Top 5 Online FPS of all time!

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

1. Counter Strike. 

No surprise really, it is the most popular of all time that revolutionized everything and is still being played by millions today. What I love Counter Strike for, which really sets it apart from the rest is the hitboxes and how you can really aim for them.  Sure other FPS have head shots and that but the shooting always feels more floaty and the hitboxes don't really stand out like they do in CS. What I also love is you don't respawn until the round has ended and there is none of that leveling up stuff. Online FPS today have all become about gaining XP and achievements, I hate that and this is why it's still my favourite, no nonsense good shooting. 

2. Team Fortress 2. 

I'm not really a fan of how Valve have done the updates because it upsets the game for a month while everyone unlocks and, I just don't like the system they've chosen to unlock them. However if you look past that then you find an Online FPS which such depth and character to which we've never seen before. Just how they've given each class a personality is genius and more importantly, they're all fun to play. Just such a frantic crazy fast paced shooter and I just hope the Eng gets a Mech for an unlock instead of a sentry gun, come their update.  

3. Planetside. 

SOE have long but ruined this game, and if you tried to play it today, then you'd find it to be pretty dead. However in 2003 when Planetside came out, it was so innovative and I really thought it would pave the way for the future of the genre. Sadly SOE released a crap expansion 3 months after launch, to which a lot of people left because they were fed up with their management of the game. They then didn't touch the game until 2004 to which they released a lackluster patch called "The bending" which got rid of an island, replaced it with 4 mini islands and noone liked it. They then finally killed off the game by releasing BFRs which were totally overpowered and ruined everything. Even though they are useless today, the population never recovered and SOE ruined another mmorpg.  

However Planetside introduced an MMORPG levelling system, which still allowed for new players to be competitive. Also because it was PVP only, levelling up never felt boring and you always had that incentive to level up, to get a cert, so you could purchase more unlocks. Hundreds of people would fight seamlessly on massive Islands and each person could have their own vehicles from land to air and it made for some frantic mass scale battles. The FPS genre had never seen anything like Planetside before and it was the mass scaled battles which really set it apart and to include vehicles in that, made it even bigger. 

To this day no online FPS has ever gone anywhere near to the scale of Planetside, not even Battlefield, Not even MAG. Just a shame SOE killed it off, though they are making Planetside 2, so fingers crossed SOE have learnt their lessons... though I doubt they have lol. 

My two was hard to pick because it came down to Five Titles; 

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein 
- Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield 
- Tribes 2 
- Joint Operations 
- Battlefield 1942 

Sure there was Unreal tournament and Quake 3 that could be there but these FPS really came at a time when no many people had internet connections and I just remember lots of lag. On top of that they were pretty boring and got old really fast, never did anything that amazing for their time. 

- Rainbow Six 3 was an amazing game but it loses out because of poor controls and it was so buggy.  
- Tribes 2 loses out because it wasn't really popular with my friends and graphically it was ugly and buggy. 
- Battlefield 1942 loses out because to me the game was never really good until DC mod came and fixed it. Also Joint Operations is so much better. 

4. Joint Operations. 

Art wise it was pretty generic and not much to look at, however gameplay and scale is where it excels. It was the first FPS (that you didn't have to pay a subscription or download a mod for) to go to 150 players and the maps were huge, which a great day and night cycle. What tended to happen was because the maps were so big, you could easily sneak behind the enemy and hide in bushes and just wait for them to come pass. You'd be camping there for hours as it went from day and night, some how that was fun because that cycle gave it a sense of being a real battle.   

Now why I chose it over Battlefield 1942 for many reasons but the main one is the fact that vehicles were not overpowered. In Battlefield games they would dominate and Planes would just own up the whole map. However in Joint Operations you needed whole squads to be in them to make them effective, this really built up team play. Also they were mainly for transport, to just get around. So you'd have people who just became Black Hawk pilots and going back and forth to the drop zones, transporting players and that was their role. 

Really amazing game, great scale and had the gameplay mechanics to pull off proper teamplay which Battlefield has never done. 

5. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. 

Back in 2001 this was the first Online FPS I remember that really gave proper support roles. You could be a medic and revive people or give out ammo or just be a gunner. I also loved the class which had the air strikes, so the screen was constantly shaking because of them and felt so hectic. What really made this game for me is the map design more than anything, such great maps such as Deport (I think it was) and Beach. There were tons more and another innovative map was tram which had tram rides back and forth and was a lot of fun. The maps used to go in stages where you had to get the objective and again I'd never seen this before until RTCW.  

The only problem was they released ET in 2003 and killed the game off because then people just got the free version. Personally though I thought RTCW was a lot better, which much better map design. It was really the first online FPS I ever got totally serious about because it came at the time when I switched from 56k to IDSN (or whatever it was called) lol. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Counter Strike. 

No surprise really, it is the most popular of all time that revolutionized everything and is still being played by millions today. What I love Counter Strike for, which really sets it apart from the rest is the hitboxes and how you can really aim for them.  Sure other FPS have head shots and that but the shooting always feels more floaty and the hitboxes don't really stand out like they do in CS. What I also love is you don't respawn until the round has ended and there is none of that leveling up stuff. Online FPS today have all become about gaining XP and achievements, I hate that and this is why it's still my favourite, no nonsense good shooting. 

2. Team Fortress 2. 

I'm not really a fan of how Valve have done the updates because it upsets the game for a month while everyone unlocks and, I just don't like the system they've chosen to unlock them. However if you look past that then you find an Online FPS which such depth and character to which we've never seen before. Just how they've given each class a personality is genius and more importantly, they're all fun to play. Just such a frantic crazy fast paced shooter and I just hope the Eng gets a Mech for an unlock instead of a sentry gun, come their update.  

3. Planetside. 

SOE have long but ruined this game, and if you tried to play it today, then you'd find it to be pretty dead. However in 2003 when Planetside came out, it was so innovative and I really thought it would pave the way for the future of the genre. Sadly SOE released a crap expansion 3 months after launch, to which a lot of people left because they were fed up with their management of the game. They then didn't touch the game until 2004 to which they released a lackluster patch called "The bending" which got rid of an island, replaced it with 4 mini islands and noone liked it. They then finally killed off the game by releasing BFRs which were totally overpowered and ruined everything. Even though they are useless today, the population never recovered and SOE ruined another mmorpg.  

However Planetside introduced an MMORPG levelling system, which still allowed for new players to be competitive. Also because it was PVP only, levelling up never felt boring and you always had that incentive to level up, to get a cert, so you could purchase more unlocks. Hundreds of people would fight seamlessly on massive Islands and each person could have their own vehicles from land to air and it made for some frantic mass scale battles. The FPS genre had never seen anything like Planetside before and it was the mass scaled battles which really set it apart and to include vehicles in that, made it even bigger. 

To this day no online FPS has ever gone anywhere near to the scale of Planetside, not even Battlefield, Not even MAG. Just a shame SOE killed it off, though they are making Planetside 2, so fingers crossed SOE have learnt their lessons... though I doubt they have lol. 

My two was hard to pick because it came down to Five Titles; 

- Return to Castle Wolfenstein 
- Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield 
- Tribes 2 
- Joint Operations 
- Battlefield 1942 

Sure there was Unreal tournament and Quake 3 that could be there but these FPS really came at a time when no many people had internet connections and I just remember lots of lag. On top of that they were pretty boring and got old really fast, never did anything that amazing for their time. 

- Rainbow Six 3 was an amazing game but it loses out because of poor controls and it was so buggy.  
- Tribes 2 loses out because it wasn't really popular with my friends and graphically it was ugly and buggy. 
- Battlefield 1942 loses out because to me the game was never really good until DC mod came and fixed it. Also Joint Operations is so much better. 

4. Joint Operations. 

Art wise it was pretty generic and not much to look at, however gameplay and scale is where it excels. It was the first FPS (that you didn't have to pay a subscription or download a mod for) to go to 150 players and the maps were huge, which a great day and night cycle. What tended to happen was because the maps were so big, you could easily sneak behind the enemy and hide in bushes and just wait for them to come pass. You'd be camping there for hours as it went from day and night, some how that was fun because that cycle gave it a sense of being a real battle.   

Now why I chose it over Battlefield 1942 for many reasons but the main one is the fact that vehicles were not overpowered. In Battlefield games they would dominate and Planes would just own up the whole map. However in Joint Operations you needed whole squads to be in them to make them effective, this really built up team play. Also they were mainly for transport, to just get around. So you'd have people who just became Black Hawk pilots and going back and forth to the drop zones, transporting players and that was their role. 

Really amazing game, great scale and had the gameplay mechanics to pull off proper teamplay which Battlefield has never done. 

5. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. 

Back in 2001 this was the first Online FPS I remember that really gave proper support roles. You could be a medic and revive people or give out ammo or just be a gunner. I also loved the class which had the air strikes, so the screen was constantly shaking because of them and felt so hectic. What really made this game for me is the map design more than anything, such great maps such as Deport (I think it was) and Beach. There were tons more and another innovative map was tram which had tram rides back and forth and was a lot of fun. The maps used to go in stages where you had to get the objective and again I'd never seen this before until RTCW.  

The only problem was they released ET in 2003 and killed the game off because then people just got the free version. Personally though I thought RTCW was a lot better, which much better map design. It was really the first online FPS I ever got totally serious about because it came at the time when I switched from 56k to IDSN (or whatever it was called) lol. 

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Capum15
@PapaLazarou said:
" 4. Joint Operations."
Because of this, I love you, in a platonic way though.

I was one of those Blackhawk Pilots you typed of. I was pretty dang good with the Blackhawk, but I was amazing with the transport Little Bird. Never battled that much, mostly just transported dudes back and forth. I could land in the weirdest places other people would never even think of. Sometimes the back of the island, sometimes (literally, mind you) on the front steps of an enemy bunker, and land and fly away without being touched. 

My favorite thing was hauling ass with a full load of troops, roughly 2 feet above the water, then going onto land and letting the troops off (while still only a few feet above the ground) and then take off to do it again. Also, I could fly through a forest with a Little Bird. I got a lot of "Dude, WTF are you doing?!" when I did that, then "Holy crap." when I landed safely (oh, and there was one A.I. map that was forest and fog, yeah, visibility down to ten feet, and I flew through it at top speed and never crashed).

...that was one of the two most fun times I've ever had while playing video games, ever (other one was WoW).

Hmm, just kind of realized how pointless this post was. Nostalgia kinda took over for a minute there..
Evans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Evans

1. Counter Strike: Source
2. Battlefield 2142
3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
5. Team Fortress 2

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

I thought you left ? or banned ....

Also this list is too PC biased for my liking

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thecleric
@turbomonkey138 said:
" I thought you left ? or banned ....  Also this list is too PC biased for my liking "
That's like me saying a top 5 platforming games list is too console biased.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138
@thecleric said:

" @turbomonkey138 said:

" I thought you left ? or banned ....  Also this list is too PC biased for my liking "
That's like me saying a top 5 platforming games list is too console biased. "
But were not talking about platformer games . We are talking about FPS which are on consoles also . Hmm perhaps the list maker is forgetting about ..Halo ? Call of Duty ?

now if this was a list called ...Best PC online fps shooters then i would be fine with his choice ...apart from Counter strike (which i hate)
Noted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Noted
  1. Quake 3 Arena
  2. Quake 3 Arena
  3. Quake 3 Arena
  4. Quake 3 Arena
  5. Quake 3 Arena
moush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By moush
@turbomonkey138: So you want him to include a console game to make you happy?  There are no console shooters that come even close to any of the games on his list.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

Really solid choices. But for me, the first UT would be up there instead of Planetside.

theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theDevilb0y

While Halo proved that FPS' can work on consoles, and Modern Warfare is undoubtedly one of the most popular online shooters ever, that doesn't necessarily make either of them the best. PC shooters were doing what console ones are doing now ten years ago, and although I would have made a couple of changes to the list personally I think most people who were PC gaming during what could reasonably be construed as the first golden age of the FPS would say that consoles are still playing catch up.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
@turbomonkey138 said:

" @thecleric said:

" @turbomonkey138 said:

That's like me saying a top 5 platforming games list is too console biased. "
But were not talking about platformer games . We are talking about FPS which are on consoles also . Hmm perhaps the list maker is forgetting about ..Halo ? Call of Duty ?  now if this was a list called ...Best PC online fps shooters then i would be fine with his choice ...apart from Counter strike (which i hate) "
This, i mean i know it's his opinion and all but halo 1 has a higher average rating than any PC game. Ever, despite 
@moush said:

" @turbomonkey138: So you want him to include a console game to make you happy?  There are no console shooters that come even close to any of the games on his list. "

Gotta keep an open mind i'm afraid... 

That, and you praise CS for having no ranking system and then go on about how you hate them, and then number 2 and number 3 on the list are sort of... yeah... Honestly though an FPS being about aim is completely and utterly outdated in today's world. Sure, games have to have some degree of it, but great FPS games simply don't revolve around accuracy. That is boring.  In chess there is no way to do the action of moving a piece better or worse, it's entirely where you place it. 

As for number 4... camping in the bushes... fun fun fun. And from what you've described sounds like the vehicles are completely underpowered. what is this doingonhere i dont even
theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By theDevilb0y

I'm pretty sure a chess analogy is better-suited to RTS games, since there definitely are better and worse ways to 'move your pieces' in an FPS.

I submit as an example of accuracy being fun in and of itself: Duckhunt.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By evanbrau

1:  Half Life series and its mods - impossible to overstate what the Half Life series of games did for online gaming. Mods like TFC, Counterstrike, Garrys mod, Natural Selection, Action Half Life etc etc etc. have revolutionised multiplayer fps gaming time and again.
2: Unreal Tournament 2004 - put this one over Quake 3 because of the sheer amount of mods and customisation that this game offered while also offering a fine core game multiplayer experience (something the Half Life games don't).
3: Quake 3 - Pure distilled multiplayer fps. No need for mods or any enhancements. Still feels and plays almost perfectly today.
4: Battlefield series - Nothing quite like assaulting a control point as some of your team mates provide support fire from an artillery piece or roll up in a tank/helicopter etc. 1942 had some great mods.
5: Call of Duty series. Chose this over Halo for the fact that it successfully bridged the gap between consoles when it came to online console gaming and the pc online experience finally giving console people what pc players had been enjoying for years.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

Not really. Nothing at all in modern warfare is particularly difficult to master, and having a terrible BR in halo 3 doesn't matter when you can get a banshee and warthog running.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cap123

1. Battlefield 2
2. Counterstrike: Source
3. Battlefield 1942
4. Quake 3 Arena
5. Call of Duty 2

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I won't make a list, because I know the fanatical basement dwelling PC monsters will eat me.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93
  1. Team Fortress 2

/thread
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BigBoss1911

Team Fortress 2 blows. This thread is missing Rainbow Six Vegas.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By damnboyadvance

No love for Battlefield?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

I'm gonna get so much hate for this. But I absolutely hate Counter Strike, and I can't see a reason why people still play it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damnboyadvance said:
" No love for Battlefield? "

I've never liked Battlefield mechanics reallly and the only good one was DC mod. BF2 was so buggy and broken when it laaunched and really did nothing new. Joint Operations had much better gameplay, just a shame the graphics are too dated now. BFBC2 just feels like a stripped down Battlefield game for the consoles and just doesn't do anything to impress, nothing innovative or new.

Also Battlefield games prior to BC2 had problems with Dolphin divers and floaty movement.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By thatfrood

>_>
<_<
Red Orchestra

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XxBarretxX

BY TODAY'S STANDARDS
1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - BY FAR!!!!!!!
2. Killzone 2 (even if you hated the "weight" feeling, the maps were great and cquads/class were good too) 
3. Team Fortress 2
4. Resistance 2
5. COD: Modern Warfare 2? (lol)

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatfrood
@XxBarretxX: All 2s!
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turbomonkey138
@moush said:

" @turbomonkey138: So you want him to include a console game to make you happy?  There are no console shooters that come even close to any of the games on his list. "

You can't just blanket ban all console FPS shooters my friend . MW2 sold ridiculous amounts and Halo completely changed the way FPS are played . One day you will have to come out of your ignorant Shell and see other platforms as equal to your glorious PC . (BTW i am a PC gamer)
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yukoei
@SJSchmidt93 said:
"
  1. Team Fortress 2

/thread
"
This.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ineedaname

CS does have a sort of ranking system with it's money, you need kills for cash, or to save money to buy the "better" guns. Replace the $ with XP and it's the same thing really, just no persistant. 
Though I'd have left 4 dead on there, it wasn't ground breaking, but man it was fun.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Planetside? OKAY BUDDY

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ace829

I may be flamed but I don't care. 

#1 - Halo 2.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Coombs

Not my list,
But some good choices none the less

Although most of the games you listed I know I wouldn't be able to pick up now and enjoy for any real length of time.
And being able to stand the test of time is a big part of being "Best of all time"

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoelTGM
@Noted said:
"
  1. Quake 3 Arena
  2. Quake 3 Arena
  3. Quake 3 Arena
  4. Quake 3 Arena
  5. Quake 3 Arena
"
Yup.  Not sure how you can do a top FPS list without Quake 3. 
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Meowayne

No Natural Selection?

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Coombs
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Noted said:
"
  1. Quake 3 Arena
  2. Quake 3 Arena
  3. Quake 3 Arena
  4. Quake 3 Arena
  5. Quake 3 Arena
"
Yup.  Not sure how you can do a top FPS list without Quake 3.  "
Easily?
canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By canucks23

I'd put CoD4 up there, seeing as that's what every online fps is striving to be now. MW2 doesn't have shit on CoD4.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoelTGM
@CaptainCody said:
" Fact: Most PC gamers are fags who revel in games 10 years old. "
nothing wrong with playing good games.  oh and, calm down, no need to call people fags.
Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Log
@turbomonkey138: The sales had more to do with being able to put a pot leaf on your fucking gamer tag than it did with the game actually being good.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HypoXenophobia

UT2k4 or bust

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thatfrood
@turbomonkey138 said:
"(BTW i am a PC gamer) "
See how your name is red? That is what happens when you join the site and select that you play games on Nintendo consoles, primarily.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Three0neFive
@CaptainCody said:
" Fact: Most PC gamers are fags who revel in games 10 years old. "
Fact: Most console gamers are immature little shits who use copious amounts of racial/derogatory slurs and are too shallow to play anything but the latest and "greatest" run-of-the-mill, auto-aim filled brown shooters.

Grow up bro.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainCody
@Three0neFive:
Thank god I'm not most console gamers :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel like I prefer most older shooters, because innovation really died around 2004 as the 360 came out in 2005 and took most of the PC franchises and started casual gaming. However I show that there is room for good new games with TF2 because Valve made a great game, just no one else is doing the same in recent years for the genre. Sure we're seeing BFBC2 and COD4 but.... they just don't innovate, so I find them boring. For me to find games interesting, because I've been playing them for so long. I need to see innovation, otherwise they play like all the hundreds of online FPS before it and that bores me. Like how EQ came along and then WoW innovated on that formula, now we have the hundreds of lackluster clones like WAR and AoC.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iam3green

good list only played 1 or 2 of them. counter strike source and team fortress 2.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fuzzyponken

Ordered in amount of hours played:  

1. Quake 3 Arena
2. Quake 2 
3. Quake(World) 

Don't think I've spent more than an hour or two in any other online FPS. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ArchScabby

Top lists are dumb.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ryax
@ArchScabby said:
" Top lists are dumb. "
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jkz

1. Counter Strike Series 
2. Battlefield 2 
3. Wolfenstien: ET 
4. Quake 3: Arena 
5. Call of Duty 1

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Vorbis

I wasn't expecting to see Planetside on that list, pleasantly suprised.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By nohthink

No doom? Really?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers