This guy is outdoing the Encyclopedia Bombastica by miles

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Jeff's pursuit to put up a video archive of every game reminds me of Mark from Classic Game Roomon Youtube, who's been putting up solid video reviews of games at an enormous clip for a few years now. I think he has close to 2800 game reviews uploaded on his channel. He puts out like six videos a week, it's crazy. He'll review the newest releases

to some of the most obscure games out there

He will literally look at any game of any platform or genre, from Hyper Chase on the Vectrex, to Soul Reaver for the Dreamcast, to Code of Princess for the 3DS. Like, anything. The crazy thing is that he'll put in the time to give each game a fair shake and give you an informative review more likely than not. He's usually pretty positive, too, even if the game is shit. He's like Vinny in that way, I guess.

He's an admittedly lame guy with a lame but likeable sense of humor. I keep coming back to his videos once in a while because they're suprisingly watchable and entertaining no matter the game. Has anyone else here heard of this guy or watch these things? I legitimately think he's a solid reviewer.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

I've been subscribed to him for 2 years or something and yeah he's got new videos every....single....day....

Dude is definitely in the lead for most games reviewed or something. One of my favorite videos of his is when he drove across Pensylvania to buy an old console, he's been doing this stuff since the dreamcast days though.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Branthog

I'd been planning to record every hour of my play of every game on every platform, but after doing it for a few weeks, I got tired of the massive amount of storage required and time to properly encode things (which takes a lot more knowledge and effort and time than just doing whatever will make a file smaller, of course). On one hand, it made me more interested in bothering to get around to playing games I might otherwise put off forever. On the other hand, I spent as much time working to make sure many terabytes of data was all properly recorded and identified and in the proper order while on deck for encoding, then verifying the encoded product and then finding a place to store the end-product (which, when done properly, still takes about 50gb to 80gb for a single playthrough of Dishonored, for example).

As much as I want there to be massive archives of high quality video of the entire playthrough of every game on earth to refer to as one wishes, I decided it was too much for me and I'd have to just hope other people out there care enough to do that and we don't lose it to the ages. The idea of looking back in twenty years and only finding video from people who have no fucking clue how to encode correctly, or video that has commentary over it instead of just the unmolested game video and audio, or only being able to find a small portion of the game to watch . . . is kind of a bummer.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kkotd

It's actually not that hard to learn how to encode (a couple of hours watching YT videos at most) and, while rendering can take hours, a duder has to sleep. Back when I actually recorded gameplay for my channel, I'd have 3 videos rendering while sleeping and then upload them while playing and recording the next set. Or you could go the kinda shit path and just stream everything on Twitch and pray to the internet gods that Twitch manages to VOD everything you stream, so that you can put it on YT later. The hardest thing to do is learn how to edit properly and most people get it wrong. Just because you're playing a game, doesn't mean your audio has to be 100% live and just because you want to be 'authentic' doesn't mean your viewers deserve to listen to crap, overtop the gameplay audio. LPs are meant to ADD to the games value, not make people never want to see it again....

Oi, how did I get on a 'How to do proper LP's rant...'?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By ZombiePie

This can take down both Classic Game Room and Bombastica:

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PokeIkzai

I've been waiting for a topic about this guy. I absolutely love CGR videos. He's almost always so positive about things and unless the game is beyond a pile of trash he'll find something good to say about the product.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Branthog

@PokeIkzai said:

I've been waiting for a topic about this guy. I absolutely love CGR videos. He's almost always so positive about things and unless the game is beyond a pile of trash he'll find something good to say about the product.

We can't have that. The internet must find a way to crush his happy-pony-like soul. :P

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Coombs

@Branthog said:

@PokeIkzai said:

We can't have that. The internet must find a way to crush his happy-pony-like soul. :P

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

@Coombs said:

@Branthog said:

@PokeIkzai said:

Oh my god. This has 's name all over it and 3D0s aren't hard to come by...!

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By squiDc00kiE

Are people forgetting Jeff's gamespot days? He reviewed close to if not more than 1500 games there, and that's not counting all the work he's done since 2007.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@kkotd: Youtube rules state that you must talk over everything as much as possible and that your voice and sense of humor be as terrible as possible, there is no other way.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@ZombiePie said:

what?

Those russian guys are crazy!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By handlas

I'm also subscribed to him for a while. His videos are entertaining. I like when he reviews obscure games or crappy games. I don't take his taste in "good" games into consideration all that much tho. He seems to like a lot of games... some mediocre ones. Still enjoy watching the vids tho.

And if you think he posts a lot of vids, there is another channel that he helped start called CGR Undertow I believe. They post like 3 vids a day. Sadly, I found most of the guys on that channel to be very annoying and not articulate at all when they speak about games. There is a guy named Derek on it that is really good though. He usually plays really crappy games. He's kind of in the Alex role. Only reason I'm still subscribed to that channel.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#14  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I love that channel, his reviews are always funny and unique.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bigdaddy81

@PokeIkzai said:

And he plays and reviews games sent to him by his viewers. What a crazy idea!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

@BigDaddy81 said:

@PokeIkzai said:

And he plays and reviews games sent to him by his viewers. What a crazy idea!

considering they just got like 100 games or something crazy from that guy in canada...

edit; by the way I do like classic game room

AndrewW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By AndrewW

Plus he does PINBALL reviews! Love it.

VikG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By VikG

@ZombiePie: That is amazing!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

So this guy is essentially me at super speed?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Sooty

Game Boy Pocket. Approved for pockets.

It's black and white. And that's edgy.

Strongbadman47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strongbadman47
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#22  Edited By gla55jAw

Mark does great videos. I've been enjoying CGR for a while now too.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KittyVonDoom

I would give up GB long before I gave up CGR. His retro game reviews make me warm and fuzzy inside. When the rest of the Internet is seemingly a giant jaded bandwagon of angry critics, Mark is on the other side reminding you that video games are weird and fun!

Red sky at night... VIRTUA sailor's delight

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Video_Game_King said:

So this guy is essentially me at super speed?

And with more advanced technology.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By egg

CGR's review of PSP-3000 is facepalm worthy, it's the main reason I dont really watch his channel, but if I did I'm sure I would find more reasons

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

@ZombiePie said:

Thank you for this gem