13 Edited by ripelivejam (13223 posts) -
would totes wear one of these on my head
would totes wear one of these on my head

Avatar image for frodobaggins
#14 Edited by FrodoBaggins (2098 posts) -

It's a woolly hat is what it is.

Avatar image for frontfungus
#15 Posted by frontfungus (49 posts) -

knit cap would be so dope

Avatar image for notnert427
#16 Edited by notnert427 (2289 posts) -

I've always said beanie, but that also brings up a mental image of the propeller-hat version to me, so maybe I'm way off. I'll defer to people who actually live in climates where these are worn as a useful bit of attire, as I do not.

(I do think it would be cool if the store had one.)

Avatar image for clagnaught
#17 Posted by clagnaught (2140 posts) -

That device is called a beanie.

Avatar image for fledeye
#18 Posted by fledeye (263 posts) -

It's a woolly hat unless it's got a pompom on it, then it's a bobble hat.

Avatar image for theht
#19 Posted by TheHT (15874 posts) -


Avatar image for fezrock
#20 Posted by Fezrock (732 posts) -

It's a winter hat, or, sometimes, a skull cap.

Avatar image for msouza1991
#21 Posted by msouza1991 (72 posts) -

I have always called it a skull cap.

Avatar image for zolroyce
#22 Posted by ZolRoyce (1589 posts) -

As another Canadian, toque.

Also if they did one and the little pompom/fluffy bit on top was the smiling Giant Bomb logo itself, that would be the best and I would purchase one very quickidly.

Avatar image for justin258
#23 Edited by Justin258 (15687 posts) -

I'm in North Carolina and I usually hear it referred to as a toboggan around my family and as any number of words around other people. Yeah, I know, Northerners call sleds toboggans.

Personally, I jump back and forth between toboggan and beanie. Same thing. I don't care. I probably won't ever call a sled anything other than a sled, so toboggan means beanie means the thing you put on your head when it's really fucking cold outside.

Avatar image for rejizzle
#24 Posted by Rejizzle (1135 posts) -

Toque, tuque, or touque.

As for the others: A tea cosy is for tea, snookie is how they pronounce snooker in the UK, a toboggan is a vehicle for traversing snow, a stocking hat is long and floppy like what Link usually wears, a woolly hat is a precursor to the modern day hat that lived in the Pleistocene era, and a beanie has a non-functional propeller on top.

Avatar image for bmccann42
#25 Posted by bmccann42 (434 posts) -

It's a touque, at least it is up here in the Great White North (where it currently feels like 30 degrees Celsius)

Avatar image for oursin_360
#26 Edited by OurSin_360 (6197 posts) -

@ralphmoustaccio: i honestly never thought about it, this a pretty interesting thread imo.

It is a bit similar to how people call pop "soda", i remember when i moved to texas from chicago i got plenty wtf looks from the fast food joints. I wonder what other names there are for those carbonated beverages.( They say both in my family btw)

Avatar image for therealturk
#27 Posted by TheRealTurk (576 posts) -

A head sock?

Avatar image for captain_insano
#28 Posted by Captain_Insano (3531 posts) -

They're called Beanies

Avatar image for crazybagman
#29 Edited by CrazyBagMan (1670 posts) -

I google "touque" and get an urban dictionary definition, and "toque" returns a definition of "nounnoun: toque; plural noun: toquesa woman's small hat, typically having a narrow, closely turned-up brim." Neither with pictures by default.

Searching "beanie" returns pictures of a beanie as well as multiple retail listings for beanies, knit hats for cold weather.

I can handle people calling soda "pop" but come on.

Avatar image for echoecho
#30 Edited by EchoEcho (879 posts) -

@justin258: Maybe I'm just personally overly pedantic, but I'm a northerner (from Connecticut, though I've lived in New Mexico for the past ten years), and -- at least where I'm from -- we don't call every sled a "toboggan"; we reserve that term for traditional examples of a toboggan. Everything else we just call a sled.

Also, according to The Internet, the term "toboggan" in reference to the hat started as shorthand for "toboggan hat", ie "a hat suitable for wearing while tobogganing." Kind of weird that the shorthand for the hat stuck, yet people stopped using the term for the sled after which the hat takes its name.

Anyway, I've always just called it a knit cap or "winter hat." Disappointed that option wasn't in the poll.

@crazybagman: You'll find that the Wikipedia page covers most of the different names and the origins thereof:

Most of the differences stem from the fact that this type of cap goes back centuries, with several different origins, all influenced by original purpose and the language spoken at the time in a given area. They're all more or less referring to the same thing, though, and are all equally legitimate. Although I maintain calling them "toboggans" as shorthand for "toboggan hats" is needlessly confusing. What if people started using "baseballs" as shorthand for "baseball caps"? Madness.

Avatar image for dan_citi
#31 Posted by Dan_CiTi (5249 posts) -
Avatar image for zombiepenguin9
#32 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (775 posts) -

I usually call them beanies, but everyone in my family in my parent's generation or older call them toboggans.

Avatar image for theflamingo352
#33 Posted by TheFlamingo352 (377 posts) -

Wait can we actually get these though? Mannnn I'd buy a GiantBeanie in a heartbeat, just lost my old one.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#34 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1548 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Here's my quick mockup, I'm sure we can all agree on this.

Avatar image for wchigo
#35 Posted by wchigo (901 posts) -

@kingbonesaw: as a fellow Canadian I agree with this completely, eh?

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
#36 Posted by James_ex_machina (1067 posts) -

SMH I just listened to the Beastcast with the "beanie" discussion. Dan thought all beanies had a propeller.

Avatar image for ajamafalous
#37 Edited by ajamafalous (13820 posts) -

Many of those are different specific things

Avatar image for rh51
#38 Posted by rh51 (28 posts) -

I would absolutely buy a beanie if the GB crew decided to sell one!

Avatar image for seriuzbiznus
#39 Edited by SeriuzBiznus (164 posts) -
Avatar image for monkeyking1969
#40 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7649 posts) -

What we need is one of the winter hats with the crochet beard on it....

No Caption Provided

I call it the Jeff Bakalar.

Avatar image for ravelle
#41 Posted by Ravelle (3318 posts) -

SMH I just listened to the Beastcast with the "beanie" discussion. Dan thought all beanies had a propeller.

Propeller hats have propellers, Beanies have fluff balls.

Avatar image for onemanarmyy
#42 Edited by Onemanarmyy (4498 posts) -

@kingbonesaw: Huh, over here in the netherlands, Toque refers to the thing you use to protect your privates in various sports.

Avatar image for 49th
#43 Edited by 49th (3914 posts) -

It's called a beanie, any other answer is wrong. I didn't even know propellor hats existed in real life (they are called propellor hats btw, not beanies). I have never seen a propellor hat in my entire life and such a niche and specific thing does not deserve the name "beanie" - that is absurd. Stocking cap is a long floppy thing an old cartoon guy wears to sleep. A toboggan is something you ride in the snow. A knitted cap is a beanie with thick thread. Bobble hat is a beanie with a pom pom on top. A winter hat is any kind of hat you wear in winter.

Avatar image for vasta_narada
#44 Posted by Vasta_Narada (751 posts) -

@ravelle said:
@james_ex_machina said:

SMH I just listened to the Beastcast with the "beanie" discussion. Dan thought all beanies had a propeller.

Propeller hats have propellers, Beanies have fluff balls.

Beanies have propellers, toques may or may not have fluff balls but they certainly what a winter hat is supposed to be called.

@kingbonesaw: Huh, over here in the netherlands, Toque refers to the thing you use to protect your privates in various sports.

We call those cups here in North America, or jock(strap)s.

Avatar image for timeshero
#45 Posted by TimesHero (974 posts) -


Avatar image for elmorales94
#46 Posted by elmorales94 (373 posts) -

Now if someone could just forward these poll results to a Mr. Dan Ryckert...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
#47 Posted by deactivated-5a923fc7099e3 (534 posts) -

We call it "muts" over here.

Avatar image for rave
#48 Posted by Rave (436 posts) -

Voted Toque, glad to see all us Canadians have our shit together on this and know what it's called :p

Avatar image for tom_omb
#49 Edited by Tom_omb (1073 posts) -

Toque (or how ever you want to spell it)

No Caption Provided

I think I first saw the term "Beanie" in a Tony Hawk character creator, so I presumed that's what you'd call it when speaking American.

I mean, besides this one:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#50 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (647 posts) -

I feel like knit cap means something slightly different than beanie but those are the two I would use.

And those super loose beanies I just call dumb hipster hats.