Top five favorite LucasArts adventure games.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cegoraph

Way before LucasArts were constantly cashing in for the Star Wars franchise, they've made some of the funniest and greatest adventure games of the past. Due to the poor sales of the excellent Grim Fandango, LucasArts shut down their adventure game developers division and focused solely on milking the Star Wars license. So let's us all take a trip to memory lane, and post our top five favorite LucasArts adventures games. I'll start with mine first. 

1. Grim Fandango
  2. Sam & Max: Hit the Road
  3. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
  4. Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
  5. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis a.k.a. the last good Indiana Jones game
9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 9cupsoftea

That list is exactly what I would choose too. I feel sad whenever I hear someone mention how awesome Grim was.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cegoraph
@9cupsoftea said:
" That list is exactly what I would choose too. I feel sad whenever I hear someone mention how awesome Grim was. "
It's sad because it was a game that should have sold more that it did. Grim Fandango has become the number one icon for overlooked gems. Hence the phrase: "the Grim Fandango effect", that is used for games that should have sold more than it did. It was often used for Tim Schafer's first game after Grim Fandango: Psychonauts. I'm still waiting for it's sequel, considering it ended with a cliffhanger.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max
Fate of Atlantis
The Dig
Monkey Island 2

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Von

Bah! "All of them!" is the obvious answer. I hope someone puts Full Throttle in their top 5 though.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cegoraph
@Von said:
" Bah! "All of them!" is the obvious answer. I hope someone puts Full Throttle in their top 5 though. "
To be honest, Full Throttle was one of my least favorite LucasArts adventure games. That's not to say I think the game is bad, I think it's a very good game. But I was let down by the game's incredibly short length and piss easy puzzles. What I really liked about it, is how it departures from many LucasArts adventure games. Besides being a witty, comical cartoon fantasy, it had a gritty and dark tone to it than any of LucasArts adventure games. Something that really stood out for LucasArts's line of adventure games.
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By butano
@Cegoraph said: 
  1. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantisa.k.a. the last good Indiana Jones game
I see your Fate of Atlantis and raise you an Emperor's Tomb! Though it did have some technical issues, it was still a great Indy game. Whipping baddies just felt awesome in it! 
Fate of Atlantis is definitely a great game, but I disagree that it's the last good Indy game.
Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cegoraph
@Butano said:
" @Cegoraph said: 
  1. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantisa.k.a. the last good Indiana Jones game
I see your Fate of Atlantis and raise you an Emperor's Tomb! Though it did have some technical issues, it was still a great Indy game. Whipping baddies just felt awesome in it! Fate of Atlantis is definitely a great game, but I disagree that it's the last good Indy game. "
I'm fully aware of the game, but unlike you, I'm not too fond of it. My views can be summed up by Jeff Gerstmann's review of the game, back when he was a senior editor for GameSpot.  
AlPacino56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AlPacino56

newtttttttttons and prooooooootons

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By velucyraptor
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mosdl

I really need to play Loom one day, just like that Scumm Bar pirate keeps telling me.  That and Indy 3, only lucas adventure games I haven't played.

Least favorite though is The Dig.

carminescarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By carminescarf

1. Day of the Tentacle
2. Loom
3.Grim Fandango
4. Monkey Island 2
5. Maniac Mansion 
special mention: Labyrinth

I just remember so vividly the first time I saw Day of the Tentacle on the computer. It was mesmerizing (for 1993, guys) and it was funny. Really funny.  
I loved Loom a lot because there were quite a few sound based puzzles.