• 79 results
#51 Posted by Justin258 (15548 posts) -

@gundato: Nope. I thought it sucked in The Witcher 3 as well. I actively went looking for a mod that got rid of it in TW3, though I don't remember if I ever found one.

#52 Posted by afabs515 (2005 posts) -

Dying and finding out that the game didn't autosave after the last X objectives I completed or loading into a new area. Last night, I was playing The Witcher 3, and did two or three monster nests in quick succession, only to die right after finishing the third. The game reloaded in a state prior to me doing the first nest, even though I fast traveled between a few of them. It was only a 10 minute loss of time, but there's nothing worse to me than feeling like I wasted time. I really wish open world games at this point would adopt the Dark Souls model of autosaving every few steps. I was able to change the autosave interval in The Witcher 3 to once every 3 minutes, but even that seems too long at this point.

#53 Posted by csl316 (14925 posts) -

When I can't play an FPS game effectively by shooting from the hip, and then forcing me to use iron sights instead of a simple zoom. That really gripes me.

#54 Posted by TheRealTurk (420 posts) -

When a game has a million unskippable "powered by" screens up front. On the one hand, I get it. Someone worked hard on whatever tech is running under the hood and they want people to know about it.

On the other hand, I don't think many people who aren't active developers are going to give a shit. I'm sure your little lighting engine in cool and all, but you want to know what's cooler? Actually playing the damn game I paid money for.

#55 Posted by HansBak (26 posts) -

Bad controls and ingame chats, especially in games with no team option

#56 Posted by MoonlightMoth (644 posts) -

RPGs where armour is just a number rather than something you actually wear and see on your character. That, and when RPGs have tons of loot but they are all palette swaps or incredibly minor alterations on each other.

#58 Posted by lead_dispencer (532 posts) -

I’m glad to see Mario tennis patched that annoying retry part into the game. The other thing I was reminded of is when large game maps don’t allow you to sort the icons on the legend. Where you have a Ubisoft level of map icons I want to sort some of that shit!

#60 Posted by catoasapun (79 posts) -

When a game in a series removes features from earlier games that didnt need to be removed or changed. There's a lot of examples of this in Assassin's Creed and I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that there are different teams working on each game, but it's still annoying.

#61 Posted by Seikenfreak (1482 posts) -

When you can't shoot through a chain link fence or other fence types with a lot of space for things to pass through. Like two wood posts with some rope between them. I guess that isn't really irrational.

When Nintendo doesn't let you remap the controls in Mario Kart 8*, thus making it unplayable. F**k off Nintendo. (*can only vouch for Wii-U version)

Games that don't let you get into the Options until you've already gone through some whole intro sequence. You don't understand! I must get in there and make sure its set to surround sound/Home Theater dynamic range! Now we've potentially wasted this big intro cinematic in poor, bottom-feeder-stereo mode! (and that option is pretty much never there anyway) And once you've seen it, that magic is gone and its not worth watching it again. (Actually, they should just add that sound mode toggle in there anyway, just because some placebo effect in my mind makes me feel like it makes a difference when it seems like it never does anything)

#62 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7085 posts) -

Cute characters. I don't know when or why, but something in me broke and I can't stand 99% of these types of characters anymore. But I think it's a specific kind of cute. The Handler in Monster Hunter World I would describe as cute, but I don't have a problem with her. Nintendo games like Mario, BotW, and Splatoon among others are all games I would say that generally include plenty of cute characters and they'll fine with me too. They're usually great even.

No, the type of "cute" I hate is generally the type of cute that feels like it was focused-tested to hell, like the characters were spit out by some computer algorithm of shit a lot of otaku find appealing. It's why I love Guilty Gear but despise some of the newer characters like Elphelt and Jack-O and why i also hate the majority of the Blazblue cast. Dizzy and May had a certain spark to them that make them feel unique so they never really bothered me. In fact, I always thought Dizzy was one of the most striking characters in fighting games because she's just fucking weird. Maybe if they both came out now, I would feel different, but it's impossible to say for sure.

It's why I despise pretty much every romantic interest in Persona 5. They all feel like they were laser-focused to appeal to some specific fetish people have first and foremost and then given a story later.

I dunno, it's kinda hard to explain. I just feel like there's a "harmless cute" and a "cute" that's designed to be very very pandering and it feels like more and more games (and anime...) are fucking diving headfirst into that latter bit.

#63 Posted by Sweep (10545 posts) -

Clipping in animated cut-scenes. If the camera is locked and the models are locked then how is that shit being approved? Why is that shoulder piece intersecting with the characters face? Why?

#64 Posted by Shiftygism (810 posts) -

Bullshit trophy requirements, especially level grinds in tacked on online modes which have an extremely short shelf life.

#65 Posted by Kamui97 (111 posts) -

I have the opposite problem, at our old place the tv caught terrible glare really easily during the day, so the darker the game the harder it became to see anything. And like witcher 3, which supplied it's own glare when bright and became pitch black in caves was just a nightmare to play comfortably. Same with the last Batman game. Everything in that game was just differing shades of dark and darker, so if there was any glare at all I was badically blind and had to put it down.

My other gripe is that a lot of games have shrunk their text to such a small font that it's almost illegible without glasses. 2k and p5 were the biggest offenders with this

#66 Posted by Relkin (1097 posts) -

Irrational gripes? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it doesn't seem like anyone else in this thread is listing something they dislike irrationally, so I'll chime in with something that just drives me up the wall.

Pauses in conversation; you know, when the next audio track is loading up. There are these gaps, these beats in conversations that make even well written and delivered dialog fall flat. Not natural pauses from one sentence to another, but those weird, just-too-long breaks in between two characters responses, whether it be a BIoware game or one of Telltale's works. The only game that I can think of that doesn't have this issue is Oxenfree.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
#67 Posted by BladeOfCreation (1222 posts) -

You get captured and have to go find all of your hear again. When you rescue captured NPCs and they didn't bother to change the character models, so they're wearing all of their armor/weapons.

#71 Posted by zzzzombi (30 posts) -

I really hate it when a game takes too long to just quit. The worst offenders are the games that makes you go back to the title screen, confirm that you want to go back to the title screen, wait through slow fade-outs and fade-ins and company logos, choose to exit again, an lastly confirm that you want to exit. Even if it doesn't take more than a few seconds it just infuriates me that I can't quit immediately from inside the gameplay.

I hated the first Darksiders for this. Both getting into and quitting was such a chore every damn time. The title screen had an animation and a cool sound effect which would stay cool if it only played the first few times.

#72 Posted by poppari (6 posts) -

Accelerating movement speed when you start moving, at least when using a keyboard.

Also, not being able to turn as fast as I want. Being able to spin around in place often means a game places gameplay before having smooth animations.

#75 Posted by wollywoo (220 posts) -

Games with fast, difficult challenges where when you die you're rewarded with a big "TOO BAD" or similar screen displaying for more than a few seconds. JUST LET ME TRY AGAIN INSTANTLY AARGH! Super Meat Boy has the right idea.

#77 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7437 posts) -

I hate when a game could give you a choice because it has SOME mechanics like that, but thenthe games doesn't give you a choice at all. And, yes, I admit that can be irrational at times.

I dislike in an RPG when they game sets upiu on teh path of the "life & death struggle" right off the bat. Most RPGs have side quests but when they "big bad" is revealed as being so threaning so early in the game it drains away the joy of spending your time on swide issues. I like when a game realize they CAN ramp up the importance & context of they quest over time; so that only at the halfway point does the full implications of cosmic horror reveal themselves. That way you as a player/character can enjoy the first half of the game without "the world ending" getting in the way of finding lost ducklings!

#78 Posted by ajamafalous (13809 posts) -

All of the things I dislike are completely rational.