The Wii U Pro Controller would be my favourite controller ever if it wasn't for one flaw...

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nagafen

So I just got my Wii U Pro Controller today to play Zelda, I hate holding the big tablet thing if it's not going to do anything. Straight away from holding the Pro Controller, it feels so comfortable and the position of the Sticks is amazing! It just feels the most natural to me alongside pressing the buttons. I have no idea why people hated on this controller for so long..

However it does have one flaw, the lack of analogue triggers means you cannot play driving games and probably a whole load of others. It goes alongside the Gamecube controller for me being so comfortable. but the c stick and one missing bumper just becomes a big knock against it.

I'm really going t enjoy playing Zelda now though, the gamepad was really annoying me.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Capum15

Meanwhile I've become quite the opposite, hah. I started with the pro controller but now vastly prefer the gamepad.

I wish the right stick was under the buttons because I kept hitting the wrong one for hours in that game (always sprinting instead of attacking, dang muscle memory) for both controllers, though I've managed to get used to it now. Eventually I started playing equally on the gamepad and tv, and micro-adjustments when aiming stuff is so nice with the gamepad, considering I have to have the sensitivity at max to bear moving the camera, and doing tiny adjustments when aiming like that is...difficult.

I will say the general feel of the pro controller is pretty nice though, and I can definitely hold that longer than the gamepad without my hands or fingers getting sore.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lazyimperial

I like the pro controller more than the awkward-as-heck tablet gamepad (using that over an extended period of time was never fun), but I very much prefer the Xbox and PlayStation controllers. Having the right stick over the face buttons feels very awkward to me, and I very much dislike the face button placement. Since the Xbox has had infinitely better third party support, I've gotten used to X on the left, Y on the top, A on the bottom, and B on the right. Having each pair flipped is oddly tortuous, and their placement means that my finger naturally rests over the X button, which is about where the X button / square button would be on a Xbox / PlayStation controller. My muscle memory goes, "ah... X, my old friend. Perfect. Time to swing my sword." As a result, I've jumped instead of swinging my sword more times than I'd care to count. *shrug*

Oh well. I'm glad you find it cozy. :-P

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

While I don't think its great, its is much better than the goofy thing it comes with to attach the joycons to. My biggest complaint is still not be able to get used to Nintendo not swapping B and A for NA like Sony does. 20+ hours in to Zelda and I still try to use the wrong buttons. Then after a couple hour play session when I finally get it right, I pick up my PS4 controller to load up Netflix or something and I then hit circle instead of X. Its very annoying.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the buttons are all wrong.

I know Nintendo started the whole A/B/X/Y thing and they want to keep it that way, but the Xbox 360/One controllers have been so prolific across console and PC gaming that it just makes everything so wrong and hard every time I try and play anything on the Wii U one.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By Forcen

PSA: If you got a Steam Link then you should know the pro controller works great with it. Just becomes a xbox controller to the PC.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saispag said:

I know Nintendo started the whole A/B/X/Y thing and they want to keep it that way, but the Xbox 360/One controllers have been so prolific across console and PC gaming that it just makes everything so wrong and hard every time I try and play anything on the Wii U one.

This. There's something deeply wrong about the select/continue button being on the right.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does a controller that expensive not have analog triggers?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I think it has basically a 3ds battery, that might be why. That thing lasts forever...

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@saispag said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I played so much Super Nintendo growing up that I still have trouble using the Xbox controller. QTEs on that system are my bane.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone tried the new switch pro controller and know how it compares to the old one? I know the stick moved but that's about it.

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I only have two real complaints with the controller: I don't like where the second stick is. I get that you kinda want to keep it similar to the game pad so it doesn't mess with people's muscle memory between the two, but pressing buttons kinda suck down there. I also don't like how easy it is to click in the sticks. I'd had a lot of issues in Zelda with Link crouching cause I would try to dodge to the side to make a counter attack and it just fails. That sucks.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

Anyone tried the new switch pro controller and know how it compares to the old one? I know the stick moved but that's about it.

Switch Pro is my all time favorite controller. The triggers are similar to Dualshock 4 triggers, sticks feel like more comfortable, slightly bigger versions of the Xbox One sticks, the face buttons have a really nice flat feel to them, and it contains the gyro/rumble of the joycons.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arjailer

OP is about the Wii-U pro controller - how did it morph to be about the Switch pro controller? :-/

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:
@saispag said:

Maybe I'm the only one, but I played so much Super Nintendo growing up that I still have trouble using the Xbox controller. QTEs on that system are my bane.

I'm the same way, but then again I never owned a 360 as well. And lots of games on PS1-4 still used circle as confirm.

@nagafen: I can't actually think of any genres of games aside from racing, and maybe FPS, that would benefit from triggers. For some like fighting games, a trigger is pretty much a useless button.