• 50 results
Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

I was playing Call of Duty: World at War yesterday, and it got me thinking. When and what where the last good World War II games? World at War 2008,  Company of Heroes was 2006 and Battlestations Pacific was 2009. Can anyone else mention any other WWII games of note?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

I've been wanting a return to the WWII era for awhile. However, I want to replace the run and gun gameplay found in COD. I'd like a more serious story-based game. I think Brothers in Arms was pretty close.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

I want a decent Vietnam game. But apparently it's OK to show Germany getting their asses kicked by Allied forces in many, many games but you can't show the US 'losing' Vietnam.  Unless there's another good reason for them not bothering with the setting.

I use losing loosely because I don't really know the full story of what went on there. I just know it didn't turn out too well for the US.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Witzig

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

Think batllefield 1942 but unreal engine (I believe 2.5) and bullet psyhics. Look for Red Orchestra 2 August 30 for 39.99  

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Witzig said:

Think batllefield 1942 but unreal engine (I believe 2.5) and bullet psyhics. Look for Red Orchestra 2 August 30 for 39.99  

QFT. I'm still playing the original and the Darkest Hour mod and it is easily one of the best WW2 games ever made. Maybe one of the best shooters ever. 
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BubbleBobble

The last really good WWII game was Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By mfpantst

I kinda think the brothers in arms games are the 'good' WW2 games.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lockwoodx

If it was a FPS, it wasn't a good WWII game.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akrid

MoH: Airborne still remains my favourite WWII shooter. 

Company of Heroes was also pretty great.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Witzig
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

@Witzig said:

QFT. I'm still playing the original and the Darkest Hour mod and it is easily one of the best WW2 games ever made. Maybe one of the best shooters ever. 

fuck ya i have 506 hours in that mod greastest mod ever. PM your steam if you want
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway was really excellent.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loose

I remember when WWII shooters were being made and people desperately wanted developers to stop making them.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

The Men of War games are some of the best RTS/RTT (also some of the best co-op gaming) ever made. The latest standalone - MoW: Assault Squad - came out earlier this year. (MoW: Vietnam is in the works.)

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is a great game, but it's like 3 years old now.

Red Orchestra 2 is out later this year.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake
@Jimbo said:

The Men of War games are some of the best RTS/RTT (also some of the best co-op gaming) ever made. The latest standalone - MoW: Assault Squad - came out earlier this year. (MoW: Vietnam is in the works.)

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is a great game, but it's like 3 years old now.

Red Orchestra 2 is out later this year.

Thanks I've been trying to decide whether I should get MoW
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jimbo

@Loose said:

I remember when WWII shooters were being made and people desperately wanted developers to stop making them.

It didn't help that they just all seemed to alternate between Normandy and Stalingrad.

ZedNotZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZedNotZee

Red Orchestra 2 is looking extremely amazing.   

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@natetodamax said:
Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway was really excellent.
agreed!
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hockeymask27

I always like the older call of duty's.(1-3)They made you feel like part of an army not James Bond. I use to just follow the ai in some of the battles to see how far I could get without shooting anyone myself.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By buzz_killington

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Agent47
@mfpantst: Aw you beat me to it.Yeah I was gonna say Hell's Highway.
Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Maluvin
@Ygg said:
I want a decent Vietnam game. But apparently it's OK to show Germany getting their asses kicked by Allied forces in many, many games but you can't show the US 'losing' Vietnam.  Unless there's another good reason for them not bothering with the setting. I use losing loosely because I don't really know the full story of what went on there. I just know it didn't turn out too well for the US.
Vietnam is tough to do from a development standpoint because there's not a lot of battles with distinctive settings to draw from compared to WW2 in Europe and not a ton of stand up battles verses patrolling and ambush situations which don't work for an entire game.  Designing a game around LRRPs in the jungle wouldn't be obviously engaging from a story perspective although it might make for an okay small multiplayer map.  The ambiguity of who was and wasn't a combatant in Vietnam also makes it tough verses Europe (at least based upon how most people perceive the German Army during that conflict).

Historically it could be argued that the US lost the war from at least two perspectives.  We obviously lost the war politically since the American public and politicians decided the war wasn't worth continuing to fight and the stated enemy was never finally defeated.  It was loss strategically since holding territory didn't really work well from a victory perspective and kill counts weren't really indicative of success verses any particular goals and didn't demoralize the enemy and if anything emboldened them especially with all of the civilian deaths that resulted from a war where it wasn't always clear who was and wasn't an aggressor and to what degree.

However,  from a tactical view the US military was actually pretty successful.  Although the kill counts weren't a great way to approach that war they do indicate that man-for-man the US by far decimated their adversary.  The lessons of that war also informed a lot of changes in how the US military operates.  Being appropriately mindful of the horror, tragedy, and issues of the current conflicts that combatants and civilians find themselves in today it's worth noting that compared with conflicts in the past the current conflicts are relatively low level and the causalities are less than what they would probably be without the lessons and technology that came from the Vietnam conflict. 
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Day of Defeat.

One of my top few games in history.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Call of Duty 2 and the Brothers in Arms games are the last good WWII shooters I remember.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust
World of Tanks has gotten a lot of buzz around the MMO circles.  I haven't tried it, but the videos I've watched on YouTube look pretty good for a WWII vehicle combat game.  Also, 2009's The Saboteur isn't supposed to be all that bad.  Giant Bomb gave it a 3/5 and it's tracked in the low to mid 70's according to Metacritic (for what that's worth).  I guess that would be more "average" than "good". 
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sirdesmond

@Akrid said:

MoH: Airborne still remains my favourite WWII shooter.

Airborne is an extremely under-rated game in my opinion. I had tons of fun with it and just blew right through it. It was the closest MoH ever came to replicating the old-timey goodness that was Allied Assault.

Recently though, other than World at War (which did have a solid singleplayer campaign), I can't think of many other than Company of Heroes (one of the best RTSs of all time).

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By shinigami420

@Ygg said:

I want a decent Vietnam game. But apparently it's OK to show Germany getting their asses kicked by Allied forces in many, many games but you can't show the US 'losing' Vietnam. Unless there's another good reason for them not bothering with the setting. I use losing loosely because I don't really know the full story of what went on there. I just know it didn't turn out too well for the US.

America attacked vietnam to stop North Vietnam got their asses kicked and killed 2.5 million civilians and then bailed

North Vietnam crushed South Vietnam and now they rule over vietnam so long story short America won

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aetheldod

The best one was is Medal of Honor : Allied Assault (as a WW2 style FPS) , the Wolfenstein games are awesome too

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laserbolts

So much love for hells highway in this thread. I'm honestly surprised considering I thought it was garbage compared to the first two brothers in arms games. Maybe I should give it another go? Got past the hospital level and I had enough at that point.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brothers in Arms:  Hell's Highway.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By valrog

I want a World War 2 game that isn't a First Person Shooter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Medal of Honor Allied Assault the MP was awesome people still play it to this day and it came out in 02 it's the only game IW made  that I ever liked and that's before they became IW.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Yanngc33

World at War was pretty great if you think of it as a standalone game and not a sequel to Modern Warfare

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Saboteur as far as singleplayer games go. Although it's not really a ww2 game in the traditional sense. Which is one of the reasons I love this game so damn much. Another very underappreciated ww2 game from this gen is also Velvet Assassin. Not great - but still ok I think - in the stealth-gameplay department, but with great atmosphere and a unique take on the theme.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Seppli

Necrophilia Tuesday!

Anyways, the last great WWII game I've played is, at least if the release date is the decisive factor, Battlefield 1943. I've since also played the original Company of Heroes, and intend to play Company of Heroes 2 eventually - Relic Entertainment makes phenomenal games. Other recent WWII games that have tempted me are Red Orchestra 2 and its stand-alone expansion Rising Storm.

There's good WWII games everywhere really, like turnbased strategy games (likely published by Paradox) or stuff like War Thunder and that super-successful Tank warfare game by Wargaming.net in the F2P arena.

I hope Battlefield takes another stab at the WWII scenario again, though overall I'd prefer yet another Vietnam-era game. A BF2142 successor would be cool too, albeit I've got no nostalgia for it, since I missed out on it back in the day.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Necrophilia Tuesday!

Fuck, I didn't see that. Tripple message deleter apparently did though. Anyway, I'm currently replaying Saboteur, so I was in the right mood for praising that game again.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By fattony12000

Doom. I mean, Quake.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jimmy_p
No Caption Provided

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best WW2 game to date in terms of realism is the red orchestra mod Darkest Hour. It's fantastic. Red Orchestra 2 went in the cod direction and away from realism and pretty much all the red orchestra players hated it.

29th server? :D

ColonelRick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ColonelRick

Red Orchestra 2 is looking extremely amazing.

RO2 is not for everyone though. It does NOT play like a CoD or a MoH would, even more so because most of the community has moved to more hardcore servers.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@loose said:

And I was pretty much right there, but now I would really go for a new one. Especially something with some tactics... so basically a new Brothers in Arms game.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlefield 1942 was the last i had any interest in.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By glots

Huh...I've played plenty of them, but I think I'll still go as far as Medal of Honor - Allied Assault (together with it's expansion Spearhead) to name my favourite WW2 game. Not sure if I'd value those two as much in my memories, if it wouldn't be for Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...oh and BF 1942 of course, when it comes to multiplayer.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Brother's in Arms: Hell's Highway was probably the best WW2 shooter I played and unfortunately there's not another one for this generation.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By supermonkey122

The 2009 Wolfenstien is pretty good even though you fight a lot of monsters and supernatural shit rather than Nazis.