• 59 results
#1 Edited by poisonmonkey (473 posts) -

Its nothing new for a newspaper or other media to try to degrade gamers or the games industry in general but when one of the most popular UK newspapers has a cover story both online and in the newspaper "Fanatics plot on Call of Duty" claiming that Terrorists are using Call of Duty for ideas and have the following story it just shows how out of touch some sections are, MCV have posted a very funny take of the story as well:

The Sun online story: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4205896/Terrorists-play-online-games-like-Call-of-Duty-to-plan-attacks.html

MCV take on things: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-sun-terrorists-using-cod-to-plot-attacks/093040

#2 Posted by willin (1409 posts) -

'Realistic... war games'.

Hahahahahaha, oh mainstream media...

#3 Posted by Masha2932 (1337 posts) -
Avatar image for james_giant_peach
#5 Edited by James_Giant_Peach (756 posts) -

"A security expert revealed: "Those who fight crime and terrorism keep up to date with technological changes.""

That is incredibly revealing. Thanks, Mr Expert.

"These games where developed initially to train US military, so there,s no shock at other force,s doing the same."

Good to see the commenters are just as enlightened.

#6 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

The Sun is just the absolutely lowest of the low when it comes to "journalism".

It really needs to die a death

#7 Posted by Wraxend (616 posts) -

...but Battlefield 3 is ok 'phew' lol.

#8 Posted by selbie (2571 posts) -

Guess who owns The Sun.

Rupert Murdoch.

/thread

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1234 posts) -

the sun is terrible

#10 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

@forkboy said:

I say put all the writers for The Sun and The Daily Mail in a hole and forget they ever existed.

#11 Posted by Shivoa (1590 posts) -

@Sooty: All? Some of them are surely fine people. You can't just call for the removal of everyone who has ever received a dollar from that despicable husk of a man. With IGN Entertainment being a News Corp entity and encompassing GameSpy and 1Up, chances are a lot of SF games writers (who you like and enjoy the writing of) have been paid by the Australian criminal in their time for work.

The Sun is terrible, pandering to fear and ignorance rather than trying to spread any news. Anyone who has any interest in being informed should avoid it like the plague. But maybe there are some decent writers stuck there, needing the money to keep going and with a lack of viable options, with editors and higher ups twisting what they write to suit the paper's narrative.

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (10812 posts) -

Clearly the terrorists will prove skilled at crouching next to those M-COMs.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8193 posts) -

@Shivoa said:

@Sooty: All? Some of them are surely fine people. You can't just call for the removal of everyone who has ever received a dollar from that despicable husk of a man. With IGN Entertainment being a News Corp entity and encompassing GameSpy and 1Up, chances are a lot of SF games writers (who you like and enjoy the writing of) have been paid by the Australian criminal in their time for work.

The Sun is terrible, pandering to fear and ignorance rather than trying to spread any news. Anyone who has any interest in being informed should avoid it like the plague. But maybe there are some decent writers stuck there, needing the money to keep going and with a lack of viable options, with editors and higher ups twisting what they write to suit the paper's narrative.

I was just talking about the writers of those two newspapers. I have literally never seen a good article in either of them.

#14 Edited by I_smell (4221 posts) -

I also make my plans while playing Call of Duty.

They're just like us. 

TERRORIST PLANS INCLUDE: "ur mom", "bitch stop bein a bitch" and "u faget, uh u faget, quit bein a lil bitch".

#15 Posted by Firepaw (3136 posts) -

Oh god! The terrorists will attack us while they are running towards us, jumping in the air and spinning around, trying to no-scope us! And then they will stop and teabag their victims! And after one of them get 5 kills, they'll call in a predator missile!

WE'RE DOOMED!

#16 Posted by Tylea002 (2382 posts) -

The Sun.

Hilarious.

#17 Posted by chyler1397 (495 posts) -

maybe they are still mad about the colonies and those terrorists uprising against king george

#18 Posted by RoboRobb (1094 posts) -

The Sun is a complete discrace.

#19 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1851 posts) -

@forkboy said:

Yeah, but you guys need tabloids too! What else will you mercilessly laugh off as "not news!"

#20 Posted by Boboblaw (495 posts) -

Oh shit if its in The Sun then we best believe it.

But I really wish they'd get back to hacking phones for stories.

#21 Posted by sideslash (2 posts) -

@Boboblaw: They do do that.

But seriously, I am in the UK, and I don't pick up any tabloid's (aka the 'red-top' press).

#22 Posted by Example1013 (4854 posts) -

Not...trolling?

#23 Posted by Sweep (10595 posts) -

Remember when the Sun was a respected newspaper with thoughtful and even-handed commentary on current events?

No, neither do I.

#24 Posted by poisonmonkey (473 posts) -

@Sweep: Me either come to think of it!!!!

#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14608 posts) -
Ah, more of the high quality journalism we have come to expect from The Sun.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
#26 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5263 posts) -

Don't worry, nobody takes anything The Sun print seriously.

#27 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp:

A world without the tabloid press would probably be one spiralling slightly slower towards an impending doomsday where our own petty prejudicies implode on ourselves.

#28 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@Sweep: Allegedly it wasn't always the 2nd largest turd in the world of British newspaper publishing (after the Daily Heil of course), but 5 years into its life it was bought by sleazy Australian scum-merchant Rupert Murdoch. Apparently when it was launched "the new paper was intended to add a readership of 'social radicals''. HAH, how things change

Thank fuck it was CBS & not Fox who ended up in control of Giant Bomb, that's all I can say! I have a personal boycott of all News Corp services. If Sky Sports pick up the rights to the UFC this summer I will be one sad panda.

#29 Posted by PenguinDust (13092 posts) -

@Masha2932 said:

WEALTHY INDUSTRIALIST CONSIDERS BUILDING AN UNDERWATER PARADISE AFTER PLAYING VIDEOGAMES. -

For some reason I originally read this as "underwear paradise"...I thought the answer was Zak's Island from the DOAX games.

By the way, I remember when the revelation was a big thing here in the states, but do they still have "page 3" girls in British papers?

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
#30 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (1017 posts) -

It's the Sun, what are you expecting? It's almost as bad the gaming media when it comes to appealing to the lowest common denominator.

#31 Posted by poisonmonkey (473 posts) -

@PenguinDust: Yep

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
#32 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (443 posts) -

Because the most efficient way to plan a terrorist attack is to use fictional settings (countries aside) designed for quick, snappy action.

Also it's The Sun, so I'm not surprised.

#33 Posted by Aaox (1674 posts) -

Calling The Sun a Newspaper is a bit like calling a half decomposed squirrel lying in a ditch a gourmet meal.

Although, that having been said, I love this article, if only for the ripe opportunity for scathing social satire it presents.

#34 Edited by Neurotic (635 posts) -

Don't worry about The Sun, no-one else does. People read it for tits, not informative, educated journalism.

#35 Posted by Elazul (1351 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@forkboy said:

I say put all the writers for The Sun and The Daily Mail in a hole and forget they ever existed.

What? Where else am I supposed to read poorly-written, made-up stories about footballer's eating habits? WHEEEEEERE?!!

#36 Posted by time allen (2329 posts) -

do you honestly expect me to go to their website? i aint doing SHIT.

#37 Posted by LordAndrew (14608 posts) -
Never look directly at The Sun.
#38 Edited by VisariLoyalist (3135 posts) -

@Masha2932 said:

That is just dumb. Next thing you know the sun will be looking at other games for inspiration.

You know what guys, we all know this is dumb so let's make some silly possible gaming related Sun headlines. I'll start:

WEALTHY INDUSTRIALIST CONSIDERS BUILDING AN UNDERWATER PARADISE AFTER PLAYING VIDEOGAMES. -

PORTABLE GAME BLAMED FOR RECENT PRISON ESCAPES

OUTRAGEOUSLY FABULOUS COSMOLOGICAL MONARCH ORDERS MINION TO ROLL UP INNOCENT PUPPY; JAPANESE SHROOM SIMULATION GAME TO BLAME?

Katamari Damacy

#39 Posted by CookieMonster (2543 posts) -

I think the Daily Mail and the Daily Mirror are far worse than the Sun.

#40 Posted by bybeach (6354 posts) -

@selbie said:

Guess who owns The Sun.

Rupert Murdoch.

/thread

Murdoch is excrement in human form. He hasn't done any good for the US media either. Just the personification of yellow journalism that news sites and organizations have been sinking into, centered around personalities and bait words rather than factual reporting. And this goes just as much for the liberal slanted..It is bad for ALL, just not my favored side. They are all Murdoch to me.

#41 Posted by Gruff182 (1065 posts) -

Damn good job they don't play battlefield! I don't want them learning how to pilot tanks and jets, after teleporting to the drivers seat!!

#42 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@CookieMonster: The Mail is certainly worse than The Sun. The Mirror is probably a little behind The Sun in the "utter scum" stakes, especially now that Piers Morgan has somehow managed to thrust himself on our poor American cousins.

#43 Posted by Vorbis (2762 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@CookieMonster: The Mail is certainly worse than The Sun. The Mirror is probably a little behind The Sun in the "utter scum" stakes, especially now that Piers Morgan has somehow managed to thrust himself on our poor American cousins.

It's alright, Daily Mail didn't want to be left out so they are covering the story aswell.

#44 Posted by SerHulse (710 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@forkboy said:

Yeah, but you guys need tabloids too! What else will you mercilessly laugh off as "not news!"

Don't worry we get Fox News over here...

#45 Posted by c0kemusheen (66 posts) -

British newspapers have been and always will be a crock of shit.

#46 Posted by RagingBrain (52 posts) -

Oh Rupert, will you never learn! :D

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14797 posts) -

The terrorists are going to tea bag us to death aren't they?

#48 Posted by efman (218 posts) -

Hah, The Sun, a beacon of sheer wisdom.

#49 Posted by forkboy (1650 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

@forkboy said:

It's alright, Daily Mail didn't want to be left out so they are covering the story aswell.

Phew! The world would not be right if the Mail missed out a chance to jump on a moralising bandwagon about how something people under 80 do is evil!

@RagingBrain said:

Oh Rupert, will you never learn! :D

Rupert is many, many things, most of which would be unprintable in a daily newspaper, but he's certainly wise, think how many people have clicked that article! Selling people stories to play up their fears isn't pretty, it isn't honest, but it is financially wise. Good news isn't really news unfortunately

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
#50 Posted by weegieanawrench (1965 posts) -

The Sun is a garbage paper over here in Toronto too.