The Metagame: Ana vs. Ben!

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By babylonian

It's intern vs. editor, and things get absolutely ben-anas!

Two of the artiest art games ever are pitted against each other in a contest of artsiness! Do you think one of these two made a better case for their particular artgame? Let us know who you picked and why in the comments below! Gracias, homies!

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By babylonian

It's intern vs. editor, and things get absolutely ben-anas!

Two of the artiest art games ever are pitted against each other in a contest of artsiness! Do you think one of these two made a better case for their particular artgame? Let us know who you picked and why in the comments below! Gracias, homies!

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#2  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Braid vs Flower? Tough call for an art question.

Fortunately, it wasn't an art question but an elegance question. So now it's the elegance of a petal floating through the breeze to gentle music vs the elegance of a date-rapist hydrocephalic who constantly needs to reverse his clumsy-ass collisions with furballs so a blocky dinosaur can make fun of him. Sorry Ana. Though if we're just judging the arguments I'd say you both represented your games equally well (assuming Ana was making a case for an elegant narrative/presentation package.)

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

@Mento said:

Braid vs Flower? Tough call for an art question.

Fortunately, it wasn't an art question but an elegance question. So now it's the elegance of a petal floating through the breeze to gentle music vs the elegance of a date-rapist hydrocephalic who constantly needs to reverse his clumsy-ass collisions with furballs so a blocky dinosaur can make fun of him. Sorry Ana. Though if we're just judging the arguments I'd say you both represented your games equally well (assuming Ana was making a case for an elegant narrative/presentation package.)

Tim's just misunderstood.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

I think Ben took this one. Flower's a very good card for that question as well.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

games these days with there shootings and such, and young people these days, 10 miles in the snow barefoot back in my day.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

I really wish Vinny was arguing against Flower...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Another Ben episode. I hope he gets a game he has actually played this time.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lockwoodx

Ben got the automatic win here.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Oginam

Should add a wild card to the three topics. So you play 3 face up and one face down. If you eliminate the wild, the other player gets to eliminate 2 cards total instead of one. (So if the first player gets rid of the wild, the second player can get rid of two face up cards; if the second player gets rid of the wild, the first player can get rid of another face up card - since player one already eliminated one face up already.) Then, if it comes down to a face up and the wild, flip a coin. Heads for the face up and tails for the face down.

Could also add a betting/victory points mechanic if you always play more than one round (3 rounds is probably a good number). Draw 5 then bet cards (play them face down to a "pool") from your hand ( 0 - 4 cards, since one has to be the card you use). Winner gets the cards as victory points and each player draws back to 5 for the next round. The victory point cards stay face down and aren't returned to the deck. If its a tie, the cards stay in the pool for the next round. Winner is whoever has the most victory points at the end.

I like how you play it now. The board games side of me can't stand the game not being more complex, that's all.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nux

I think Ana won. But as a game Flower wins.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slaker117

Ben had the better card and the better argument. Sorry Ana. Though there would have been room to argue Braid's elegance though fucking ingenius gameplay design, Flower is more easy to see, surface level elegant.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Hizang

I think Ana has the better argument, but Flower is the winner.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee

Big Ben FTW.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

You guys need new cards.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By TwoLines

"ben-anas!"

Oh jeez.

Interns are often overkilled in these, but this one is pretty tough. I guess Flower wins?

I don't know.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By papercut

Ana wins.

And fuck you nick, that pun was worse than anything in dog football. Should be ashamed.

Klippinidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Klippinidas

Probably my favorite thing on this site right now. This should be some sort of main feature on the site. Keep it up, guys.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aetheldod

Ben wins this time .... sorry Ana ^^

Avatar image for bsodkernelpanic
BSODKernelPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BSODKernelPanic

I always like encouraging the young guns, and I thought Ben had it locked up.  However, Ana came back with her convincing portrayal of a seasoned player of both games and points about Braid's more unconventional approach versus Flowers "flight sim" to score the win. 

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Nate

Ben made the better argument for elegance.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BBQBram

I think Ben is right on this one. It's a matter of minimalism, Flower might do less unconventional things with the control scheme but that's the point, it's very intuitive and relaxed. Braid can be elegant too but only if you have the context for the gaming conventions that are flipped around in the first place. I guess they represent both sides of a spectrum, however Flower seems more elegant in the sense that you can truly grasp it's whole point and aesthetic in seconds.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By Little_Socrates
AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By AssInAss

I think Ana could have a stronger case for Braid's elegance in narrative, but she hadn't played the whole game so she couldn't bring up the ending which is elegant in how narrative mixed with gameplay and would be the perfect clincher for this argument. 

Ben made the better case for Flower.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By mosespippy

Flower is the more elegant game, Ana was the better debater. I could easily tell Ben hadn't played much of Flower. He was speaking in generalities which didn't really make the case for elegance.

fembotbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fembotbeck

I have to side with Ana.  While Flower was minimalistic perfection, it lacked the cerebral stimulation of Braid.  As she said, Flower is basically a pretty flight simulator while Braid challenged you to change your perceptions in general.  Narrative, art style, everything about Braid was elegantly executed, and Ana was right to point that out.