• 164 results
#1 Posted by KingBonesaw (1355 posts) -

In light of the most recent episode of Game Tapes, an episode that heavily featured everyone's favourite handheld, the Game Boy Advance SP, I decided to dig out my brother's old SP that I used to play and take a look at why I despise this system.

Look at how cool this system is, it folds
Look at how cool this system is, it folds

I never had any problems with the original GBA but was open to the idea of a newer model. All I hear is how amazing the SP is because of the backlight and how the clamshell design was so smart because how could the screen possibly be destroyed.

Play. The. Game.
Play. The. Game.

A system that is designed to protect the screen is literally the only handheld system my family owned that ended up having a broken screen. I've owned every Game Boy at some point in time and aside from losing the battery cover on my GBA I've never had any problems with any other system.

So in order to make this interesting, let's hear about something related to video games that you hate but seemingly everyone else adores.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
#2 Edited by deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1 (1777 posts) -

I hate COD4 even when it was released. It ruined alot of my favorite FPS games when devs saw the money they copied there gameplay and dumbed them down it ruined the Battlefield Series, F.E.A.R. 2 and 3, Crysis 2 and 3.

#3 Posted by Stonyman65 (3799 posts) -

Final Fantasy, Zelda, Nintendo games and hardware in general since the N64 days, Rainbox Six Siege, Titanfall, Bethesda's Fallout games (hate them but I still play them for a few hundred hours). The game industry in general has turned out to be a really shitty place, Giant Bomb being one of the few good things left...

#4 Posted by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

I found out today John Wick.

#5 Posted by Ericjasonwade (377 posts) -

Not the biggest fan of Mario.

#6 Posted by BaconHound (281 posts) -

Kids in the Hall. I laugh at all kinds of dumb shit, but the way people fawn over that show baffles me. I've never seen a single clip that even made me smile.

#7 Edited by Sinusoidal (3608 posts) -

@baconhound: Blasphemy!

Loading Video...

I hate online FPSes. I think it has to do with binging DOOM on a LAN back in the early 90s. Besides a bit of Quake 2, I haven't really gotten into one since, and now actively wish more of them would fail miserably so developers would put more time and energy into interesting single player campaigns.

#8 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4169 posts) -

icecream. The water-based stuff is okay, but i hate cream.

#9 Edited by bondfish (142 posts) -

Undertale, its boring and didn't tell you the mechanics how to play, also the Hotland level is one of the most annoying levels in video game history, more annoying than Simon's Quest with the text boxes

#10 Posted by Gantrathor (298 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII, the Gothic series, Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid 2, pixel art. Also, my feelings on Zelda games post Ocarina of Time have ranged from bored indifference (Wind Waker) to absolute disdain (Twilight Princess).

#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (3555 posts) -

Dark Souls does nothing for me. I've tried to like it many times and it just never clicks. I don't like the focus on repetition and being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse. I also find the worldbuilding and fill-in-the-blanks narrative completely uninteresting. (I did enjoy Load Our Last Souls a whole lot, though)

Oddly, I quite liked what I played of Bloodborne despite it being largely the same sort of game...I appreciated the emphasis on faster combat and the setting and lore were a lot more compelling.

#12 Edited by pompouspizza (1552 posts) -

I think coriander tastes horrific and hate that over the last few years it has become the "it" herb. I also really dislike Jazzpunk.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#13 Posted by hippie_genocide (2417 posts) -
  • Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - they just played this on UPF which is why it's on my mind. The start of the game is sooo slow that I can never make it into the meat of the game and it never hooks me.
  • Bangai-O - it gets praised as this great bullet hell shmup but I just never liked it at all. I can't really articulate why or maybe I just don't remember.
  • Resident Evil 4? - Ok, I don't hate it. But I don't love it. It's a good game, but not a great one and certainly not best all time type of game.
#14 Posted by Nightriff (7193 posts) -

Jazzpunk was fucking terrible after the first level.

Tales from the Borderlands, thought it was mediocre. Bought it because everyone seemed to really love it.

Limbo, Cibele, Jazzpunk all fucking bad games

#15 Posted by Shiftygism (852 posts) -

The Borg aspect of Star Trek: First Contact.

From Picard's skin bulging nightmare, to his arguments with Worf regarding the Enterprise's destruction, to him entering a Queen's hive in order to rescue a character in which he shared a paternal bond, it's clear Braga and Moore blatantly rehashed a great deal of Jim Cameron's Aliens for the second TNG film.

#16 Posted by Dichemstys (3921 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII. Maybe it was a time and place thing but I played 8 and 9 way before I played 7 and it didn't hold up at all for me.

#17 Posted by PeteyCoco (273 posts) -

There Will Be Blood. None of the characters or their stories were that interesting to me and it felt very self-indulgent. Its a movie that really made me want my time back.

#18 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

Hate is a strong word, but FFXV is definitely up there for me. Whenever I hear people talk about how good the story was, how much they liked the main characters, how awesome the villain was, how interesting the open-world/side-missions were, or how amazing the combat was, I feel like I must have played the wrong game. In almost every aspect except for visuals and sound, I think it's a bad to mediocre game that gets a pass because they slapped Final Fantasy on the box. And nowhere is that more evident than in the fact that they clearly cut content (...or just didn't add it because reasons?) to sell back to players, but everyone is like "ah yeah, fucking awesome, can't wait!" Like...that is the thing people have been giving the Ubisofts and EAs of the world shit for for the better part of a decade now, but Square Enix does it and now everyone is all excited? The fuck?

Outside of MGS5, this is by far the most blatantly rushed, unfinished story I've seen in a game in ages, but like no one is calling them out on it. Instead, it's being heralded as some great return of the franchise and I'm sitting here feeling like I live in fucking bizarro world.

Oh god, I'm getting started again...

#19 Posted by Teddie (2109 posts) -

Outside of MGS5, this is by far the most blatantly rushed, unfinished story I've seen in a game in ages, but like no one is calling them out on it. Instead, it's being heralded as some great return of the franchise and I'm sitting here feeling like I live in fucking bizarro world.

Or you just didn't play FFXIII. Seriously, even with all its flaws XV is a masterpiece in comparison to that thing.

I don't get the people who say the story is good though. That's just silly.

#20 Posted by liquiddragon (3281 posts) -

@babychoochoo: wait, who's saying the story was good? that is news to me. I started a thread asking if I should watch Kingsglaive and Brotherhood 'cause I got the game like a month after everyone and literally no one had anything positive to say about the story.

#21 Edited by BrunoTheThird (824 posts) -

The Last of Us' storytelling. It is often cited as the pinnacle of storytelling in the medium. It isn't. The characters are very good, and I enjoy the gameplay despite some design quirks, but it's quite a boring plotline. A tiring mish-mash of better stories (The Road, Children of Men, I Am Legend). It deserves recognition, I love Joel and Ellie, but when I hear people gush to the degree they do about the story, when there have been other impressive instances of storytelling in games that stood out (Sands of Time, Planescape: Torment, Half-Life 2 possibly) it confuses me, and makes me wonder if they remember those other great games, or if The Last of Us is so fresh in our memories that it's on a higher podium than it would be amid those other classics, if they came out more regularly/closer together. I just disagree and think there are better examples, and kinda hate it. Not really though.

-

About FFXV, I liked the simplistic buddy-movie storytelling through the first eight or nine chapters, but it begins to fracture once you get on the train. It kind of implodes in a bizarre way that rubbed me wrong. It ain't great. I preferred the minimalist approach. Vivienne Westwood though... fucking christ, the cringe was violent.

#22 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Well, maybe not here lol. After I beat it though, I decided to browse Reddit and read some reviews, and I saw a lot more people praising the story than I would have ever expected. Like...a lot. It's impossible to say whether that represented a majority opinion, but it certainly felt like more people thought it was good than those who did not.

#23 Posted by captain_max707 (671 posts) -

I've never liked the Battlefield games. I can't stand how the movement and shooting feel, and there isn't much more to the strategy than Call of Duty (I like Call of Duty and Titanfall, but Battlefield games have these huge maps and don't do much with them). My go-to big multiplayer games are the Red Orchestra games.

#24 Posted by csl316 (14946 posts) -

Journey and Resident Evil 4 are both kind of bad.

#25 Posted by bobeta (62 posts) -

Nightmare Before Christmas or anything else Tim

Burton. Tack on all the Adult Swim "weird for being weird" crap. It's all awful.

#26 Edited by dr_monocle (391 posts) -

Doing your taxes.

Everyone's always like "Oh, Dr. Monocle, do your taxes. It's 5 outta 5 stars. Get that 'Refund' DLC."

And I'm over here all:

Maybe not...

#27 Edited by Sanj (3246 posts) -

I don't like Deadly Premonition. Never have, never will. I like Swery, though.

#28 Posted by jay_ray (1569 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Well, maybe not here lol. After I beat it though, I decided to browse Reddit and read some reviews, and I saw a lot more people praising the story than I would have ever expected. Like...a lot. It's impossible to say whether that represented a majority opinion, but it certainly felt like more people thought it was good than those who did not.

Well that's your problem, looking at Reddit is never a good idea.

#29 Posted by tyn0mite (142 posts) -

Skyrim. I played it when it came out but now after trying time and time again to go back I have realized I cannot. I can't get over the mechanics of the combat or something.

#30 Edited by DeepSpace9MM (212 posts) -

Do people like Borderlands 2, because I really don't like Borderlands 2.

#31 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (3013 posts) -

@tyn0mite said:

Skyrim. I played it when it came out but now after trying time and time again to go back I have realized I cannot. I can't get over the mechanics of the combat or something.

I have a weird relationship with Bethesda games. My first instinct is to say I love them, but I grow fatigued with them in a way I don't with other games I love. I've played every Bethesda game since Oblivion (plus Fallout New Vegas) and I've done every single thing in each game. I ended up putting between 150-250 hours into each of those games. They get a major grip on me to the point where I spend all my free time for weeks after they release playing them.

However, I have never once been able to get more than 5-10 hours into a second playthrough of any Bethesda game without burning out, which is very out of the ordinary for me. I pretty much always end up playing games I love multiple times and enjoy them every time. There are many games, often lengthy ones, that I've played over half a dozen times (Mass Effect series, multiple Zelda games, Chrono Trigger, Mario 64) and tons more I've played at least twice.

Even in my 5th, 8th, 10th playthrough of Ocarina of Time or Mass Effect 2 I still thoroughly enjoy the game, but I can't stomach a second playthrough of a Bethesda game, no matter how much I thought I enjoyed the first playthrough.

#32 Posted by giantmidget999 (85 posts) -

Humans

#33 Posted by Strangestories (424 posts) -

Zelda games. Liked Windwaker but really disliked every other I've played.

#34 Posted by burncoat (543 posts) -

Pickles. Olives.

The term "Soulsborne." I've mentioned this before in another thread but I think naming half of an entire list of games made by the same developer that previously had the same name scheme is ridiculous. It's like naming the entire category of Megaman games "MegaNo.9" or "MightyMan" because it's a similar game made by the same person. You can say "Bloodborne is a Souls-game/Souls-like" you can't say "Demon's Souls is a Bloodborne-game/Bloodborne-like." If you're already describing a game to somebody that might understand what "Souls-like" means, chances are they already include Bloodborne in that umbrella. The entire name scheme is premature and would be fine if there were multiple entries with the "-borne" name. As it is, it's incredibly stupid to me.

#35 Posted by DevvyBoyyy (195 posts) -

The Saints Row series, with the slight exception of 3, is an unending garbage-fest.

It's terrible from top to bottom, it tries SO HARD to be funny, it plays like garbage, the characters are bad. It's like the South Park of video games, which, by the way, is also bad. Not as bad Saints Row, but bad for sure.

And to the person who said Skyrim early, I agree.

#36 Posted by poobumbutt (950 posts) -

@bobeta: Ugh. You can say that again. "This Is Halloween" is certifiably radical, but I really dislike that movie. Maybe because it was heralded as the pinnacle of "weird genius" when I was at high school. Ah. Flashbacks.

Mine is probably the ending of Bioshock Infinite. Nobody believes me when I say that I called the Hell out of the final plot twist (the one having to do with Booker) when I was barely halfway through the game. Normally, being able to tell where a story will go won't sour me on it immediately. But it just seemed so damn proud of itself, like, "yeah... I just went there." Some of the hate comes from the amount of praise it seems to get (the Vinny/Flower problem), but also just its legit execution.

Like, when you make your last twist a pretty common that-kinda-story trope AND use it as the mic drop to literally END THE GAME on, I feel my hatred for having called it that early is a little more justified.

I also just hate Elizabeth, at least as a companion character. Playing through that game on normal difficulty, I never felt the need to use her powers to get weapons/items once. She didn't feel like my combat buddy, she felt like a plot device. Sorry, Austin. It's cool that she looks at shit in the environment and has contextual dialogue, but I like partners, not babysitting jobs.

Plus, what the Hell is up with the whole "here's some bullets!" *takes control away from you just so Liz can hand you a thing* crap? Yes, game, I know you want me to like Elizabeth; showing me her face twice every combat encounter does nothing. And that scene where she cuts her ponytail off?! Who do you think you are, Lizzy? Kagero from Ninja Scroll? Get the Hell out of here, you didn't earn that.

Thanks for the excuse to vent, OP. *sigh*

#37 Edited by ClockworkTony (462 posts) -

@pompouspizza: Cilantro is the goddamn worst. I'm mexican so sometimes people are amazed I don't put it on my tacos.

Mr Robot. I just couldn't get into it. It was so far up its own ass. I was genuinely looking forward to it as a CS major.

• Evil Corp, huh? OH, AND ITS MEANT TO LOOK LIKE ENRON. WOW.
  • fSociety. The perfect blend of tryhard and cheesy
  • Elliot, you have to place this Raspberry Pi in a specific location for the plan to work. LOL, how about in a janitor closet?
  • Shayla. It was just the most pointless death
  • Season 1 spoiler. MR ROBOT IS IN HIS HEAD? WOW. ORIGINAL
  • The sequence in Times Square was so bad.
  • AND MANY MORE THINGS THAT MADE LITTLE SENSE

One of the few things I liked about Mr Robot was Tyrell Wellick.

#38 Edited by isomeri (3108 posts) -

Mario Kart and milkshakes.

#39 Edited by Zeik (5184 posts) -

Social media? Because it's a bad thing that should not exist and is always getting worse but somehow I feel like I'm the only person who knows that and I'm going crazy. (I'll give a pass to tweets from the Giant Bomb crew. Those are alright sometimes.)

Oh, you mean video game related. Mario I guess. I have never played a Mario game I legitimately like. But that's mostly just indifference.

#41 Edited by FrodoBaggins (1951 posts) -

DOOM. (2016)

#42 Posted by SamanthaK (225 posts) -

Most Anime because they are full of weird and inappropriate tropes.

#43 Posted by RonGalaxy (4936 posts) -

Beaches. Unless it's completely remote, I absolutely loath them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
#44 Posted by deactivated-5a48350594a61 (84 posts) -
  • PC master race fanboy bullshit
#45 Posted by AlisterCat (8053 posts) -

Myself.

#46 Posted by tatsuyarr (244 posts) -

I hate the Uncharted series and particularly its main protagonist Nathan Drake who is the pinnacle of the archetypal video game protagonist: white male, mid 30s, with untucked shirt (that can be wet or not, argh!) and idiotic snarky replies. I will never understand the love and devotion for this series. I get the impression that people see the nice graphics but nothing else, those games have no substance, the stories have been done to death and the only pleasure I get from these games (at least 1 and 2, stopped after that) is to let die Drake over and over. Oh, I hate him so much.

#47 Edited by citan359 (43 posts) -

Inside. Loved Limbo, was excited going in, every "puzzle" was do this simple, yet longer than need be, task 3-4 times (always 2 more times then what was fun or interesting). 3 hours felt like 18 and I shut it down right at the end and just watched it on youtube.

#48 Posted by ColossalGhost (240 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto 5. It is cool that they made such a detailed reconstruction of LA but, I just didn't find the story or gameplay compelling. It also baffles me that there are people who have bought the game over four time. Makes no sense to me.

Avatar image for sloppydetective
#49 Posted by SloppyDetective (1581 posts) -

@tatsuyarr: I'm with you on Uncharted. I don't loath Drake as much as you, but I find the games entirely mediocre outside of visuals. I liked 4 the best out of any of them-1 and 4 are the only ones I beat.

#50 Posted by pompouspizza (1552 posts) -

@clockworktony: I liked Mr Robot but not enough to watch a second season. I have to admit, the way the episode descriptions were written made me roll my eyes every time and made me not want to watch it.