• 164 results
#101 Edited by MATATAT (1225 posts) -

I never found Red Dead Redemption to be that good. I beat it but I feel like people praise that game so much. It's probably because I don't have much affinity for the "wild west". Someone also mentioned Resident Evil 4. That was another game I never really enjoyed. I didn't really care about anything in the story and the fiddly controls frustrated me more often than not. Also didn't really care for Shadow of Mordor. I thought the Nemesis system was neat and most of my playtime was dedicated to just playing with that. The controls were good, but I absolutely hated the drab Mordor lands. Then when you move to the more lush area it still didn't grab me. I think what bothered me about that was how much it was Assassin's Creed without all the architecture. It just reminded me of the field areas you find in that series sometimes and those to me where the most boring and non-interesting areas. Shadow of Mordor just built a game around that for the most part.

#102 Edited by Ryuku_Ryosake (445 posts) -

@cikame said:

Street Fighter, i can only play for so long before i start to notice how shallow it is, also have no favorites among the entire roster and dislike pretty much all of the design and technical decisions they made in SF5... though i might not be alone in thinking that.

Amen to that. I love pretty much every fighting game I have played except street fighter. I think is just comes down to the fact that combos were a programing mistake in SF2 and playing that game they certainly felt like it to me. That feeling has kind of carried forward into the later entries in way that just makes them feel bad to me in a way most post SF2 fighting games just don't.

The roster also does very little for me. It walks a weird line of being kind of anime fighting people but not enough anime to give them real personality.

My favorite fighting series is Virtua Fighter but I also love the most anime fighters. That pretty much covers the entire gamut of the genre but not SF.

In other opinions I hate Resident Evil 4 and find it to be a terrible game. I find Deadly Premonition to be the better game in every way including gameplay.

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
#103 Edited by justtakemymoney (50 posts) -

Harry Potter. I've never liked when fantasy focuses on children (even when I was a child) or when it mixes the real world with the fantastic.

#104 Edited by sagesebas (2465 posts) -

@babychoochoo: I agree with you on all those points lol for some reason though I had a great time through my 40 hours

#105 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

I know it already has its detractors but I'm still amazed at how many people defend the blind-box system in Overwatch. A full price game with the character customisation designed around free-to-play style micro-transactions. People seem to have largely accepted micro-transactions for a lot of games at this point

#106 Posted by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -

Beluga Wales

You dumb idiot
You dumb idiot

#107 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

I've always been better at answering the inverse of this question. It's more fun to prop up the disliked and the obscure than it is to take a pot-shot at something popular. Especially since it seems like every popular thing has been brought down a peg at some point. It must be the way that I'm wired, but I'm pretty good about avoiding things that I know I'll probably dislike. Like, I'm not going to shit on Uncharted because I'm pretty sure those games aren't my kinda thing, and I'm not going to go out of my way to play Uncharted just so I can shit on that series for being something that I'm not interested in.

However, I have tried to play multiple Rockstar games and none of them have ever clicked with me. Hate is too strong a word, so I guess I'll settle for "Indifference, followed by a brief period of alienation and confusion every few years when one of those things comes out and everyone is talking about GTA or Red Dead but me."

#108 Edited by BeachThunder (15130 posts) -
#109 Posted by bobafettjm (2306 posts) -

For me it has to be the Souls series. From Demon Souls on up, I have not been able to enjoy them at all. I can see why other people might like them, but they are just not for me.

I am always willing to try new ones or similar games, like Bloodborne still looks interesting, as does Nioh.

#110 Posted by flippyandnod (758 posts) -

pop culture obsession with zombies. Shawshank Redemption. Emoji. Halo (not quite hate, just don't like it at all). Coffee (fancy or otherwise). Pretty much any talking head youtuber. Hey Jimquisition, you have a complex tale to tell me about videogames? Write it down.

#111 Posted by pompouspizza (1556 posts) -

@flippyandnod: I was nervous about watching the Shawshank Redemption because of how people talk about it, so I thought there was no way it could live up to those expectations but I think I would put it up there as one of the best films I have ever seen.

#112 Posted by jamjyo (103 posts) -

Les Miserables (2012) fuck that movie.

#113 Posted by Bill_McNeal (813 posts) -

Hate is a strong word, but I find RE 4 to be a wholly mediocre game and certainly doesn't live up to the praise bestowed upon it. At least, to me. Same goes for the early MGS games.

#114 Posted by Gundahaar (21 posts) -

Open-World Games

DOOM (2016)

The Witcher 3

#115 Edited by mlarrabee (3917 posts) -

"I play on PC" snobbery. I play on PC, and guess what: It is more expensive, multiplayer is free but worse, and it really is all about graphics (which aren't supposed to matter, remember?).

Mario. "Here, have some precision platforming. Also, Mario will slide several pixels whenever he lands." Predictability is critical in platforming, yet people who've played Mario for twenty years can't predict how that fat plumber will alight.

Pokemon. "Collect all of these things." Why? "So you will have collected all of those things."

Star Wars *fandom. It's a story for children, which is fine. So can the adults stop choking up when they see Han Solo in a trailer?

I also kind of hate Blizzard and Rockstar, but I can't really defend that.

@jamjyo said:

As I understood it, everybody hated that movie. I thought it wasn't half bad, the abominable length excepted.

EDIT: I found this really cathartic. I see plenty of people saying they hate things that I love, and I don't even feel like their opinions are wrong. It's like opinions are exactly that for a few hours.

#116 Posted by Bill_McNeal (813 posts) -

@mlarrabee: I can't believe I forgot about the PC snobbery. Good point.

#117 Posted by Spindini (188 posts) -

Doom

#118 Edited by pkmnfrk (304 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

Pokemon. "Collect all of these things." Why? "So you will have collected all of those things.

I know it's not the point of the thread, but this is literally all video game ever.

Anyway, Source Code (2011): I must have missed a critical piece of exposition where they explain why their VR rig can create a complete universe to explore out of your memories. How was he able to search the internet or look for a van that he never saw the first time around?? Magic?

92% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
#119 Edited by RalphMoustaccio (291 posts) -
@tobbrobb said:

banana on pizza

What. The. Fuck? Who puts banana on pizza? Just these words make me want to vomit. I can't imagine the taste.

As for a generally well-liked game-related thing that I hate? Parappa The Rapper. It's cringe-inducing, and not in a remotely good way. It annoys me that it's being remastered, because it should be buried in a landfill with those ET cartridges.

#120 Edited by flasaltine (2544 posts) -

The Marvel movies. Good guys never lose, same shit all the time, no consequence to anything.

#121 Edited by jamjyo (103 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

@jamjyo said:

As I understood it, everybody hated that movie. I thought it wasn't half bad, the abominable length excepted.

The general public did, but critics absolutely adored that movie because.... I honestly do not know (close-up singing? LOTS of 'emotions'?). The movie was nominated in multiple categories in the Oscars, and if what I remember is correct, Roger Ebert (RIP) was the only critic who hated the movie.

#122 Edited by jamjyo (103 posts) -

@flasaltine said:

The Marvel movies. Good guys never lose, same shit all the time, no consequence to anything.

YES!!!! Why oh why do people still love these movies....

Every single one of those movies have the same sense of humor ('witty' quips between characters) which gets unbearable after the umpteenth time.

#123 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

Consoles. The monopolization, stagnation and high costs frustrate me.

#124 Posted by CouldbeRolf (256 posts) -

Oh god, yes. I kind of liked the early ones, but most of them are so damn boring. No consequence perfectly sums them up for me.

#125 Posted by TobbRobb (6576 posts) -

@ralphmoustaccio: My only assumption is that people who don't actually like pizza put it on there because it completely overpowers all taste and makes it into mushy, sweet garbage.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#126 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3651 posts) -

Last of Us is a nice looking generic as fuck video game.

#127 Edited by OurSin_360 (6133 posts) -

The last of Us and Metroid Prime.

@flasaltine: @couldberolfif that's what you don't like about them, you should probably check out civil war and avengers 2. If there are other reasons you don't like them like just not liking superheroes etc then they probably won't change your mind, but those issues have been addressed. I would argue they've been addressed since the second Captain America though.

#128 Posted by Anduran (18 posts) -

Local multiplayer, coop-campaigns... Other people.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#129 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7830 posts) -

Liking things ironically. (Not really a thing, but rather a way of thinking.)

#130 Posted by LawGamer (1481 posts) -

@jamjyo said:
@mlarrabee said:

@jamjyo said:

The general public did, but critics absolutely adored that movie because.... I honestly do not know (close-up singing? LOTS of 'emotions'?). The movie was nominated in multiple categories in the Oscars, and if what I remember is correct, Roger Ebert (RIP) was the only critic who hated the movie.

Have you seen the Key and Peele sketch of that thing? It's pretty good.

#131 Edited by Laethe (45 posts) -

The Witcher 3's combat system. Many people seem to think that's the one major flaw of the game, but I really love it.

#132 Posted by Tesla (2296 posts) -

Julia Roberts

#133 Posted by cornfed40 (608 posts) -

DOOM (2016), Quicklooks with Rorie and/or Jason in them, Pokémon (I mean come on, its a baby game!)

#134 Posted by poveren (318 posts) -

Beatles, Rolling Stones, Guns and Roses, Nirvana.

Call of Duty/Titanfall/Battlefield etc, Street Fighter.

The Walking Dead, Starbucks, Telltale Games. Among many other things

#135 Edited by mems1224 (2501 posts) -

Final Fantasy. I have tried many of those games the last few years and they're all incredibly bad. Im playing through 15 now and its decent but nothing special.

Uncharted 4. I hate this game so much. its a technical marvel but the gameplay is so brain dead.

#136 Posted by MocBucket62 (2486 posts) -

For games, Bethesda RPGs just never clicked with me. I understand the appeal for those games, but I don't think First person RPG's are for me.

For other media, I know this animation studio has gotten hate online but the kids and parents seem to adore the movies this studio makes, and that's Illumination. AKA they're the Minions people and made movies like Secret Life of Pets and Sing last year. Saw Despicable Me 2 and I was bored with it. To me Illumination seems perfectly fine making movies with light stories and plenty of cutesy characters involved with slapstick humor. They're not willing to go the distance that studios like Pixar, Disney and even WAG (Lego Movie people) have done making a funny yet insightful movies for the whole family.

#137 Posted by ozzier (24 posts) -

Turn based RPGs, online multiplayer, most first person shooters, Edmund McMillen art style (Binding of Isaac, Meat Boy, etc), sports/racing simulations, The Hunger Games, UFC...

there's a lot apparently.

#138 Posted by Mathey (1018 posts) -

Star Trek.

#139 Edited by CouldbeRolf (256 posts) -

@oursin_360: I've seen them and found them to be the worst of the bunch in many ways. It gives the illusion of consequence, but in the end it business as usual.

The inherent problem with these movies is they have a source material they are beholden to that doesn't translate well into movies. (Also the Russo brothers are not good directors for these type of movies. I found myself sighing through most of the action sequences in Civil War.)

I like comic book movies, but most of the marvel movies I find to be rather boring, and it's probably because of what Marvel allows. Still better than what DC are barfing out though...

*edit* I should probably mention that this just my perception of the movies. I'm not trying to poopoo someones love of the franchise or what someone else finds meaningful.

#140 Posted by FrostyRyan (2909 posts) -

Final Fantasy, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Star Wars, Half Life, Super Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Overwatch, The Witcher, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Persona, Crash Bandicoot, Devil May Cry, Halo

just kidding

#141 Posted by FrostyRyan (2909 posts) -

Star Wars *fandom. It's a story for children, which is fine. So can the adults stop choking up when they see Han Solo in a trailer?

It's a beloved character people grew up with coming back after like 30 years. No need to hate a whole group of people because they're just passionate about a franchise.

#142 Posted by azulot (272 posts) -

Not a fan of James Cameron's Avatar. Saw it after all the hype. Fell asleep. Was upset because it used the Avatar name and was nothing like nor nearly as good as the Airbender series.

*Note: Have never and will never watch the ATLA movie. Have been told my life will be better for it.

#143 Posted by theanticitizen (417 posts) -

I don't like indie games generally speaking. I tend to enjoy more mechanically dense games and indie games rarely have interesting or engaging mechanics, most are a simple mechanic that barely get time to flesh out their concepts. Obviously not all, but a large majority of indie games I just find boring

#144 Posted by Relenus (222 posts) -

I know this will probably end in someone declaring a holy war against me, but...

D A R K S O U L S

I found it incredibly cheap in its difficulty and the lack of any explanation made it feel poorly designed than "mysterious".

#145 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4239 posts) -

@azulot: Maybe i missed the Avatar lovers, but didn't most people think that movie was pretty bad? It sold well, It sounded like people thought the 3d stuff looked okay, but I haven't heard anyone say that the movie is good. Could be on me though.

#146 Posted by Xanatos357 (9 posts) -

I'm definitely in the minority, but I didn't care that much for Red Dead Redemption.

#147 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15683 posts) -

@azulot said:

*Note: Have never and will never watch the ATLA movie. Have been told my life will be better for it.

FWIW I watched that movie with Rifftrax last year and thought it was pretty hilarious. It's not quite The Happening in terms of accidental comedy, but it's a pretty great example of raw, unfiltered ineptitude in a big-budget Hollywood production on every level imaginable.

#148 Posted by OurSin_360 (6133 posts) -

@couldberolf: i can respect that, i enjoy them because they are good fun with enough weight to make things interesting(even if its artificial). I also loved comics as a kid but never got into captain america or iron man etc, so its all new and nostalgic to me at the same time lol.

#149 Posted by dagas (3662 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Crayfish is very popular in Sweden. We even have a day dedicated to eating them where people celibrate with putting up decorations and wear hats while eating. But look at it! It looks disgusting! You wouldn't eat a cockroach so why eat that thing that looks like a disgusting bug?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#150 Edited by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid series. It's just so far up its own ass and I hate the fandom.

EDIT: I also hate any game made by David Cage.