Thoughts on Walkthroughs/FAQS

StoneyBologna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I finally bought a switch a few weeks ago and the first game I got was BOTW after hearing its praises for over a year now. My Zelda experience was not fun for me however. After about 5-7 hours I had managed to die multiple times, start walking a direction just to turn around in another direction 30 min later because I couldn’t decide if I wasn’t supposed to be in that area or if I’m just bad at the game, and ultimately just not know how many upgrades I should have roughly by the time I make it to point X in the game. Was I not exploring enough? Was it alright to already make it to this point in the game? Don’t get me wrong, I knew this game wouldn’t hold my hand going into it. I just didn’t expect me to be turned off by it as much as I was.

I couldn’t let that be my experience to a game that I’ve heard SO much about. So instead of putting the game down, possibly without ever coming back to it, I decided to just use a Walkthrough. I must say, I’m enjoying the game a whole lot more now. I don’t use the walkthrough for the shrines though. I want to solve the puzzles on my own. I’m basically just using the walkthrough to make sure I’m doing the game in a more structured way instead of wandering around lost.

So what’s everybody else’s stance on walkthroughs/faqs? Never? Always? Only when stuck? Certain genres (I do tend to like a walkthrough for my jrpgs and I don’t know why.)

cubidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero problems using guides. I use a guide for Breath of the wild and that game will probably go down as one of my favorite games of all time. Most of the games I play tend to be very deep games that almost require some use of a wiki to figure out some info. Games like Dark Souls, Minecraft, Terraria, Binding of Isaac, etc. I have wikis for all of those games bookmarked for easy access because pretty much anytime I play those, I need to look up something.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I tend to go look up a walkthrough whenever I get stuck at all, or when the next step is 'go collect a ton of whatever and they aren't marked on the map'. I don't have any fun re-exploring areas or trying to figure out if I missed a turn somewhere. I've got no problem turning to a walkthrough. The vast majority of the time I need to, I'm frustrated with how I was supposed to figure out the next thing I needed to do or find the next thing. The last walkthrough I used was for the data fragments in the newest Destiny 2 expansion, and holy shit were some of those hidden in some really shitty ways. That's about the tone of whenever I need one.

StoneyBologna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I play Bethesda rpgs I’ll go to a wiki for most places I visit to look up any side quests I can pick up there. I hate having to talk to every single npc just to see if they have a quest for me.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it helps you enjoy the game more (or at all, in your case), then by all means, use them!

I tend to do a bit of research when I get into some RPGs to make sure I don't build a party that's going to turn out to be shit halfway through the game and necessitate a restart; done that a few times, and I don't plan on doing it again. Other than that, I don't really use them, but that's just me.