They're making a, uh...Starship Troopers RTS?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1 rorie  Staff

If you told me that the Starship Troopers franchise would still be kicking 22 years after that movie came out I would've called you a liar; if you told me they'd be making an RTS in 2020 I'd have slapped you in the face. (I know people are still making RTS games but it feels like they're pretty rare?) Anyway this looks like it's taking some pretty obvious inspiration from They Are Billions (which I really need to go back and get through the campaign of), which is fine, but the gameplay teaser looks pretty uninspiring, which is a shame.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think there was another Starship Troopers RTS a few yeras (possibly decades...) ago?

This also reminds me that they did a third (?) live action movie with Casper van Dien a few years (again, probably closer to decades...) ago that was surprisingly okay and was a lot more faithful to the novel. Wonder how many more happened in between then and now.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heinlein has been dead for 35 years and his wife for about 20. I wonder who gets the royalties for this IP?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 70

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I think it looks pretty neat. My biggest issue with They Are Billions is that I don't like its setting at all, but Starship Troopers does seem like a good fit for those mechanics. Hopefully it's not a straight up clone like that Conan thing was, but brings something slightly different to the table, can't say I enjoyed the way they handled resource collection and building placement in TAB.

It's also not the first Starship Troopers RTS they've made, there was a Ground Control-esque one in 2000, this does seem to do a better job at evoking the scale of the battles in Verhoeven's movie though. I wonder what, if anything they bring in from the movie sequels though, they were all pretty bad, though ST2 had some decent body horror and ST3 had that kinda amazing anthem.

I'll say I vastly prefer a traditional kind of RTS over the TAB style survival RTSes, especially the Warzone 2100 style ones that had persistence between missions, but I'll probably pick this up.

Oh, just noticed it's a Slitherine title. Their games are a bit pricy for what they are, but they're a very good strategy game developer and publisher.

Looks like the same development studio as have made the Order of Battle games, as well as utilizing what looks like Close Combat's line of sight system, now I'm pretty intrigued.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Not really surprised. Starship Troopers as a franchise is still "alive and well" (sort of), with the last movie being only a couple years old. There is nothing compared to the first movie, both in terms of quality and success, but its being kicking Besides, the first movie is over 20 years old, so I guess it qualifies as nostalgia now.

The genre is also predictable. In fact, I remember there being an RTS game some years ago (with wasn't that bad, as far as I recall), and I think the combat scenarios lends itself to that kind of "holds against hordes of enemies until a timer runs out" pretty well...

However, I do agree that it looks extremely generic.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still really like that first movie. If they did the whole FMV cutscenes with that tone and had some decent gameplay I could see this being a good idea tbh.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a younger person I would basically replay the "defend this base until help arrives" mission in StarCraft (and then make my own) over and over because I loved Starship Troopers so much and it reminded me of that. But yes, this does look about as generic as possible. Could be saved by quality FMV work, but I'm not holding my breath that they would either happen or be the right kind of good.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 32

But will there be a shower scene?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I just came here to say that Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles was awesome.

Also this is a weird game to make in 2020.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I get the significance of the movie in pop-culture, really I do, but the movies totally does not encompass the warfare from the book - that is sad. The book was all about mobile infantry, i.e soldiers in power armor. In Heinlein vision the power armor has the attributes in combat of Abrams tank that could jump 500 yards in the air and land without stopping. That warfare tactics in the books were closer to that of a squadron of AH-64 Apache helicopters that were technically 25 years away in reality.

That is the sort of RTS I'd like to see, one where the basic unit is not WW I style infantryman in a tench but rather the mobile infantry as envisioned by Heinlein.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

When I was a younger person I would basically replay the "defend this base until help arrives" mission in StarCraft (and then make my own) over and over because I loved Starship Troopers so much and it reminded me of that. But yes, this does look about as generic as possible. Could be saved by quality FMV work, but I'm not holding my breath that they would either happen or be the right kind of good.

This is amazing, I did the same thing. I eventually made a custom map that started out with maximum Marines on a platform with a few ramps and have it surrounded by Mutalisks(sp?) and just play that over and over so I don't have to wait for a build up.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Someone already mentioned it but there was a Starship Troopers RTS where you were in a squad of four to six Troopers in armored suits taking on the bugs. In later CGI movies of Starship Troopers the story continues with several of the characters from the first movies being just a few years older and by then everyone has Armored Suits. Also the movie blatantly subverts everything about the book and makes a point to reverse every potential message it may have so for the sake of Verhoeven's vision that instead of a single trooper in armored gorilla suit taking out hundreds of bugs it would be the other way around so the director can turn a story about the odd and uncomfortable facets of war into a predictable anti-war movie.