Posted by aorey (157 posts) -

Now, that title's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it fit the space, whereas my original title didn't.

I'm writing here on this blog because I'm trying to sort some thoughts out. I'm putting it up on the forums just so that at least one person can read it. I'm not looking for discussion, or anything like that, so please, continue lurking, or talk among yourselves, or whatever you'd like to do. I would just like to provide food for thought. For you, to look at my situation and my view on things, and how they apply to you. At one point earlier this year, I had a thousand people a day for about a week reading an article I wrote, but those days are no more. It was a nice feeling though, knowing that that many people read something I wrote, but I'm completely content with just you reading this. Anyway, onto the explanation of the overly-dramatic title.

After E3 2012, I felt this intense feeling of burnout. After Nintendo's press conference, I didn't want to play any game released this year. I was done. I looked at the games coming out in the future, including titles I loved like Halo 4, Tomb Raider, and Assassin's Creed III, and I decided that I just didn't care anymore. Since then, I haven't had the need to play any game made for my current gen consoles. However, I made a trip down to DC to the Art in Video Games exhibit, which was awesome. The line for the Flower demo made me feel all warm and toasty inside. I bought the Ultimate History of Video Games book while I was there, and have been reading it quite a bit since then. The history of this medium is just fascinating. It was so fascinating to me, I began playing a lot of older games. But as I have played, I've noticed a little something happening to me. Unless it's some sort of elaborate ruse that the end of the console cycle is pulling on me (likely), I'm gonna be pretty much done with most video games by the end of this year.

It's going hand in hand with this bigger life issue I've been having, which I won't get into details about here, but the big thing is that I'm traveling light now. I'll be going wherever I want to go, living wherever I want to live, from a backpack and a bag or two. The idea came after I had thrown away a bunch of useless crap that I kept around because, you know, someone gave it to me as a birthday present but I never used it. I just ignored the emotions tied to it, threw it away, and now I don't remember it anymore, and my room is roomy again. It was such a great feeling to have less material things owned, so great that I've created a plan to reduce it all down to the point where I don't need much more than the essentials. Even if I get a big room, I won't need much at all. This means no more TV, which means no more console gaming.

Now, again referring to the overly-dramatic title, this does not mean I'm done with gaming. I can, with the money from sold consoles and games, buy a 3DS(XL?) to throw in my backpack. I don't play a lot of portable games, but if Nintendo continues to do what they're doing, they'll have all the games I'll ever need to play: 2D and 3D Mario and Zelda, and Pokemon. That's what my gaming world will be reduced to. And you know what? I'm fine with that.

The target date for the completion of this transition will be December 2012-January 2013(Mayan-willing). So what will I do until then? Well, I'm going to be playing a lot of Zelda. One could say, every Zelda. Yes, I plan to at least attempt to play the CD-i ones. I do not intend to finish certain ones, like Zelda II and the CD-i games. But with most of them I will do my best. It's not like I'll have any of these fall blockbusters taking up my time, right? The reason I'm doing this is that I've always identified with Link. Probably because of the white, blonde, male, left-handedness characteristics we share. But beyond that, LoZ is a cherished franchise that one might say is the holiest of holies for video games. That status is debatable, but it always had that air about it. Each main installment is incredibly important and properly spaced between quite a few years, rather than Mario coming out every year, the whore. (They're all great games, but I wanted to make a joke, okay?) But I had never finished one of those games, though I think I got pretty far in Link's Awakening as a kid, which may have had this effect on me that I feel now whenever I talk highly of Zelda. Anyway, I had to fix that. So I'm playing through them all. I'm going to be part of a Child's Play 24 hour marathon later this year, which I'm scheduling to be my final run on Skyward Sword, completing my all-Zelda run, and if I beat it before the 24 hours finishes, my sleepless ass will go back to the CD-i Zeldas, for extra hilarity.

EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE, PRINCESS.

Also, guys, have you played the original Legend of Zelda? I'm nowhere near finishing it, but...AMAZING. Maybe it's more amazing when you're reading that history book I mentioned earlier at the same time. To think Nintendo created design choices (that we now take for granted in nearly every video game) back in 1987? It blows my mind.

After that, my gaming will happen on the 3DS with few games. The rest will be sold. My life will be moving on to other things, and video games will merely be a short spurt of entertainment now and then. That's kinda what they were supposed to be in the first place. Will I separate from the Bombcast? I dunno. They've really grown on me. I don't know if I'll be able to go through life without a weekly update on Vinny's Ham Radio stuff and Ryan's preference of mask to wear for bird watching, and I often play all their 2-hour videos over and over as background noise when I'm doing something else. I'll probably also keep up with Nintendo Voice Chat, but I'm pretty much done with the rest there is out there. On the blog I'm currently continuing to start up, I will be leaving reviews to a good friend of mine, while I'll be providing...well, I don't know yet. My initial idea is gaming culture humor. Don't know yet, gotta try some different things.

So yeah, I'm glad I typed all this out. Man, you guys should've seen the whole paragraphs I wrote and then erased as I went through all my thoughts. My stories about how I talked with Hector Sanchez about why there was no 360 exclusive character for MK9, how I got invited to E3, but couldn't go. Vodka, shaky interviews with Kim Swift, angry mothers, sleepless nights, CARS, Casey Hudson working for Epic Games, writing articles during work hours, meeting Greg Kasavin... and a lot of that was just this past year! (And would probably be better left unexplained :). ) A lot of me is tied to video games. But you know? I'm feeling totally okay with letting a lot of that go. I don't think of myself as throwing in the towel. I've just had my fill of what hardcore gaming has to offer. Maybe I'll come back in a few years, who knows? Anyway, I hope my ranting to myself at four in the morning entertained you for these last couple of minutes.

...I can't think of a good line to end this on. I'm a writer, dammit, I should have this down...

"Live long and you shall not pass." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

I dunno...

EDIT: Had to fix the GRAAAAVE error I made up there, where I said that LoZ was released in 83. It was released in 87. Thank you all for the replies and support! When I finish this annoying stretch of small naps and can begin feeling really awake, I shall reply. =)

#1 Edited by aorey (157 posts) -

Now, that title's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it fit the space, whereas my original title didn't.

I'm writing here on this blog because I'm trying to sort some thoughts out. I'm putting it up on the forums just so that at least one person can read it. I'm not looking for discussion, or anything like that, so please, continue lurking, or talk among yourselves, or whatever you'd like to do. I would just like to provide food for thought. For you, to look at my situation and my view on things, and how they apply to you. At one point earlier this year, I had a thousand people a day for about a week reading an article I wrote, but those days are no more. It was a nice feeling though, knowing that that many people read something I wrote, but I'm completely content with just you reading this. Anyway, onto the explanation of the overly-dramatic title.

After E3 2012, I felt this intense feeling of burnout. After Nintendo's press conference, I didn't want to play any game released this year. I was done. I looked at the games coming out in the future, including titles I loved like Halo 4, Tomb Raider, and Assassin's Creed III, and I decided that I just didn't care anymore. Since then, I haven't had the need to play any game made for my current gen consoles. However, I made a trip down to DC to the Art in Video Games exhibit, which was awesome. The line for the Flower demo made me feel all warm and toasty inside. I bought the Ultimate History of Video Games book while I was there, and have been reading it quite a bit since then. The history of this medium is just fascinating. It was so fascinating to me, I began playing a lot of older games. But as I have played, I've noticed a little something happening to me. Unless it's some sort of elaborate ruse that the end of the console cycle is pulling on me (likely), I'm gonna be pretty much done with most video games by the end of this year.

It's going hand in hand with this bigger life issue I've been having, which I won't get into details about here, but the big thing is that I'm traveling light now. I'll be going wherever I want to go, living wherever I want to live, from a backpack and a bag or two. The idea came after I had thrown away a bunch of useless crap that I kept around because, you know, someone gave it to me as a birthday present but I never used it. I just ignored the emotions tied to it, threw it away, and now I don't remember it anymore, and my room is roomy again. It was such a great feeling to have less material things owned, so great that I've created a plan to reduce it all down to the point where I don't need much more than the essentials. Even if I get a big room, I won't need much at all. This means no more TV, which means no more console gaming.

Now, again referring to the overly-dramatic title, this does not mean I'm done with gaming. I can, with the money from sold consoles and games, buy a 3DS(XL?) to throw in my backpack. I don't play a lot of portable games, but if Nintendo continues to do what they're doing, they'll have all the games I'll ever need to play: 2D and 3D Mario and Zelda, and Pokemon. That's what my gaming world will be reduced to. And you know what? I'm fine with that.

The target date for the completion of this transition will be December 2012-January 2013(Mayan-willing). So what will I do until then? Well, I'm going to be playing a lot of Zelda. One could say, every Zelda. Yes, I plan to at least attempt to play the CD-i ones. I do not intend to finish certain ones, like Zelda II and the CD-i games. But with most of them I will do my best. It's not like I'll have any of these fall blockbusters taking up my time, right? The reason I'm doing this is that I've always identified with Link. Probably because of the white, blonde, male, left-handedness characteristics we share. But beyond that, LoZ is a cherished franchise that one might say is the holiest of holies for video games. That status is debatable, but it always had that air about it. Each main installment is incredibly important and properly spaced between quite a few years, rather than Mario coming out every year, the whore. (They're all great games, but I wanted to make a joke, okay?) But I had never finished one of those games, though I think I got pretty far in Link's Awakening as a kid, which may have had this effect on me that I feel now whenever I talk highly of Zelda. Anyway, I had to fix that. So I'm playing through them all. I'm going to be part of a Child's Play 24 hour marathon later this year, which I'm scheduling to be my final run on Skyward Sword, completing my all-Zelda run, and if I beat it before the 24 hours finishes, my sleepless ass will go back to the CD-i Zeldas, for extra hilarity.

EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE, PRINCESS.

Also, guys, have you played the original Legend of Zelda? I'm nowhere near finishing it, but...AMAZING. Maybe it's more amazing when you're reading that history book I mentioned earlier at the same time. To think Nintendo created design choices (that we now take for granted in nearly every video game) back in 1987? It blows my mind.

After that, my gaming will happen on the 3DS with few games. The rest will be sold. My life will be moving on to other things, and video games will merely be a short spurt of entertainment now and then. That's kinda what they were supposed to be in the first place. Will I separate from the Bombcast? I dunno. They've really grown on me. I don't know if I'll be able to go through life without a weekly update on Vinny's Ham Radio stuff and Ryan's preference of mask to wear for bird watching, and I often play all their 2-hour videos over and over as background noise when I'm doing something else. I'll probably also keep up with Nintendo Voice Chat, but I'm pretty much done with the rest there is out there. On the blog I'm currently continuing to start up, I will be leaving reviews to a good friend of mine, while I'll be providing...well, I don't know yet. My initial idea is gaming culture humor. Don't know yet, gotta try some different things.

So yeah, I'm glad I typed all this out. Man, you guys should've seen the whole paragraphs I wrote and then erased as I went through all my thoughts. My stories about how I talked with Hector Sanchez about why there was no 360 exclusive character for MK9, how I got invited to E3, but couldn't go. Vodka, shaky interviews with Kim Swift, angry mothers, sleepless nights, CARS, Casey Hudson working for Epic Games, writing articles during work hours, meeting Greg Kasavin... and a lot of that was just this past year! (And would probably be better left unexplained :). ) A lot of me is tied to video games. But you know? I'm feeling totally okay with letting a lot of that go. I don't think of myself as throwing in the towel. I've just had my fill of what hardcore gaming has to offer. Maybe I'll come back in a few years, who knows? Anyway, I hope my ranting to myself at four in the morning entertained you for these last couple of minutes.

...I can't think of a good line to end this on. I'm a writer, dammit, I should have this down...

"Live long and you shall not pass." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

I dunno...

EDIT: Had to fix the GRAAAAVE error I made up there, where I said that LoZ was released in 83. It was released in 87. Thank you all for the replies and support! When I finish this annoying stretch of small naps and can begin feeling really awake, I shall reply. =)

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
#2 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5904 posts) -

I'm not going to read this right now, but I read about three seconds of stuff and have this to say: Wait until the next generation. You'll cool off, remember why you love games, and get some new exciting cool things to get you back in.

#3 Posted by Menito (26 posts) -

A "10 year console cycle" will do that to you. still using DX9 still burdened by hard drive less consoles and downloadable store policy that does more harm than good. only a year left and then well see the spirit of creativity/innovation back in the industry.

#4 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

Later.

#5 Posted by mderbs311 (69 posts) -

That was an insightful and great read man, good on you! Hopefully we don't lose one of the flock permanently, but you chose what you chose i suppose. I too found myself questioning my dedication to gaming and thought maybe I was burning out on it. Then I just realized I cant play games for hours on end ALL the time anymore, and that helped. Also, ive recently made the jump to gaming on the PC primarily and its interesting to see all the mods and stuff, kind of reinvigorated that youthful sense in a way! Anyhow, I dont know you, nor you me, but I wish you the best of luck on your journey from here on out and I will say that I admire your ability to release yoursefl from the shackles of material possesions. Ive done it myself to an extent and it can definitely be an exhilarating feeling! GLHB Duder!

#6 Posted by jewunit (1091 posts) -

It is nice to have extra space. I ended up selling a number of my consoles over the past few years because I was not using them. I have one console, one handheld, and my Mac on which to play games and I have more than enough to keep me busy. My time playing video games has decreased quite a bit over time though.

I should you should stick with the Bombcast. I don't read comics anymore, but I love listening to the Comicvine podcast. I rarely watch wrestling, but I can't wait to listen to the next Art of Wrestling podcast. If nothing else, you keep tabs on the video game scene and get some laughs and food for thought at the same time.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9809 posts) -

Honestly, you're pretty lucky to have this be a decision rather than just how things happened. I mean, sometimes life just takes you out of gaming. Taking care of a family. Doing work. Health issues. Different priorities.

But if I've learned anything over all these years of being a gamer, it's that you almost always come back. You need that time away sometimes. And when I say "almost always", that's just to cover for outlying cases. For me, I've always come back, and in seeing others face similar experiences over the years, they've always come back, too. Gaming has its ups and downs in our lives, like most things. So, don't stress too much about it, let it happen, and then give it another shot down the line. If you've liked gaming before, I'm pretty certain it'll click with you again.

Good luck with it, duder. :)

#8 Posted by clstirens (854 posts) -

I'm in a similar boat with you. I used to be excited for most new games, even if I knew I'd never get to play most of them. Now? Now I have lost most of my enthusiasm for all but a _relatively_ small collection.

It isn't even that I prefer small, indie games now. I'm just sorta jaded on the same ol' same ol' gameplay systems that we've had rammed into our heads lately. Sorta like sequelitus, but even the "new ips" are basically clones of other games with minor contrived differences.

Yet, despite this, I still love Battlefield 3 just as I have every.single.other.battlefield game.

I don't know, man, it looks like a lot of your decision comes down to your life style and choices, and I can't fault you at all either way.

#9 Edited by DoctorWelch (2817 posts) -

Here's the simple solution to everyone's problems with burning out on this console generation. ONLY PLAY GAMES YOU WANT TO PLAY! That's it. It's that simple.

About 3 years ago I realized that no matter what I was going to do in life, it was going to involve games. So for the next two years I basically played every major release you can think of, including all the major releases from earlier in this generation. Over those two years I truly enveloped myself in gaming like I never did before. I have played games since the NES, but I never took the time to truly dissect them and learn about the industry and games I love. Being 21, I would in no way call myself an expert on the history of gaming, at least not anywhere close to the dudes here at GB are, but I would say I know more than the average person who plays games.

More to the point though, I feel that I am thoroughly versed in this generation. I've played almost all of the good games, a ton of the mediocre games, and even a few terrible games. At a point though, I had to realize I wasn't getting anything from playing the games I didn't like. There was a time at the start of those two years when playing through a terrible game would have been a learning experience, but I've reached the point where I feel like I can talk intelligently about games. I can tell why I think a game is good or bad, why I liked or didn't like it, if I think you should buy it or not, and any other number of things. That was pretty much my goal, and I think I've accomplished it more or less.

In the last year, I realized I no longer "needed" to play every game. I think it sort of hit me while I was play L.A. Noire. I suddenly realized not only was I getting nothing out of playing it, but I didn't really like it either. It was basically the point where I decided I'm only going to play games I really have a desire to play. Since then I think I've played (other than for review purposes) Gears 3, Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, Dark Souls, and that's pretty much it for new releases. This is coming from someone who wants to be a game critic, not necessarily as a paid job, but as a person who can intelligently converse about games in deep ways.

In conclusion, I feel like there are a lot of people who play games that feel almost like they have a responsibility to play everything. Like if they don't play everything they will be missing out. I say stop with that attitude. If you're playing games for the sole purpose of entertainment. Play the shit you want to play, and if nothing new is coming out that interests you, well than I can guarantee you there's games you probably own that you'd love and still haven't gotten around to playing. Dive deep into Street Fighter, Starcraft, or DOTA. Go back and play all the Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, or Atlas games. Have you played ever Mega Man, Mario, Zelda (like you said), Metroid, Doom, Halo, Half-Life? There is no reason to just give up on a medium you seem to like so much. You have no responsibility to play games, just play the awesome ones you really want to play. It's not like it has to be all or nothing.

THERE"S SO MANY AMAZING GAMES OUT THERE< I"M EVEN HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY TO TYPE MY SYMBOLS! GO OUT AND PLAY THEM DAMMIT!

#10 Posted by Aegon (7236 posts) -

I didn't read the post, but a lot of gamers go through a period where they just don't effing wanna play games. Sometimes these periods are long and other times they're short, but the itch for some more gaming usually comes back.

#11 Posted by IkariNoTekken (993 posts) -
"I'll be going wherever I want to go, living wherever I want to live, from a backpack and a bag or two."

The life of a drifter is something I've dreamt about for a long, long time and it sounds like that's the sort of thing you' re planning to do.

Good on you, but be careful and just make sure you're set for it. The idea of jumping into the wild is a fantastic one but reality bites. You've got to be dedicated to living that way or you'll end up without a job, home, money, food... The world is a pretty cruel place mate, so you've got to have a head start with a good load of cash and some knowledge of the situation, for example; a lot of employers won't employ people without a permanent home address, how can you work around that if you're simply living out of a backpack.

Not having a go at ya, I went through a whole 'I'm become a drifter, selling everything and leaving to find my own way in the world' phase a while back but quickly realised I wasn't set up for it. The dream is still alive though so maybe one day. All I;m saying is make sure you know exactly what you are getting into. If that's what you have planned then good luck. :)

As for the gaming side, I'm in pretty much the same position, since the start of this year I've played barely anything. Not yet ready to give up on it completely though.

#12 Posted by falserelic (5770 posts) -

Its a phase you'll come out of it.

#13 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Hopefully it's a phase. Games are awesome but too much and it can sort of "bore" you.

#14 Posted by MEATBALL (4231 posts) -

Dude is becoming a hitchhiking serial killer, I read between the lines.

#15 Posted by falserelic (5770 posts) -

@zyn said:

@falserelic said:

Hopefully it's a phase. Games are awesome but too much and it can sort of "bore" you.

For me there's just haven't really been alot games that interest me this year. The ones I did bought were mostly boring or a disappointment. I miss the old ps2 days I played alot of cool games on that console. Alot of those games were fun and original. Nowadays alot of games feel familiar with each other.

#16 Posted by zyn (2765 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@zyn said:

@falserelic said:

For me there's just haven't really been alot games that interest me this year. The ones I did bought were mostly boring or a disappointment. I miss the old ps2 days I played alot of cool games on that console. Alot of those games were fun and original. Nowadays alot of games feel familiar with each other.

Yeah, the PS2 era is probably the best era in gaming, for me.

#17 Posted by theguy (824 posts) -

You sound like the guy from "Into the Wild". I recommend that movie to everyone.

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (4168 posts) -

Can I have your stuff?

#19 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

It's called growing up

#20 Posted by impartialgecko (1863 posts) -

You should play Saints Row the Third.

#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -

Eddie Murphy knows.

#22 Posted by von_wemberg (194 posts) -

@theguy said:

You sound like the guy from "Into the Wild". I recommend that movie to everyone.

Yes! I second that!

I'm a bit jealous, "I'll be going wherever I want to go, living wherever I want to live, from a backpack and a bag or two." makes me want to go hitchhiking with a backpack again. Summertime... it's probably doable. But, I hope everything goes well on your travels! It would be interesting to read your thoughts, I hope you'll write something.

#23 Posted by CaLe (4755 posts) -

You threw away some stuff and so decided to become a hippy? Sounds childish to me.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

@MEATBALL said:

Dude is becoming a hitchhiking serial killer

Achievement unlocked.

#25 Posted by Kill (339 posts) -

I'm 23 now and starting to feel the end coming. All of my close friends have all but quit gaming (no logging into Steam, Xbox Live, etc in over a year) and don't want to hear me talk about it. It bores them. Not many games interest me and I struggle to get more than 2 hours into a game, even AAA titles. I mostly play through old favourites once a year for the nostalgia.

Honestly, I spend more time on Giant Bomb listening to the Bombers talk about games than I do playing them!

Take a break and maybe you'll come back. If not, you'll gravitate towards other interests. Can't stop time passing and your changing as a person.

#26 Posted by aorey (157 posts) -

Oh, wow, hey everyone! Okay, clearly I need to explain a bit more about my situation, and it'll probably say less about the state of video games and more about the economy. But first, let me reply to some people. To those that I don't reply to directly, I appreciate your support, and I have absolutely considered that I would just begin gaming later. I'm just trying to analyze why I'm having this crash now, and whether that's the fault of video games or outside influences.

@jewunit: They get off topic quite a bit, and the last few years I've been living in a place with no one I really knew, and I never let anyone get close to me, so listening to these guys really helped me get through it. It'd be weird to just stop. But this iPod I've got is about to die, I don't currently have the money to replace it, and by the time of the next Big Live Live Show, my membership will expire, which means no more Ripper, no more Dave Fortress, no more Drew goes to North Korea. That's pretty much all I come here for. The occasional quick look is good, and I do enjoy the Worth Reading articles. Yeah, I don't think it's likely that I'll leave Giant Bomb, even if I left video games altogether.

@TruthTellah: I guess it didn't occur to me at 4 in the morning, but "end" means a long time of not playing games. Like 60 years, if I don't get hit by a truck or something. It would be crazy if I never came back. I do feel like I'll be gone for quite a few years, to the point that I might jump back in and find a bunch of new franchises for the next gen at reduced prices and not know what's good and what isn't. Unless I'm listening to the Bombcast and remember which is which. But even if I jump back in, the point I think I was trying to get at (I was really tired at the time of writing this article, and I clearly have not told this story the best way I could) was that I would never be able to get back in to the point that I once was, where I was looking to get into the industry. I was playing all sorts of games, getting codes for games and immediately playing after to get reviews done, buying multiple gaming paper magazines just so I could do something game-related while on the toilet. Even if I come back, I will have a much more well rounded life and will not be nearly as willing to donate so much of my time and money to the industry. Especially if certain things about video games stay the same, like the $60 price point stuck to nearly all new releases.

@DoctorWelch: A lot of what you said sounds very similar to what I did. The difference for me that it was five years of trying to play every game because we had a blog we were trying to make successful. It's not like this blog failed either. Our work is on there now, so when we apply for writing jobs, we have years of work to look at, and it got us into another site which gets us the occasional free code for review, trips to E3, and all that. I did have that strange revelation you had about playing the games you want to play a month ago. The thing is, it's boiled down to very few games. Those games that I mentioned I was excited for? Halo 4, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed III? Of those, I would maybe want to play the occasional Halo 4 deathmatch at a friend's house. And that's the most I would want out of a lot of games out there, and of those coming in our future.

This is also out of need, as well as want. Gaming as a 20 year old, renting out a tiny room and working a part time job, with two debt collectors looking for you (which is a part I should've probably mentioned :P), money is short, and even if I had the insane drive to play video games that I had a few years ago, on my budget I've just deemed this hobby not important enough, which further reinforces the idea that I'll be back once I'm doing better at, you know, life.

@IkariNoTekken: Oh dear, I'm afraid I've created the wrong idea of what I'm doing. I do have a similar dream of actually living out of my backpack, but that's plan B or C in my list of plans. Right now, Plan A is moving to my old home town and trying to room with a few friends of mine (the problem here is I'm counting on us being friends despite us being separated during crucial years of our life that define us. So we may hate each other). The town also has a awfully bad unemployment rate, so I may be looking for a job with a permanent address in this plan A, but unless a year as a "Sandwich Artist" is a long sought-after qualification, my future in this town isn't looking super bright. My next plan is to move anywhere, my third plan being move back in with parents (fuuuuuuuuuuu). When I said "live out of my backpack and a bag or two," I meant that that is all the material possessions I'd have. Some gadgets and books in my backpack, and lots of clothes in my bag(s). I could get a room, but I would rather not buy much more than what I need to fill that room. The idea of living without a permanent home, though intimidating, is absolutely something I think about, but I'm not nearly prepared for such an undertaking. Not yet anyway. :)

@MEATBALL: Ignore him. Also ignore any preconceived notions you have about haggard gamer hitchhikers on the side of the road. The knife is for cutting my food. Yes, it needs to be that big.

@Kidavenger: If it takes the slightest amount of effort for me to get it to you, nope. Even if you came here, I threw away a lot of my stuff already. What's left isn't necessarily desirable. I don't even have a bed, I sleep on the floor. What's left that I'm getting rid of is stuff that I plan on selling at shops, like keyboards, tv's, and dusty consoles, and then there's the garbage. Nothing anyone would want.

@adam1808: I almost replied to this seriously, then I realized halfway through replying and began laughing. +1

#27 Posted by SmilingPig (1370 posts) -

I did not read the post but I completely agree.

#28 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

What is your situation in life (career, financial, etc.) that you can afford to travel around with just a couple of bags?

#29 Posted by aorey (157 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: +1 to you as well.

@CaLe: Okay, buddeh.

@Kill: Thanks, the thing is that I have found that I can write reasonably well, and that's what I want to do and that's what I know I'm good at. I've played a lot of video games and played a ton of music, performed for people, played sports, and all sorts of other activities, but writing is what has gotten me most to all of my few successes in past years. With an ever-shrinking wallet, the rest take a lot out of me without much of anything coming back. Gaming used to do it a lot for me, back in the last generation with Shadow of the Colossus, Viewtiful Joe, and others that had a hand in shaping who I am today, but not anymore, so since this love affair seems to be going only one way, I'm eliminating it for the time being so that I can survive. As for other activities, I am giving my musical instruments away, but if the Plan A that I mentioned above works out, I've been accepted into two bands there that have performed quite a bit. I'm giving them my instruments for them to own and use, and they will be used for the band in general. Maybe I'll play them, maybe I won't. I'll still jam and perform, I just won't own any of the instruments or equipment. I'll just have my musical ability.

#30 Posted by aorey (157 posts) -

@Napalm: I've got almost nothing to lose at this point. I have an unused ticket that I payed for when I saved up to go to E3, but never did go. I'd use that to get to Plan A's destination. If that didn't work, I have a friend of mine moving somewhere a couple months after that, and so I'd go with him up there. It'd go like that. If I had to reduce it down to just my backpack to do the hitchhiking thing if I felt that was necessary, I could do it. You'd be amazed at how much money you can make in a week with no job and no rent. "Donating" blood, doing a few chores for people. If I ever got stuck in a bad situation, I could figure a way out. I am also incredibly thankful to have a few loving friends that, even if they didn't enjoy living with me, would help me out if I ever got stuck in a real bad situation, and I pray I never have to ask that favor of someone. It's a lot to ask, and it would weigh heavy on my mind.

#31 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

You'll get excited about the next generation of games. In the mean time go read a book or go out. Games aren't everything you know.

#32 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1192 posts) -

I'm currently stuck in a rut as well... I keep telling myself I want to play games but I just don't anymore. I talk a lot about it and listen to it but never really coming back to play much. I even had a discussion with my friend who is in the same situation and we both came up with either: a) We are just growing up with less time in our hands b) The current gen consoles has been around for way too long. We think it's both. My friend also noticed that when I do game it's always either Forza 4 or Gran Turismo 5. Cars is my hobby so it's not going away.

Currently I'm in the process of finishing all my partially finished games (Steam games as well :P) and I'm gonna pack it in after it's all done. I'll still listen to video gaming podcasts and all.

#33 Posted by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -

You can play games that came out in the past.

Giant Bomb has 35,878 titles in it's database. Play some old stuff, play some cheap stuff, play some stuff you haven't played for a couple of years and then hit up the 'next gen' when it comes around.

#34 Posted by Vinny_Says (5914 posts) -

You'll miss your nice video game consoles when you're sucking on guys dicks behind the 7eleven so you can buy yourself a sandwich :p

Making a big deal out of not playing games anymore is ridiculous. Interests and hobbies change as you grow; don't go blaming the hobbies, just accept that you want to do other things now.

#35 Posted by Hizang (9358 posts) -

Great read, very well written. All I can say is wait till next years E3, when all the games you want get announced.

#36 Posted by aorey (157 posts) -

@Phatmac: It's a fact I've ignored for much longer than I should've.

@IrrelevantJohn: Yeah, life gets in the way. I actually have a lot of time on my hands, just part of it is that I can't afford to game much anymore and another part of it is that I don't want to. I should probably go back and finish games I haven't yet for these consoles.

@Fattony12000: I am playing a lot of old stuff. There are so many games I never got to. Along with Zelda, I've never touched a Metroid game, barely played any Final Fantasy, and many others. I'm just trying to play what I want until the end of year, at which point I just plan on stopping. Just 'cause I want to.

@Vinny_Says: ...That's not what Vinny would say...

@Hizang: Thanks! The thing is even games that I could imagine being announced next year wouldn't excite me. I have no interest in Half Life 3, Portal 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite, Mario Galaxy 3, any of it. I can't say the same for new IP's, since I have no idea what they are, but from what I can see for the future, I'm just gonna be done for a while.

I will say that I cannot predict what I'll do if they announce a new Zelda.

#37 Posted by TheHumanDove (2520 posts) -

Extremes are my kinda reading material.

#38 Edited by SuperPickle (31 posts) -

Do not trip on the rug on the way out the door of the "gamer time house"

That is the same thing I told a dude I do not hang out with anymore because he is boring as fuck beer drinking drug addict amish hippie now that is about as fun as a brick. with a annoying clingy ass girlfriend that keeps coming with him over to my house and wont shut the fuck up when I am playing something.

#39 Posted by Darkstorn (481 posts) -

I'm going through somewhat of a transitional period too, now that I'm out of college and facing a world that seems increasingly difficult to navigate. Best of luck in your travels, homie.