There will be more Challenge Coins on sale tomorrow

#1 Edited by Rorie (5867 posts) -

We are planning on throwing a couple hundred more of the 10-year Anniversary Challenge Coin tomorrow at 2 PM Pacific! These will go quick and may not be restocked after they sell out, so if you missed out on the first ordering window this is your best bet to get one. Check store.giantbomb.com around 2 PM and they'll be up until they sell out!

Staff
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#2 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1405 posts) -

And tomorrow is payday. Coincidence?!

#3 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (775 posts) -

You shan't escape me this time, Challenge Coin.

#4 Posted by MATATAT (1225 posts) -

Does it come with instructions on how to challenge someone, and what I should be challenging them to exactly?

#5 Posted by Rorie (5867 posts) -

@matatat said:

Does it come with instructions on how to challenge someone, and what I should be challenging them to exactly?

I meant to write something more descriptive for the item description but time escaped me when they originally went on sale!

Staff
#6 Edited by BladeOfCreation (1405 posts) -

@matatat: In the military, the way it works is that when you're out drinking and you flash your coin, everyone else shows theirs. If your coin was issued by someone of a higher rank than everyone else's, everyone buys you a drink. Coins are traditionally made and issued at the battalion level and above. That is to say, if your coin was given to you by a full colonel or a general, you're certainly better off than those issued by a battalion commander (usually a lieutenant colonel). For the record, during my nearly six years on active duty in the 00s, I never ACTUALLY saw this sort of thing happen. I'd hear stories about it from guys who served during the 80s, though.

Clearly what this means, as far as we're concerned, is that when a bunch of duders and duderettes are out at the bar during PAX, and one of those plebes from www.averagebomb.com flashes THEIR challenge coin, we flash ours and they have to buy us drinks.

#7 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4499 posts) -

They call it a challenge coin because it's a challenge to get your hands on one. heyoooo...

#8 Posted by Otacon (2337 posts) -

Thanks Rorie!

#9 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7649 posts) -

@matatat said:

Since we are an unranked organization, a simple rules should be simple. A person draws his/her coin, slapping the coin on the table in small congregation of people. Everyone at the table being challenged must immediately produce a coin for GB (or a coin for their organization) and anyone failing to do so must buy a roundof drinks for the challenger and everyone else who has their challenge coin. However, should everyone challenged be able to produce their coin, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for the group.

And, of course expect that people will have NO CLUE what you are talking about and will laugh at you for demanding a drink- even when you are at PAX or some gaming event.

#10 Posted by Rorie (5867 posts) -

These will go on sale around 45 minutes from now!

Staff
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7838 posts) -

Oh man, forgot about these. Thanks for the heads up!

#12 Edited by BladeOfCreation (1405 posts) -

Me when the challenge coins first went on sale: Cool, but I don't need it.

Last week when more went on sale: Well I get paid on Friday, if there's any left I'll grab one!

Today: Just pulled up to my apartment, but waiting in my car with the page pulled up on my phone because if I go in now I won't have time to get set up on my PC.

#13 Posted by Xealot42 (422 posts) -

It appears to be re-stocked!

#14 Posted by ItsTyler (29 posts) -

Got an order in. Woo. (:

#15 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1405 posts) -

Got one! Thanks for the updates, Rorie!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7838 posts) -

All right! I got one. Now I can throw down and challenge with the best of duders.

#17 Posted by DoctorTran (1619 posts) -

Oh heck yeah! Challenge Coin acquired!

#18 Posted by fattony12000 (8535 posts) -

Aaaaaaaand...it's over, duder!

#19 Posted by FlashFlood_29 (4452 posts) -

Wow, woke up from my nap and they're already gone.

#20 Posted by Gameraotaku (18 posts) -

Cool. Sat refreshing the page on my phone at work from 2pm to 2:05pm. Showed as out of stock every time. Had to help a customer and 10 minutes later they are still sold out but people are posting they got an order in. WTF?

#21 Edited by WelshCleats (123 posts) -

I got one in my cart, had to deal with something at work, came back to checkout a few minutes later and got a message saying they were sold out :(

#22 Posted by asarihobbes (23 posts) -

Is there no way to just do another pre-order? I understand a window of time, but yeah, I get the email, and by the time I check, it's gone. Like Satan! :(

I'm not saying there's not a good reason, but for people who've followed for years and want to purchase the item, it just seems silly to feel like we're playing-out the water scene at the beginning of Fury Road. (Oh, man, that's pretty good!) Anywaze! I assume there's an actual reason. But I don't have to like it! But I do like Giant Bomb. So much so, I'm gonna buy me a commemorative coin to show my admiration! *checks order page* *kicks single red sneaker in the dirt*

"Be surrre . . . to drink. . . your. . . Ovaltine?" Son of a bitch! Dude on Ebay promised me the coin was authentic!

(Okay, I'm done.)

#23 Edited by Dourin (295 posts) -

As I said in another thread, it's especially a bummer they went on sale during normal, 9-5 work hours. Some of us don't have free access to internet at work, much less the ability to make personal purchases while on the clock. As a coin enthusiast, I was really hoping to be able to grab one of these. Here's hoping they come back again at a reasonable time of day.

Avatar image for giant_frying_pan
#24 Posted by giant_frying_pan (109 posts) -

I was there on time, refreshing the store every other minute, got it in the basket, filled in my non-US card details and...

...sold out :(

#25 Edited by ripelivejam (13226 posts) -

@bladeofcreation: And I'm trying to curb my spending overall. Double coincidence. :(

e: Guess I don't have to worry about that! haha

#26 Posted by theuprightman (232 posts) -

Missed it, can we not just have another preorder window? I was waiting for pay day too

#28 Posted by Otacon (2337 posts) -

Dang it, missed it again.

#29 Posted by Sessh (3405 posts) -

The window to order as well as the number of available items is stupid. This should not be a god damn NES Mini situation.

#30 Posted by DoctorTran (1619 posts) -

Mother fucker. Tracking says it was delivered to my mailbox yesterday, went to check and it was not there...

#32 Posted by DoctorTran (1619 posts) -

This is insane. I just got a call from a coworker of mine who lives across town. Apparently she was out walking her dog and found some discarded mail on the side of the street. One of the things she found was the package my coin was sent in. Someone fucking jacked my mail!