Tony Hawk Ride : Are You on Board?

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By TrashMustache

At this juncture, it is safe to assume that no polls are needed to confirm the following; the bulk of fans out there (if any left) don't, won't and can't take this title seriously. Which is ironic considering that all previous installments handled every single skating aspect in the most absurd ways possible, making it the cult, pot pourri experience we have so thrillingly enjoyed in (and out of) its prime. Not that game titles should ever be read into that much, but RIDE suggests nothing more than a gimmicky attempt, not at rebooting a franchise but establishing a new one to a new, bigger demographic. I know i won't put down a hundred bucks on the table to Ride a board except a real one, and how unfair and one-sided a view it may be, i don't want this to fail, but i know i shouldn't exactly expect a cameo by Officer Dick either. 

I don't care for Ride in its own respect, but i care for Ride because it's the only Tony Hawk game i'm gonna get. In the teaser trailer, Tony Hawk refers to the game as "the most virtually real skating experience" or some such nonsense, which i really can't help but to translate as "we focused on basic peripheral moves, which means we took all the insane fun out of it, forgot to put any effort in having amusing secret skaters, as for the graphics we like our ps2 polygon models just fine, our soundtrack is a mishmash of awful music which i don't even have a name for, emo-evolved perhaps, and ow yeah we're also totally not into international levels anymore, wait what kind of game did we make?"    

The first four Tony Hawk games seemed to come out of an enormously creative team that really wanted to make the best each time. You could feel the passion when you played it and that's really what is was all about. It really went downhill when Bam Margera basically got Carte Blanche and the games were heavily overshadowed by a giant jackass. In all installments though there was a special something to find, except for Proving Ground. A game i bought for fifteen bucks, played through once, just because this nostalgic hearted boy in me was glad to "skate" again. 

Speaking of which, I myself am not anti Skate. EA has done a great job at making an original, non-tony hawk game, and has this way acquired a well diserved, albeit humble audience, and i respect that, but i don't look for realism, i look for skating in space with spiderman and a narrator telling me I suck when i fall balls first down a ramp and spill some afwully pixelated blood over the skate park, and while i'm at it i love flying above the levels and getting stuck in undesigned spaces, visting aliens, slowing down time, land 20 some tricks before being launched into a canon over a TNT rigged bridge. On the way i might hold up a basket under a bird's ass and collect its eggs as fast as i can. Yep, tony hawk at its best was basically an LSD trip.

I can't really say i have a point writing this, i don't think i really wanted to make one, i feel like 1999 is a million years ago, and there's no turning back. To end with a question, as to keep the conversation going, would you rather get a re-release of your favourite tony hawk game with achievement/trophy support and graphicly enhanced features for 20 bucks, or get Tony hawk ride for free?

thanks for reading :)    

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

If it was around $90 USD, I would be more inclined to.  $120 is just too much for this game, especially since the board will currently only work for one game.  It would have been smarter for Activision to have multiple developers making games for the board, as having multiple uses would make swallowing the price of the bundle much easier.  If more developers jump 'on board' with this peripheral and design games for it (I'm personally hoping for an SSX game), then I might pick it up.

For now... Rock Band will be all the plastic peripherals I need.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Looks like they're trying to get into the whole Wii success of interactive gaming, and the part that sucks about that is the game will have to be dumbed down because of that.  Also, I could see a snow boarding game doing that maybe (it would still suck), but a skateboarding game where most of the time you are flicking the board around really doesn't fit right with that little toy board that may as well be a wii fit balance board.
and to answer your question, I would totally rather get a re-release of a tony hawk game with achievements/trophies and updated visuals, then to play Tony Hawk Ride for 10 minutes and then put it aside so I can play some real games.  I prefer EA's Skate now though, because there's a lot of depth to everything so it never gets old for me.