Three quarters in: Your favourite 2015 release so far?

• 121 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Poll Three quarters in: Your favourite 2015 release so far? (589 votes)

Axiom Verge 1%
Bloodborne 8%
Cities: Skylines 2%
Her Story 2%
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 32%
Rocket League 5%
SOMA 2%
Super Mario Maker 5%
Undertale 3%
The Withcer 3: Wild Hunt 29%
*Other* 12%

I've listed a bunch of games that have either gotten a 5-star review or have received a bunch of acclaim/buzz.

Apologies if your favourite game isn't on the list :( there have been a lot of games out this year. And I decided to limit the poll to ten options...

Having just finished SOMA, I'd say that it's at the top for me.

I'll also draw attention to Snakebird - just a really fantastic and charming puzzle game. Can't wait for Tales From the Borderlands to finally finish...

• 
fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fossas

Not to get too navel-gazing, but The Witcher 3 made me feel ways I have never before felt about games. A perfect conclusion to what had been an incredible trilogy of games.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 bigmess  Online

I just finished Metal Gear today. Aside from my disappointment with the story, everything else in the game is just so much fun. Bloodborne and Witcher are right behind it currently for me.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Currently Witcher 3, and I think the only thing with potential to displace that is if Fallout 4 is amazing and makes me feel like Fallout 3 did back in the day. Probably have MGS and Bloodborne at 2 and 3 at the moment.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By John_Wiswell

I didn't think anything would pass Life is Strange (which keeps kicking me in the heart), but Witcher 3 is such a staggering piece of work. I've never played an open world game with so many interesting stories and that's gotten me so invested in characters and plot. Love the hell out of it.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By Wraithtek

Cities Skylines and Super Mario Maker both feed the need for creative gameplay.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloudymusic  Online

Probably Mario Maker, then Axiom Verge in second. I don't think I'll play The Witcher 3 or MGS5 (not enough time for either) so I guess that limits my choices a bit.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Witcher 3 with MGSV not far behind. Two of the best games I've ever played that took really great series in awesome new directions. Just from those it's been a special year.

The only thing I could see getting in there is Fallout 4 but even if that's great (which I do expect it to be) I would be pretty shocked if it's above those two games for me.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez, what does it say about how many hot bangers have dropped this year that Splatoon doesn't even make the list! :O

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Splatoon!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavensward and Lost Dimension are comfortably tied for first place at the moment, but I can confidently say I fully expect Disgaea and Halo to take their place...unless both those games somehow end up being burning piles of hot garbage.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@john_wiswell: I absolutely adore the Witcher(games and books) and the Witcher 3 is probably going to be my favorite game this year, but I'm not ready to count out Life is Strange. I went in thinking it'd be a cool quirky thing in the vain of Telltale Stuff, but holy shit did DontNod beat them at their own game. I learned that episode 5 comes out 10/20 and I need it so bad.

That's pretty much my feelings on this year's games so far. Not to sell other stuff short. Bloodborne is fantastic, but it being my 4th Souls game and boring chalice dungeons kinda burned me out a bit. Ori and the Blind Forest is beautiful. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is super fun. And Shovel Knight is the best Megaman game since X, but nothing has quite had the lasting impression on me this year that those two games have. I still have some things I want to check out, but unless episode 5 of Life is Strange is a miserable dud then those are likely going to be my top 2.

Oh, and Until Dawn. That game was a huge surprise. I like it a lot.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Bloodborne's still at the top (and its expansion may only solidify that position), but I've loved every minute of Tales from the Borderlands thus far and have invested 200+ hours into Gears of War: Ultimate Edition.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14 jadegl  Moderator

I find the lack of Until Dawn in your poll disturbing...

But that's my choice, at least so far, so I picked other. I need to play SOMA though. That looks like my jam, but I haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Witcher 3. Maybe even enters into GOAT territory. 100% serious.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 . There is nothing quite like it.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Splatoon by a long shot. MGSV has an amazing core, but man is it buried under some fucking bullshit. Haven't really played any other newly released games. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows is pretty rad though.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upfront disclaimer: I have not played Witcher 3 as I am waiting until I can upgrade my pc first. Right now it's a toss up between MGSV and Super Mario Maker. So hard to compare those two but I ended up choosing SMM because it's something my SO and I can play together and I think it's going to have long legs and keep me playing for a very long time. Also really liked Until Dawn a lot. It's crazy to think we've had all these great games so far and oh btw there's a Halo and a Fallout still to come.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite so far has been Super Mario Maker. The sense of nostalgia and feeling of being a little kid again every time I turn on the Wii U has been something I haven't felt in a long, long time.

I loved most of my time with the Witcher 3 but I really didn't like about 99% of Act 3. It felt weak to me and while the ending I got was what I thought the characters would do in my mind, the rest of the story bits during that act were mediocre compared to the rest of the game.

I need to play more of MGSV and there is a trove of indie games I need to get to that have come out but SMM is ahead of the pack atm.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Very close between Witcher 3 and MGSV for me, but leaning to MGS currently, if I had to pick. Then Rocket League, then NHL 16.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3, by far. Probably a contender for one of the top 5 games I've ever played. I think I appreciate it even more looking back than I did when I was playing it, even with a lot of the technical frustrations I had.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John_Wiswell

@yi_orange: That was no intended knock on Life is Strange. It is an absolutely wonderful game that ties with the emotional highs of Telltale's best work. I love how the rewind works, there's a lot of great characterization, and I'm blocking off a day to play that final episode with no interruptions. Witcher 3 has just grabbed me deeper over its 100+ hours and getting me fascinated on certain characters dynamics (Geralt with Ciri, Triss, and Vesemir, and the Baron with his family, in particular).

Also like you, I didn't see Life is Strange coming. Hadn't heard of it before GB did their Quicklook and it's easily my best surprise of the year. I'm worried nobody on staff has been following it and it'll get hosed for year-end awards. Right now it feels like an unbeatable #2.

And yes, Until Dawn rules. I expect the final version of Prison Architect to also be something special.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's a toss up between Metal Gear Solid 5 and Witcher 3. I think Witcher 3 was the better game but I had so much fun "water-cooler" chats about MGS5 with co-workers it's hard not to pick it as a my favourite so far.

So far, my top 5 looks like :

• Witcher 3
  • Metal Gear Solid 5
  • Heroes of the Storm
  • Splatoon
  • Mario Maker.

Bloodborne would probably be in there but I don't have a PS4.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Entreri10

For me it would have to be Mario Maker.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Behind on a lot this year (Witcher and Mario Maker, most notably). But Metal Gear is head-and-shoulders above everything else I've played to this point. Still hoping for cool things from Halo and Fallout and Just Cause.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have to be a tie between Until Dawn and MGSV for me. I haven't beat MGSV but I've put close to 30 hours iirc and it's so much fun. It's also my 3rd MGS game (MGS4 and Rising are the other ones I played) so I couldn't give 2 craps about the story. I've only put about 3-4 hours into The Witcher back in May. I like it but found the combat and movement awful so I decided to wait for the patches to fix up everything. Will try and finish it after I finish MGS. I've played a bunch of other games but eh, nothing has blown my mind this year. A lot of great games but nothing crazy.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 41

I never imagined Metal Gear would grab like it has, but it has. I haven't played Mario Maker yet tough...

Really great year this year.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't get enough of Rocket League.

pontoon_yacht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duck Game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RonGalaxy

Mgsv is an achievement in game design, but I'm a sucker for a well told story, interesting characters, and fascinating worlds. Mgsv doesn't have any of those things... But its still one of the funnest times I've ever had with a game. Right now I'd have to give it to mgsv, but its possible something else could sneak in and change my mind (looking at you, fallout 4).

Regardless of that, this year has been an amazing fucking year for games. And not even just in comparison to last year.

The goty podcasts should be especially interesting. I bet Jeff puts up a real hard fight for Mario maker, but I think he'll get outnumbered by either mgsv, or something else that even surpasses that (*cough *cough. Fallout 4. *cough)

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta be MGSV. It's in my top five of all time, and after 150 hours, I'm still playing it.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Bloodborne because it's the only game on that list I've played. I bought the Witcher 3 and really want to play it, but after hearing it's 200 hours long, I don't think my adult-life and the completionist raging inside me are going to get along well on that one....

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy I have played almost none of the big games this year. I often wait for sales on big games, so my top games of the year are usually made up mostly of games from last year - as least as far as the bigger single player games go. For example, I doubt I'm playing either MGSV or Witcher 3 before sometime next year.

So anyways my favorites this year for what's actually come out this year would probably be

• Undertale
  • Rocket League
  • Grow Home

And as always, Dota, CSGO, Diablo etc take up the majority of my time and interest anyways.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Arkham Knight and Rocket League.

I really want to say MGSV but I have not played enough to say yet.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I like my open world games full of quests and adventuring and this game has it in spades.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. Pokémon Shuffle
    No joke: this game (on the 3DS, haven't tried the mobile version) has brought me the most joy throughout the year and I've spent over 180 hours within it. I don't even think it is that great of a game, I just really like it.
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (unfinished - around Main Mission 14 - had to leave for University so won't be able to finish it until Christmas)
  3. Super Mario Maker
Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Witcher 3. No contest. I think it's one of the best game in the last decade or so and I've loved it from the very start (before patch mania) until I stopped playing after about 200 hours. (Can't wait for the first expansion.)

MGS V is second so far and Bloodborne third. Both are outstanding games, but like I said, I just really, really love The Witcher.

Fallout might still upset this, which would be great, but I just can't imagine it can top The Witcher.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How did Ori and the Blind Forest not make that list! It's not just GOTY material but stands to give a running for game of a generation. That game is a fucking marvel. I understand that it seems like it came out forever ago but I sure hope it isn't somehow forgotten in GOTY talks.

gnomeonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By gnomeonfire

Witcher 3 definitely. It would probably be in my top games ever if it wasn't for one major pet peeve of mine. I don't care for the chaining up of favor quests you're made to go through. First its go talk to person 1, who then wants you to go talk to persons 2 - 4, who each want a favor from you or for you to go talk to even more people. It got really tiresome at some point.

Marokai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

FFXIV: Heavensward at the moment, I'd say, but there's still so much more for me to play. Dancing All Night, Mario Maker, MGS V, and others. Great year.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Destiny: The Taken King was my biggest surprise of the year, but as for best game of the year so far? Definitely MGS:V with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne a close second.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By IVDAMKE

This year has been a dream for me, The Witcher and Metal Gear are my two favourite franchises and I'd probably put Fallout in my top 5. 2-3 missions into MGSV I was ready to astounded and believe that a game could beat TW3 for my favourite game of the year. Sadly at around 10 hours in I began to have trouble deciding whether Bloodborne or MGSV will take second place. I feel like MGSV plays the best but as an overall package it really suffers, being someone who gets no joy in fultoning, everything in MGSV besides the stealth in bases starts to fall apart and just hamper the entire experience.

TW3 is definitely my #1, they managed to make a game that took me 118 hours to complete where almost everything I did felt meaningful and not a grind. That as far as I'm concerned is a huge achievement in blending gameplay and story together.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 for sure.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far it's Until Dawn at the top with Technobabylon a close second and SOMA on third.
This has been a weird year for me as I haven't really enjoyed any of the "AAA" games so far.

Musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Metal Gear Solid V I mean... c'mon this isn't a question.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Witcher 3, Mad Max, GTA V PC

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 198

User Lists: 58

#47 riostarwind  Moderator  Online

I hate to just choose the latest game I've played but it really feels like Metal Gear Solid V is the best game I've played this year so far. The Witcher 3 is a obvious runner up material for me atm along with the fun times I had playing Splatoon.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3, hands down. But I think Fallout 4 is going to surprise people. I had to check out of MGSV around mission 12. Game is boring af.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ninnanuam

GTA V PC is the game I've liked the most.

Witcher 3 was pretty high up there too, but all the fucking boating in Skellegie was a fucking drag.

tbk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Though I am bit more partial to the cast of Dragonfall.