Top 20 games all time

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@McGrittles: No blops 2 preemptively placed?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#52  Edited By GERALTITUDE

My list would include some of these games. This is a sweet list but it's lacking genre/platform diversity.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@GERALTITUDE: I count 13 genres, the RPG presence is heavy but not that heavy. Number of platforms could be varied but I'd say it spans 4-5 generations; now I could've picked Mario 3 instead of Super Mario World but I've played more Super Mario World.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By Dagbiker

I like how they are all console games.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55  Edited By GERALTITUDE

It's varied, but not varied enough for a list representing the best games of all time!

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JOURN3Y

MGS3 is the second weakest MGS game, second only to MGS4. MGS2 is the greatest MGS game only because MGS1 is fucking amazing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By musubi

Dragon Age Origins and Ninja Gaiden Black are the only games that matter.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#58  Edited By csl316
@Dagbiker

Except how he listed WoW, Starcraft, Doom II, and (originally) The Witcher 2.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Dagbiker

@Fredchuckdave said:

@GERALTITUDE: I count 13 genres, the RPG presence is heavy but not that heavy. Number of platforms could be varied but I'd say it spans 4-5 generations; now I could've picked Mario 3 instead of Super Mario World but I've played more Super Mario World.

Then why do you want us to justify your list if your not going to change it? You don't need to make a forum post every time you make a list you know?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Dagbiker: Yeah like Starcraft, Doom II, Witcher 2 and what? I guarantee I've played more obscure asinine PC games than you have sir, but they're not exactly flawless nor universally palpable.

@JOURN3Y: Now if you said Peacewalker was the best MGS game then I'd be more interested in what you have to say, but not a word.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#61  Edited By StarvingGamer
@Fredchuckdave Meh, opinions.

The way I made my list was by picking out my 59 favorite games then moving them up and down based on which game I would rather play. Starcraft ended up somewhere around 23.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dagbiker

@csl316 said:

@Dagbiker

You have me on WoW, but Starcraft was put out on the N64, I have it. Doom II is on XBLA, and the Witcher 2 is on XBOX360.

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By LastNinja
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@StarvingGamer: Yeah I gave up on arguing whole lists a while ago but I'd be interested in having a discussion on the merits and impact of Starcraft vs. Starcraft II; though I guess being the only RTS could theoretically be better than being one of a handful of good RTS's; even if you're largely identical to your predecessor.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dagbiker

@Fredchuckdave: Oh, you can, can you? How can you guarantee that?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Dagbiker: I have magical superpowers

@LastNinja: Eh at some point I stop feeling like the games at the bottom of the list are even vaguely comparable to the games at the top. For me that's around like top 35 probably; for some of the other people in the thread they couldn't even make it to top 20; but I do think 10 is too short.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Nadril

In no order.

• Half Life
  • Half Life 2
  • DoTA / DoTA 2
  • Black Mesa
  • Hotline Miami
  • System Shock 2
  • Ultimate Doom
  • Doom 2
  • Portal
  • Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex : Human Revolution
  • Bastion
  • Braid
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Chrono Cross
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Starcraft 2
LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By LastNinja

@Fredchuckdave: I guess It depends on how many games you've played that you really really liked.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Ares42: Props for having Heroes on your list, though in that case I have no idea which one to pick between King's Bounty, Heroes I, III, and V (I like it because it's brutally difficult), and maybe the new King's Bounty games as well.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Nottle

@StarvingGamer: I should probably play all the games on your list. Someone with MGS2, Earthbound, and Bayonetta in their top ten knows what's up.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By csl316
@Dagbiker said:

@csl316 said:

@Dagbiker

You have me on WoW, but Starcraft was put out on the N64, I have it. Doom II is on XBLA, and the Witcher 2 is on XBOX360.

I'm not trying to get you on anything.  I'm just 100% certain he's not talking about Starcraft 64.  They were primarily PC games and he's even addressed them as such.  Anywho,  now that I'm off my phone I should add my top 20 in here.
Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ares42

@Fredchuckdave: Ye, was a close one, had a good amount of honorable mentions too (and just keep coming up with more the more I think about it). Never really got into the newer stuff of that genre, but remember putting a TON of time into HOMM3.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By Hunter5024

When you say Final Fantasy III is the 13th greatest game of all time, do you mean the one with the onion knights, or are you just a person who likes to perpetuate confusion?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Hunter5024: Oh thought I edited it earlier, should be less (or more) confusing now. Thanks for not being particularly pedantic about it, have a cookie.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GnaTSoL

I wish Giantbomb would play Super MEtroid in some retro quicklook. Show that game some love. IF only it had a big player base.....

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77  Edited By Levio

You need to add QUEst 64, it has 200 levels

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Ares42: The weird thing about playing Heroes V is that it makes you so much better at the old games so now I can't play them without continuously gaming the system and kind of trivializing the challenge. It's still fun but success becomes a foregone conclusion at some point. Heroes 2 has some amazing music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V0jHblkspo

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hunter5024

@Fredchuckdave: Ah the good old slashy. That's Patricks favored method of pronunciation as well, but personally I say it's high time we just call it Six so that the Onion Knights can be Three at last. Then again I refuse to call Aeris Aerith, so I am a complete hypocrite.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Zuldim

@ShadowVirus said:

@Zuldim said:

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is all twenty slots. DONE.

I totally agree with this. Well except I actually have different games for slots 2-19, I made a top 20 list a while ago:

My Top 20 Games From the Past 20 Years

Honestly, it's probably not my number 1, but it's probably sitting around number 5, behind Fallout: New Vegas, Portal (/Portal 2), Mass Effect 2 (or maybe 3, depending on how contrary I'm feeling at the time), and Majora's Mask. Still, as far as games to be considered better than you, that's not a bad list, you should feel proud TTYD.

I think that game is criminally underrated, purely because it seems like most of the world has forgotten it exists, either remembering the good-but-not-great original, or the still-good-but-why-is-it-called-paper-mario sequel. Almost died when Brad said Bowser's Inside Story was the pinnacle of Mario related humor (though admittedly I haven't played Bowser's Inside Story) in the Sticker Star quick look. TTYD played great, and was <i>really really funny</i>! You so rarely see that combo, it earned that place a special place in my heart a long time ago.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Hunter5024: Well if Origins had had 2 and 3 on it I probably would have played it at some point but most of the FF3 remakes came out much later and I sort of knew from playing 2 that it would be underwhelming and have still never played it; thus 3 is still 6 and vice versa.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#82  Edited By Raven10

@Fredchuckdave: I find that I no longer have the patience to play a single game for dozens of hours. Personally, I would prefer something short and sweet over something long and slow. 25 hours is about my limit these days. Sometimes I'll play something longer, but usually at the 20 hour mark I am ready to be done. I also agree that Uncharted 2 was worth the money and I did only play it once. At some point in many people's lives, time becomes more valuable than money. There are a lot of games to play and not a ton of time to play them. I would prefer to play five 10 hour games than one 50 hour game. But maybe that's just me. People don't judge any other form of art by its length. It's weird to me that games alone have this requirement. No one says an 1000 page book is better than a 300 page book simply because of the additional pages. The author needs to tell a story and if that story can be told in 200 pages then that is the length the book should be. In fact most would argue that quite a few lengthy books suffer from being too drawn out or overwritten. The same goes with movies. If I told you that a movie was 10 hours long you would look at me like I was crazy. The best movies are around 2 hours long. That isn't a time chosen because of its value to film goers but because that is about how long the average person can focus on one thing without needing a break. The key is to make something the best length for the experience you are trying to achieve. After all, people pay millions of dollars for a single painting whereas a game is made up of thousands of paintings yet sells for no more than $60. If you look at it that way you are getting a huge bargain.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: No top 20 yet? I'll accept 1-20 = Vagrant Story

@Raven10: Hey my favorite book is 2400 pages and possibly longer in Chinese. Though I do like Heart of Darkness quite a lot and that's only like 70.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@csl316 said:

This is it, guys. The DEFINITIVE list!

At last!

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By Tylea002

@Fredchuckdave said:

Top 10 lists suck, 20 > 10 therefore top 20 > top 10

That's the best logic I've ever seen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By csl316
@Fredchuckdave: This is hard, and I gave up on writing descriptions.   But here goes.  My rules were one per series, and it still has to hold up gameplay wise!

20. Contra: Hard Corps
19. Valkyrie Profile II: Silmeria
18. Donkey Kong Country Returns
17. Tomb Raider II
16. Super Metroid
15. Perfect Dark (XBLA)
14. Chrono Cross
13. Twisted Metal: Black
12. Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
11. Streets of Rage 2
10. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
9.  Devil May Cry
8.  Starcraft: Brood War
7.  Mass Effect 3
6.  Metal Gear Solid
5.  Doom
4.  Vagrant Story
3.  Halo: Combat Evolved
2.  Super Mario World
1.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Seems reasonable.  Though I'm sure #7 would get hate.
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Yeah I more or less just gunned it in like 2 minutes; I have a contextual idea of what most of my favorite games are and then go from there; I'm happy about what happened to Tetris though, a necessary casualty. Halo above VS? Or really Halo in the same list as VS is kind of weird; maybe played a lot of LAN parties or something? Chrono Cross Soundtrack is probably one of the best games of all time; can't be said for the rest of the game though; if only it was just a soundtrack, Dario, and the new game plus mechanic. Tomb Raider 2 was great! Other random assorted one sentence opinions!

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Polls are awesome.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By csl316
@Fredchuckdave: I'll admit that the original Halo has nostalgia going for it.  We played the shit out of it, and even had LANs going to settle disputes between neighborhoods.  If we won basketball and hockey that week, but they won football and baseball... Halo would step in.  Though last year we ran through Anniversary and the madness that can happen in the wide open legendary campaign still can't be matched (why's there a Banshee in this tiny room??).  Even going for the Library achievements actually made that sort of memorable.  I have no shame in liking that series purely on the tactical options its gameplay presents, and it's the only shooter series I ever feel like playing online.  Well... aside from the occasional Quake Live match.

Oh, and Chrono Cross made it since I played that before Trigger.  I love the soundtrack, the combat, and got a lot out of getting all the characters back in the day.  Looking back on the story, though?  Let's say CT has it beat.

Oh fuck, I forgot Tony Hawk 3.  My whole list is now wrong.
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@csl316: Interesting stuff. I enjoyed Halo at the time and still like elements of it today; mainly it's probably the last game that I'll remember playing local co-op extensively with; which generates some quite fond memories. Shit talking is so much better in person.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#91  Edited By sammo21

I think that top lists are the worst thing about video games.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By csl316
@Fredchuckdave: It is, that's why if a game has local co-op I'll still drive to my old neighborhood and play it with people there.
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Dan_CiTi

1. Tetris 
2. Link to the Past 
3. Super Mario Bros.  

we're good. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#94  Edited By jakob187

Oh, you want me to post a list of the Top 20 Games in my opinion? Okay.

1. Vagrant Story
  2. Mega Man 2
  3. Doom II
  4. Super Mario Bros. 3
  5. Warcraft II
  6. Zelda: A Link To The Past
  7. Super Metroid
  8. Final Fantasy VI
  9. Halo: Combat Evolved
  10. Full Throttle
  11. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  12. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  13. Diablo II
  14. Battlefield 2
  15. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  16. Call of Duty 4
  17. Civilization II
  18. Dark Cloud 2
  19. Road Rash II
  20. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#95  Edited By sweep  Moderator

This thread hasn't been touched for a week but I wanted to just bump it so that everyone knows that it's been locked. I mean, I could have just locked it, right? That would have been the logical thing to do. But I think you, the people, need to know exactly how dumb this thread is.

It's pretty dumb, you guys.

If you are going to make a thread that's actually a poll, they should probably relate to one another and not just be random words your brain vomited out onto the internet. Secondly, you shouldn't be making threads specifically just to post a list of games that you like, as that does not promote discussion. In fact, in this case, the only thing it promotes is confusion.

So yeah, rest assured, Giant Bomb. This shit is getting loooooooooooooooocked.