The Worst/Most Dissapointing Videogame Ending Ever?

• 146 results
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By Hunter5024

@arbitrarywater said:

@hunter5024 said:

Dragon Age 2's ending was pretty fuckin stupid.

But at least it's stupid and absurd in a way that is ironically entertaining. Anders blows up the chantry, expects you to forgive him, archmage guy resorts to blood magic like half the mages you encounter in the game, and of course the leader of the Templars is insane and uses anime powers to attack you with statues. And you leave Kirkwall knowing that you couldn't have fixed anything.

Mass Effect 3, by comparison, is just a wet fart of anticlimax.

Well when you put it that way...

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wickedfather said:

Does this include Anticlimatic? Yesterday I finished Call of Duty The Big Red One on the xbox Supremacy and the ending was the equivalent of you being asked to sharpen a pencil in the sharpener across the way. I seriously was jarred even though I knew the end was near. It puts Gears of War 2 on a "so you think you had it bad" plinth.

Really? I have some serious nostalgia for that game and enjoyed it when it was released. That said, it probably was bad and I don't remember the ending at all.

It was fun enough to play and was probably amazing in its day. The only mechanics that were bad were your own squad sometimes blocking doorways or cover, running directly into your line of fire then you getting the "Don't kill friendlies" thing and restarting the checkpoint. Your objectives weren't always signposted well enough and on a few bits I died repeatedly because of that.

I didn't engage with the emotional bits because I couldn't identify any of my team because of the blurry textures. Playing RGB through a 32 inch CRT. After a while I ran it through FlickerF*cker (nostalgia for anyone?) which sharpened things, making the guns as jaggy as hell but a lot easier to pick the enemies out of the background.

Nothing was made of the ending, it didn't do any escalation so when the swelling music kicked in I was a bit ehhh? You cross a bridge plant two explosives on some V2 rockets and then run back 30 feet and that's it. There were loads of bits that would have felt like a better ending earlier like storming all the bunkers.

Don't get me wrong, overall I liked it but it was a bit awwww, that could have been better when it ended.

Probably Max Payne 1 and The Red Star will be my next games. I've never played any of these old titles I'm wading through so won't have nostalgia goggles but don't judge anything against modern stuff. Most of them have actually been better than this gen's stuff unless they're shooters.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Sudeki, an original Xbox RPG. Seconds after you land the final blow on the final boss, the screen transitions to a puppet show thing that plays for about ten seconds, and roll to credits.

razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@catsakimbo: I remember playing that game, finished it at 2:00am and yelled, "WHAT THE GODDAMN FUCK ASS IS THIS!?!?!?

Needless to say my wife at the time was not impressed being woken up with my lunatic outburst

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By Pudge

@herbiebug said:

Halo 2 was pretty bad. It's a huge buildup to the conclusion, but instead of letting you play said conclusion it's all

Let's finish the fight...

...in the next game. ROLL CREDITS. T_____T

Loading Video...

I still feel driven to punch people whenever I see that. Especially since Halo 3 doesn't even start with you landing on Earth! Halo 2 in general is just such a bad followup to the first one, this was the icing on the pile of garbage.

Fallout 3 had a shitty ending.

At least they got to fix that ending with DLC. It's not that much better, but at least it makes sense now.

liangchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plants v.s. zombies 2.It makes me despair

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

OG FAllout 3, dumbest thing ever.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By cloudymusic

I recall the ending of Xenogears being a pretty big letdown.

Persona 2: IS's ending was a punch in the stomach (pretty much everything you had done for the entire game was meaningless) but I liked it for that, because it was so out of the ordinary. Combined with the fact that you don't even get any resolution until Eternal Punishment, I could see how that might piss off some people.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By kerse

Any full length game with a to be continued at the end is the worst ending I can think of.

The most recent game I can think of atm with an ending I really hated would be Assassin's Creed 3, the story in that game was all over the place so I guess I wasn't surprised how bad the ending was, but still pretty shitty after all the awesome Ezio games (even Revelations, it was not great but I still enjoyed it at least).

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Slaegar

@pudge said:

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

Fallout 3 had a shitty ending.

At least they got to fix that ending with DLC. It's not that much better, but at least it makes sense now.

Oh man the end of Fallout 3 with Fawkes was so good.

It was like they completely forgot that part in the main quest where they give you a companion for the sole purpose of him being immune to radiation so he can get your thingy. He basically told you to kill yourself at the end of the game before they fixed it with DLC.

I know Fallout 3 is old now, but I don't want to spoil it anyway.

dealwithit.jpg

Don't forget the ending to Half Life 2: Episode 2

The ending to Dark Souls was pretty bad too. You fight that really easy tiny babby man. I died more on the way to him than the actual fight. Then you catch on fire or you don't, the end.

Inb4 fan-rage

Final boss in the original Bioshock was goofy too.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say Zero Wing. In 2000, I had recently discovered emulation and the All Your Base meme was a big thing. I had to see if a game with an intro like that had an equally entertaining ending. Since this was pre-Youtube, I played through the whole game, and got this for my efforts:

Loading Video...
Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grand Theft Auto: The Lost and Damned. You kill most of the security guards and police in a prison to get to one inmate who plans to rat you out in exchange for witness protection with no consideration for the surveillance and witnesses. While trying to stop someone from incriminating you, you've realistically incriminated yourself.

ihateyouron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the ending of Demon's Souls to be pretty underwhelming, not the actual ending cinematic, but the "fight" before that (if you can even call it that).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gravity Rush was really amazing, but it completely stumbled with the ending. And, sadly, it brings the whole game down a notch (still love it though).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:

Indigo Prophecy for the ps2, also known as Fahrenheit in murica. I don't really remember the ending. All I remember is the game getting really really dumb towards the end and being disappointing, since the game starts out strong story wise, as strong as game stories and voice acting goes from games back then.

Hate to be that guy, but it was indigo prophecy in america and fahrenheit everywhere else.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@discoman:

Yep, I beat this again recently and just laughed when I re-realized that you see the end screen after beating Jason once. A more current game that had a shit ending was RAGE, very appropriate name. All that shit going on in-between the beginning and ending of that game and there was no ending, wtf?!

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space Marine. Not really the story ending, which was pretty standard 40K stuff, but the fact that the battle with this massive lord of chaos was turned into a shitty QTE. That game had the most satisfying combat up until that point.

I actually liked FF 13-2's ending, though I did just finish it a few weeks back, with Lighting Returns on the horizon, so I can see how it would suck if you played it right when it came out. But any ending in which Serah dies must be a good one.

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Tekken imo has awesome endings and a lot of em are funny too. So not all fighters have bad ones. But I dont know abotu ofthers like SF,Injustice, etc.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think most every Bioware game ends poorly. Then again, I think they are pretty lackluster at stories in general. They build fantastic characters and fantastic worlds, but I don't think I've ever cared about the story being told in any of their games. Maybe Dragon Age Origins.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Assassin's Creed 3 is a mixed case.

Connor's ending was satisfying.

Desmond's ending was HORRIBLE. Especially because they touted it as a conclusive ending to this 5 game long series and it basically ends on another cliffhanger.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redloopz said:

@hunkulese: Tekken imo has awesome endings and a lot of em are funny too. So not all fighters have bad ones. But I dont know abotu ofthers like SF,Injustice, etc.

To be fair though, the ending to the Scenario Campaign in Tekken 6 was absolute garbage.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RAGE, a million times Rage. I spent the whole level not using that new fucking gun because I was waiting for a boss and then it just ends.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pudge said:

@herbiebug said:

Halo 2 was pretty bad. It's a huge buildup to the conclusion, but instead of letting you play said conclusion it's all

Let's finish the fight...

...in the next game. ROLL CREDITS. T_____T

I still feel driven to punch people whenever I see that. Especially since Halo 3 doesn't even start with you landing on Earth!

...it...does? I'm pretty sure you hurtle out of that Forerunner space ship on...some slab of metal. Maybe a door or something? Either way, it imbeds the Chief into the ground slightly. Not saying the ending was great or anything but you do fall out of that ship, hence why Johnson and company go to pick your ass up in a jungle.

Unless you mean like, they should have had you start in the ship and then jump out as an intro. That would've been pretty cool.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How has no one said Star Wars the Force Unleashed 2. So many ways for that game to be amazing but the final boss and ending basically shit over everything that makes the first game greA in my opinion.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius: I did.

Force Unleashed II's endings were pretty poor. After an protracted and drawn out fight with Vader you get to pick either a light or dark ending.

The Light ending has you capturing Vader for the rebels and then you fly off into the distance with your girlfriend. Then in an obvious sequel bait Slave 1 appears in the wreckage of the imperial fleet you destroyed setting up another game .

The Dark side ending is a Dark-sided clone of Starkiller appears out of nowhere and kills you and everybody else. No explanation, just decloaks behind Starkiller and then stabs him and wipes out all the other rebels present, he then flies off in your spaceship.

ryvythed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1st Soul Reaver. A goddamn poem, after all that?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the ending of Demon's Souls to be pretty underwhelming, not the actual ending cinematic, but the "fight" before that (if you can even call it that).

And Dark Souls continued that proud tradition as well!

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

For whatever reason, and I can't honestly remember why, I thought the ending to Diablo II was very disappointing. I'm not talking the ending to the expansion, but the ending to the original game. I just felt so deflated and I think it was because while the cinematic was pretty (duh, Blizzard makes pretty cut scenes) I felt entirely detached from it. I think it was because I played the entire game and suddenly Tyrael was fighting at the end and it didn't even feel like my character was a part of the ending. I was pretty chuffed about it at the time. Especially considering the fact that I think the ending to the first Diablo is pretty damn cool, besides the fact that it shows a dude in the ending cinematic when I played the game as the Rogue, but I can deal with that small wrinkle.

Mass Effect 3 is a given, but the game did so much well, I can forgive it stumbling a bit at the goal line. And they did go back and amend it, so I will give a few points to them for the extended cut. HOWEVER, I will not preorder a Bioware game again as a result of both this and the disappointment that was Dragon Age 2. They need to earn back my trust a bit more before I come back to being a BW super fan like I was a few years ago.

Though I didn't play it, I watched my husband play all of AC3 and the ending was not great. Not the worst, but I can see why an AC fan may not like how it wrapped up.

Most games have pretty mediocre endings, so trying to think of more would be pretty easy. It's the truly great endings that I think are probably fewer and farther between.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Zirilius

@eternalvigil let me start off my three part apology by saying that was a well written post and I don't know how I missed.

I sincerely regret the harm this game has caused us and that only by working together can we spread awareness of this atrocity.

I'm sorry that through my actions you had to defend yours and I will try harder to ensure that it never happens again.

It had so many ways to good. In the good ending when you capture vader they could have made the Vader you captured a Starkiller clone or one of those droids who can appear as people.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably say Mass Effect 3. Not because of the actual game but the horrible response from the gaming community. I was disappointed in my peers after I finished it and saw the outpouring of hate that it inspired.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I would probably say Mass Effect 3. Not because of the actual game but the horrible response from the gaming community. I was disappointed in my peers after I finished it and saw the outpouring of hate that it inspired.

Well said . I agree .

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By EternalVigil

@zirilius said:

@eternalvigil let me start off my three part apology by saying that was a well written post and I don't know how I missed.

I sincerely regret the harm this game has caused us and that only by working together can we spread awareness of this atrocity.

I'm sorry that through my actions you had to defend yours and I will try harder to ensure that it never happens again.

It had so many ways to good. In the good ending when you capture vader they could have made the Vader you captured a Starkiller clone or one of those droids who can appear as people.

Don't worry it's fine.

I consider the Force Unleashed II the final nail in the coffin of my interest in Star Wars. When your story is even more nonsensical and busted than all the bad stuff in the prequels combined, you know you have a problem.

I really think having you fight Vader at the end was a mistake, as he was the second to last boss of the good (and final boss of the evil) path of the previous game, and in both you had already proven you were more than a match for him.

Honestly, trying to stick all this in the canon star wars timeline was getting to messy, and there wasn't really a easy way to go after the ending of the first game. Might of been better, and more interesting if they had gone full on into the "What if" timeline and fleshed out and made a stronger story around how the original trilogy would have played out if Starkiller had taken Vader's place. I know they covered a lot of that in the DLC for both games, but it was only the highlights and not really a complete narrative.

If the only thing I could change as the ending, I'd probably make it a Starkiller vs evil clone starkiller fight, or throw the twist in there and have the original starkiller come back and Vader tricking both of them into fighting each other as he made his escape.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I know the sales numbers were super low and that's why it's not getting mentioned here, but Shadows of the Damned has such an awful non-ending that I cannot understand why that game is beloved by anybody. The ending that fades to black is bizarre and unfulfilling; the ending that comes on after the fade to black is incoherent and unfulfilling. And before either of those, the fake credits roll ending is unfulfilling as well. Seriously, did I skip a cutscene after the fade to black that makes that last dinner scene comprehensible? 'Cause seriously, I've never seen an ending that let me down so much.

(...it doesn't help that there's not really anything good in the game left once you've hit "TASTE MY BIG BONER" in 4-1 and there's a good 2-3 hours left of the game, either)

9999dmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The back-half / endings of Indigo Prophecy were such a let down and felt rushed / lazy. I had such high hopes for that game in the beginning, story-wise.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized i'm -still- butt hurt about the ME3 endings. Even the after the extended cuts and the DLC that kinda fleshed it out more. Fuck them for not doing that the first time.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending to The Witch's House I felt was a horrible ending. It wasn't JUST a downer, which in itself is enough to make me hate an ending, but it went the extra mile to make it as horrible and sadistic as it could possibly be. It disturbed me so much that I couldn't get to sleep easily for a few days because I couldn't stop thinking about how awful and horrifying it was.

As for big budget games, I know it has probably already been said before (and was probably beaten to death), but I really dislike the ending to Mass Effect 3. None of the choices are very satisfying, and you're just left feeling kind of bitter after you beat it. It destroyed any drive I had to replay the series, and even with the extended cut (Which improved them, thankfully), I still dislike it. Given how character heavy the game was, it's just very disappointing that the game gives absolutely no closure to anyone in the squad, it just ends very abruptly after the final choice - you don't get to see the impact of what you did at all.

Alan Wake was another game that had an ending I absolutely hated. I was really loving the story, and then SOMETHING happened, and it ended. I have no idea at all what happened at the end, I was left feeling very frustrated and confused. The story before that was so fun, and this was just... Ugh...

Edit: Oh! Someone mentioned Dragon Age 2!

That ending was absolutely ridiculous. I HATED the fact that if you side with the mages, the leader uses blood magic AND PROVES THE TEMPLARS DAMN POINT! It's like... Well, geez, she's a bitch, but Meredith's right, YOU ARE ALL FREAKING BLOOD MAGES! Seriously, I must have been the ONLY non-blood mage in that entire stupid city.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#138  Edited By Rebel_Scum
@monkeyking1969 said: The first Tomb Raider.
Yeah I came here to post about this. You go through an epic game with great cutscenes only to have that for an ending.
Loading Video...
Have to say I'm surprised there are people out there that didn't like Bioshock Inifinites ending.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@jimmyfenix: GodDAMN! That ending is still such a cocktease. Whoever has the Psi Ops license needs to quit fucking around and get a sequel in my hands NOW!

Also, my vote goes to Assassin's Creed III. Fucking HORRIFIC ending. HORRIFIC!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Ravenlight

Homefront. Everything about that game is the worst.

The ending cutscene would be the climactic turning point about 2/3 through any other game but the devs gave no shits about the bomb they were making and called it quits there.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it was those NES games that were tough as hell. You finally get to the ending and you see a black screen and the word, "Congratulations." That is all.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo 2 and Fallout 3.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest I can think of was probably in gravity rush wich were so antiklimatic that I almost couldn't belive my eyes when the credits started to roll. Pretty good game though.

Otherwise I'd probably say Mass effect 3, yes obvious but after playing through and loving the series that ending just came as a punch in the face.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Cameron's Avatar: The Game

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

@masterrain said:

The ending to MGS2. Jack is just standing in a busy street, people not GIVING A FUCK about the ship that just crashed into the city, and snake and rose (who is completely forgiven and treated like she wasn't faking all along wtf) give Raiden some speech that makes no sense and roll credits. Why aren't people freaking out about either Arsenal gear crashing, the sword fight, or these clowns dressed in skin tight battle suits speaking in riddles. Also didn't snake dive after metal gear Ray, wtf happened to Ray, how'd he swim to shore and find Raiden!? The ending is pure unintelligible bullshit madness. I should mention I love the other metal gear solid games.

Fuck.... I was gonna say this one too. I could not believe that they just kept talking and talking and talking. Giving some bullshit speech about kids and the future or some shit. Fucking Kojima has to be the worst storyteller in modern times. I really really think he just puts batshit crazy stuff in there for no reason and tries to fit a story around it.

MGS2 came out just after the 9/11 attacks, Kojima originally had the ending more planned out and developed than what shipped to stores as a result of the attacks.

Originally AG crashed into the Statue of Liberty, completely destroying it, then crashing into Lower Manhattan and eventually end up where the game ends... You can tell by the lack of explanation on how Raiden and Solidus somehow end up on the roof of the build (totally blanking on the exact building) this was scrapped out of respect for the victims of the tragedy, as the attacks affected the part of the city of which the ending takes place in...

As for my most disappointing/worst ending?

RAGE

Never have I felt a game be so anti-climatic of an ending that I literally said out loud "That's it!?" when the credits started rolling...

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leych: that game was just awful all around another great franchise turned into COD without the guns.

im surprised so many hate the bioshock infinite ending! I thought it was amazing! the worst ending is on an old arcade game where you beat the boss and then it tells you it was all a lie and you have to beat the game again to see the real ending god that game was frustrating.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Homefront!

The game was dire enough, but then it just ended with the fight on the bridge. It was as if they ran out of time and money, or just thought "sod this" and went home early.

Loading Video...