The Metagame with Nick and Matt: Round 1!

• 62 results
babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By babylonian

EVEN. MORE. INTERN CONTENT. HANDLE IT.

In this video, Kess and I try our hand at playing Local No. 12's The Metagame, a kickass debate-fostering card game given out at GDC 2011 this year. Essentially, the game is two piles of cards: Game Cards and Question Cards. Each Game Card has the name, stats and picture of a specific video game on it, while each Question Card poses an interesting game-related query (such as "Which game lets players express themselves more?" or "Which game should be put in a time capsule?"). You can see how this could get interesting!

So, after making up our own rules (by which I mean "stealing the 2-player ruleset Anthony Carboni created for Bytejacker"),, Matt and I tried our hand at a quick debate. The results...well, you be the judge! Tell us who you think won and why in the comments!

This is just the first of three rounds we filmed today, but depending on how you guys enjoy them, you could potentially see more of these in the future starring other Whiskey personalities. Get excited, homeskillets!

Oh, and as usual, thanks for watching! <333

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By babylonian

EVEN. MORE. INTERN CONTENT. HANDLE IT.

In this video, Kess and I try our hand at playing Local No. 12's The Metagame, a kickass debate-fostering card game given out at GDC 2011 this year. Essentially, the game is two piles of cards: Game Cards and Question Cards. Each Game Card has the name, stats and picture of a specific video game on it, while each Question Card poses an interesting game-related query (such as "Which game lets players express themselves more?" or "Which game should be put in a time capsule?"). You can see how this could get interesting!

So, after making up our own rules (by which I mean "stealing the 2-player ruleset Anthony Carboni created for Bytejacker"),, Matt and I tried our hand at a quick debate. The results...well, you be the judge! Tell us who you think won and why in the comments!

This is just the first of three rounds we filmed today, but depending on how you guys enjoy them, you could potentially see more of these in the future starring other Whiskey personalities. Get excited, homeskillets!

Oh, and as usual, thanks for watching! <333

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

Don't you guys have like a couple of weeks left or something? You really started pumping this shit out. Finding it hard to keep up.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Hot damn Kessler. Good argument.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LiquidSwords

This is truly the summer of the interns!

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By buzz_clik

This game looks great, but none of my mates are really into video games enough to know enough about various titles. A few of them are pretty much the dudes I play Halo/COD with, and as such I don't think they'd have any views on how Mario jumping through a painting into a new amazing world where he can fly seems akin to something you'd experience in a dream state.

Oh, and that was a very impressively delivered argument, Matthew. It was also wonderfully undermined by your hilariously (and deliciously) craptastic pun you rounded it off with.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with Matt that Mario is more of a dream-like experience.  Not sure if I'm supposed to "vote" here or on YouTube, so I shall do both.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

I accidentally got some of these at GDC. At the time I thought it was dumb (ok, I still kind of do), but in retrospect I wish that I had played a few rounds. It would have been cool to try my oratory skills and gaming knowledge against members of the industry.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By SerHulse
@buzz_clik: I feel the same, while most of my friends play games, everyone is shocked when I start dropping even the most basic video game trivia and knowledge,

Makes me long for friends that I can actually nerd out with for a bit, oh well.

Cool vid nonetheless.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Origina1Penguin

This would be a really fun thing to debate in the forums.

I think Kessler made a better argument, but it didn't change my mind. Super Mario 64 seems more like abstract fantasy than dream-like. The game, and universe, has elements of magic and spells as well as objects and environments that make no logical sense whereas dreams are usually grounded in reality with few elements that defy or bend the perception of realism. Minecraft presents many rules and visual representations of real world qualities that can be understood and accepted while at the same time providing just enough fantasy to make you question it. Dreams also provide little, if any, context as to how and why everything is happening around you. Minecraft provides no preconceived motivations and is very aimless (infinite even) in its own existence and limitations.

I think this one breaks down to what the individual will believe are the limits of a dream based on personal experience.

cabelhigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cabelhigh

Hot damn you guys! This looks awesome, and gets those video game brain juices flowing! Keep is up! 

Also, Kessler, you gave a great argument and I was with you from the beginning, but I gotta go with Nick after he explained his reasoning. Minecraft totally is like a dream now that I think about it....

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By landon

This is neat. I wish I had a deck.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Devoid

Metagame! Thought I wouldn't be seeing this again, let alone at Giant Bomb. Good job stealing Anthony's deck, Nick.

As for who won, I suppose it would depend on what kind of dreams you have. Personally I have more crazy, all over the place dreams like Mario 64 but I can see how building giant things out of whatever could be more someone else's "genre" of dreams.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Kessler totally won that.

I've had dreams where I'm in the castle from SM64, lol.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan

Wow, cool video. I think that Matt had a really well put together argument with Super Mario 64, and against a different game I might agree, but overall I'd have to agree with Nick - you really shape your world in Minecraft and have a great deal of aimless control, but (if you choose) there's still threats out there that can inspire fear and wariness in the player, which reminds me very much of my own dreams. So I vote for Minecraft. 

Looking forward to more of these.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dantey

I vote Minecraft.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chumm

Voting for Mario, excellent argument Matt.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

I have to say Kessler had the better argument.

This is a shame because at first I was totally thinking Minecraft too, but Kessler's argument sold me.

You didn't give very much argument for minecraft being like a dream- just kinda that it is haha (I'm paraphrasing you poorly I think, i apologize i'm tired). I would have said more along the lines of "the logic works in a dream like way. Things get broken down in a simplistic way in order to create other things- in much the same way things just happen in dreams and in the dream they make sense. And like a nightmare zombies pop out at night for no apparent reason other to terrorize you." =P

Since this is a vote on who won the debate and not what I would have picked- Ya, sorry Nick, I gotta go with Kessler. I felt he created a stronger argument.

Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sorrowsan

minecraft wins

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

I think Bodega delivered his argument better and was more cohesive, but I still think that Minecraft is more like a dream in the way that there is no concrete goal and you're free to shape the world in virtually any way you see fit.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By smitty86

So you have to flip a coin, to argue for a game, to settle a draw, to win a card battle, to eventually win a deck? Inception style gaming is here people.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

Super Mario 64 wins.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sirdesmond

I would have to say that Kessler had the better argument and that Super Mario 64 wins in my personal opinion. That games lonely and bizarre atmosphere always came across as being very dreamy to me.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Enns

Minecraft is more of a sim than it is dreamlike.

Compared to mario 64 anyway.

SWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SWD

I agree with nick, but i would like to add that minecraft also has a NIGHTMARE side to its dreamlike qualities. Every night in the game various awful monsters come from the darkness and attack you, and like a nightmare, they will come endlessly with no real purpose other than to hunt you.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By tebbit

Matt swayed me with his serpentine tongue. Gross.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By butano

I personally would have chosen Minecraft, but seriously, Kessler won. Props duder.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By Little_Socrates

@GunslingerPanda said:

I've had dreams where I'm in the castle from SM64, lol.

Same, which is why I feel a lot of difficulty arguing either way.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Levio

Minecraft would win if it weren't for the crafting system that forces you to hunt for ingredients and memorize recipes in a very methodical way.

I'm voting Mario.

Also a cameraman would help a lot.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By bacongames

Man I bet this game would be so fucking awesome at PAX in the following years.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would love to play this game, sadly I have no friends that could actually debate over video games.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By bcjohnnie

I think Kessler won this one. Nick really had no other options on what to throw, and I think Kessler sold the dreamlike points of SM64 perfectly in 1:30.

If I were Nick I would have taken a full-on Inception argument, focusing much more on how Minecraft allows the player to construct worlds strictly from imagination. Nothing about Minecraft's gameplay is dreamlike at all to me.

This is an awesome idea though, I really want to see more of these. I bet Gerstmann can throw dark in some game debating.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fattony12000
@Babylonian: YO NICK, droppin the Magic knowledge with the changes to the manaburn rule.

SICK.
MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By MEATBALL

Agree with Kessler, he also did a much, much better job constructing his argument on the fly.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By icicle7x3

Kessler gets the square!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By Castiel

Nick looks like Matt's thinner brother.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Grissefar

Matt Kessler

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By A_Dog

But Minecraft isn't a game!

Dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Dethfish

I would have initially chosen Minecraft as the more dream like game but I think Kessler's argument for Mario 64 might have changed my mind.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By J12088

Why is the BBC on those cards? o.0

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vexxan

This should be interesting...

lovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lovert

Minecraft. Definitely Minecraft.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tylea002

I'll join the chorus - Kessler's argument in this case was better, but Minecraft is still so obviously the right answer.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeeGee

Minecraft is nothing like a dream, I don't understand people who say it is. My dreams are fluid, strange locations and events, riding penguins and shit. Never do I dream that I am building a house, or mining iron.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Minecraft wins easily, it really simply is a more "dream-like" game, which isn't to say that it's better than Mario. It allows you to create a world, very much like dreams and you have no real objective. So yeah, motherfucking Minecraft.  
But yeah, Kessler did deliver a better argument.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Oni

@Tylea002 said:

I'll join the chorus - Kessler's argument in this case was better, but Minecraft is still so obviously the right answer.

This. Does that mean Kessler won?

dshban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dshban

This is cool as hell. More of these please!

admachina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By admachina

Mario 64 for sure

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sjupp

While I think Kessler made good points and conversed them in a better manor Nick's points are resonating better with my own opinions and therefore I choose to vote for Minecraft.

crimsonclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By crimsonclown

This should definitely be a feature with the Whiskey Media staff.