Ubisoft thinks Japanese video games are favored to much!

• 124 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Warning... MASSIVE stupidity in this next link.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.385384-Assassins-Creed-Exec-Accuses-Game-Journalists-of-Subtle-Racism?page=1

I... I don't know what to say about this one. I honestly think this is one of the dumbest things to come from Ubisoft for... years.

Lets go over this, step by step.

"We were reading reviews about Revelations and a few people were asking whether this was the end of the franchise." When asked why Nintendo could get away with yearly installments while Revelations was criticized, Hutchinson stated, "I think there's a subtle racism in the business, especially on the journalists' side, where Japanese developers are forgiven for doing what they do."

Um... wat... Is this man joking or what? Did he even SEE the shitstorm that is FF13 reviews? Also... it seems to be more the opposite really. Western reviewers are more or less against Japanese games instead of forgiving from what I am seeing.

Next point.

"Hutchinson accused game journalists of praising Japanese games for stories that are "literally gibberish," adding, "then Gears of Warcomes out and apparently it's the worst written narrative in a game ever. I'll take Gears of War over Bayonetta any time."

This is so dumb... So so dumb... I think I have lost brain cells from how stupid this above statement is. I... cannot find words to express how fucking wrong and stupid this truly is. I can think of only two.

FUCK YOU!

I honestly think this is the most racist thing Ubisoft has ever done... I mean it. This is MASSIVELY racist IMO. He groups up the entirety of Japan and tells other people that our reviewers forgive them more due to the fact that Ubisofts Assassins Creed revelation was a cash in!? Also for the fact that Western reviewers are more hard on Japanese games as well?

This has got to be even dumber than a Cracked Article about video games from David Wong... it is unholy amounts of stupid.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

The last time you talked about racism, you got into trouble.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

While your arguments against Ubi are fairly stupid, I mostly agree with you. That PR guy lost me when he'd prefer Gear's story over Bayonetta's. The reason why ACR wasn't scored as well as previous games is because of middling returns. The addition of shitty tower defense also didn't help matters. Hopefully AC3 will blow me away as previous AC games have. I'd love to be a fan of the series once more.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Rohok

To be fair Japanese games are full of gibberish and if Gears of War has a terrible narrative then what the fuck was Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I agree with Ubisoft, the best thing to come out of Japan in years was Dark Souls.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kgb0515

To be honest, Binary Domain is the only Japanese game I have enjoyed in a long time.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gargantuan
@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I agree with Ubisoft, the best thing to come out of Japan in years was Dark Souls.

Yes, I agree 100%.
Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Cincaid

So Ubisoft is this mysterious, single entity? Cool stuff.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

My favourite games from SNES to PS2 were all made in Japan, they really just dropped the ball this generation.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nottle

I'd argue that Bayonetta and Gears of Wars stories are both pretty funny. Bayonetta is just super convoluted when it tries to tell a story, but then you get amazing action cutscenes. Gears is just kind of simple and dumb. Like 3/7ths of Gear's 3 is we need to get gasoline. I'd also say the characters in a final fantasy game haven't been the best since X. XII had some good ones, but Vaan kind of puts a damper on things.

Doesn't help the the only Assassin's creed characters i know by name are the protagonists, Volpe because he is a gray fox, and uncle Mario because he made that reference. Most of the character there are just kind of dull. FFXIII had a somewhat weak caste, but i can at least name them all. Hope, Snow, Sahz, Fang, Vanille, Lightning.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

A representitive from an American game developer says his products are better than people say they are? Shocking.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silvergun

Maybe he's been hanging out with Phil Fish too much.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I really don't mind you Jay, you just do your crazy thing and have fun you know?

But don't go making misleading titles okay?  

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And you're treating that one guy as the entire company, why?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldenglishc

Pretty sure racism doesn't mean what you think it does (Japanese game developer isn't a race), and no there is no anti-Japanese game sentiment in the media. That being said, that Ubisoft guy's complaints are the baseless rants of a dip shit.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cloudenvy

Oh Jay...

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Lukeweizer said:

A representitive from an American game developer says his products are better than people say they are? Shocking.

French?

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By QuistisTrepe

I'm frankly not seeing it. Japan hasn't been the center of the gaming universe for years now, so I'm not exactly sure why there would be a whole lot of bias in favor of Japanese made titles. The Ubi PR guy is also defending a franchise that is now on a nearly annual release schedule, quality is bound to take a hit while adding a hint of staleness. His arguments might have had some weight to them back in 2004.

If the title in question were an original IP that had undergone years of development that launched to generally widespread acclaim, then they might have had a point to stand on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Nothing refutes an unreasonable opinion better than a LOUDER unreasonable opinion.

He's right when it comes to Japanese reviews of Western games. But that probably has more to do with how corrupt their game media is. But not when it comes to Western reviews of Japanese games. Or at least, not anymore. I'm sure there was a time when it was true, but no.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jimbo

Accusing them of racism is a bit over the top. There's some flag-waving from journos for sure (Bombcast commenting on the integrity of euro press for instance, which is hilarious considering how GB came about, and how they ended up back there), but it's usually pro-wherever the journalist is from, not the other way around as is being implied here. That shouldn't really be surprising though, because the press and developers in a given territory are mostly catering to the same audience.

Maybe games from other territories are cut some slack in certain regards, because the journo appreciates that the game isn't primarily intended for their own audience. It would be silly and churlish to criticise a Japanese game for being 'too Japanese' in tone for instance.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By david3cm

The title of this post should read "Alex Hutchinson thinks Japanese video games are favored to much"

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten

Racism might be a bit much if you think about it. 
But thinking about it isn't your strong suit and going over the top is what you're good at, so keep it up Jay.  
I enjoy all your nonsense rants

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bane122

I see my explanation of why racism doesn't apply in these situations the other day didn't take. Let's make it simple and just say you need to stop using that word until you actually learn what it means.

@Jay444111 said:

This is so dumb... So so dumb... I think I have lost brain cells from how stupid this above statement is. .

I know the feeling.

On another note, what franchise does Nintendo put out yearly? I mean the same basic game every year like Assassin's Creed 2 through Revelations was. Mario's the closest I can think of and that's mostly because of the various New Mario Bros. titles they've been pumping out but even that has been broken up with stuff like Mario Land 3D and Paper Mario.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zombie2011

@GrantHeaslip said:

Gears of War's story was gibberish in a boring way. I haven't played it, but Bayonetta's story seems to be gibberish in a self-aware, Japanese-style crazy way. There's a less than subtle difference.

No Bayonetta's story is just plain dumb, so much so i just ended up skipping the cutscenes, because they were so boring.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By neoepoch

It is because generally Nintendo DOESN'T come out with yearly installments of their major franchises. Generally they are few and far between.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#27  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I'll take Bayonetta over Gears of War any day.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aetheldod

So lets see a westerner thinks japanese story lines are gibberish ..... nah I will take japanese over lame ass overdone boring hollywood like crap story any day of the week. Now he does hve a point about Ninty and their titles which have the same story over and over (Zelda , Mario) and yes they churn them out too often I think , but then again they are churning Assasins Creed left and right and that is more lame.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Live2bRighteous

This is just one of the many reasons why I 100% hate Ubisoft.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

@Live2bRighteous said:

Because an employee happened to say something stupid?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeforgotten
@BraveToaster said:

@Live2bRighteous said:

Because an employee happened to say something stupid?

On Giant Bomb, when one person, who happens to work as a game developer for whatever game company they might be working for, says something stupid. Then it's the whole company who said it and everything they made suck. 
That's how life is without using logic
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Bourbon_Warrior

@Lukeweizer said:

French?

You mean, am I French?
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mutha3

This is, like, the opposite of reality. I've seen way too much unironic praise for AC's nonsensical plot from western game journos.

Meanwhile, FFXIII got completely lambasted(rightfully, I think, but still).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Lukeweizer
@Bourbon_Warrior

@Lukeweizer said:

French?

You mean, am I French?
Ubisoft is French and their largest dev studio is Canadian.
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hoossy

I didn't know that Ubisoft was one guy

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But... did he wear a blanket on his head like in middle eastern countries?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Klei

@Jay444111

How do you explain that japanese people won't purchase consoles that aren't made by them? How do you explain that in Japan, the top 10 games are always some creepy-ass japanese games you never heard of? How do you explain that mos of japanese gamers never laid hand on the best video games out there in the rest of the world?

It is a form of racism, you know. They want to protect what is theirs and close their eyes on the rest of the world. Say, for instance, that I decide not to purchase American-made games, because I don't want to give you guys money. It is racism, in a way. Japanese people generally don't purchase games that comes from somewhere else. If you want proof, just look at the best sales in Japan during a whole year. So in one way, that guy from Ubisoft is right. Japanese people have it easier, because they build their games for themselves. You think FFXIII bombed in Japan? It didn't. It sold tons of copies, it was considered a major success. In one way, japanese are way behind the rest of the world with their current games. They don't improve, they just proudly stick to what they think is best, with a few exceptions of course.

Japan is in its own little bubble right now.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By cornbredx

This is dangerous of me but at the moment I don't have the time to read the article. Taking your word for it at the moment, this seems nonsensical of a stance for Ubisoft to take but knowing the things you write sometimes I'll need to read before I can form an opinion on it; so I'm going to read up later.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AngelN7
Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Anupsis

@Gargantuan said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Yes, I agree 100%.

That's not really the point.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Klei said:

@Jay444111

How do you explain that japanese people won't purchase consoles that aren't made by them? How do you explain that in Japan, the top 10 games are always some creepy-ass japanese games you never heard of? How do you explain that mos of japanese gamers never laid hand on the best video games out there in the rest of the world?

It is a form of racism, you know. They want to protect what is theirs and close their eyes on the rest of the world. Say, for instance, that I decide not to purchase American-made games, because I don't want to give you guys money. It is racism, in a way. Japanese people generally don't purchase games that comes from somewhere else. If you want proof, just look at the best sales in Japan during a whole year. So in one way, that guy from Ubisoft is right. Japanese people have it easier, because they build their games for themselves. You think FFXIII bombed in Japan? It didn't. It sold tons of copies, it was considered a major success. In one way, japanese are way behind the rest of the world with their current games. They don't improve, they just proudly stick to what they think is best, with a few exceptions of course.

...and your giving Jay company. Your main point is interesting, that Japanese games can succeed in Japan and don't really need national sales but it just gets muddled with that silly statement.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lukeweizer
@Brodehouse
@Lukeweizer
@Bourbon_Warrior

@Lukeweizer said:

French?

You mean, am I French?
Sorry, that's right. I shouldn't have specified "American". I was referring to that North American developer way of thinking that "My shit is the best shit."
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Turambar
@Klei said:

@Jay444111

You realize many of the AAA titles from first person shooters to open world games to action RPGs do come out in Japan and do rather well right?  And even with the existent stigma of the xbox in Japan, the "creepy Japanese game we never hear of" like idolm@ster was for a long time exclusive to said platform?

You and Jay are definitely birds of a feather in the "really stupid hyperbole" department.
Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Klei
Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Klei

@Turambar said:

You realize many of the AAA titles from first person shooters to open world games to action RPGs do come out in Japan and do rather well right? And even with the existent stigma of the xbox in Japan, the "creepy Japanese game we never hear of" like idolm@ster was for a long time exclusive to said platform? You and Jay are definitely birds of a feather in the "really stupid hyperbole" department.

You can sugar coat it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Japan has its own games and tops its own charts. That's it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lukeweizer said:

@Brodehouse
@Lukeweizer
@Bourbon_Warrior

@Lukeweizer said:

French?

You mean, am I French?
Sorry, that's right. I shouldn't have specified "American". I was referring to that North American developer way of thinking that "My shit is the best shit."

What makes you think this is a common thought among American developers?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Turambar
@Klei said:

@Turambar said:

You realize many of the AAA titles from first person shooters to open world games to action RPGs do come out in Japan and do rather well right? And even with the existent stigma of the xbox in Japan, the "creepy Japanese game we never hear of" like idolm@ster was for a long time exclusive to said platform? You and Jay are definitely birds of a feather in the "really stupid hyperbole" department.

You can sugar coat it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Japan has its own games and tops its own charts. That's it.

So what you're saying is Japan's love of Super Robot Wars is racism.  Gotcha.
AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AngelN7

@Klei said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Klei: What are you talking about?.... http://www.1up.com/news/call-of-duty-black-ops-tops-japan

dude stop.

Oh sorry, I forgot that one example from November 2010. It totally makes my whole post useless now, does it?

Oh, giantbomb community and your anal attitude.

It does since you didn't provide any acutal source or fact to that bold claim of yours "Japanese people generally don't purchase games that comes from somewhere else" you said you wanted proof? there's your proof but one that totally makes your point useless, I can link to you even more sales charts where American games top the Japanese sales charts but why bother when is clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ

Nationalism isn't racism, don't overreact.