daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daz0608
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24060

For those that don't know currently in the UK there are two age rating systems there is the PEGI which is the one that is used thoughout Europe and the BBFC which is the british one, they also do all of the Films and DVD's in the UK as well. The majority of games already are rated by PEGI and there are a few that are rated by the BBFC, puplishers were free to choose either one to rate their game.

There has been calls for a while for the UK to choose just one to make it eaiser for consumers, and the UK Government have choosen to go with the PEGI rating system, even though this is probably better for gamers, I'm suprised that they went for this one.

Because the rating is mainly for the parents and the BBFC ratings are more commonly know by people in the UK because they also do all of the Films and DVDs in the UK so if a parent sees this  they are more likely to recognise as opposed to having this on the box  obviously the parent should still be able to work out that the game is for an over 18 year old but the BBFC one is likely to have more of an impact. Also, as far as I'm aware, if the game has a BBFC rating on the box it is illegal to sale that to an under 18 year old but there is no law on the PEGI ratings. (Like I said not 100% on that one)

But I guess at the end of the day it is better for gamers it will probably mean that less games get banned, it is also a good thing as this will mean that the games industry is self regulated rather than getting the Government involved.

EDIT: With this new law it would make is so if a PEGI rating was at 18 it would be illegal to sale it to an under 18 year old
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah saw this earlier, makes me so fucking happy I always hated the BBFC and the way they carried themselves.

Besides, who cares what parents will recognise, it's legally enforced now so parents still have nobody to blame but themselves. That was the whole point of this battle, PEGI will now be legally enforced.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I support it. Why should a video game be judged by movie standards? That'd be like me reviewing Final Fantasy VII by shooter standards.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jerusahat
@Daz0608 said: 
...but there is no law on the PEGI ratings. (Like I said not 100% on that one)
I think Leigh initially overlooked that the Video Standards Council will be enforcing the PEGI ratings legally, and they'll have the option of banning games regardless of the PEGI rating. She's amended her article since.

Use of the BBFC always seemed like a bit of a hack; I think it makes sense for the government to centralize ratings to a board that's dedicated to the media. Giving the VSC the power to veto ratings and outright ban games could go either way, although I'd be surprised if things turned out badly.
daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By daz0608
@The_A_Drain said:
" Yeah saw this earlier, makes me so fucking happy I always hated the BBFC and the way they carried themselves.Besides, who cares what parents will recognise, it's legally enforced now so parents still have nobody to blame but themselves. That was the whole point of this battle, PEGI will now be legally enforced. "
Aww right that does make sense that this would now make the PEGI ratings legal

But about the parents, apart from the obvious to stop underage kids playing games, isn't that the whole point of rating systems so that parents can decided what their children play?

But yea I agree this makes it better all round
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Daz0608 said:
"
@The_A_Drain said:
" Yeah saw this earlier, makes me so fucking happy I always hated the BBFC and the way they carried themselves.Besides, who cares what parents will recognise, it's legally enforced now so parents still have nobody to blame but themselves. That was the whole point of this battle, PEGI will now be legally enforced. "
Aww right that does make sense that this would now make the PEGI ratings legal

But about the parents, apart from the obvious to stop underage kids playing games, isn't that the whole point of rating systems so that parents can decided what their children play?

But yea I agree this makes it better all round
"

Well, I mean the kid can't buy the game now (whereas before they could buy some games that were not BBFC rated) and so if the parent is not gonna look at the box and simply buy it for the kid anyway, they are gonna do that regardless off ratings label, i've seen it, I worked retail for 3 years and sometimes more than once every weekend you'd get a parent buying GTA for their kids to shut them up, I even asked some of them and was met with a varity of responses from " I know I shouldnt but it's to shut them up" to "Don't fucking tell me what to buy my kids asshole"
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon

I always preferred PEGI ratings to the BBFC. If there was already a system in place (which publishers themselves self-regulate) why would the BBFC need to get involved. All it did was cause confusion to parents because there was multiple ratings systems.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

w00t w00t for the UK!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By damswedon

PEGI age ratings are now colour coded link
edit: you have to remember that BBFC is the norm for movies as well people were seeing PEGI as an unofficial rating.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Azteck

Sweden's been using it for as long as I can remember... just sayin'

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
@damswedon said:
" PEGI age ratings are now colour coded link edit: you have to remember that BBFC is the norm for movies as well people were seeing PEGI as an unofficial rating. "
Eww I wouldn't want those on my game cover, I prefer the black and white.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By damswedon
@FlamingHobo: yeah they dont look good
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

A good move in the right direction.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_C

I didn't mind the BBFC, but it's good that all this has all been sorted out now. I imagine PEGI has greater resources to go through all the games and rate them promptly; i think that was a bit of a problem with the BBFC and wasn't great for publishers.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Hamz

Definately a step in the right direction in regards to keeping mature games out of the hands of younger players. A parent can still buy a child a mature rated game with the new system but the parent is now held more accountable for it. That and having two different ratings systems seemed absurd.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By damswedon

if i remember one of the Gamespot UK podcasts correctly, the BBFC have like 5 guys doing game reviews.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This is good news really. Many games have two ratings on the box, a BBFC one and a PEGI one. While they are usually the same rating, they can still cause confusion. Having one rating keeps everything simple. What they should do, is have PEGI rate the games, but use the far more recognizable BBFC design for the rating on the box. I'm sure it can't be that hard to work out a deal like that.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ish
@Video_Game_King said:
" I support it. Why should a video game be judged by movie standards? That'd be like me reviewing Final Fantasy VII by shooter standards. "
Why shouldn't it?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@The_Ish said:
"
@Video_Game_King said:
" I support it. Why should a video game be judged by movie standards? That'd be like me reviewing Final Fantasy VII by shooter standards. "
Why shouldn't it? "
Because video games and movies are two completely different things with completely different standards and entirely separate methods of interacting with humans. You don't use one standard for another medium.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ish
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@The_Ish said:
"
@Video_Game_King said:
Why shouldn't it? "
Because video games and movies are two completely different things with completely different standards and entirely separate methods of interacting with humans. You don't use one standard for another medium. "
But watching a guy shoot another gut in the face is pretty universal. Changing that situation into one where you are pretending to be that guy changes little in the way of the idea that someone is shooting someone in the face, and that deserves a certain rating. What does the BBFC do that is different from PEGI?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@The_Ish said:
But watching a guy shoot another gut in the face is pretty universal. Changing that situation into one where you are pretending to be that guy changes little in the way of the idea that someone is shooting someone in the face, and that deserves a certain rating. What does the BBFC do that is different from PEGI? "
But I imagine that actually being in the mindset that you have shot a guy (multiplied when you're playing a rail shooter) does more than just watching some guy get shot. And even though I'm not British (I'm from the Moon Kingdom), I'll say that I'm not a fan of a movie rating system being applied to video games. Don't cross the mediums!
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Steve_C
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@The_Ish said:
But watching a guy shoot another gut in the face is pretty universal. Changing that situation into one where you are pretending to be that guy changes little in the way of the idea that someone is shooting someone in the face, and that deserves a certain rating. What does the BBFC do that is different from PEGI? "
But I imagine that actually being in the mindset that you have shot a guy (multiplied when you're playing a rail shooter) does more than just watching some guy get shot. And even though I'm not British (I'm from the Moon Kingdom), I'll say that I'm not a fan of a movie rating system being applied to video games. Don't cross the mediums! "
There's obviously differences to be considered because of the interaction that's inherent to the medium, but the movie rating system was never applied to video games anyway. It was the same organisation, but there are different dudes and i imagine they're intelligent enough to judge games independently. There will be some cross-over between acceptable and offensive subject matter, but the game aspect is thought about. Case in point, all the Manhunt 2 shenanigans, whereas films like Saw and Hostel get released with little trouble.
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Ish
@Steve_C said:
"
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@The_Ish said:
But I imagine that actually being in the mindset that you have shot a guy (multiplied when you're playing a rail shooter) does more than just watching some guy get shot. And even though I'm not British (I'm from the Moon Kingdom), I'll say that I'm not a fan of a movie rating system being applied to video games. Don't cross the mediums! "
There's obviously differences to be considered because of the interaction that's inherent to the medium, but the movie rating system was never applied to video games anyway. It was the same organisation, but there are different dudes and i imagine they're intelligent enough to judge games independently. There will be some cross-over between acceptable and offensive subject matter, but the game aspect is thought about. Case in point, all the Manhunt 2 shenanigans, whereas films like Saw and Hostel get released with little trouble. "
But wouldn't that be an example of people being afraid of the effects of a relatively new medium? Saw and Hostel would never have come out in the 60's.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Video_Game_King said:
That analogy doesn't work, and yet some how it does...
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@The_Ish said:
But wouldn't that be an example of people being afraid of the effects of a relatively new medium? Saw and Hostel would never have come out in the 60's. "
Because movies were invented the in 60s. No, wait, the 20s. Yea, the 20s would work, since there were pricks back then who felt they were inferior to other, older mediums.
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Steve_C
@The_Ish: Perhaps, to some degree. It still indicates that they are being treated differently to movies though - with the interaction considered - which was my main point. The people who are rating these games are gamers themselves though. Maybe they are more prone to being stricter regarding content, given the new medium and it's fast growth, in addition to all the discussion about the correlation between violent video games and violent behaviour. However, i think they know games well enough to give a reasonable judgment and are not in that old mindset.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

We'll now we'll have to rework the ratings format on giantbomb...