the last of us 2 review?

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hey guys, anyone know wheather giantbomb will review the last of us 2 or not ? I know there are tons of review out there but I'm really a fan giantbomb's reviews what happened ? why there are much less reviews than before ? GB reviews reviews was one of the most important factor to know wheather i'm going to buy a game or not

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why they stopped reviewing gmaes ?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

Last I heard Brad once again decided to make things more difficult for himself and started playing the game on a harder difficulty so it might take him a little longer to finish it. I admire his stamina for continuing to do this with games, I've generally been close to putting narrative intensive games on Easy a few times because I just can't be bothered with spongy enemies etc.

Hopefully Brad does end up doing a review as I think he is a really good writer.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine there will be one eventually, he can take his time there's no rush... or is there.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame: sure there is no rush, I just love Giant bomb reviews and It feels bad for me that they only just had one review for entire 2020 until now, there are many good writers here Brad, jeff and so many others. I just miss giant bomb reviews

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity:

@humanity said:

Last I heard Brad once again decided to make things more difficult for himself and started playing the game on a harder difficulty so it might take him a little longer to finish it. I admire his stamina for continuing to do this with games, I've generally been close to putting narrative intensive games on Easy a few times because I just can't be bothered with spongy enemies etc.

Hopefully Brad does end up doing a review as I think he is a really good writer.

thank you, where he said that he will play it on a harder difficulty? because I remember ib their last podcast for tlou 2 he said he played it on hard ? I want to know if he decided to play it on survivor now ? can you pls tell where he said that ?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@popeye11: I believe he mentioned this in the previous Bombcast but it might have been the Hotspot I really am not sure. Probably the last Bombcast.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 9

Not to be a downer, but there was no Final Fantasy 7 Remake review either. Which was quite surprising to me. Just saying.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@av_gamer said:

Not to be a downer, but there was no Final Fantasy 7 Remake review either. Which was quite surprising to me. Just saying.

yeah for me too, Giant Bomb reviews are very good and professional I hope they keep writing reviews, The last of us 2, final fantasy 7 remake and ...

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

At this point if Brad want to do a boutique, farm raised, organic, field-to-table game review of the game - that's fine with me. I want to know what people thought, not necessarily buying advice.

There was a great podcast with Join Alanah Pearce (games media), Troy Baker (voice actor), Mike Bithell (game director), and Austin Wintory (game composer) last week about "Who are game reviews for these days?" https://playwatchlisten.libsyn.com/website

Voice actor Troy baker had the hottest take, "Modern game reviews are for game developers." Nobody on the podcast agreed with him, but they saw his line of logic. The Play Watch Listen podcast is good, worth a listen for sure.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: yeah I respect your opinion but for me specially giant bomb was an important source really and i'm sad they stopped reviewing games

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Reviews are just not a good use of resources, especially launch day reviews. The number of hours they have to put in vs. limited ad revenue these days.

I understand a one page summary review is the best way to get a feel for a game but they have discussed both games mentioned in this thread a fair amount on podcasts.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@popeye11 said:

why they stopped reviewing gmaes ?

Because slapping on a live stream to do a 45 min video within the first two hours is easier

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alternate: i couldn't watch quick look because of spoliers since If I want to play this game is for the story of the game but I listened to bombcast and brad didn't go into the details of different aspect of the game (tlou 2)

do you have any more information ? have they stop reviewing games ? i'm still waiting for brad review for tlou 2 , i'm mixed about this game and brad is honest in his reviews

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: yeah but I prefer old edition reviews, I hope they keep writing for us

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked reading their reviews, but they said they've decreased them because they spend a lot of time giving their thoughts on these games in the podcasts and in QuickLooks. I wish they did shorter review-type videos, if I'm truly interested in a game the Quick Looks are generally more than I want to see of it. I did like Jeff's review of it on CNET.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

QL on TLOU2 is spoiler free for the most part.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This thread feels like its 6 years old. They don't really review games here anymore.

That said, Brad playing TLOU2 on a harder difficulty is a good idea. The first TLOU on a harder difficulty was a far better game, adding a ton of tension that translated over to the reality that the characters are supposedly inflicted by. Made the whole experience a ton better, hoping the second game is the same.

Intradictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6: playing the second on hard felt really good, not ridiculously difficult but I felt like I had to actually use my gear in order to move forward rather than hoarding items and never actually using them

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s not impossible but it does seem really difficult to talk about this game critically without spoiling the plot. So they may or may not review the game outside of quick look and podcast impressions. Final Fantasy 7 remake was on the long side and it is possible no one finished it. And another consideration is the lockdown streams and unprecedented time have made it harder to make time for game review writing. Just like every thing else this year you might have to be patient things won’t go back to normal anywhere till everyone been vaccinated. No intention to be political or anything that’s the only way CBS is going let them back in the building. It’s pretty depressing but all these home streams has helped me deal. Hope it helps the rest of you too.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just curious, does anyone still care (or have ever cared) about their star system? I mean, would people still want a review if, in their videos like quick looks and what have you, they said somewhere in it something like 'if I were rate this game, I'd give it [fill in score]'? I don't know. I don't watch a lot of their stuff, but I'm wondering what others feel about that. Is it just the writing you enjoy? I mean, honestly, if it were me, I am totally fine with just hearing what they have to say about it rather than it put in writing. Not that I dislike the writing, I just find hearing what they have to say with their voice more fun, personal, and interesting.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krelmoon: someone in era said brad intends to write a review for tlou 2 but maybe it will be after spoiler cast of the game

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

Just curious, does anyone still care (or have ever cared) about their star system? I mean, would people still want a review if, in their videos like quick looks and what have you, they said somewhere in it something like 'if I were rate this game, I'd give it [fill in score]'? I don't know. I don't watch a lot of their stuff, but I'm wondering what others feel about that. Is it just the writing you enjoy? I mean, honestly, if it were me, I am totally fine with just hearing what they have to say about it rather than it put in writing. Not that I dislike the writing, I just find hearing what they have to say with their voice more fun, personal, and interesting.

Ostensibly writing is a talent, being concise is a talent, and being able to accurately convey why someone should care about a game is the reason reviewers of all sorts exist. Writing is the conventional medium for this, and for good reason, it allows for the reviewer to distill their brain noise into something interesting. A star system is a still further way to attract people into understanding why a trusted reviewer would feel a certain way.

When they tried a few "video reviews" they were just full of rambling incoherent brain noise, trying to work out how they felt real-time. It's a poor approximation of critical thought, and hopefully why they stopped doing them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6: Yes, though that was talking directly into a camera and not to another person with them like an actual conversation. Not saying I disagree with you though. The skill of writing at least is important. The views in them, while interesting, aren't always valuable in the 'oh, so this is why I should play it!' way since to me, everyone differs in opinion on just about everything, especially in the minute details. I don't have a go-to place for reviews since I never feel like anyone person lines up with how my end feelings of a game or film will be, but reading or hearing what they have to say it always a nice thing to consume as I like to hear the other side. I am not assuming what people like/dislike here, which is why I was asking, specifically about GiantBomb, do some people love the reviews, or would the star part injected in some other way be satisfying enough? I'm getting that, you at least liked the reviews, so there is an answer. Thanks for the reply. And I guess personally, I would like to see them back too in some way because like I said, I don't watch a lot of their stuff. I just mean generally I prefer listening to people talk amongst themselves about the thing instead of reading a sole thought on it.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

They just moved into there office give them some time .

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spankingaddict: yeah, no rush I was just worried because I thought they stopped reviewing games

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@north6: yeah writing is something else it really works better for me

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By north6

@ntm: Yeah, i did like their reviews, without naming names a few of the folks on staff are very talented at this. Plus, writing is a blast, I'd think that the act of writing the review would help in all aspects of the site, helping the person better convey their thoughts during a podcast as well. The review could simply be a byproduct of that act of wrapping their head around what they want to talk about on a podcast.

I do know that isn't likely to happen because the gang wants to hold the review process to one where they play a ton, if not all, of a game, and this is unfeasible in a lot of circumstances. I do genuinely think something along this approach of using writing as a way to collect your thoughts is a helpful way to approach the situation when it makes sense. Maybe there is space for a psuedo-review that is unscored and based on what the person played, when they don't feel comfortable assigning a score?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

@popeye11: I was inside joking, lol. They pretty much stopped writing reviews . I wouldn't be expecting it.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having tired of "mainstream" reviews I check gamecritics when I miss reading reviews. They don't have a Last of Us 2 review but they probably will at some time. Plus they do a pretty good job of uncovering games I haven't heard of.

If you need purchase recommendations I would probably check user reviews or videos that will be more abundant in the coming weeks.

GB tried doing review podcasts but I don't think it worked out for them. Writing and editing long form content is A LOT of work so I don't blame them if it's not something they enjoy.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Humanity

@ntm: Personally I would love to have them do more reviews and abandon scores entirely. I feel like sometimes a great deal of wonderful writing and critical thinking gets undermined at the end by a flat score. I like to hear what they think and why they thought it without the necessity to justify a number of stars. At this point I don’t think a lot of people are using reviews as buying advice as there are plenty of better ways to get that information. Even tuning into a livestream or simply watching some gameplay footage will speak volumes more whether this aligns with your tastes than the most cleverly worded prose.

While not a review per-se I recently listened to the Triple Click discussion on this game - a podcast featuring Jason Schreier, Kirk Hamilton and Maddie Myers. Maddie had reviewed this game for Polygon while both a Jason and Kirk where still making their way through it. There was a great juxtaposition if tastes as Jason was actively dismayed by a lot of what he played and for nearly everything he didn’t like Kirk had a great counter point for why he thought it actually worked. It was great to just see people express opinions.

popeye11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesquarepear: yeah true, however I wish they do reviews for big game like TLOU P2 cyperpunk 2077 and … it is sad for me if they really stopped writing reviews specially with these talented staff