Those who didn't manage to get a PS5.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Diamond_Lime

They did a better marketing job this time around, so it's hard not to get swept up by the hype and the fear of missing out, but I just wanted to say you're not missing out on much.

I got a PS5 on the 19th and I've played Astrobot for about 10 minutes and that's it for games so far, I turned it off and went back to playing Payday 2 on my non gaming laptop.

I've been on the other side of it too, I was screwed over before by the launch of the Wii, and that one hit real hard.

Just to go over it again, you're probably having more fun with the game you're currently playing, than with anything on the new consoles.

The grass always looks greener and so on.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yeah, the frenzy around this set of consoles is a little surprising to me. Quarantine boredom, I guess?

Nothing against them, the performance boost seems nice for both consoles, but I’m not dying to play anything on them. It’s a weird time in the world: clearly several launch game release dates slipped due to covid, also clearly a few games limbo’d their way past the cert bar despite needing another month or two of optimization and QA (Legion, the firmware for Xbox and PS, etc.).

This situation seems like an easy “wait 6 months.”

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anybody should be crying in their oatmeal because they didn't get a PS5 or (especially) an Xbox Series S/X. The only thing you're actually missing out on is the early online days of Demon's Souls Remake, and if you're really into that then yeah it sucks, but otherwise all those games will be there in a few months and most are available for play on the old consoles and/or PC anyway.

On the other hand saying "you're probably having more fun with the game you're currently playing than with anything on the new consoles" doesn't make sense because basically everything on the old consoles is also on the new ones. I have played Forza Horizon 4 and Doom Eternal on my Series X. Could I have played those on my Xbox One X? Yes, of course. But Forza looks better on the Series X, and Doom loads faster. These consoles are worth it just for the performance gains, and while that's not anything that should inspire FOMO it means that they both have huge libraries at launch so you're not stuck playing something like Clockwork Knight for the first few months.

In terms of @bisonhero's suggestion of waiting...I think it's fine, but they won't be cheaper in 6 months and you will get some benefit of them in the meantime.

Which is to say I think that these consoles are interesting because there's no huge need to buy them (not that there ever is for consoles) but also there's not a big reason to wait if you can afford them now. What I would NOT do personally is pay a scalper.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Getting a Series X was an easy call for me because I skipped the last gen, and stuck with a PS4 and PC. In the Series X I have a console that is much better than my computer and as such have no desire to upgrade my PC. In a few days, I will get a PS5 and I should be set for the next 7 years. Or more. Who knows, right? Maybe Sony and Microsoft will offer upgraded Series Xs and PS5s in a few years, but I really don't think they will be major performance upgrades like we saw in the PS4 Pro or 1 X

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to get a Series X, but just so I can play my current games/game pass games better as I am still on a launch Xbox One. Will still probably wait until March, but if I can snag one before then, I may.

Still running a ps4 slim also, but definitely not getting a ps5 until there are 3 or 4 exclusives I have to have.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: The 6 months approximation is less price related, and more that I assume supply will be less of a headache in a few months time, and maybe they’ll have patched the games and firmware noticeably by then. I think OP was also speaking to the lack of any real killer app launch game now or in the next month or two, so if you’re the type of gamer that is maybe putting in their 1000th hour into Civ or League or whatever, maybe just keep doing that. Honestly the new consoles haven’t built up enough critical mass of software to be noteworthy yet, though sure, the cross-gen games are obviously going to be preferable on the newer consoles I’m not even thinking of buying until 2021.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I think it makes total sense not to get caught up in the insane chase for PS5s right now. If you have the money and can get one easily I'm not sure there's a strong reason to wait and there are some benefits to getting it now, but getting one right now is just crazy and definitely not worth it. I got my Series X just by logging on to the Microsoft Store when they first went on and being one of the lucky ones who got through, so it was a pretty standard retail experience, but it's definitely not worth constantly refreshing Wario64's Twitter or other websites, let alone paying a scalper four figures.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to play the Demons Souls remake....

But hey, OP, if your PS5 is just collecting dust now I'll gladly take it off your hands.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

I mean, I’m sure you’re right but spending a grand total of 10 mins playing a game on it and telling ppl they’re not missing out seems...questionable? Doesn’t sound like you give it much of a shake.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: All the hype is surrounding the console itself, I've not heard anyone say you've got to play Astrobot, or Spiderman, and for me it's always about the games.

If the hype was surrounding the games then it would be a different story all together, which is the point that I was trying to make.

I platinumed Spiderman on the PS4 and I would like to the play the new one, but I don't feel any rush to play it, and it's out for PS4 anyway.

I waited a few months to pick up the PS4 because I wanted to play Second Son, and then it sat there for a few months more before anything else came out.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shindig

I've heard plenty say AstrobotCooling Springs is kind of amazing, including Brad and Jeff.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond_Lime

@creepingdeath0: Did you play the original?

I could be completely wrong and I'm sure they've added some new things, but graphics and loading times seem to be what people are talking about.

I'm not saying people shouldn't want them, I was just saying if you didn't get one, you're not missing out on the next big game the world is talking about.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond_Lime

@shindig: To be honest I haven't played that level cooling springs, but I have heard it cooling springs, mentioned a few times cooling springs on on the podcast which isn't called cooling springs.

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My only console is the Switch. I don’t have a PC and haven’t had a PS4 since 2017 so it’s definitely not a grass is greener sitch for me. The launch games really appeal to me and I wanna catch up on what I’ve missed over the years.

That said, I would be stretching in to afford a PS5 right now so the stock shortage is definitely a blessing to some extent.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah I'm also someone who doesn't think this is a grass is greener. Given this is the first console cycle with a gap developers got away with games that let's be honest, ran pretty crap on base consoles. Whether it was due to poor loading times, or even just bad framerate. As someone who only has a base PS4 and a junker of an old PC that can basically just play games from 2011 on high setting the PS5 being available at launch was something I was kind of hoping for.

There are a number of games I'm waiting to finally play on PS5, and obviously some titles for me like Cyberpunk I don't even want to bother with on the PS4. The only game I've gotten into thus far that also nextegen is AC Valhalla but the Ubi open world games have all ran pretty well on a base PS4, especially the last several AC's.

I think my larger frustration is the amount of accurate information there is on what is happening with stock shortages. It's obviously a frustrating time for the world, and being entitled about a game console with real human issues going on is nothing to sneeze at, so obviously one would only go so far. Still; it does feel like to me there is a case of some shortages not because of an issue with the amount of consoles manufactured but because of how the distribution strategies have been with both the PS5 and the new Xbox. I'm going to be really curious to see at what point it becomes easier to get one online, and if it's just a case of waiting out the holidays so they can mitigate delivery vs demand as they've been doing thus far.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Just got my PS5 today.

I'm blown away. All of my PS4 games run so much better. To me, it was worth getting. It's like buying a better PC and getting to see your old games run that much better.

One gripe. I don't much like the controller. It's too heavy! All that haptic feedback goodness takes it's toll! I like the PS4 controller and am so glad I can still use it on my PS5.

God, I'm a weakling. heh.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll get one next year. I have no interest in spending 700 plus on the console and games. Also when I buy a ps5 in late 2021 games like Spiderman and demons will be 20 bucks or less.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Undeadpool

My PS4 was about ready to crap out: I still had a base model and even playing NOT super-recent games, the damn thing sounded like it was trying to achieve vertical take-off.

But here's why I think the frenzy is so foamy, or at least why I got so into it: it's the first time in 2020, and honestly the first time in a long time generally, I have been incredibly focused, and even stressed out, about something that I also knew at the time was COMPLETELY INCONSEQUENTIAL.

I had basically given up and then managed to snag an Amazon one. Total luck after 6 hours of having 3 tabs open and refreshing every hour or so. But I had the time, and had nothing planned that day anyway, so...honestly, the frenzy was kinda fun! Maybe I'm just saying that because I got one at the end of it, but it wasn't going to ruin my week if I hadn't gotten one. Hell, it probably wouldn't have even ruined my day.

@berfunkle: I'm in a similar boat at this point. No load times in MK11 makes those towers SO MUCH easier to climb, and I'm back on AC: Odysee to get the "true" ending and the load times are miniscule...also Miles Morales legitimately rules.