The state of the shooter?

changgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By changgo
I generally enjoy playing shooters.  First-person, third-person, Word War 2-type, sci-fi, they have all entertained me.  During my ride into work this morning (and after recently completing Resistance: Fall of Man); however,  I have begun to wonder if the shooter genre (at least the single player campaign) is a bit tired.  Now, I must preface the rest of this dialogue by stating that I have yet to play two titles that may indeed, at least partially, alter my view: Call of Duty 4; Battlefield: Bad Company.  That being said two innovative titles do not define a trend, much less a paradigm shift.  

The vast majority of the shooters currently available on consoles all stick to the same basic formula: you move through some sort of trigger, enemies arrive, you (hopefully) dispatch them, and then move on to the next trigger.  I understand that may be a bit of an oversimplification, but that appears to be the basic game design.  I am not completely apposed to that design, I understand that in most cases it comes out of technological necessity, however, I am apposed to it when the trigger-based design it is blatantly obvious to me as the player.  I think part of the solution to an more engaging single player campaign may have been elucidated by Metal Gear Solid 4.  During a recent play-through of MGS4 I purposely engaged heavily in the various paramilitary vs. rebel battles presented.  Although there are some obviously scripted elements in those battles, I didn't get the same trigger-design feeling that I have grown accustomed to in traditional shooters.

The best example of what I am talking about occurs as you are working your way up to save Naomi in South America.  When you near the paramilitary base you find yourself in the midst of a massive battle between rebel and paramilitary forces.  Unlike a typical shooter battle the end-objective does not hinge upon annihilation of your enemy (because it is a Metal Gear Solid game the objective is covert oriented - which may end up in another blog post); I can fight as much or as little as I want.  The freedom that a more open ended battle provides, from my point of view, is much appreciated.  Once I understand my objective, I can decide the best way to proceed to meet that goal.  If that means taking-on all enemies, so be it, however, it may be equally as effective to focus on a few specific targets.  For me, having options of how you can proceed through a game is more enjoyable than facing wave after wave of enemies, only changing in number, location, and/or intensity as you progress.

I want to stress that I am only speaking about the single player shooter campaign.  The multiplayer component of shooters is, of course, different.  There are generally no triggers or scripted events, which is part of the lasting appeal of the multiplayer mode.

What are your thoughts on the shooter genre?  Do you agree/disagree?  Do you have suggestions of games that I should look to (besides COD4 and Battlefield: Bad Company - those are on my list)?
SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolemnOaf

I totally agree that shooters need to move away from scripting and into more organic arenas where it's more like combat setpieces than cued events.  Halo 1 did this really well, probably better than anyother game i've played to date, including it's sequels.  I also think that the merging genres of FPS and RPG will start being more common in games, like the upcoming Borderlands and Wolfenstein, and will provide much needed depth to a genre that is threatening to become somewhat monotonous.

I haven't played MGS4, but from your description it sounds pretty intense in parts.  I think more shooters need to get away from just throwing waves of enemies at you until a certain area is cleared, and start creating environments populated by characters, each with their own intelligence patterns, that inhabit a given arena.

Nat495

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nat495

I agree. I think genres go in cycles. Tycoon games,  beat-'em ups, and Spaceship simulators, like X-Wing and Freespace, all used to be extremely popular. Now, you can hardly find any new games for those genres being made. Will 1st person shooters do this? Probably not, I think that shooters instead go through theme shifts. Currently it seems that there are a lot of 1st person shooter stories that deal with invading aliens right now, which seems to make the entire genre tired. Although before the aliens it was Nazis and world war II. Now there seems to be very few World War II games. I imagine that after aliens there will be a big game, maybe the Soviet Union or WWI, that will cause the entire genre to shift toward doing games like that. That's my two cents.