The Witcher - The Alchemy of Turning Shit into Gold

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Heard many good things about the Witcher. Got me a copy of it. The 'Enhanced Edition'. The re-released version of the game, because it started out as a buggy piece of shit. They put in an extra year of polish to get it working as intended. Players who got the first edition got the patch for free. That's the obvious story of how shit turns into gold. It's not the whole story though. 

The Witcher has 5 chapters. With every chapter the game improves on literally every aspect of the game. From questdesign over pacing to technical artistery. From character writing to atmosphere to storytelling. Chapter 1 is literally flat and ugly and boring. A horrible torture - to endure only with unweavering will. Let me tell you this - the Finale of the game is up there with the best. It's outstanding. When you've played the Witcher to its conclusion, you've climbed a mountain of shit to realize that the peak is made of pure gold. 

People - if you aren't aware of CD Projekt RED and their upcoming game 'The Witcher 2 - Assassin of Kings', then it's time that you take this clue. Never seen as much potential being realized, so much progress being made, within one single game. Most promising indeed. To the future of CD Projekt RED! May they turn out to be as good at crafting games as the Witcher 1 hints at!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Seppli

Check out the Gamespot E3 2010 Stagedemo... 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz

Yeah I wait with bated breath for the Witcher 2. I absolutely fell in love with the first one (although it did, as you said, start out quite flat), so I can't wait for the sequel.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By SlasherMan

Indeed.

The game starts out slow, but stick with it, and you're rewarded greatly. It really does get better with every chapter (and every single chapter gives you a very distinct feeling, chapter 1 being dreary and barren, chapter 2 conveying despair, and then a huge contrast with 2 in chapter 3, chapter 4 magic, etc..), although the 4th was still by far my favorite for that magical feeling it gave. 

Loved the whole game, though, even with the kinda crappy prologue. The game wouldn't have been the same without it anyways. :P

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheChaos

Well then, I need to go reinstall and power through the first part if you're right. 
Thanks.