Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Tireyo
No Caption Provided

Tireyo643's Personal Appeal

I'm very pleased to be involved in making a video game music thread again! I am really glad that users DeF and SexyToad have agreed to participate in making the biggest and the baddest video game music blog that you'll ever see around, just similar to what Diamond and I have done back in 2010! In this new jukebox, there are no original video game themes and every song is either remixed or remastered! I have a big obsession with video game music, whether it's redone or not, and it's never really going to stop! With all new choices in remixes and themes, I do hope that you all enjoy listening to what we three have put together.

There are several songs that I have chosen that deserve special attention, and I would just like to mention those songs. Starfox Adventures has a theme that I have always liked as it had an impressive and relaxing African-like motif, and that song is Thorntail Hollow (Early Day). What is posted in this jukebox is the remix of that African-like original, but it is in an amazing rock form instead. Both versions are well worth listening too, but the remix just might be better than the original! Who remembers growing up with Duck Tales? Well, listen to the Moon Theme Orchestrated, and let it enchant your heart over again and bring you back into your childhood! I have a special place in my heart for 8-bit themes, so be sure to take a gander at the Castle Theme for New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Baladium's Drive from Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, and a theme from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Lastly, take a listen to the Bowser is Pissed Remix of Bowser's Castle from Super Mario Bros. as it is totally bad ass!

My goal is for you, my fellow Giant Bomb comrades, to discover, reminisce, and listen to remixes of video game songs that you'll love or come to love, and I hope that I have done my job! I want to give special thanks to ZombiePie for his recommendations in remixes coming from Giant Bomb's very own and very talented Hamst3r! I also want to thank users DeF and SexyToad in participating in making this amazing thread, and want you all to be sure to read what they have to say in their personal appeal. Please feel free to leave your comments, recommendations or contributions to the jukebox, rants, and praise. Also, please link your songs rather than embedding them. Have a great summer!

Enjoy,

Tyler

UPDATE: DeF, SexyToad and I have each picked a song in honor of Ryan Davis. =-)

Tireyo643's Song Selection

Here's a playlist of my songs!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Title Theme

2. Marble Madness - Remix (ZombiePie's recommendation of a remix made by Giantbomb user Hamst3r)

3. Fast Way - Rise of the Triad Remix (ZombiePie's recommendation of a remix made by Giantbomb user Hamst3r)

4. Donkey Kong Country 2 – Bramble Blast

5. Street Fighter 2 - Ken's Theme

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – Dragon Roost Island

7. International Karate - Theme

8. Uncharted – Nate’s Theme

9. Fire Emblem & Pokemon - "Together We Ride"

10. Nights into Dreams – Message From Nightopia

11. Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty

12. Mario VS. Donkey Kong – Mushroom Mayhem

13. Halo 4 - Neil Davidge - Nemesis & Arrival

14. Bejeweled 2 - Theme

15. Sly Cooper – Theme

16. Banjo-Kazooie – Treasure Trove Cove

17. Angry Birds - Theme

18. Super Mario World - Koopa's Castle

19. Mario Kart DS - Waluigi Pinball

20. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant Zone

21. New Super Mario Bros. Wii – Castle Theme

22. Starfox Adventures – Thorntail Hollow (Early Day)

23. Bomberman Hero – Redial

24. Duck Tales – Moon Theme

25. Skyrim – Theme

26. Portal 2 – Ending Theme

27. Terraria – Boss 2

28. Banjo-Tooie – Cloud Cuckooland

29. Donkey Kong Country – Fear Factory

30. Professor Layton – Layton’s Theme

31. Mass Effect 3 – Theme

32. Ninja Gaiden – Act 4-2

33. Rayman Origins - Moody Clouds

34. Chrono Trigger – At the End of Time

35. Paper Mario – Rogueport Sewers

36. Super Meat Boy – Spoiled Rotten

37. Mega Man – Junk Man

38. Cave Story – Moonsong

39. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Athletic Theme, Overworld

40. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile – Baladium’s Drive

41. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Theme

42. Kingdom Hearts – Dearly Beloved

43. Super Metroid - In Your Prime

44. Ecco the Dolphin - Tides of Time Theme

45. F-Zero GX - Pilot Profiles

46. Need for Speed: The Run - Main Menu

47. Bastion - In Case of Trouble and Spike in a Rail

48. Braid - Lullaby Set

49. Super Mario Bros. - Bowser's Castle (Bowser is Pissed Remix)

50. Earthbound - Pokey Means Business

Finale:Full Spring 2013 Concert - UM Gamer Symphony Orchestra

In Loving Memory of Ryan Davis:Giant Bombstep Reloaded

DeF's Personal Appeal

Hey folks!

So Ty had some crazy intuition to ask me if I wanted to contribute to this music blog and little did he know, music is actually a pretty big hobby of mine. I used to compose instrumental Hip Hop-inspired music (I was going to include a piece of my own that sampled the Hyrule Castle theme from A Link to the Past but the logistics of getting that onto YouTube and insecurity nonsense got in the way) and usually listen to a lot of Rap music but recently I started to identify less and less with what’s being said in most of these songs and instead devoted more time to listening to instrumental scores and soundtracks. Chiefly among them: game music!

The arrangements, remixes, covers and mash ups in this list are naturally very nostalgia heavy, which in my case also means Nintendo heavy. I would have loved to represent a wider variety of games but the songs listed are from games that are forever etched in my heart and mind in some form.

There is the incredible vocal interpretation of Chrono Trigger’s “Schala and the Queen” from the OCRemix project Chrono Symphonic with a beautiful performance by pixietricks that gives me goose bumps every time. Another vocal heavy song is “Resilience” by rapper Butch Mosby who is a former member of the late 90’s European rap ground Black Attack. Through fan community outreach, he reconnected with fans of his old songs and recorded some original material, among them this song sampling the “Old Snake” theme from Metal Gear Solid 4 to create an atmosphere of darkness and sadness while also delivering a tense baseline full of energy for this song about not giving up and carrying on no matter what.

Something else I’d like to highlight are the acapella covers from the latest YouTube phenomenon Smooth McGroove who creates multi-layered acapalla remakes of video game songs by using nothing but his voice (check out his rendition of Guile’s Theme!). The inclusion of his Mega Man 2 acapella is especially topical since Mega Man was revealed to be a new character in the next Super Smash Bros. game and a remix of the same song was used to introduce him in the trailer.

A special nod to Giant Bomb comes in the form of the Nintendo Land start-up theme remix. It’s too bad Nintendo doesn’t release their game soundtracks officially since that song would’ve gotten a lot of playtime in my stereo. GB’s own Brad Shoemaker even tried to manipulate the system by removing the disc during the loading screen so the song would play longer. It’s just that good. The remix has been chopped up a little and spiced up with an additional drum-layer on top of the original.

In compiling this list I have found a lot of awesome music and some incredible YouTube artists that lead me down a rabbit hole and made it unbelievably hard to keep this list at 25 entries with one song per game (we got one freebie that allowed me to include two songs from Terranigma since I adore this game’s music so much). I strongly encourage everyone who devotes their time to check out our lists to also look at some of the other stuff these YouTube artists have on their accounts and I promise you’ll find even more awesome covers, remakes, remixes and whatnot.

Finally, thanks to Tireyo for letting me nerd out about game music and including me in the project! (And also for the patience since I like to put things off until it’s almost too late) :D

PS: Who would’ve thought Super Metroid could sound so funky and Zelda could be so jazzy? Crazytown!

DeF's Song Selection

Here's a Youtube playlist of all my songs listed for your convenience!

1. Butch Mosby - Resilience (Samples Old Snake from MGS4)

2. Chrono Trigger - Schala and the Queen

3. Terranigma - Overworld Theme

4. Random, Savant & Hexsagon - Valley Of Doom (Samples Bear McCreary's 8-Bit remix of the Dark Void Main Theme, Prod. by DN3)

5. Mass Effect 3 - An End Once and For All (Extended Cut Acoustic Guitar Cover with TABS)

6. Terranigma - Quatros

7. Xenoblade - Main Theme (Violin, piano duet Ft. Zorsy)

8. Snoop Dogg- Drop It Like Its Hot (Kirby Remix) / (Samples Gourmet Race from Kirby Super Star)

9. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Faron Woods

10. Final Fantasy IV - Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption: 2-09 Goodbye Cid...

11. Super Metroid - Brinstar: Plant Overgrowth Area

12. Mega Man X - Spark Mandrill

13. Mega Man 2 - Dr. Wily Stage Acapella

14. ICO - You Were There

15. Nintendo Land - Startup Theme

16. Okami - Oki's Theme

17. Donkey Kong Country - Main Theme

18. Super Mario World - Main Theme

19. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Flight of the Zinger

20. Punch-Out!! - Fight & Training Themes

21. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Dark World

22. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Midna's Lament

23. Assassin's Creed II - Ezio's Family

24. StarCraft - Terran 2

25. Heavy Rain - Piano Suite

Finale:Alan Wake - The Poet and the Muse (Poets of the Fall / Old Gods of Asgard Acoustic Cover)

In Loving Memory of Ryan Davis: 3DS Puzzle Swap

SexyToad's Personal Appeal

Hello everyone! It's great to be included in this blog. I had my own share of fun searching through YouTube to find video game remixes. This was actually my first time listening to video game remixes, it was great to see what fans have created.

If you look down my list, you'll see that most of my selection was from Nintendo games. With a few exceptions, of course. I feel like Nintendo, does great with music in video games, every piece is either catchy and/or elegant. So there was plenty of music pieces to choose from. My songs range from orchestrated to dub step. A little something for everyone!

My personal favorites are 2. Animal Crossing - Theme, and Bioshock Infinite - Tears. I loved how they are both composed of sounds in the game. Shows are creative some people can be. Other than that, enjoy 12. Kirby's Falcon Punch Remix.

I would like to thank Tireyo643 for including me in this blog and DeF for helping out. I hope the community likes my selection!

Note: Bioshock Infinite - Tears may contain slight spoilers.

SexyToad's Song Selection

Here's my playlist!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Deku's Palace

2. Animal Crossing - Theme

3 Pikmin 2 - Awakening Wood

4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Requiem of Spirit

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Doopliss Theme

6. Luigi's Mansion - Theme

7. Minecraft - Mice On Venus

8. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Ancient Hero

9. Bastion - Everyone's Theme

10. Plants Vs. Zombies - Grasswalk

11. Super Mario Sunshine - Delfino Plaza

12. Super Smash Bros. Kirby's Falcon Punch Remix

13. Donkey Kong 64 - Frantic Factory

14. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Sounds, Flash! Bang! Dubstep Remix

15. The Binding of Issac - Tomes

16. Super Mario 64 - Water World

17. BioShock Infinite - Tears

18. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: Song of Healing

19. Dr. Mario - Fever

20. Super Mario World - Ending Orchestra

21. Portal - Glados

22. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - Temple of Droplets

23. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Sacred Grove

24 Portal 2 - How have you been

25. Donkey Kong - Theme

Finale:Pikmin - End of Day/Title

In Loving Memory of Ryan Davis: Dick Kicker

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

That second guy picked some terrible music, yo. Yuck.

First, btw!

Also, if it's not dubstep, it's not video game music!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh jeez, this is going to be a lot of content to view. I wish that they were all in a playlist or something so they could easily go through. I see some games I really like in here, I am going to have to give these tracks a listen! Glad to see this is finally done! :D

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billythekid: Hehe. DeF is the only one who has his selection in a youtube playlist.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can we institute an anti-embed rule so that this thread doesn't crash people's computers? Speaking of contributions, I throw in this odd dance remix of The Battle for Everyone's Souls. Somehow, it manages to translate that "all or nothing" feeling in the original into something more calm and serene, yet still fitting.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Only if we can have a moderator to enforce the anti-embed rule!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What?! No Zeldastep?!
No I know, I'm the only person who likes that stuff. but it's also the only Dubsteppy-stuff I can stand to listen to.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SexyToad

@zeforgotten: That was pretty neat, if I only I found that song before hand!

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Brackynews

Hey it's you! That guy what makes video game music threads! And I'm in it! Cool beans.

Since there's no more Soundcloud embedding I'll just leave this here. Rawk. \m/

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackynews: I remember seeing you around before. =-) It's really been a long time hasn't it?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad: It's your fault! all of it! all that is happening in the world! Your fault! the good, the bad. ALL OF IT! Curse you, Toad!
But yeah, Ephixas stuff is pretty cool. Except for the zelda remixes with some guy pretending to rap over it as well.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman

There is a disturbing lack of Pokemon in this thread, so here you go.

Cool stuff.

If anyone wants an entire album's worth of great Pokemon remixes, look no further.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tireyo

@jjweatherman: Oh come now! I didn't forget about Pokemon. =-P LOL!! Take a look at number 9 on my list.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@jjweatherman: Oh come now! I didn't forget about Pokemon. =-P LOL!! Take a look at number 9 on my list.

Yeah, you're right. I did actually see that, but totally forgot on account of my track bein' way better!

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tireyo643 said:

Yeah, you're right. I did actually see that, but totally forgot on account of my track bein' way better!

Okey dokey then! =-) Thanks for sharing and contributing. I'm listening to it, and it is better! If you have anymore, I'll definitely take a listen. I'm pretty sure that DeF and SexyToad will listen too. =-)

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a disturbing lack of Pokemon in this thread, so here you go.

Cool stuff.

If anyone wants an entire album's worth of great Pokemon remixes, look no further.

How did I not have any pokemon songs! D:

Seems like something I should have had! Also thanks, I'll take a listen to it later.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tireyo
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#19 Marino  Staff
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I used to be mad into video game remix music. I'll see if I can dig up some of the stuff I used to listen to and post it in this thread.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm: Sounds good. =-)

Just a question... but what made you less mad into video game remix music? New genre of music that interested you more, like the originals a whole lot better, or what? I know that I go up and down with it. This would be an up! =-P

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemo

There is not enough dubstep and DnB remixes here so lets fix that with some Mirrors Edge and Portal.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#23 ZombiePie  Staff

@mattyftm said:

I used to be mad into video game remix music.

Now you are just mad crazy. Anyways, good work for everyone involved.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do filk/nerdcore songs and "with lyrics" versions also count?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@medacris said:

Do filk/nerdcore songs and "with lyrics" versions also count?

I think you haven't seen my list then :)

All it has to do is use actual video game music as a sample.

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always liked this jazzy remix of Castlevania's Vampire Killer from DDR Universe.

Loading Video...

Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenrir: I really like that song. It reminds me of what games sounded like on the Commodore 64.

Here's another song that I wanted to share! This here is what I think Gerudo Valley should really sound like, as it is far much better than the original. These guys did a wonderful job with remastering this theme.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Bollard
afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chavtheworld: He's the only one that has a YouTube account out of all three of us. =-P

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Jukebox has been updated! There are now YouTube playlists for SexyToad and I!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tireyo643: Awesome stuff, I'mma have this on while I do boring shit like try and find a house.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def: But it was made by a community member! (and is dope regardless of if you played the game)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def: But it was made by a community member! (and is dope regardless of if you played the game)

My point was that I can't include music from a game I've never played and thus never heard any music from :)

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Hamst3r
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: You're very talented, and I'm glad that ZombiePie showed them to me. I wanted you to know that I included them in my part since you're the genius behind it. =-)

That Mirror's Edge remix you just posted is really great! I definitely want to hear more of what you have.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: You're very talented, and I'm glad that ZombiePie showed them to me. I wanted you to know that I included them in my part since you're the genius behind it. =-)

That Mirror's Edge remix you just posted is really great! I definitely want to hear more of what you have.

My personal favorite.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexytoad said:

@tireyo643 said:

My personal favorite.

That's insane! =-P

Paboned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: Hope you like em'!

Thank you all for your contributions. =-) I hope to see more!

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By audiosnow
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee: WHAT A FIND! I'm certainly going to look more into more Commander Keen stuff. Thank you good sir for sharing. =-)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers