To PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gamers, are you ready to jump onto the next-gen?

• 57 results
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll To PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gamers, are you ready to jump onto the next-gen? (75 votes)

Yes, I'm ready to jump onto next-gen 43%
No thanks, I'd rather stick with last-gen 35%
Unsure, I would stay with last-gen before I move on 23%

I've heard that both PS5 and Xbox Series X have quite a lot of games in their library that are shared in between in next-gen (PS5/Xbox Series X/S) and last-gen (PS4/Xbox One) so this makes quite a lot of gamers unsure if they want to jump to next-gen or not.

Yet I've known a lot of people were demanding PS5 and Xbox Series X to be restocked, meaning that a lot of them are ready to jump into the next gen era.

PlayStation 5's first parties being shared with PS4

• Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Horizon Forbidden West (Confirmed)
  • God Of War Ragnarok (Confirmed)
  • Gran Turismo 7 (Most likely)

Xbox Series X/S's first parties being shared with Xbox One

• Forza Horizon 4
  • Sea Of Thieves
  • Gears 5
  • Gears Tactics
  • Halo Infinite

PS5 and Xbox Series X's third parties being shared with their respective predecessors:

• Overcooked! All You Can Eat
  • DiRT 5
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • NBA 2K21
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • Destiny 2
  • Fortnite
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Just Dance 2021
  • Ride 4
  • F1 2021
  • Far Cry 6
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  • And much more...
 • 
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Sorry guys, on my previous thread, it appears that many users don't understand what I meant so I wanted to make a new one.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll be waiting for the pro versions of the consoles given how few exclusives are currently availible.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kunakai said:

I'll be waiting for the pro versions of the consoles given how few exclusives are currently available.

I guess the high-end iterations of PS5 and Xbox Series X may release by 2023 or 2024.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

The pace of console-exclusive titles right now is slow enough that I don't feel much urgency to get the new consoles.

Even with the PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/Xbox One eras, it was at least 1-2 years before there were enough significant titles to really justify the purchase, and that time period may be even longer with this generation, due at least in part to COVID related delays.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought an Xbox Series X and a PS5 already. I didn't really get them for the exclusives, I got them because they make current games better and because their prices won't be dropping anytime soon so I figured might as well enjoy them longer rather than waiting.

The faster loading with the SSDs is great. The better performance and frame rates are...nice but don't make a huge difference to me. I really like the Xbox Series X's Quick Resume feature and hope that they continue to refine and enhance it (let me use it to create save states in current gen games and make it more reliable.) The Dualsense controller features have potential but at this point only Astro's Playroom really makes full use of them. Even for something like Returnal they do not feel at all essential.

This gen getting a new console is like upgrading your computer. You get better performance, faster loads, a few games that will not run on the old hardware, but the lines between generations are much more blurred than they have ever been before.

For Xbox the interface isn't even different. The PS5 interface is different from PS4's, but it's mostly cosmetic and, to be frank, the PS5 interface is kind of a pain in some ways.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm quite content with my ps4 for right now. Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarök might push me over the edge, but who knows when those are actually coming out- and if ps5 supply will be reliable by then.

the only other announced title that is a potential system-seller for me is Senua's Saga: Hellblade II; but we also don't know when that's coming either.

i didn't get a ps4 until that library was very mature- and honestly it was an outstanding decision. i got a system and several tremendous games for relatively little money.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By AV_Gamer

I already did with the PS5 and I haven't regretted it so far. I came for an original PS4 and the performance from one console to another is night and day. PS4 games run great, run better with the official PS5 upgrade, and PS5 games even though very few have been great. If you can luck out and find a console at retail price, I say make the jump and get it, while supplies last.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought an Xbox Series X and a PS5 already. I didn't really get them for the exclusives, I got them because they make current games better and because their prices won't be dropping anytime soon so I figured might as well enjoy them longer rather than waiting.

The faster loading with the SSDs is great. The better performance and frame rates are...nice but don't make a huge difference to me. I really like the Xbox Series X's Quick Resume feature and hope that they continue to refine and enhance it (let me use it to create save states in current gen games and make it more reliable.) The Dualsense controller features have potential but at this point only Astro's Playroom really makes full use of them. Even for something like Returnal they do not feel at all essential.

This gen getting a new console is like upgrading your computer. You get better performance, faster loads, a few games that will not run on the old hardware, but the lines between generations are much more blurred than they have ever been before.

For Xbox the interface isn't even different. The PS5 interface is different from PS4's, but it's mostly cosmetic and, to be frank, the PS5 interface is kind of a pain in some ways.

Very true, I like to have new gaming consoles in general as they make me happy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is "is the next gen ready for us?" I think the answer is conclusively no.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gtxforza

@mellotronrules said:

i'm quite content with my ps4 for right now. Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarök might push me over the edge, but who knows when those are actually coming out- and if ps5 supply will be reliable by then.

the only other announced title that is a potential system-seller for me is Senua's Saga: Hellblade II; but we also don't know when that's coming either.

i didn't get a ps4 until that library was very mature- and honestly it was an outstanding decision. i got a system and several tremendous games for relatively little money.

We'll find out Horizon Forbidden West, God of War: Ragnarok, and Gran Turismo 7's performance how will it turn out on PS4 and PS5 consoles.

I have a feeling that more people would prefer to buy PS5 or Xbox Series X's versions of whichever specific game over PS4 and Xbox One versions, just like how Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare on PS4 and Xbox One managed to outsell PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gtxforza

@av_gamer said:

I already did with the PS5 and I haven't regretted it so far. I came for an original PS4 and the performance from one console to another is night and day. PS4 games run great, run better with the official PS5 upgrade, and PS5 games even though very few have been great. If you can luck out and find a console at retail price, I say make the jump and get it, while supplies last.

I'm glad to hear you managed to buy a PS5 without regretting it.

Indeed the PS5 versions of whichever specific games run better than PS4 versions.

Loading Video...

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pace of console-exclusive titles right now is slow enough that I don't feel much urgency to get the new consoles.

Even with the PS3/PS4 and Xbox 360/Xbox One eras, it was at least 1-2 years before there were enough significant titles to really justify the purchase, and that time period may be even longer with this generation, due at least in part to COVID related delays.

I see, and I guess PS4 and Xbox One will get lesser games to be released between 2022 to 2023 while a lot of gamers are jumping to PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Just like in 2015 where PS3 and Xbox 360 both already got lesser games being released, due to most gamers decided to jump onto PS4 and Xbox One.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im always a late adopter, that way I get everything on the cheap. I got a PS4 3 years ago and harldy ever spend more than $20 on a game. I would rather get a Switch right now than a PS5, Xbox X.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 3rd party racing game that I would really want to see right now for PS5 and Xbox Series X is Ridge Racer!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gtxforza
@leviathan_dive said:

Im always a late adopter, that way I get everything on the cheap. I got a PS4 3 years ago and harldy ever spend more than $20 on a game. I would rather get a Switch right now than a PS5, Xbox X.

Good choice for you to buy a Switch at this moment, but in between 2022 to 2024, it's up to you to buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I already bought PS5 and XSX, because I like my games working as smoothly as possible, and I would have to buy those consoles anyway, so why not now. A no-brainer for me.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidman said:

I already bought PS5 and XSX, because I like my games working as smoothly as possible, and I would have to buy those consoles anyway, so why not now. A no-brainer for me.

There is nothing bad about owning both PS5 and Xbox Series X because everybody wants to collect which ever gaming consoles they want.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE SUPPLY CHAIN WON'T LET ME.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

THE SUPPLY CHAIN WON'T LET ME.

That's unfortunate about the COVID-19 delaying the production, well hopefully you can buy yourself a PS5 or Xbox Series X by next year.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's looking more likely I'm a year away from getting one. At least at a reasonable price.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've normally been a fairly early adopter. Got the Xbox 1 year after launch, Xbox 360 at launch, PS4 one year after launch. I'll probably be similar the PS5...thinking of getting it this holiday depending on supply. The effect of the pandemic is winding down, by 2022 when I've only had my console for a few months is when games will be shifting to the new stuff. If supply on PS5/XSX is still bad by this holiday I'll wait until sometime in 2022. I don't care enough to go through a struggle to purchase one. It makes it easy that 2021 is sort of a gap year for the games industry anyway.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: That is my plan and Im sticking to it!

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gtxforza: Not sure what you wanted to say there, as I never said there's anything bad about owing both of them.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gtxforza

@kidman said:

@gtxforza: Not sure what you wanted to say there, as I never said there's anything bad about owing both of them.

I was trying to prevent elitists in-case if they commit to argue against us.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone fortunate enough to get both the Series X and PS5, I’m quite happy with the decision, even with the default being cross-gen at the moment. In fact, I kinda prefer cross-gen being default in this case because I have a ton of friends who haven’t made the leap yet and it’s great how seamless it is to play with them. Like, Halo Infinite would be a worse game if I couldn’t roll with my regular crew for team slayer. Eventually I may sing a different tune, but for now I’m perfectly content with a cross-gen God of War sequel.

matsunoshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My 6 year old PC (god, has it been that long already?) has been satisfying all my needs for gaming at the moment. I have an Xbox One X which is basically a GamePass and Twitch box. I haven't seen anything compelling enough to pull me into the next-gen consoles yet, but maybe I am just jaded and old.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I still want to get through my backlog, and I am waiting for the big games that I am looking forward to:

Grand Theft Auto 6

Final Fantasy 7R: Part 2

Final Fantasy 16

Dying Light 2

Gotham Knights

Elden Ring

Elder Scrolls 6

Starfield

Etc, So its going to be a while for me, personally. There is nothing out now that makes me want to jump through the hoops to get a new console.

OSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OSail

No, the availability and cost of hardware, along with the lack of memory on the consoles themselves being a concern for someone who plays a variety of things at one given time means nothing of the new consoles seems worthwhile. When the prices come down, internal storage is increased/supported external SDD storage is much cheaper, and there are more specific exclusive games...that's when I'll hit. And only for an Xbox system with a disk drive.

If my Xbox One S dies and my ludicrous Rock Band 4 collection can't be played any more I will probably change my mind, but hopefully this console holds on for many more years. If Hitman still runs very well, and the vast majority of Game Pass games work better than okay an an Xbox One S, there's really not that much appeal in a fancy new box.

That and the PS5 controllers feel deeply uncomfortable to hold and use, so I'm fine with never touching one of those ever again. Not worth injuring a hand/wrist over.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gtxforza

@osail said:

No, the availability and cost of hardware, along with the lack of memory on the consoles themselves being a concern for someone who plays a variety of things at one given time means nothing of the new consoles seems worthwhile. When the prices come down, internal storage is increased/supported external SDD storage is much cheaper, and there are more specific exclusive games...that's when I'll hit. And only for an Xbox system with a disk drive.

If my Xbox One S dies and my ludicrous Rock Band 4 collection can't be played any more I will probably change my mind, but hopefully this console holds on for many more years. If Hitman still runs very well, and the vast majority of Game Pass games work better than okay an an Xbox One S, there's really not that much appeal in a fancy new box.

That and the PS5 controllers feel deeply uncomfortable to hold and use, so I'm fine with never touching one of those ever again. Not worth injuring a hand/wrist over.

Okay, I see, if your Xbox One S dies then I highly recommend you to buy an Xbox Series X since it has a disc drive and backward compatibility.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmoyer83 said:

I still want to get through my backlog, and I am waiting for the big games that I am looking forward to:

Grand Theft Auto 6

Final Fantasy 7R: Part 2

Final Fantasy 16

Dying Light 2

Gotham Knights

Elden Ring

Elder Scrolls 6

Starfield

Etc, So its going to be a while for me, personally. There is nothing out now that makes me want to jump through the hoops to get a new console.

It would take a lot of time for GTA 6 to happen since making games is more expensive than ever.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

I don't really count because to my surprise, a few months ago my brother luckily got both PS5 and Xbox Series X in one day from a Sears (of all places) sale online. We originally thought 'well, it'd be nice to get at least one of the systems before the end of the year.' So far, and to my surprise, I'm still playing the Xbox more. The third-party games, for the most part, I've wanted on the XSX, and the back compat, enhanced games makes me keep coming back, but I also still use the Xbox for streaming apps like Disney Plus, HBO Max, etc. I've only played Demon's Souls as a new new-gen title on PS5, but the enhanced games on there are also great. The recent The Last of Us Part II patch has gotten me back into that game. Although it's nice to have these new consoles, I will say that my excitement level of finally getting them wasn't that high, but I partially chalk that up to other things going on in life.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

I don't really count because to my surprise, a few months ago my brother luckily got both PS5 and Xbox Series X in one day from a Sears (of all places) sale online. We originally thought 'well, it'd be nice to get at least one of the systems before the end of the year.' So far, and to my surprise, I'm still playing the Xbox more. The third-party games, for the most part, I've wanted on the XSX, and the back compat, enhanced games makes me keep coming back, but I also still use the Xbox for streaming apps like Disney Plus, HBO Max, etc. I've only played Demon's Souls as a new new-gen title on PS5, but the enhanced games on there are also great. The recent The Last of Us Part II patch has gotten me back into that game. Although it's nice to have these new consoles, I will say that my excitement level of finally getting them wasn't that high, but I partially chalk that up to other things going on in life.

Congratulations that you've managed to obtain both the PS5 and Xbox Series X, I hope you will have great times.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gtxforza

@leviathan_dive said:

@gtxforza: That is my plan and I'm sticking to it!

For Switch, there are tons of great games to choose from, you can either choose to buy the original or lite model right now.

If you personally prefer 4K resolution then I suggest you wait for Switch Pro which is rumoured to release by fall 2021.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dear, I forgot to include MLB The Show 21 as part of PS5's first parties even though it is shared with PS4, Xbox Series X & Xbox One. I've heard the official Major League Baseball (MLB) was the one who wanted SIE's San Diego Studio to make the franchise become multiplat then Sony Interactive Entertainment approved that, as I know the majority of licensed sports entertainment games are pretty much third parties.

To me, San Diego Studios should have left Sony after the MLB The Show franchise became multiplat.

By the way, I'm not a fan of baseball, to begin with, so I wouldn't really care about MLB games but yet the only baseball game I liked is in Wii Sports.

Leviathan_Dive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: Yeah Im looking forward to Nintendo's announcement of the Pro or what ever they call it. Cant wait to play Zelda BOTW, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles DE especially.

SigFigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm good sticking with the PS4/XOne for now. PS5/SX haven't really released anything that males me feel like I need to go get a new console with the exception of Ratchet and Medium. Also my TV is over 10yrs old so I wouldn't even be able to really experience the percs of next gen anyway.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The fact it's been 7 months and I still can't buy a PS5 for love nor money is pretty insane

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll upgrade from ps4 to ps5 when its not a hassle to find one but its not something I'm bothered about enough to put in the effort to catch one in stock.

Trying to use this time as motivation to tackle the backlog, which so far has got me playing BF5 a lot... Oh well.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Yeah, but to be fair the Wii had shortages for well over a year.

The PS5 shortage is different because Sony is generally better with its supply chain and of course because of Covid, but console shortages lasting a long time isn't actually unprecedented.

Still sucks though.

swthompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My previous rule has been to only adopt new hardware when there's at least 5 games that I want to play that I can't get anywhere else, out already on shelves. By the end of the year we'll have the PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy 7 Remake DLC, but that's not a terribly compelling get. We'll see if E3 brings anything else, but honestly with the hardware situation I don't see too many devs going next-gen only.

On the flip side, compared to previous generations, I have never been more inundated with games to play on my existing hardware (I have a PC with a GTX 980, a One X, and a Switch). As the list of games I consider "must plays" for my own personal tastes are typically widely available multi-plats (Resident Evil, Yakuza) or indie titles, new hardware just doesn't seem all that important. I haven't seen much my current devices can't handle or feels notably downgraded. My GTX 980 definitely struggled with Resident Evil Village's poor PC port, but I'm playing it on Xbox now and have no complaints, looks and plays great.

Also, the last 18 months have been such heavy gaming periods in my life. I think this summer my interests may start to swing to other hobbies, and games will take a backseat anyway.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Yeah, but to be fair the Wii had shortages for well over a year.

The PS5 shortage is different because Sony is generally better with its supply chain and of course because of Covid, but console shortages lasting a long time isn't actually unprecedented.

Still sucks though.

I mean there's a global chip shortage, sure, but still. Every now and then a batch turns up, but they IMMEDIATELY get bought up my scalpers and sold for 300% price. The fact that retailers are still allowing this is also insane. You should be able to buy a next gen console

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you really circumvent the scalpers, though?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Covid is a large cause of the scalping too, because so much retail moved online. It's much harder to scalp if you have to go to the store in person and you're limited to one console per person. You can't bot a physical store. There would still be scalping (and Wiis were scalped) but it would be much less.

I agree that more could be done to fight the scalping, and the best way would be moving to a lottery system like Newegg and PlayStation Direct use, rather than a "try to log in and check out while the website crashes" like the other stores use.

But again, the Wii had a lot of the same problems. It was scalped, and even though most sales were physical it was hard to find for a long time.

Covid responsible not just for the chip shortage but also for the movement to online retail and a big increase in demand for video games. So it's a triple threat here.

prolurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By prolurker

PS4 Pro -> Series X

The 2 biggest reasons being gamepass and the Bethesda acquisition. I got kind of burnt out on Sony exclusives, especially this past year with the pandemic. Same thing happened to me with the Switch a few years before that. I like selling old hardware to go and pick up something new, offers a lot in terms of games and new technology.

fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps5 in my country is 1000 euro , so i will wait a little more :D

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im gonna hold out for the pro version console. Not gonna make the same mistake I made for PS4 when I got one a few months before the pro was announced.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ignoring my PC for a sec.

Because I bought a PS4 and a Switch in 2019, and about 20 games for both consoles since buying them, my backlog is long enough to last me for a few years. I've literally have games like The Last of Us, Spider-Man, inFamous, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and other notable exclusives on my shelf for almost two years and I've only put them in their respective console to install them. I played Dad of Boy, but that was the only big game that I had the time to actually finish.

hugador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I canceled my ps5 order last year because paying for a next-gen machine with no next-gen games available at launch or any time close to launch make no sense and is not what I am used to. The Ps4 game upgrades and dualsense controller is nice but not enough. I want games not a Ps4 pro#2.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fjor: That's unfortunate how PS5 is so expensive in your country.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hugador said:

I canceled my ps5 order last year because paying for a next-gen machine with no next-gen games available at launch or any time close to launch make no sense and is not what I am used to. The Ps4 game upgrades and dualsense controller is nice but not enough. I want games not a Ps4 pro#2.

Ok, please take your time to decide when you want to jump over PS5 in the near future.