Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
More vespene gas! Now! 
More vespene gas! Now! 
When I sat down to play StarCraft II at Blizzard last week, I found a three-page primer on the immensely layered, intricate strategy game waiting for me. When you only have an afternoon to dive into a game that will take most people months to master, you need all the help you can get. I was surprised, though, at how many of the guide's headers related to the game's economy. "Build more workers!" it implores. "Spend your money. Try the new economy-boosting mechanics."

The more I played the game, the more I realized that StarCraft II--maybe even more than its predecessor--is a game about numbers. Big numbers. Tons of money, tons of upgrades, tons of units. Warcraft III was famous for drastically diverging from the typical Blizzard style of real-time strategy, focusing on smaller armies and individual hero characters with RPG-like leveling and skill trees. No such divergence for StarCraft II. Whoever harvests the most resources most efficiently and turns them into the most units stands a good chance of being the one left standing at the end.

Here's what Blizzard had waiting for us: a specially made, no-frills build of the multiplayer game as it currently stands, with all the units and balance for all three of the game's factions included. That means we could tech all the way up to the craziest units in the game, like the Protoss' one-off mothership--assuming we could survive that long, that is. That's another way StarCraft II reminded me of the first game: a lot of the matches I played were decided in the early game, with basic tier-one units like zealots, zerglings, stalkers, marines, hydralisks, and banelings deciding the important conflicts. Yes, the zergling rush is live and well here, at least till you figure out how to counter it.

Having not played StarCraft seriously in almost a decade, and having always been pretty lousy at it in a competitive sense, I can at least tell you that playing StarCraft II feels a little like riding a bicycle for the first time in a while. Your Zerg hatchery still spawns three larvae at a time that you can turn into drones (which turn into buildings) or combat units. Protoss bases still need to be built within pylons' spheres of influence. You can still get into a lot of shenanigans by lifting off Terran buildings and making them fly around. Using workers for scouting is still a good idea. Ditto blocking choke points with farms. This stuff will come right back to you, and luckily it's all still important and useful.

Still no sign of Tom Cruise. 
Rather than getting the barest sampling of all three races in the time I had, I decided to spend almost all afternoon focusing on the Protoss, and I got at least a basic grasp of what they're like by the time I had to relinquish the mouse. Zealots are even burlier than they used to be, especially with the dash upgrade that lets them launch at nearby enemies and cover lots of ground quickly. The stalker and immortal provide a good one-two punch of ranged offense against air and ground, respectively. My favorite thing about the Protoss, though, was researching Gateways into Warp Gates, which lose the ability to queue up units but instead let you almost instantly warp any Gateway unit into any area on the map where you have a pylon. The warp-in is on a short cooldown, so if you have the cash and build say, eight Warp Gates at once, you can pump eight new units onto the battlefield every 15 or 20 seconds. This proved to be an unstoppable strategy against other press members who were still trying to learn the game's ropes.

All the zealots and stalkers in the world didn't save me, however, when I went up against a Zerg player who actually took the time and effort to ascend up the tech tree and intelligently counter my throngs of simpler units. Like I said, not that good at StarCraft.

At least I got a good sense of what high-level StarCraft II play is going to be like while watching lead designer Dustin Browder commentate a few matches between members of the balance team, who are so good at the game already I got a little dizzy watching them play. The game may still be about making bigger and better armies than the other guy, but all the units in the world won't save you when you're up against opponents who have such an intimate grasp of the finer strategies and counters. The balance is of course subject to change; Browder offhandedly commented at one point about not liking the way resources are reallocated when you cancel a building's construction, indicating that Blizzard will be tweaking plenty of variables as the impending beta progresses towards the game's release, which the company is hoping will happen this year.

The 3D art looks pretty swell so far. 
Speaking of the beta, let's talk about what Blizzard didn't have ready for us when the press came to visit. There were no announcements about the beta: no talk about how many players will be invited, how long it will last, or, most importantly, when it will start. We also didn't get a single look at any of the features in the revamped Battle.net, though at least Blizzard is saying the matchmaking will be more accurate in terms of skill level than any of its previous RTSs. And don't even ask what's going on with the single-player campaign, which the team is still polishing and refining before it's comfortable letting anyone outside the company get near it. We had expected some or all of these features to be on display during the visit, and while it's disappointing that none of the remaining big questions about the game were answered, getting to play for an afternoon was an acceptable consolation prize.

In lieu of the new Battle.net, we at least got a quick look at StarCraft II's slightly insane statistics reporting, which seems geared toward the hardcore competitive community but looks like it will give players of any skill level a lot of ways to improve their game. After a match is over, you'll be presented with a dizzying array of stats and metrics, showing you everything from your per-unit army size to your unspent money and the number of workers you built. You can get a timestamped timeline of your entire build order, and the game will rate your combat efficiency--that is, the number of units you made versus the number that were killed. There are line graphs all over the place breaking down exactly what happened, when, and by whom. People are going to study this stuff endlessly.

That ludicrous attention to detail extends to match replays, too, which now have VCR-like controls that let you pause and fast forward recorded matches. You can even scrub through quickly with a slider, as if the match were a video. Observers can also join live matches and get an impressive amount of data and control. You can view real-time displays of each player's production rate, current tech researched, army size, and even how fast they're clicking. And now you can set your camera to mimic a specific player's perspective, so you can see just how jumpy and frenetic the camera gets as they hit their hotkeys at a zillion miles an hour.

Yum! 
Yum! 
As much as StarCraft II plays like StarCraft, it sure as heck looks and sounds like StarCraft, too. The art style is unmistakable, so the real visual improvements are in the fine details, like the way Protoss buildings implode in a storm of blue psionic energy when you destroy them, or how Zerg buildings start out as a roiling translucent cyst undulating on the creep with a tadpole-like larva darting around inside. The maps also have random weather effects built in now; I saw a rain and lightning storm start up during one match that looked nice. Most of the unit voice samples and music seem to be included now, as well, and it all sounds entirely appropriate to the three factions based on what was included in the first game. Also, I'm pretty sure Blizzard hired the same guy who did Col. Campbell in Metal Gear Solid to do the announcing for the Protoss, so I kept hearing this voice saying "You must construct additional pylons... SNAAAAAAAAAAKE!" all afternoon. It was really weird.

OK, yes, StarCraft II is very clearly the sequel to StarCraft, but it's a sequel that Blizzard seems to have made with a decade's worth of lessons and experience under its belt. To be fair, when you're building on one of the best games ever made, you don't exactly need to go and reinvent the wheel, which is why I'm not complaining that this sequel essentially looks to be a very pretty 3D version of StarCraft with a ton of new units, features, and balance thrown in. I've seen enough to know I'm most definitely going to play this; the only information I really require from Blizzard now is when we'll get to do that.

You could pass a few minutes of the wait watching me grill Mr. Browder about the beta, matchmaking, and how custom games like DOTA will work.

Blizzard also tossed out a bunch of new media for the game, including screenshots.

Here's a bunch of units and buildings and stuff.

Lastly, we've got the current tech trees for all your obsessively nerdy needs.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
More vespene gas! Now! 
More vespene gas! Now! 
When I sat down to play StarCraft II at Blizzard last week, I found a three-page primer on the immensely layered, intricate strategy game waiting for me. When you only have an afternoon to dive into a game that will take most people months to master, you need all the help you can get. I was surprised, though, at how many of the guide's headers related to the game's economy. "Build more workers!" it implores. "Spend your money. Try the new economy-boosting mechanics."

The more I played the game, the more I realized that StarCraft II--maybe even more than its predecessor--is a game about numbers. Big numbers. Tons of money, tons of upgrades, tons of units. Warcraft III was famous for drastically diverging from the typical Blizzard style of real-time strategy, focusing on smaller armies and individual hero characters with RPG-like leveling and skill trees. No such divergence for StarCraft II. Whoever harvests the most resources most efficiently and turns them into the most units stands a good chance of being the one left standing at the end.

Here's what Blizzard had waiting for us: a specially made, no-frills build of the multiplayer game as it currently stands, with all the units and balance for all three of the game's factions included. That means we could tech all the way up to the craziest units in the game, like the Protoss' one-off mothership--assuming we could survive that long, that is. That's another way StarCraft II reminded me of the first game: a lot of the matches I played were decided in the early game, with basic tier-one units like zealots, zerglings, stalkers, marines, hydralisks, and banelings deciding the important conflicts. Yes, the zergling rush is live and well here, at least till you figure out how to counter it.

Having not played StarCraft seriously in almost a decade, and having always been pretty lousy at it in a competitive sense, I can at least tell you that playing StarCraft II feels a little like riding a bicycle for the first time in a while. Your Zerg hatchery still spawns three larvae at a time that you can turn into drones (which turn into buildings) or combat units. Protoss bases still need to be built within pylons' spheres of influence. You can still get into a lot of shenanigans by lifting off Terran buildings and making them fly around. Using workers for scouting is still a good idea. Ditto blocking choke points with farms. This stuff will come right back to you, and luckily it's all still important and useful.

Rather than getting the barest sampling of all three races in the time I had, I decided to spend almost all afternoon focusing on the Protoss, and I got at least a basic grasp of what they're like by the time I had to relinquish the mouse. Zealots are even burlier than they used to be, especially with the dash upgrade that lets them launch at nearby enemies and cover lots of ground quickly. The stalker and immortal provide a good one-two punch of ranged offense against air and ground, respectively. My favorite thing about the Protoss, though, was researching Gateways into Warp Gates, which lose the ability to queue up units but instead let you almost instantly warp any Gateway unit into any area on the map where you have a pylon. The warp-in is on a short cooldown, so if you have the cash and build say, eight Warp Gates at once, you can pump eight new units onto the battlefield every 15 or 20 seconds. This proved to be an unstoppable strategy against other press members who were still trying to learn the game's ropes.

All the zealots and stalkers in the world didn't save me, however, when I went up against a Zerg player who actually took the time and effort to ascend up the tech tree and intelligently counter my throngs of simpler units. Like I said, not that good at StarCraft.

At least I got a good sense of what high-level StarCraft II play is going to be like while watching lead designer Dustin Browder commentate a few matches between members of the balance team, who are so good at the game already I got a little dizzy watching them play. The game may still be about making bigger and better armies than the other guy, but all the units in the world won't save you when you're up against opponents who have such an intimate grasp of the finer strategies and counters. The balance is of course subject to change; Browder offhandedly commented at one point about not liking the way resources are reallocated when you cancel a building's construction, indicating that Blizzard will be tweaking plenty of variables as the impending beta progresses towards the game's release, which the company is hoping will happen this year.

Speaking of the beta, let's talk about what Blizzard didn't have ready for us when the press came to visit. There were no announcements about the beta: no talk about how many players will be invited, how long it will last, or, most importantly, when it will start. We also didn't get a single look at any of the features in the revamped Battle.net, though at least Blizzard is saying the matchmaking will be more accurate in terms of skill level than any of its previous RTSs. And don't even ask what's going on with the single-player campaign, which the team is still polishing and refining before it's comfortable letting anyone outside the company get near it. We had expected some or all of these features to be on display during the visit, and while it's disappointing that none of the remaining big questions about the game were answered, getting to play for an afternoon was an acceptable consolation prize.

In lieu of the new Battle.net, we at least got a quick look at StarCraft II's slightly insane statistics reporting, which seems geared toward the hardcore competitive community but looks like it will give players of any skill level a lot of ways to improve their game. After a match is over, you'll be presented with a dizzying array of stats and metrics, showing you everything from your per-unit army size to your unspent money and the number of workers you built. You can get a timestamped timeline of your entire build order, and the game will rate your combat efficiency--that is, the number of units you made versus the number that were killed. There are line graphs all over the place breaking down exactly what happened, when, and by whom. People are going to study this stuff endlessly.

That ludicrous attention to detail extends to match replays, too, which now have VCR-like controls that let you pause and fast forward recorded matches. You can even scrub through quickly with a slider, as if the match were a video. Observers can also join live matches and get an impressive amount of data and control. You can view real-time displays of each player's production rate, current tech researched, army size, and even how fast they're clicking. And now you can set your camera to mimic a specific player's perspective, so you can see just how jumpy and frenetic the camera gets as they hit their hotkeys at a zillion miles an hour.

Yum! 
Yum! 
As much as StarCraft II plays like StarCraft, it sure as heck looks and sounds like StarCraft, too. The art style is unmistakable, so the real visual improvements are in the fine details, like the way Protoss buildings implode in a storm of blue psionic energy when you destroy them, or how Zerg buildings start out as a roiling translucent cyst undulating on the creep with a tadpole-like larva darting around inside. The maps also have random weather effects built in now; I saw a rain and lightning storm start up during one match that looked nice. Most of the unit voice samples and music seem to be included now, as well, and it all sounds entirely appropriate to the three factions based on what was included in the first game. Also, I'm pretty sure Blizzard hired the same guy who did Col. Campbell in Metal Gear Solid to do the announcing for the Protoss, so I kept hearing this voice saying "You must construct additional pylons... SNAAAAAAAAAAKE!" all afternoon. It was really weird.

OK, yes, StarCraft II is very clearly the sequel to StarCraft, but it's a sequel that Blizzard seems to have made with a decade's worth of lessons and experience under its belt. To be fair, when you're building on one of the best games ever made, you don't exactly need to go and reinvent the wheel, which is why I'm not complaining that this sequel essentially looks to be a very pretty 3D version of StarCraft with a ton of new units, features, and balance thrown in. I've seen enough to know I'm most definitely going to play this; the only information I really require from Blizzard now is when we'll get to do that.

You could pass a few minutes of the wait watching me grill Mr. Browder about the beta, matchmaking, and how custom games like DOTA will work.

Blizzard also tossed out a bunch of new media for the game, including screenshots.

Here's a bunch of units and buildings and stuff.

Lastly, we've got the current tech trees for all your obsessively nerdy needs.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By joshs

Lookin good :D

jaenks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jaenks

Awesome, cannot wait to get my hands on this!

Avatar image for dirtyfootprints
dirtyfootprints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dirtyfootprints

looking like a pretty good game

DerekDanahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DerekDanahy

Good article Brad

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname

Why does it say you posted this 2 days ago?
Brad from the past? Or did this thread go unnoticed, however the game design is looking really good, it's colorful without being childish, I like it.
It's like the approach RA3 went for but didn't achieve.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Radar

wow @ that players online map
Blizzard's online games? Popular pretty much everywhere that has internet access.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By dietmango

It's looking awesome. Can't wait for this game.

berbenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By berbenator

aagh!! i need to build my comp ASAP!!!

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cloneslayer

starcraft is and always will be, beyond me

Orbi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Orbi
@Ineedaname said:
" Why does it say you posted this 2 days ago?Brad from the past? Or did this thread go unnoticed, however the game design is looking really good, it's colorful without being childish, I like it.It's like the approach RA3 went for but didn't achieve. "
Says June 29 for me, but there was a NDA up until Monday for what Brad reported on, so he probably would've finished the article before now and then set it to go up on the site when the NDA lifted.
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By peewi

That's all rather nice.

Almost all of those replay features were also in WC3.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
@Orbi said:
" @Ineedaname said:
" Why does it say you posted this 2 days ago?Brad from the past? Or did this thread go unnoticed, however the game design is looking really good, it's colorful without being childish, I like it.It's like the approach RA3 went for but didn't achieve. "
Says June 29 for me, but there was a NDA up until Monday for what Brad reported on, so he probably would've finished the article before now and then set it to go up on the site when the NDA lifted. "
Not that you were disagreeing but still:

No Caption Provided

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#14  Edited By Brackynews

And it comes out on 360 when?

*ducks*

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Death_Burnout

i'll never ever ever ever be interested in StarCraft II, and i love RTS games.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tebbit
@Brackynews said:
" And it comes out on 360 when?*ducks* "

*Shoe sails past Brackynews's head*

But I don't think a console version of the game would be terrible, so long as they FINISH THE PC ONE FIRST! We don't want another Oblivion style console port.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Paul Eiding was in the original StarCraft voicing Aldaris...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox
@Brad:
How was the performance and what were the PC specs? 60 frames smooth even in the midst of massacre?
Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Sunjammer

From all my time with RTSes since StarCraft, particularly the Relic games, i'm pretty bummed out that Blizzard isn't doing more to their template.

I'm all for RTS games with wacky single player campaigns though. DoW2 still has me coming back.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By raidingkvatch

I sucked at Star Craft multi. Only really played a few times, but I absolutely loved the single player campaign. Maybe I'll get more into the multi with Star Craft II

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tekmojo

Best in the bizz.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phlegms

This looks way too intense for me, sorry blizzard.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedSox8933

I usually try to stay away from strategy games, I always crap them up real bad. This just looks like too much for my brain to handle.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kohe321

Great read, game looks rad!

Koof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Koof

i am seriously excited for no other game

blizzarrrddddddddd

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Media_Master

Looks and sounds like they know what they want out of their game

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am garbage at StarCraft (and all RTS games really). You can't blame me for not being excited for what is basically the same game that came out 11 years ago.

Alwaysrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alwaysrun

Fantastic interview Brad. Great questions and Mr. Bowder elaborates nicely. You always ask the insightful questions people want to know. Your the Barbera Walters of Giant Bomb. Keep up the great work.

kainen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kainen

rad article man

Avatar image for fire_marshall_bill
Fire_Marshall_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ahh the face behind the battle reports

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Landmine

This was an unexpected piece, thanks for all the info Brad.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nixium

DO WANT!

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By KnightsofRound

Honestly, I'm still pissed at Blizzard for ditching the original voice cast of StarCraft.

I'm in StarCraft II for the single player, having 10 years of memories of these characters being altered just doesn't sit right with me.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seedofpower
@Brackynews: Never.

Thanks brad, now im going to think about this for the next 6 months while I ponder when its going to come out.
Joris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Joris

RTS: all work and no play :-)

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36  Edited By Crono

Excellent write up.  The game looks so amazing.  Can't wait to get this game, and likely a new computer to go with it lol.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayzilla

would love to get into this, but i dont have a lifetime to dedicate to SC2 and being the perfectionist that i am coupled with the fact that i hate losing, it looks as if i will have to take a pass on this one.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By empfeix
@Jayzilla: I'm with you but I don't mind getting it handed to me.  They said the ranking system will be a lot better, and even in Starcraft 1 I found the ranking system to be fair.  I would lose a bunch admittedly but after my rank got low enough I started to win a decent amount.  Oh btw the game will probably be supported for at least 10 years so isnt that enough time for you :D

Don't under estimate the new replay features, the easiest way to win is to emulate or find counters to the games where you get wiped.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By singular

I need a napkin. Also good writing Brad.

SlimDogg95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlimDogg95

This is looking really good.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I want this so bad.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrKlorox

The lighting model looks great with the textures.

Avatar image for theineffablebob
TheIneffableBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By TheIneffableBob

Sequel to the greatest game ever.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darkjester74

Never been into any RTS games myself, good for RTS fans tho.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

DO WANT RIGHT NAO!
...Although I'm primarily looking forward to the single player campaign. Terrans FTW!

INCSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By INCSlayer

Spawn more overlords

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By giyanks22

Basically Brad's saying that he didn't get what he wanted to see, but it was still awesome...