Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Chyro
Hold Shoot Button to Win It.

Spoilers Below for Borderlands, Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Batman AA and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

As I recently finished Borderlands I couldn't help but feel that the end boss detracted from the overall experience.  I'm not talking about the story here, which is another topic entirely.  But just the final boss.  As I sat there for 15 minutes left clicking like crazy.  I found I was just severely bored.   Excellent games seem to be ending on a low note lately.

Hint - Depress Right Trigger

I'm not expecting Demon's Souls level of difficulty here.  But a game forcing me to change tactics would be a good start.  Most games lately have boiled down to just spamming the shoot button.  Borderlands, Gears of War 2 and Halo 3 are prime examples of this.  No twitch skill needed.  No thought needed.  Just the simple ability to shoot X monster  while you fly around in a helicopter or dodge needlessly even though it's almost impossible for the boss to kill you.  And it's not just first person shooters that have fallen into this trap.  In Batman Arkham Asylum you barely interact with the final boss at all.

Guy looks pretty bad ass.  Good thing you hardly have to fight him.

It's not all about difficulty though.   It's also about the mood the game sets and how it leads up to the final conflict.   Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a excellent example of this.  As you sit there in last stand and Price slides his pistol over to you I felt instant exhilaration.  This is one of the easiest "end bosses" in gaming history.  Yet I didn't feel like I was cheated whatsoever.  

He shot Gaz!?  Honor be damned.  Quick, shoot him while he's not looking.

Borderlands, Batman AA and Gears of War 2 are not terrible games.  They deserve all those accolades and awards.   I just felt no sense of accomplishment after beating them.  Are these endings a product of rushed development?  The developers catering to the lowest common denominator?  Lack of inspiration after grueling hours of non stop polish and testing?  A combination of all of the above?   Either way, this trend is irritating. 

Note:  I have a distinct lack of funds at the moment so there is a bunch of games I have yet to play.  So there is probably quite a few games that don't fall under this category.
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Chyro

Spoilers Below for Borderlands, Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Batman AA and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

As I recently finished Borderlands I couldn't help but feel that the end boss detracted from the overall experience.  I'm not talking about the story here, which is another topic entirely.  But just the final boss.  As I sat there for 15 minutes left clicking like crazy.  I found I was just severely bored.   Excellent games seem to be ending on a low note lately.

I'm not expecting Demon's Souls level of difficulty here.  But a game forcing me to change tactics would be a good start.  Most games lately have boiled down to just spamming the shoot button.  Borderlands, Gears of War 2 and Halo 3 are prime examples of this.  No twitch skill needed.  No thought needed.  Just the simple ability to shoot X monster  while you fly around in a helicopter or dodge needlessly even though it's almost impossible for the boss to kill you.  And it's not just first person shooters that have fallen into this trap.  In Batman Arkham Asylum you barely interact with the final boss at all.

It's not all about difficulty though.   It's also about the mood the game sets and how it leads up to the final conflict.   Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a excellent example of this.  As you sit there in last stand and Price slides his pistol over to you I felt instant exhilaration.  This is one of the easiest "end bosses" in gaming history.  Yet I didn't feel like I was cheated whatsoever.  

Borderlands, Batman AA and Gears of War 2 are not terrible games.  They deserve all those accolades and awards.   I just felt no sense of accomplishment after beating them.  Are these endings a product of rushed development?  The developers catering to the lowest common denominator?  Lack of inspiration after grueling hours of non stop polish and testing?  A combination of all of the above?   Either way, this trend is irritating. 

Note:  I have a distinct lack of funds at the moment so there is a bunch of games I have yet to play.  So there is probably quite a few games that don't fall under this category.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By demontium

Go play NSMBW's final boss and all your worries will be destroyed. 

(welcome to giantbomb, you are a good poster so I am following your blog)

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

I mostly agree with this, but why is Halo 3 on here?  The only thing in that game I'd consider bosses are Scarabs, and none of them are the "final boss".  Do you mean the guilty spark?  Once again something I'd barely consider a boss.  I think the last level (Warthog sequence) is totally exhilarating and fun. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Barrock

I actually played Gears of War 2 for the first time this past week. I was like "Oh man riding this thing is pretty epic." and then it got huge and I was like "OH MAN THIS IS GOING TO BE UBER EPIC" and I pressed the right trigger and the credits rolled and I cried myself to sleep.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chyro
@EvilTwin said:

" I mostly agree with this, but why is Halo 3 on here?  The only thing in that game I'd consider bosses are Scarabs, and none of them are the "final boss".  Do you mean the guilty spark?  Once again something I'd barely consider a boss.  I think the last level (Warthog sequence) is totally exhilarating and fun.  "

Yeah Guilty Spark.  I agree I really enjoyed the Warthog part.  But it would be nice if they switch it up a bit rather then have basically the same sort of ending that Halo 1 had.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Slippy

It can go two ways - a huge budget, lots of development time and too much tuning can result in something which is completely overblown. Spoilers ahead..  Metal Gear Solid 4 is a good example of this. The impact of the ending deteriorated everytime Kojima added an extra scene. He just didn't know when to stop. If he had left it at Snake commiting suicide, then it would have been a much much better game. It would have possessed some real emotion. Actually, this might just be me, but I would have prefered it if they cut out a lot of the filler and exposition even if it meant the game was only 7 hours long.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
@Chyro: I suppose my reasons for considering one thing a boss and another not are kind of arbitrary.  So if we're considering guilty spark a boss, then I'd agree with you.  Still though, at least it ended on a high note, albeit a recycled one.  We can't say as much for the other games on your list. 
darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkstorn

Metal Gear Solid 4 > all in terms of bosses.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By JB16

Your post just reminded me of Kameo, one of my favorite 360 launch games. Each boss required a special technique to kill, ahh good times.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011

Halo 3 didn't have a final boss, the final level was a Warthog escape (which was awesome). The Scarabs were kinda like bosses but they were more to the middle of the game than the end.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Slippy
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Darkstorn said:
" Metal Gear Solid 4 > all in terms of bosses. "
Two brothers, duke it out till the end. Only one man can be the winner. "

Now graft 30 minutes of cutscene onto it and we're set!
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chyro
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Darkstorn said:
I don't have a PS3 yet.  But I plan on picking up MGS 4 right when I get my Tripple in January.  Had to stop myself from reading the above spoiler. 
Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alphonzo

The Joker fight was pretty disappointing.  Dodge 3-hit combo, hit him a bunch, fight dudes, pull him down, repeat. It was like a checklist that you had to go through 4 times

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Chyro said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @Darkstorn said:
I don't have a PS3 yet.  But I plan on picking up MGS 4 right when I get my Tripple in January.  Had to stop myself from reading the above spoiler.  "
Not really spoilers, but I'll put a warning tag on it.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Red

A good ending can greatly influence the overall experience you had with a game, but having a good ending is tricky. 

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chyro
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Chyro said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @Darkstorn said:
I don't have a PS3 yet.  But I plan on picking up MGS 4 right when I get my Tripple in January.  Had to stop myself from reading the above spoiler.  "
Not really spoilers, but I'll put a warning tag on it. "
Yeah.  My fault actually.  As I meant to quote Slippy.  Truthfully the only Metal Gear Solid game I have played was the first one for PSX.  And although the fight on top of Metal Gear was kind of annoying.  The chase scene in the tunnels was pretty cool.
GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GregariousGreg

My problem with boss fights has always been when they basically have you do the same thing over again for like three times or something before the boss dies.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By chstupid

AC 2's boss fight was really lame.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

The one boss fight that comes to mind in detracting from the overall quality of the game is the fight with Xemnas at the end of Kingdom Hearts II.  The game isn't particularly difficult for the most part, but Jesus.  Xemnas has four or five completely different forms, and they're all boss fights in and of themselves.  The whole thing drags on for far longer than it should, particularly when they throw a flying segment in for no apparent reason.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chyro
@chstupid said:
" AC 2's boss fight was really lame. "
Another game I have yet to play.  Though I never really enjoyed the first AC.  So I will probably skip this game all together.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By DanielJW

Never really thought about it like that. I suppose Modern Warfare's boss fight was really... not a boss fight. But it was still awesome. It felt far better than a lot of actual fight fights do.  

Don't know if you've played Brutal Legend, but I loved the final boss fight and the final cutscene involving the boss. It was incredible.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chyro
@DanielJW said:

" Never really thought about it like that. I suppose Modern Warfare's boss fight was really... not a boss fight. But it was still awesome. It felt far better than a lot of actual fight fights do.  

Don't know if you've played it, but I loved the final boss fight and the final cutscene involving the boss. It was incredible. "

And that's what I mean.  The game doesn't have to have some epic fight.  As long as the ending "boss" or just the end in general is put together well it makes all the difference.

Simple.  Yet effective.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slippy

Speaking of Modern Warfare, I really enjoyed MW2's final boss fight against     

General Shepherd. Like MW before it, it's not strictly a boss fight, but it still felt really satisfying to nail that fucker between the eyes with a throwing knife. So it's just a QTE sequence, it was still awesome. 
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chyro
@Slippy said:
" Speaking of Modern Warfare, I really enjoyed MW2's final boss fight against     

"
I can't say I enjoyed it as much as CoD 4.  But it was quite a bit more tense when
Still felt pretty good though.
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chstupid
@Chyro said:
" @chstupid said:
Another game I have yet to play.  Though I never really enjoyed the first AC.  So I will probably skip this game all together. "

You should play it. It's really good
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Skald

inFamous, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted 2, Condemned 2. 
Very... strange last boss-things.

And MW2 had the stupidest last boss-thing ever. Seriously.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You guys forgot Fable 2. The "Final Boss battle" consists entirely of holding one button and pressing another. So... anti-climactic.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Belonpopo
@demontium:
Boss fights are sadly dying.
Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chyro
@Belonpopo said:
" @demontium: Boss fights are sadly dying. "
Well that was part of my post.  It doesn't necessarily have to be some huge God of War monster that takes 3/4 the screen.

@ArbitraryWater said:
" You guys forgot Fable 2. The "Final Boss battle" consists entirely of holding one button and pressing another. So... anti-climactic. "

They have been.  While these games have been epic in their own right.  It's just a giant let down after previous parts in the game outdo the final part.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Darkstorn said:

MGS3 bosses > MGS4 bosses 

God damn, the MGS4 bosses were all boring as hell. Undeveloped boring characters with poor gameplay in the fight itself.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By AlexB

I noticed Fallout 3's final boss (if you can call it that) was rather anticlimactic as well. The ending was nice and all, but it just took one shotgun blast to the head and he was gone. I think they could have done better. Nice post btw

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Quacktastic

I think at the end of the game, they want to put in something you'll remember.  So it is usually a little different than the rest of the game and we remember it for the wrong reasons.

In CoD4s defense, I don't know how else they could do it.  The badguy is just a guy, like all of the guys you dropped before him.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I think that this gen, MGS IV takes the cake. I mean, that final fight, was a great thing. All the things that led to it, the previous scene where he pushes himself through that place, the music in the final battle. It all helped to create the mood for a great fight, that I will never forget. 

MW and MW 2 hold a second place. They also have great ending "bosses" full of "interaction". 

Today I finished Gears of War 2. And despite the fact that the level before the final boss was really amazing, the final boss itself was a joke.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By DrRandle

Possible Spoilers for year-old games.
I don't mind if the last boss "fight" is bad, but if it's a good encounter for the story or gratifying in some other way. Top of my head I can think Fable II and Fallout 3. In Fallout I was able to defer an entire fight with my speech and came to a peaceful solution, which, being the wasteland jesus that I was, was exactly what I had wanted to do. I was impressed by that and it felt good.

In Fable II, I always suspected that Lucien was never going to be a boss battle, and I was right. I thought maybe a shoot-out, but didn't expect it. Basically I backed him into a corner and showed that he can't win. (now granted that dick Reaver took my gratifying revenge-kill from me, but that was to Fable's credit of awesome direction and humor.)

Basically what you said about MW4 was spot on. It was nice to put my bat-grapple into the joker's back though. Too bad it was otherwise like every other fight.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Jimbo

The whole Boss concept in general really hasn't aged well.  They were fine when games were always totally crazy the whole way through anyway, but now you have games that try to establish a believable(ish) setting and then they shoehorn in a Boss fight at the end where, for no reason at all, the main (regular human) bad guy can take ten times as much damage as anybody else in the game.  It's a pretty lazy way to wrap up a game and there are far better ways to create a memorable ending.

You're right, there have been a lot of Boss fights this year that added absolutely nothing to the overall quality of the game.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By trophyhunter

last bosses have become a formality these days

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Evilsbane
@chstupid said:

End game spoilers!!!

What... dude you had to fist fight the fucking pope what do you WANT MAN??
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By I_smell

I think about this crap all the time! How to make boss fights exciting. For good boss fights, check out Metal Slug, God of War or Shadow o the Collossus.

One unconventional final boss I loved was in Bioshock. SPOILERS; I don't know how to tag things as spoilers!

There are kind of two things in that game that I'd class as an ENDING. The first is when you meet Andrew Ryan, the big boss man behind Rapture. You're kind of brainwashed all the way through the game to hate the guy, and just before the boss fight I was (stupidly) expecting him to be in like a giant robot or a helicopter, or be some huge muscle guy or something, but it was like a fuckin 60 year old man, and the game just says "there's your final boss. beat it." and you do. You take a golf club and forcefully beat this defenseless old man to death. He doesn't even try to run or anything. And it's such a huge, amazing moment that ties all the crazy story business together and it's weird and crazy and awesome.
Now the second thing I'd class as an ending would be the ACTUAL END to the game where you fight a huge muscley dude with all the powers in the game. He like charges at you n stuff and you dodge out the way. It's such a letdown :/

Yep, just some stuff I wanted to mention. Doesn't really have much to do with amping up the climax of a game.

dresum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dresum

I stopped playing WoW a long time ago, but in my opinion, what Blizzard does with the endgame raid bosses has yet to be topped in any other game. Although that type of complex multi-phase boss might only work in an MMO environment.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bubahula

just  play  serious sam HD

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chstupid
@Evilsbane said:
"@chstupid said:

End game spoilers!!!What... dude you had to fist fight the fucking pope what do you WANT MAN?? "

I't wasen't a fight I just easily kicked is ass while he was talking which was pretty funny
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By demontium
@Darkstorn said:
You never played the koopalings. 

You are deprived.
borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By borgmaster
@chstupid said:
" @Evilsbane said:
"@chstupid said:

End game spoilers!!!What... dude you had to fist fight the fucking pope what do you WANT MAN?? "
I't wasen't a fight I just easily kicked is ass while he was talking which was pretty funny "
it's not the actually fight that mattered

SPOILERZ!!!!!!!

it's the fact that you're beating the crap out of the pope while he tells you he how he did all he that did in order to gain control over god, that is awesome. also, he was a real duder, which makes it doubly awesome.

and I'll also just throw it in here, not only was the final boss garbage, but the entire last chapter of Uncharted 2 was garbage from a gameplay perspective. Talk about anti-climatic.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By sjschmidt93

Other shitty last boss fights include Infamous, Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5 and Batman. 

The last really good boss fight in a game was probably... MGS4.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chyro
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" Other shitty last boss fights include Infamous, Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5 and Batman.  The last really good boss fight in a game was probably... MGS4. "
All games I have yet to play beyond Batman.  Which was one of the worst I have finished recently.  

MGS 4 was released in 08 correct?   Was there a game released in 09 that had a stellar ending at all?  I suppose MW2 was alright.  But it wasn't amazingly epic.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#47  Edited By Hailinel
@MysteriousBob said:

" @Darkstorn said:

MGS3 bosses > MGS4 bosses  God damn, the MGS4 bosses were all boring as hell. Undeveloped boring characters with poor gameplay in the fight itself. "
I don't know about that.  The Mantis fight had probably the best and most satisfying use of Sixaxis controls in any PS3 game.

Edit:  Fuck it.  I can't remember which emotion the Mantis boss evoked.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By neoepoch

Just going to throw this out there.

Spirit Tracks had some really cool bosses. Granted some of them had the same concept as old Zelda bosses, but the final boss fight was really satisfying.  And the ending scene was pretty epic.

Also, in this Metal Gear debate...I think many will agree that The End and The Boss (Joy) boss fights were really damn awesome.

Dead Space had a really great end boss, in terms of scale and being dangled upside down while still shooting. It was still pretty easy though.