Tv or Monitor and Ryzen or Intel

GloveSlipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Boy I hope I’m not stirring a can of worms with this one.

Im in the process of building a gaming PC. This community guided me that direction and I’m so thankful. It’s been so fun researching and designing. That being said, I’m lost as to whether I should go with a TV or Monitor and whether to go Ryzen or Intel. I’d love a 30 to 40 inch, curved set up as I have a short corner desk and I plan on using the PC for gaming mostly. Not sure that it makes a difference but I’m getting my hands on a 3080 luckily.

Thanks in advance for any thought any members share with me.

Thanks.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's your budget?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryzen.

Monitors are better because they have low response delay.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you want to use that Monitor/TV for any computing activity at all (like web browsing) get a monitor, your eyes/back will be grateful to you. 27" @4K right now is (to me) the sweet spot for monitors.

Avatar image for jackiechansuncl
JackieChansUncl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Monitor all day over a TV. I picked up an ASUS 27" curved 1440p monitor a couple months ago and I love it.

I will say, don't spend extra money on a monitor with HDR (my monitor has it). Windows 10 HDR features are subpar at best. Half the time I run into issues when I have HDR on.

When it does work though, it looks great.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Whether you get a TV or monitor depends.

If you’re only planning on using this setup for gaming AND you plan on using a controller the vast majority of the time, then a TV will be a good choice. If you plan on using this for anything other than gaming - and I mean anything - then get a 120Hz or better monitor.

If you plan on playing games with a mouse/playing text-heavy games/playing anything even remotely competitive, then get a monitor.

Intel processors are still very good and going with them isn’t a garbage idea... but currently Ryzen processors are the ones where you get the most bang for your buck and the ones that are currently pushing processors forward. I would strongly recommend going with a Ryzen processor.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

TV 60hz 4k hdr if you game with a gamepad like me, Ryzen is better right now but the stocks are extremely low for the new ones. TV's have been fine for me since I just use a gamepad anyway, and any mouse games would be strategy games that I'd still use a steam controller for tbh.

If your like into competitive FPS games with Keyboard and mouse probably get a low latency high refresh monitor, some of the newer tv's might have higher refresh and lower latency though (haven't looked since I'm fine with mine for now).

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, while it's always the best time for video games, it's literally the worst time to build a PC.

All the prices are JACKED. Put together a mid range PC for a buddy over the summer and threw in a 1650 Super, knowing it'd be silly to go 2xxx series with the 3xxx series around the corner. Card cost like $150 on Amazon. Now? $300-$400.

That's the price for the 3060/3060ti. Cept, it's not. Because folks want $600+ for those cards.

Unless you already have a 1070+/1650+ for 1080p, 2xxx or 3xxx series card laying around, waiting to be used, I'd probably hold off on building a gaming PC if you still need to buy a video card. Otherwise, you'll be sitting on expensive components while trying to game on a massively overpriced video card.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Topcyclist

@zelyre: I brought a prebuilt years ago. I got a AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor 3.50GHz 16.0 GB installed ram, windows 10 Home 2004 all for 1200 bucks. Thought it was a steal for someone who doesnt get picky with fps. Been gaming on laptops before that and am use to lower resolution just to play batman knight etc. Anyway, my stuff all plays nice and runs about high medium settings on games. I can go ultra too just some hitches but i don't noticed the difference eventually so i cool it down cause pop-in annoys me more than framerate.

TLDR: My question did I get a good deal. I keep hearing how everyone upgrades their pc and graphics cards this that and the third. I use to go nuts hearing GB crew begrudgingly call their 1060s fine years ago when i couldn't get one. Finally got one and everyone is up to some 34004 whatever. Am I always gonna be chasing the high? New to this all as a system gamer. At least on systems, I can wait for 10 years and games look generally ok. I believe pc's can play games even longer when turning down settings, so is there really a rush to always upgrade or can i run my pc for another 10 years.

PS. Will the cards ever go down or is it like PS5's on eBay. Will i be able to get a cheap 3060ti 5 years from now that can play games in 2026 on medium. Lol.

No Caption Provided

Last one....I have two tv's and use a dual screen. I searched around and cant find how to turn that thing on where both screens act as one big one. Not split but actually one whole. If you know let me know. Thanks.

GloveSlipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As always, thanks all. This community is always great!

My budget is pretty high as I don’t want to upgrade for awhile. Around 2k total.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zelyre

@topcyclist said:

@zelyre:

TLDR: My question did I get a good deal. I keep hearing how everyone upgrades their pc and graphics cards this that and the third. I use to go nuts hearing GB crew begrudgingly call their 1060s fine years ago when i couldn't get one. Finally got one and everyone is up to some 34004 whatever. Am I always gonna be chasing the high? New to this all as a system gamer. At least on systems, I can wait for 10 years and games look generally ok. I believe pc's can play games even longer when turning down settings, so is there really a rush to always upgrade or can i run my pc for another 10 years.

PS. Will the cards ever go down or is it like PS5's on eBay. Will i be able to get a cheap 3060ti 5 years from now that can play games in 2026 on medium. Lol.

No Caption Provided

Last one....I have two tv's and use a dual screen. I searched around and cant find how to turn that thing on where both screens act as one big one. Not split but actually one whole. If you know let me know. Thanks.

Right now at this moment, if my gaming PC blew up, I would get a pre-built as I can get one for less than buying components with bloated scalper prices.A few years back, my now wife's PC's power supply blew and took out the 970 that was in it. Ended up paying like $299 at Microcenter for a 1050 (not even TI MSRP was supposed to be like $120) that was a huge leap back in performance.

I'm on a five year old PC. If someone threw a 3060ti or faster at me for MSRP, I would be happy as a clam. For the games I play on my PC, my 1070 does well enough and I am playing at 1440p.

With a new console generation starting, it doesn't make sense to get a 1xxx or 2xxx series nVidia card. The 3xxx series at MSRP outperforms the old cards considerably while using less power.

Right now, Crypto craze is going on. It seems to happen this time of year. Factor in everyone wanting a new GPU and its scalper city. -Hopefully- by this spring/summer, we'll see pricing at or near MSRP, instead of double or triple.

For what you're trying to do? Um... on nVidia, hop in the control panel and go to display. Set up Multiple Displays. There's a wizard for joining multiple displays into a single viewing surface. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, as I have a 1440p monitor and 1080p display -and- I'm not sure multi-monitor on two monitors is something you'd really want to do even if you could. Your cursor would be smack dab in a bezel.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My budget is pretty high as I don’t want to upgrade for awhile. Around 2k total.

Assuming your PC is intended almost entirely for gaming, I'd suggest you're better off going Intel. Mostly because you can actually buy the 10900K right now, whereas the Ryzen 5900X is very difficult to track down. Those new Ryzens do perform better in most gaming benchmarks, but the difference is fairly small.

Not really sure how big a hurry you're in, but if it were me I'd probably just wait until the 5900X is actually available and the 11900K is out and benchmarked.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

When I recently upgraded to a new PC with a 3080, I decided to go with a 48 inch LG OLED. The reason for this is that HDMI 2.1 monitors have been very slow to market and doing high refresh rate at 4K over display port requires sacrifices. I'm sure great 120hz+ 4K monitors with HDMI 2.1 will come in time, but I didn't want to wait. The TV I went with is 120hz, 4K, and G-sync compatible, so it has everything I want for a high end gaming display. It also has the added benefit of being higher quality HDR than you're going to find on most, if not all, IPS panels.

The only drawbacks were getting my desk space set up to accommodate a screen of this size, but that wasn't too much of an issue and it's great now. Additionally, with an OLED burn in is a concern when using with a PC, but modern OLEDs have better built in burn in protection and taking minor precautions (such as not using a desktop background) can severely reduce the risk.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the decision.

Topcyclist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Wow thanks. Helps to get a quick answer. PC's man there a handful but fun.

zoofame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zoofame

Echoing the fact that this is the worst possible time to buy new hardware. Prices are anywhere from 50% to 500% over MSRP. It's a trifecta of COVID impacting supply, everyone (AMD, Nvidia, Sony, Microsoft, Apple, soon even Intel) relying on TSMC for chip manufacturing in the same quarter, and crypto gambling. Multiplying that is the fact that bots have adapted from scooping up limited run sneakers to buying out just about anything that can be scalped.

On the TV vs monitor front, most of the advice already stated is good. Unfortunately, monitor tech is about a decade behind TVs and phones.

If you want OLED for contrast, HDR, and picture quality the common wisdom is to shell out over $1k for an LG C9 or CX in the smallest size you can find. The downside is it's still too big for a desk but might be okay if you're playing games from a few feet back, the input lag on TVs is abysmal compared to monitors, and you're limited to 60fps. You will also want to hide any static content like your taskbar to prevent burn-in.

If you want high refresh rate and more flexibility in size and shape, you can try and find a monitor that fits your needs but it's still best to wait. Most monitors claiming to support HDR can't even get bright enough to actually achieve it. Even then you realistically need HDMI 2.1 to run at 10-bit per pixel color depth at 4k and high refresh rate, which very few monitors or graphics cards have yet.

So realistically it's best to wait a few months / year to see how things shake out. If you absolutely need a new machine buy a pre-built with the components you want as that's your only hope of getting something at a reasonable value.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

What is your budget? Any advice will be a bit meaningless without a full budget.

If you are buying it we can assume you have the other $2500 to buy the components that will surround that card...but maybe you are being given the 3080...so I won't assume.