UK pro-notbeingfat campaign: Gamers bound to die young

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

To be fair this is only one of the ads the campaign "Change4life" uses, another one being of a kid eating cake but this ad I as someone who happen to enjoy video games am actually mad about and apparently i am not the only one.

The TIGA (British pression (?) group in favor of the video games industry) already took it up to justice. The ELSPA (the Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association) who actually is involved in the many talks about video games with the British ministry of health has pretty much no idea how this could have happened since it are the same people who they discuss how the industry is doing their best to make people more active could decide and fund such a campaign.

The UK magazine MCVUK hand in hand with Atari went to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) to complain about the message the ad is showing.

Finally Sega came out and said how they where displeased that out of all the passive forms of entertainment the less passive one is once again under attack.

Wonder how Sony will react when they get to see the PS3 associated with premature deaths.

No Caption Provided

(I had to translate this article to English so there might be some inconsistencies)
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well, I have not seen that ad before, but seeing it now I can see why it has caused an issue. Obesity is on the rise in the UK and for a while now we have had the highest rates in Europe, as a result there are campaigns to rectify this.

It's not good advertising anyway you look at it, there are far better ways of promoting good health.

Sony will be pissed.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I'm all for child obesity and shut-in gamers. The more kids that grow up with no social life and health issues, the more likely I am likely to succeed.

Call me cruel if you like, but they do call it "survival of the fittest" for a reason.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Snipzor

Ah yes of course, the "Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association" or NAMBLA.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

How does playing video games mean you don't exercise?
I don't get it.

Call me crazy, but these are equal to your health.

No Caption Provided

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By samcotts
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

How does playing video games mean you don't exercise?
I don't get it.

Call me crazy, but these are equal.

No Caption Provided

"
Wait, what just happened? I agreed with your post.
Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ryu

I agree with it, if I personally spent the time that I played games with on playing football I would be alot healthier than I am now.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

guys

he's holding a ps3 controller

If i did that for a long time i would certainly wish for an early death

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NukeGoBoom

So is this pretty much
"Living long and unhappy > Short and happy"
Well thats stupid.Also kid looks like a drug addict.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
crunchUK said:
"guys

he's holding a ps3 controllerIf i did that for a long time i would certainly wish for an early death"

crunch, come on.  The Ps3 kicks ass.  Great console.

Getting back to the topic at hand, what's wrong with indulgence exactly if you balance it properly?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I bet that kid can't drink a Coke in 8 seconds.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolverine

Okay well at least you move around in Wii games and plus as long as you exercise on your own you can play games without getting over weight.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Once again, video games are the scapegoat of the ignorant in an attempt to justify their cause and bring attention to themselves. I exercise and play video games (though not at the same time, instead I usually listen to the GBcast) and would consider myself "somewhat fit".

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
ArbitraryWater said:
"Once again, video games are the scapegoat of the ignorant in an attempt to justify their cause and bring attention to themselves. I exercise and play video games (though not at the same time, instead I usually listen to the GBcast) and would consider myself "somewhat fit"."
You should play DDR.  Once you get good at it it's 20x more fun than Guitar Hero when you first got it.
Bigdonkey1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bigdonkey1

kid looks like an arsehole anyway

if he wasn't playing games he'de probably be off pushing other kids over and stealing bicycles or whatever it is children do nowadays that isn't games

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Endogene

update, sony is going for a lawsuit on the basis of them not having agreed that their product would be in this advert (according to MCVUK).

Konami came out and say that it is bull pimping the DDR franchise at the same time.

Codemaster's Rod Cousins commented that once again the government has no idea what they are doing stressing the fact that the industry has been sponsoring sport events and diverse charities. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I used to run on the treadmill, while using a wireless mouse to move my dude around, while being AFK in Warcraft battlegrounds. Got my merciless gladiators gear, for free, woo!

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Disgaeamad
Endogene said:
"update, sony is going for a lawsuit on the basis of them not having agreed that their product would be in this advert (according to MCVUK).

Konami came out and say that it is bull pimping the DDR franchise at the same time.

Codemaster's Rod Cousins commented that once again the government has no idea what they are doing stressing the fact that the industry has been sponsoring sport events and diverse charities.  "
Thank god they actually done something. I'm fucking sick of this country going insane about how gaming kills everyone instead of focusing on more important matters. Hopefully this makes them shut the hell up for a while.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
NukeGoBoom said:
.Also kid looks like a drug addict."
iknorite those eyes just scream out I LIEK WEAD
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Maybe some of us have no aspirations for long life.  Ever think about that?

Personally, I don't wanna live past 50-60 years old!  Why?  Because I don't want to be a mooching welfare old fart running around doing nothing but being senile.  If I died tomorrow, I'd be mostly okay with it.  Sure, I didn't have any kids or get married, but I enjoyed my string of life.

So...who the hell is to say that people can't die young?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus
jakob187 said:
"Maybe some of us have no aspirations for long life.  Ever think about that?

Personally, I don't wanna live past 50-60 years old!  Why?  Because I don't want to be a mooching welfare old fart running around doing nothing but being senile.  If I died tomorrow, I'd be mostly okay with it.  Sure, I didn't have any kids or get married, but I enjoyed my string of life.

So...who the hell is to say that people can't die young?
"
Roger Daltrey (of the Who) sang the song "My Generation," and sang simply "I hope I die before I get old..."

He's 65 now and still touring with Pete Townshend. Things change, you might want those last 30 years of life someday.

Although, I'm 18 and support just about every bad habit out there. In fact, right now I'm off to get some Chinese food then play more X-box.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187
TooWalrus said:
"jakob187 said:
"Maybe some of us have no aspirations for long life.  Ever think about that?

So...who the hell is to say that people can't die young?"
Roger Daltrey (of the Who) sang the song "My Generation," and sang simply "I hope I die before I get old..." He's 65 now and still touring with Pete Townshend. Things change, you might want those last 30 years of life someday. Although, I'm 18 and support just about every bad habit out there. In fact, right now I'm off to get some Chinese food then play more X-box."
Roger Daltrey is also a millionaire and the lead singer of The Who.

I'm 26 and live in Waco, Texas.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

While the advert has good intentions, it is poorly worded and it comes across as scaremongering rather than being informative. It raises good points to do with the activity levels of kids who play games, but fails to follow it up by making it clear that games themselves are not to blame, and it's the whole lifestyle of these kids, and that they need exercise and a well balanced lifestyle of which video games can be a part of.

I don't think this was intentional, I think they rushed the advert out and the message they wanted to promote was very different to the way it actually comes across in the advert.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MachoFantastico

Folks, the reason the ad campaign even exists is because our government know they are going to lose the next general election. People hate Gordon Brown and the Labour Party, they are just doing all sorts of crap now because they know they'll soon be off. 

This is such a stupid campaign, why target gaming? I don't really understand that, especially as the gaming industry does the government a lot of good financially.