The problem with the future

BrandonPckrfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BrandonPckrfn

A lot of people have been talking about going to all digital game sales, streaming movies, basically doing everything and anything over the internet. Awesome, I can't wait for it. However, I have a huge problem with this. Internet usage caps by ISP's.

Today I tried getting on the pc to check my email as I do every morning when I get a message from Comcast saying that I have breached my contract and my internet has been shut off. WTF. Call them and they tell me that I have gone over the 250 gig usage cap and have therefore breached the contract. Well fuck me, so after an hour of cajoling them that I didn't even know there was a cap on it they turn it back on and say that if I do it again they will turn it off AND I will have to pay for the rest of the contract for internet I cant use.

I went to check for another ISP immediately but nothing but satellite is available. I checked out the stats on Comcast, between my wife and I we have used about 200 gigs of up and download bandwidth every month since we got Comcast.

Is Comcast the only company that does this? How can they get away with it in this day and age? How are we going to d/l 5-6 gig games and not go over this.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Lucky asshole. My ISP only gives me 50GB...

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Yeah I know right, how am I supposed to download all these games when I'm restricted to 20GB of internet a month... Seriously, this is the unfortunate reality for much of the rest of the world, consider yourself lucky.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hoossy

the problem with the future...is that it is always in the future

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I'm on a 100/100mbit unlimited connection for $8 a month. I welcome ze future with open arms (though I still love them boxes).

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By tourgen

I just downloaded some DLC from Steam for Drakensang and it was over 6GB.  I feel your pain.

Even "unlimited" plans have caps.  They just don't tell you what the cap is until you go over and they either throttle your connect speeds or just cut you off.  All the major providers do it here in the USA.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b575d47c632
deactivated-58b575d47c632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn. If I hit a cap that'll suck.

This will make us buy more discs then won't it? If we buy the discs so we don't go over the cap then the brick-and-mortars stay alive right? and the future is forestalled