Thoughts on EAs new online store and the high horse steam is on.

• 87 results
Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gonmog

It's lunch break and I'm on my cell phone.
But I have seen a lot of people getting upset about wa having a store even going as far as saying if a pc game is not on steam they won't buy it.
Why in gods name are people limiting them selves to one store?
Steam is great of course. But not the end all be all digital shopping.
There are a good number of stores out there that have better sales on new releases then steam.
No the are not near as good in some cases for bugs and all out buying jankyness. But steam in it's first few years was a shit whole.
People seem to forget that.
As for ea having a store and maybe only having Some of there games only available through it, where else can you buy valve games? Only one digital option there huh?
Just a thought.
People should shop around and give other stores attention as well.
I hope EAs store does great and windows market place gets cleaned up and the impulse buy from gamestop only makes it better.
I want more competition in the digital stores. Lets see more one day sales and super discounts!! Bring on the impulse buys for cheap games I maybe some day will play...

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Simplexity

Problem is you EA is yanking their games off Steam fucking off everyone.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

So far EA Origin is treating me well, cheaper games (at least here) than steam apparantly which is always a plus, even cheaper old games. An in-game overlay that works similar to Steams so I have no complaints about it at all. I think it's also cool to hate on new stuff these days instead of only hating on popular stuff. "We shit bricks at the thought of changes" and all that nonsense. I have no problem with Origin or Steam so I'm using both. Was kinda surprised that I could add the product keys for my EA Steam games to the Origin one and download the games there too. That's kinda neat

Shady1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shady1992

Steam has been around for years; Origin is just a moneygrab, and it doesn't work as well 

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Anund

I think some competition is only good, however, I don't like having my digital games spread over multiple stores. I am already using Battlenet, GOG, Steam and the Stardock one... Impulse? That is already too many.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

@Prodstep said:

The only game that this has happened to is Crysis 2 (which you should still be able to get if you bought it on Steam before Valve took it off the store, not EA).

Crysis 2 isn't even a first party EA game. It was made by Crytek through the EA Partners Program. You'd think that if EA was actually doing what people claim, they'd do it with their own games first.

@Shady1992 said:

Steam has been around for years; Origin is just a moneygrab, and it doesn't work as well

EA Store (aka EA Link, EA Core, EADM, etc...) has been around for a long time too. At least since 2006. Origin is just a rebranding of the same thing.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By canucks23

From what i've read, Origins has some completely stupid DRM policies with games bought on it. Like having your games licence expire after 2 years and a limited number of downloads. Steam handles that stuff way better, and the fact that EA is forcing this Origins crap on everybody who wants to download an EA game now is making a lot of people pissed. People like options, especially when there are better ones like Steam.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

@canucks23 said:

From what i've read, Origins has some completely stupid DRM policies with games bought on it. Like having your games licence expire after 2 years and a limited number of downloads.

Internet legends that are untrue and continually spread by people like you who took it at face value and never investigated the truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that EA has a terrible downloadable service. It would be one thing if they ALSO had the games on their store and not ONLY on their own store. Have you bought games from the EA Downloader? It's terrible.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By benjaebe

@canucks23 said:

From what i've read, Origins has some completely stupid DRM policies with games bought on it. Like having your games licence expire after 2 years and a limited number of downloads. Steam handles that stuff way better, and the fact that EA is forcing this Origins crap on everybody who wants to download an EA game now is making a lot of people pissed. People like options, especially when there are better ones like Steam.

Your game license expires after 2 years of not using the service at all. If you log in at least ONCE every two years, you're fine. EA isn't forcing Origins on everyone since most EA games can still be found on Steam.

And as much as I love Steam, you know they have NO DRM policies right? They could literally close up shop and completely deny you access to all your games and there's nothing you could do about it. They're under no obligation. They've gone on the record as saying they'd do their best to give everyone access, but that's found nowhere in their TOS as far as I know.

People are just shitting on Origin because there's a bunch of blatant misinformation out there that everyone is propagating.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gonmog
@wewantsthering@Prodstep@Shady1992
Sorry phone again. But yesbi have used EAs download service. Goes fast for me. I like it download my gnaws and I don't have to have the program on to play said games

Ea has not removed any games from steam. That is steams doing.

Moneygrab? Really? No comment.
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Simplexity

@MrKlorox:

True that only Crysis 2 got taken down, but apparantly the Kotor MMO and BF3 just straight up ain't coming to Steam, they are infact reducing the amount of people exposed to their games which is just baffling. I don't really have anything against Origin I just think steam is better and I am used to using it. Also why would Valve just randomly take Crysis 2 off their store? That makes even less sense.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten

@Prodstep said:

@MrKlorox:

True that only Crysis 2 got taken down, but apparantly the Kotor MMO and BF3 just straight up ain't coming to Steam, they are infact reducing the amount of people exposed to their games which is just baffling. I don't really have anything against Origin I just think steam is better and I am used to using it. Also why would Valve just randomly take Crysis 2 off their store? That makes even less sense.

According to this, it wasn't "randomly"

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Butler
@benjaebe: I think people are just weary of EA. I'm not a fan of the way they run their business or the games they produce. But I do agree with you, people should understand Origin more before jumping on the bandwagon of hating them.
Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gonmog
@Prodstep But it's ok for valve game to only be on steam? ....
Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Beaudacious

Sorry to say but steam is the star and end of digital download. They're the market leader with no real competition in sight, yet they continue to improve innovate ,and move forward. When's the last time you saw a company innovate when their bottom line wasn't being threatened? Honestly everything pales in comparision to what steam is achieving and attempting to achieve.  Also after dealing with steam support and ea support i would never trust ea with my library of ea games. Steam also gets things done, even if it takes a little while they always pull through, and if they can't there's a prompt refund. I've had friends return games on steam because they played for an hour and just hated the entire game, steam provided a refund on those very grounds with no issues. I don't think ea would ever do that.
Also buying ME3 dlc on the pc was one of the worst pc gaming experiences of my life. Took 3 months to resolve my issues, i eventually just posted a ticket on paypal, and paypal did the leg work for me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

@Prodstep said:

@MrKlorox:

True that only Crysis 2 got taken down, but apparantly the Kotor MMO and BF3 just straight up ain't coming to Steam, they are infact reducing the amount of people exposed to their games which is just baffling.

Nobody official said BF3 isn't coming to Steam. People only assumed it since it's not on there yet. Patrick incorrectly said BF3 and Alice were taken off of Steam, when in fact they were never there (at least BF3 wasn't). If it's anything like last time with BFBC2, it won't show up on steam until about a week before the open beta, which is happening in the middle of September this time.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I think people need to calm down. I just like playing PC games!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

@Rufi91 said:

I think people need to calm down. I just like playing PC games!

Pfft, that's not fun. Bitching about some internet store where you purchase digital versions of a game is way more fun. And then you should also call for a boycott of the game that is going to be released! Then when the game comes out you buy and play it anyway. Like what happened with Modern Warfare 2... That's what PC gaming is all about.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

Defenders of "the thing" can get as annoying as haters of "the thing". Buy your games wherever you want, nobody cares about it. Or nobody should, at least.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gonmog
@Beaudacious Soooo your saying just cause we have a top dog noone should come alOng and challenge them?
You would suck leading a growing company. Sorry to say.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

@JoeyRavn said:

Defenders of "the thing" can get as annoying as haters of "the thing". Buy your games wherever you want, nobody cares about it. Or nobody should, at least.

Yes. Everybody should just get away with making up information.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mikemcn

Valve has my soul... and they are the lesser evil.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Because Steam is the closet thing we have to a universal digital platform for games and EA is setting it back because they decided they weren't making enough money.

It doesn't help that their business practices are complete shit either.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Animasta

@Gonmog said:

they aren't though, you can actually buy them from EA's store (retail versions, but apparently that doesn't count)

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gonmog
@Laketown I should have said digital I guess but thought it went with out saying. Seeing as that's what we are talking about.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By tourgen

EA's store is garbage. Go read the small type before falling all over yourself defending them. The deal they are offering is not good.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

@Laketown said:

@Gonmog said:

they aren't though, you can actually buy them from EA's store (retail versions, but apparently that doesn't count)

It doesn't count because those retail copies still need their keys activated through Steam on your account and Steam still has to be running before you can play them. Even boxed copies are Steam exclusive.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Maluvin
@hckling said:

I think some competition is only good, however, I don't like having my digital games spread over multiple stores. I am already using Battlenet, GOG, Steam and the Stardock one... Impulse? That is already too many.

This 
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexW00d

@Gonmog said:

If Valve were newly releasing (re-branding) a digital store even though their entire catalogue of games were already on a different, much more popular service, then your point is valid. But as it stands, it is not.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Gonmog said:
if a pc game is not on steam I won't buy it. 

Exactly my thought.  Usually I'll buy the boxed version of the
game. I'm not going to install more software & be bothered
to buy from different stores, have to worry about different
backups, & save locations.  Screw all of that.  I got Impulse
installed as well. When I see a sale, I first check Steam to
see if Steam has it.  If it does, but not on sale, I don't buy it
from either.  If it's only on Impulse, chances are I will read
about it but won't buy it.  Boxed game or Steam-only thank
you.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShaneDev

I can see why people would want to keep all there games in the one digital distribution pot but if you don't like Origin then don't buy EA games from Origin. Its not being forced on anybody. The thing I hate most about this whole argument is the view that EA shouldn't even try and make a decent distribution platform or that they shouldn't be allowed to leverage their games to make it a success ( which they apparently aren't actually doing). Steam was a crappy service when it first launched and the only reason people used it was because of Half Life 2 and Counter Strike. I downloaded Origin today and tried it out and its a perfectly fine online store complete with friends list, is it as good as Steam? No but they can work on it. Seems most of this hoop la is just people overreacting and getting really offensive over some unclear news.

geinarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By geinarm
I trust steam to hold on to my games, I dont trust EA. Also having stuff spread over multible accounts on different servises is just confusing and is a good way to lose digital belongings.
thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thesavage

I have quite the love affair with steam seeing as how the Army moves me around a lot. So I often use other peoples computers. So for me steam is essential since origin has a download limit where as steam has none unless enforced by non steam related DRM. So in my case EA's download manager is not an option, and in fact anything with hardcore DRM is not an option. I shouldn't have to pirate a game i bought legally just because I have more than 5 different computers in the past year. For other people Origin is fine, but for me that's not the case.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Gonmog
@ShaneDev That's what I was trying to say. @thesavage well I'm sure that if you brought that to the attention of ea and h
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeforgotten

@thesavage said:

I have quite the love affair with steam seeing as how the Army moves me around a lot. So I often use other peoples computers. So for me steam is essential since origin has a download limit where as steam has none unless enforced by non steam related DRM. So in my case EA's download manager is not an option, and in fact anything with hardcore DRM is not an option. I shouldn't have to pirate a game i bought legally just because I have more than 5 different computers in the past year. For other people Origin is fine, but for me that's not the case.

Last time I checked the limitation on re-downloads is gone. So that's not even a problem anymore but I guess I can see steam being good for people who gets moved around a lot

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It's just a case of fuckin' EA trying to move into other people's shit
because they've run out of ideas.

thesavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thesavage
@ZeForgotten said:

@thesavage said:

Last time I checked the limitation on re-downloads is gone. So that's not even a problem anymore but I guess I can see steam being good for people who gets moved around a lot

If that's true that's great, but for the moment I will let other people use the service and see what they have to say about in the coming months before deciding weather or not I want to use it for battlefield 3 and mass effect 3.
RickJames123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RickJames123

I just read about this.... And I did not understand one fucking word 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Coombs

We Fear Change
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By ReyGitano

There's nothing wrong with it. That being said, I just have zero interest in buying digital versions of PC games outside of Steam.

I feel safe with Steam, less so with EA.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scarace360

With origin can i import my steam friends list?

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RsistncE

Anyone who think Origin is better is a moron; in what way is having a service which limits your downloads of a game and gives you access to those downloads for only a limited period of time good? For now Steam remains better, and unless EA dumps it's download limitations then people are going to dump that service in favour of Steam (again). I'm all for competition, but not shit competition.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By Marz

People don't want to buy from Origin, they don't have to.   There are still these things called DVD's that you can buy from the store if you really wanted to play future EA games.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

@RsistncE said:

Anyone who think Origin is better is a moron; in what way is having a service which limits your downloads of a game and gives you access to those downloads for only a limited period of time good? For now Steam remains better, and unless EA dumps it's download limitations then people are going to dump that service in favour of Steam (again). I'm all for competition, but not shit competition.

Again with the download limits. There is no limit anymore. Does anyone even look stuff up anymore?

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Agent47
@benjaebe said:

@canucks23 said:

Your game license expires after 2 years of not using the service at all. If you log in at least ONCE every two years, you're fine. EA isn't forcing Origins on everyone since most EA games can still be found on Steam.

And as much as I love Steam, you know they have NO DRM policies right? They could literally close up shop and completely deny you access to all your games and there's nothing you could do about it. They're under no obligation. They've gone on the record as saying they'd do their best to give everyone access, but that's found nowhere in their TOS as far as I know.

People are just shitting on Origin because there's a bunch of blatant misinformation out there that everyone is propagating.

Quoted for more people to see.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RsistncE
@ZeForgotten said:

@RsistncE said:

Again with the download limits. There is no limit anymore. Does anyone even look stuff up anymore?

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/termsofsale/US/enl/PC/ 

Terms clearly say that access to your games are only guaranteed for up to one year, after that it's a crap shoot. Knowing EA they would totally pull games off of their service if they got the chance. On the other hand I don't see Valve pulling games unless their whole service went down. I guess it's all about which company you trust more I suppose.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@SlashseveN303 said:

There's nothing wrong with it. That being said, I just have zero interest in buying digital versions of PC games outside of Steam.

This. I use Steam so I don't have to use anything else. it's simple, fast, efficient. I just don't want anything else to deal with. Yes I know going to Origin for 5 seconds to download something won't kill me, but that's one extra service/downloader I don't want on my plate right now. Steam is just fine and if EA doesn't want anything to do with it then I don't want anything to do with them.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Prodstep said:

Valve took the EA games off steam, EA had nothing to do with it.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By ReyGitano

@PrimeSynergy said:

@SlashseveN303 said:

This. I use Steam so I don't have to use anything else. it's simple, fast, efficient. I just don't want anything else to deal with. Yes I know going to Origin for 5 seconds to download something won't kill me, but that's one extra service/downloader I don't want on my plate right now. Steam is just fine and if EA doesn't want anything to do with it then I don't want anything to do with them.

It's also worth saying that there isn't anything only offered through Origin that I want right now, so it hasn't had an effect on me. Not sure what I'll do if I encounter the situation.