The super legit end-of-the-generation awards

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By PurpleShyGuy

You didn’t ask for it, but here it is anyway.

Here we are again, another set of consoles coming in hot with people engaged in a mad scramble to get their little mitts on them. So adhering to the gipsy curse placed on me many moons ago, let’s go through the generation and hand out a bunch of awards, some with seemingly arbitrary conditions to win – hooray!

The Game That Made Me A Zelda Fan Again: Link’s Awakening

I’ll admit that me and the Zelda franchise have fallen out of favour over the years, and it took looking back to Link’s Awakening to remind me why I held the series in such high regard. And it’s the dungeons that really drew me in, dungeons which are difficult, complex and have fantastic atmosphere, with crisscrossing corridors that lead you up, down and all around. It really brings to light how much tamer these labyrinthine constructions have gotten in newer entries. While there are some instances of logic leaps to jump over – and whoever programmed the physics in the crane game can burn in hell – it was a delight to go through this game. And it’s amazing how nostalgic Link’s Awakening made me despite never playing the Game Boy original.

The Game That Makes Me Want To Play The Original Again Award: Spelunky 2

Spelunky 2 is a good game, just one that reminds me that a better version of it sits right next to it in my library. Yes, Spelunky 2 gives you more areas to explore, more secrets to unlock and more tools to experiment with, but it also sometimes dumps lava in front of the exit and tells you to get fucked. Add to this a focus on mini-bosses along with an increase in mandatory item collection to get to hidden areas, and the game actually seems more repetitive than Spelunky HD which was sparser in content. Again, Spelunky 2 is a game that I’ve found enjoyment in, but it also proves that quality doesn’t automatically increase with quantity.

Forget puddlegate with Insomniac Games' Spider-man, Spelunky 2 has lost its ice reflections from Spelunky HD. That makes it a terrible game now!
Forget puddlegate with Insomniac Games' Spider-man, Spelunky 2 has lost its ice reflections from Spelunky HD. That makes it a terrible game now!

The Best Soundtrack That Isn’t NieR: Automata’s Award: Pyre

Pyre might not have absolute bangers that you’re going to listen to on your drive home, but its use of stringed instruments that can range from the gentle to the dramatic melded perfectly with the tone of the world. The sweet but slightly melancholic Downside Ballad, the rough and tumble Thrash Pack, the ponderous Dirty Deal and the pomposity of Grand Ceremony all help to add flavour to Pyre’s lands and characters. But what really elevates Pyre’s music is how the lyrics in the track Bound Together will change depending on what choices you’ve made in the story. It is an example that plays to the strength of video games as an interactive medium.

The You Probably Shouldn’t Have Said That Award: Don Mattrick’s “It’s called Xbox 360”

Hoo boy, you better believe this category was filled to bursting with entries! With Phil Harrison believing that ISPs will cater to the Google Stadia, Jim Ryan essentially stating that your PS2 copy of Okami now looks like shit and Randy Pitchford saying…anything, there was plenty to choose from. Yet, the winner happened at the start of this generation with Don Mattrick declaring that if you want to play Xbox games, but don’t have a reliable internet connection, then check out this old console that they aren’t going to be making any more games for. It’s a perfect example of Microsoft’s sheer arrogance that alienated potential customers, in which Phil Spencer has spent many years providing damage control on.

The Holy Moly That Looks Amazing Award: Echo (no, not the one with the dolphin)

I knew nothing about this game until I saw a Quick Look on this site years ago, and instantly fell head over heels in love with its art style. The pristine marble and gold halls that stretch into infinity ignited my desire to explore, and the music’s elongated notes echoed its simply awe-inspiring and expansive world. The only downside is that it became very apparent that the budget only stretched so far, with new areas just being the previous ones but in a different colour. With a core concept that didn’t quite reach its full potential, it was a diamond in the rough, but one that shone brilliantly.

I mean look at it, LOOK AT IT!
I mean look at it, LOOK AT IT!

The Year FPSs Became Good Again Award: 2016

In 2016, I was just about done with the FPS genre as it churned out Call of Dutys and Battlefields at a numbing rate, but from on high came a trio of wonderful saviours: Doom 2016, Overwatch and Titanfall 2. Doom 2016 laughed at the concept of cover, and pushed the player to run-and-gun for their lives as they blasted the spawn of Hell into big meaty demonic chunks. Overwatch gleefully gave us a vibrant and diverse cast to play as, throwing out that tired old unlock system most other shooters still cling onto. Titanfall 2 doubled down on its movement and mechs, giving us one of the most freeing and lively shooters in recent memory. 2016 reignited my love for the FPS genre.

The Battle Royale Game I Liked Award: Apex Legends

Now I’m not the biggest fan of this new fangled Battle Royale genre, but Apex Legends was the exception to the rule. I think it was its focus on teamwork that proved to be the key in drawing me in, since I (usually) had a safety net if I wandered around the wrong corner and got a face full of Peacekeeper. The lower player count compared to others in its genre meant matches wouldn’t last an eternity as well, which is always my issue with these games. However, Apex Legend’s greatest feature was the marking system, which allowed you to convey critical information to your team without having to say a word, great for the introverts among us.

The Best Moment In A Game Award: The final stretch of Celeste

There are times when a game just clicks, when the gameplay, visuals and music blend together into a delicious cocktail of euphoria. I’ll try to talk around what happens to not spoil anything, but the last few hours of Celeste provide an excellent closure to a character struggling with her inner demons – or demon to be more precise.

The Game That I Wish I Didn’t Hate Award: The Wonderful 101 Remastered

It had always been a desire that The Wonderful 101 would one day be freed from the shackles of the Wii U, much like Bayonetta 2 was. But unlike Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 Remastered would not be as fondly remembered. From the constant cutscene interruptions, to the shooter segments that go on about three times longer than is actually fun, to the fact that you restart exactly from where you die meaning death is pointless if you don’t care about rank, this game wore me down. And when I got to the final boss, I just stopped, because I wasn’t enjoying the game one bit, and that depresses me.

The Game That I Wish Was A TV Show Award: Red Dead Redemption 2

The slow degradation of Dutch’s gang from a plucky upbeat group to a pathetic shell of its former self, sublimely shows the futile effort of trying to live in a dying age. The voice acting and facial animation perhaps showcases some the finest digital acting you’ll see in a game. Shame that actually playing it is like counting blades of grass which each have their own EULA to read. The most distinguishing thing I remember about Red Dead Redemption 2’s gameplay is holding the aim button and pushing the stick up a little for a headshot roughly five million times. Rockstar have clearly put in a huge – and some would say unnecessary – amount of work into the game technically, yet, it still manages to feel like a relic.

The Best Game That Had Humour I Hated Award: AI: The Somnium Files

A murder mystery and an extremely absorbing one at that, with multiple branching paths that you are free (and sometimes required) to jump back to. AI: The Somnium Files’ story had me gripped from start to finish as I untwined the knotty narrative placed before me. So it’s a shame that the humour (if you could call it that) made me wince every time it reared its awkward head, mainly because it piledrives the tone into the ground. You would think talking about having sex on a table in front of a traumatised child who just lost her mother would be a big no-no, but not in this game. And it’s not even like the characters don’t have touching moments, but those moments can get buried under the cast blurting out a slight variation on the same awful joke over and over again.

The full spectrum of AI: The Somnium Files' humour.
The full spectrum of AI: The Somnium Files' humour.

The Best Fighting Game Award: Tekken 7

The fighting genre is one that I’ve only really experienced in recent years, and in my short time with it I’ve crowned Tekken 7 as the best of the bunch, as well as one of my top games of the generation. Tekken 7’s secret to success is that its simple surface hides a world of depth. For the most part, there are no multiple meters, bars or icons to scare away newcomers, but anyone who’s put some time in knows there is so much to uncover. I’ve spent hours in training mode alone just discovering what my fighter can do, and I was constantly finding things to take note of. Tekken 7 has pushed me to go further into the mechanics than any other fighting game I’ve played.

The Most Surprising Game Award: Doki Doki Literature Club

At the start of this generation, if you told me that one of my favourites from it would be a free visual novel where you get the chance to date four “incredibly cute girls” as the game puts it, I would raise one eyebrow and say, “go on.” Of course if you know Doki Doki Literature Club, you know it is more than just a simple anime-trope riddled dating game. Some might gravitate towards its horror, while some towards its straight up weirdness, but for me, it perfectly encapsulates what its like to have a mental illness, and that’s the feeling of losing control over your life.

The Born To Die Award: Radical Heights

Bet you forgot about this game didn’t you? Radical Heights was a last ditch attempt to save the struggling studio Boss Key Productions from going under after the commercially tepid LawBreakers. Jumping on the Battle Royale bandwagon it quickly lost what player base it had, as it became clear how rushed its construction was. Stumbling into life it took its first shaky steps towards a barrel of a shotgun, it would have been funny if it wasn’t so sad.

The Most Underrated Game Award: Iconoclast

For a game that I hardly saw anyone talk about, it sure had a big impact on me. Despite its cutesy, bouncy retro aesthetic, Iconoclast paints a grim picture of deifying those with power, with some real emotional gut punches that will have this game sticking in your memory long after you put it down. Despite a somewhat lacklustre exploration and a dull upgrade system, it more than makes up for it with an enthralling story and endearing characters, with varied and entertaining boss fights serving as the cherry on top.

The Missing In Action Award: Beyond Good and Evil 2

Question: what is Beyond Good and Evil 2? It’s been promised for years now and I’m still not actually sure what you do in it. I know what I want it to be, which is a narrative-focused linear game with a small but detail-rich hub area, but that’s simply not Ubi-bot 4000’s output these days. Now after that unsavoury business with Michel Ancel, who even knows what the fate of this game is going to be? And while we’re mentioning forgotten Ubisoft projects, is that Wild game still a thing?

The Game Of This Generation I Still Want To Play Award: Guilty Gear Strive

Don’t throw your old console out just yet, because there’s still some late minute games dropping that don’t require you to shell out the cash for new hardware. Despite having a closed beta that didn’t exactly inspire confidence, I still remain tentatively excited that Guilty Gear Strive will shape up to be a fine game. It certainly is the best looking fighter out there, with Arc System Works pulling out all the stops with the visual splendour. Although, the UI is still a point of contention, which has now been upgraded from bad to better but still kind of bad.

Anime hair at the finest fidelity.
Anime hair at the finest fidelity.

The Worst Game Of The Generation Award: Destiny

There are worse playing games than Destiny to be sure, but Destiny encapsulates everything I hate about this generation. A game that puts out so little but asks so much, with boring repetitive missions to grind for dull, uninspired rewards that are handed out painfully slow, and bullet sponge enemies that test your ability to hold down the fire button more than anything. I detest this game so much because it has such a lack of respect for the player’s time. Devoid of imagination and passion, it comes across as nothing more than a corporate moneymaker – I mean more than usual.

The Best Game Of The Generation Award: NieR: Automata

These days, most mainstream games are desperately trying to ape films like a child would copy their older sibling in an insecure attempt to gain respect. NieR: Automata is a game that is completely comfortable in its medium, however. It may not be the prettiest, the most polished or even the most mechanically sound game, but in terms of moving me on an emotion level, it ranks at the top. There were times my jaw was literally open in sheer disbelief at what I was seeing on screen, and I’ll admit that I teared up at the absolutely superb ending. NieR: Automata is simply a beautiful reminder of why I play video games in the first place, and why I should still be excited about what’s to come in the future of the medium.

The We Don’t Give A Fuck About The 4th Wall Award: Death Stranding

Hey people, have you seen Ride with Norman Reedus? I know you’re trying to get immersed in the game and all that, but I don’t know man, it looks pretty cool.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing. Well done. You are, of course, wrong in most cases, but well done!

Manburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Manburger

Yes, fun list, great writing! I am with you 100% on Iconoclasts, I dig it. It was a real labour of love for its sole creator (Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg) and it shows. I feel somewhat similarly about Owlboy, which is a game that also gets surprisingly real, albeit in a different, and definitively not as dark fashion.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't think Destiny is devoid of imagination and passion. Someone wants that game to be something and I think that's evident through the loads of amazing art and loads of lore to sort through. But also, the people who pay the bills clearly want that game to be their Warframe. Couple that with the extremely troubled development of the original game and you've got a franchise that could have been so much more than a pretty timesink that feels really good to play.

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: What can I say, I aim to please, not to be correct.

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I have to admit it did have some very pretty skyboxes, and I've heard that the lore is also good.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Nice write-up! I haven't played a lot of these so I can't comment much as to your picks, but I know one of the picks for me would have been Witcher 3 for music of the generation. It's a soudntrack I still come back to on occasion. Anyways, good read!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I feel like the look and the premise of the wonderful 101 is so good and colorful that it's hard to imagine not liking the game if you never had the opportunity to play it. But then you play it and notice that there's no smile on your face :(

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty amazing how much the humor in W101 just doesn't work. And the jokes that work still get repeated 20 or so times because none of tre characters have any real character. Still, what does that game in is just how messy it is. It is possible to get good at it but I couldn't imagine how frustrating that would be. I did beat it though.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iconoclast got buried and it's a shame. Really enjoyed it as well.

Nier Automata had a fantastic (as in it hit hard and you should play it, NOT look it up) ending sequence and it had better gameplay, but overall I remember the first Nier fondly. I hope people get to play the Papa Nier version on modern consoles someday, even if it seems the rerelease will only contain the other version.

My personal favorite this generation is hard to decide but for this post it's FF7R. I was completely obsessed and I can watch certain scenes over and over. The fighting was an almost perfect modernisation and I'm looking forward to the next.

The award for the game I bounced off the hardest is RDR2. I fell asleep during the 'intro' and rode into a tree. I laughed, turned it off and have never bothered booting it up again. I'm 100% done with Rockstar's gameplay loop.

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've seen several people give up on Somnium Files just because of the humor and it's such a shame because the overall story is great. I think it (relatively) drops off as things get more intense but I can't blame anyone who's completely turned off in the first place. Some anime-style pervy humor is fine but I can't recall seeing anyone who actually like... really enjoyed that aspect.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun writeup. I'd forgotten all about the quick look for Echo. I'm going to rewatch that again tonight!

PurpleShyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry: It's a shame that Ultra Ultra closed down. I would have been very interested to see them improve upon the adaptive AI mechanic from Echo.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@purpleshyguy: that's a bummer. hope everyone landed on their feet okay.

Teamramrod27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The correct choice for game of the generation!