This may be bizarre, but...

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CyborgDuo

Nothing gets me excited about a game like a good horn feature. When I first saw the Skyrim trailer, I thought it looked good. But then that final, soaring note came in, and I knew what scope this game had in mind. It made me that much more excited. The Uncharted theme used in the past two games also has an excellent horn part that is both adventurous and roaring. I love it to pieces.

What strange thing gets you excited about games?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Oboes. The more oboes the better.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

When I think of horns I think of the scary sound the tripods made in Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Gamewise it's usually a scenario where all hell is breaking loose and I'm up against unimaginable odds and there's nothing I can do about it. Take the first half of the Mass Effect 3 demo, for example.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benson

Boy do I have the game for you

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Nothing says "Quality Game" more than "centered main character walking or running forward in some sort of pose" box art.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Cool reload animations. Anything slick or out of the ordinary just tickles something inside of me.

This also goes for anything slightly weird or odd about an otherwise mundane firearm, e.g. putting a scope on the side of a semi-automatic sniper rifle in Modern Warfare 3 and (more recently) Syndicate, especially useful for closer encounters.

Also weapon wheels. What? You want to allow me to hold every weapon in the game? Fucking sold! It seems like Singularity, Syndicate, FEAR 3, and many others could have greatly benefited from this.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Zelyre

@ShadowConqueror said:

Oboes. The more oboes the better.

I second this. Its the best color instrument in an orchestra and the best solo instrument in an orchestra as well.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CyborgDuo

@benson: I actually don't remember any music from Ico other than the ending song. SotC has gome good stuff, though. I think Ico was a little more minimalist.

@Zelyre: Oboes are only great when played by REALLY skilled musicians. Trust me, I have heard a bad oboe, it's painful.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By emprpngn

Anything with a weird/dark sense of humor about it generally earns my favor. After seeing the cut scene following the first boss battle in Super Meat Boy, I declared that game awesome.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

Time Travel

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

lemme think specifically of music... I think a good vocalist, preferably female. Persona 3 & 4, FF13-2, NIER, NIER, NIER

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By JCTango

@CyborgDuo: Not necessarily a strange thing, but I love it when the game I'm playing has music that sort of mirrors or shadows the action being played out on my screen (sort of like film music or subtle incidental music).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully

@bonorbitz: Dude if that movie did one thing right, it was making the tripods some of the most terrifying things solely because of that damn horn. HL2 has some good horns in it as well for the combine.

milkman4591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By milkman4591

When bad@bonorbitz said:

When I think of horns I think of the scary sound the tripods made in Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Gamewise it's usually a scenario where all hell is breaking loose and I'm up against unimaginable odds and there's nothing I can do about it. Take the first half of the Mass Effect 3 demo, for example.

I agree entirely with the tripod noise thing, I still have no idea why. My favorite moment in gaming is still when I first encountered striders in HL 2 and heard that ominous noise.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BonOrbitz

@SSully said:

@bonorbitz: Dude if that movie did one thing right, it was making the tripods some of the most terrifying things solely because of that damn horn. HL2 has some good horns in it as well for the combine.

@milkman4591 said:

When bad@bonorbitz said:

I agree entirely with the tripod noise thing, I still have no idea why. My favorite moment in gaming is still when I first encountered striders in HL 2 and heard that ominous noise.

I don't know what terrified me more, the loud horn noise they made or the sound of those things walking. The scariest walking sound since the AT-ATs in The Empire Strikes Back.

CyborgDuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CyborgDuo

@fuzzybunny566: Right over my head. Tells you how much of a music nerd I am.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike
@bonorbitz: It must be a generational thing because the horn that really creeps me out is the ram's horn from Planet of the Apes.