The Last of Us Part 2 - In defense of the writing

• 49 results
doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

For me the characters were too inconsistent to what they were in the first game, bordering on character assassination, and the new ones introduced weren't very interesting as people. On top of that, every decision everyone makes feels so conceited, so contrived, so boneheaded to just move a ultimately very basic plot forward, and yeah I get that TloU is about the characters and not the overall "plot" per se, but you gotta give me something. It just feels like it meanders a lot as you get to the end, and kinda has nothing to actually say when you get down to it.

I'm not exactly surprised I disliked it, I was in the "please don't make a sequel to this" camp, I felt like doing so would just remove all the nuance, mystique and thoughtfulness of the perfect ending to the first. Turns out my concerns were, in fact, justified. The gameplay is not enough to carry this thing for me, where something like MGSV was able to carry the mostly bad story with its incredible (and still unmatched) stealth gameplay, TloU2 simply couldn't. Especially when you factor in that this game is roughly 7 hours too long.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Deathstriker

@doctordonkey: In hindsight, maybe they should've had different main characters, don't involve Ellie, Tommy, or Joel and just be set somewhere else in the world with different people, if there "had" to be a sequel. You're right, a sequel wasn't needed. It will move units because of TLAU1 but it'll be divisive and looked down up by many like the new Star Wars movies and Game of Thrones, in the long run this will hurt the game series and the HBO TV series that they were about to start.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@plan6 said:

Joel reminded me that he was a complete piece of shit to everyone but Ellie when he said “just say whatever speech you practiced and get this over with.” This girl is clearly a loved one of someone he murdered and he just doesn’t care. He would rather die than emotionally confront the things he has done.

Uhh, far be it from me to defend Joel as a person in general, but he saved this woman's life and then she attacked him and his brother was planning to beat him to death. Is he supposed to be sensitive to her feelings at this juncture?

Like even if you know you did something wrong it's still pretty hard to be open and caring towards someone who has clearly shown their intent to torture you to death 45 minutes after you saved their life. I think most of us would be a little snippy in that situation.